Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

HGH posted:

If you're having trouble navigating the arena, you can go up the stairs to fight in a bit more open space or get a height advantage, but honestly him getting stuck on random stones and trees is usually helpful.

With a long weapon, you can cheese him through the tombstone cluster right in front of you as you enter the arena for the first two phases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There's an extremely bullshit boss about two hours in that has an instakill gimmick the game doesn't in any way make obvious. That was the real turn off for me.

Is it the one with a few stone gazebos in his arena? I think I threw in the towel on that one.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CrRoMa posted:

I've always wanted to do a playthrough of one of the souls games with a magic-build or even the gun focused build I'd read about in Bloodborne but then I just get an axe and smash everything in

DS1 sorcery is the best for this if you ever end up committing. You can get three large damage multipliers very early in the game (4 if you want to live dangerously and use the RTR alongside PW) and just melt bosses. We're talking Iron Golem dead in 3 casts without use of the RTR.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

haveblue posted:

Half the time the hints remove all the mystery from the puzzle, half the time they're too obtuse to help anyway.

It lusts for destruction...

But a fool it is not...

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea she's legitimately the best gold hostess. the side quest hostesses are generally better than the generic ones, but that one was always the most useful for me

She's only good at one thing (she's actually not bad for Party, but that's not why you use her), but she's super-good at it and the returns to being all-in on what the client wants are high.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

...! posted:

If you're going to do this, always spend ALL your money on vials right before taking on a boss. The price jumps up (sometimes by an obscene amount) after every boss you kill.

Only for certain critical-path bosses (Gascoigne, Amelia, Rom, starting NG+).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CordlessPen posted:

getting rid of the stupid pop in from 30 feet in front of you

I'm on a PSPoor and get that for grasses while riding on Agro.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I got OoK solo on my second try, and I have no idea how. Never even pulled off a parry. It's probably one of my top 5 life accomplishments.

I don't think it's ever taken me more than two tries to beat him, which amazes me because it's always a tough, close fight and there are way easier bosses I've struggled with.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Morpheus posted:

I can't even remember what's going on in DS2, and I beat it - literally the last boss showed up and I was confused as to who she was and why I was fighting her.
One day you will walk those grounds without really knowing why.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

haveblue posted:

Still dumb that you have to go 30+ minutes without saving, especially since later on in the game it will give you secret checkpoints before boss fights.

Don't do the prologue on hard.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm not. Puzzle section =/= tomb. Don't care what the map icon says

That ice ship was sweet though.

Great, now you've spoiled that there's a boat level.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

xxEightxx posted:

Is there a fast way to remove friends in bulk? I can only figure out how to do it one by one which takes forever.

Change your profile name to xXCreedFan1488Xx.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I tried to die the first time I played the intro (on Normal), because I'd heard you got one of the endings from that. It was too much trouble to actually manage to die so I just finished it normally.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
How well does KC:D run on a release PS4? My laptop is pushing 7 years old, and it'll be a while before I get a new one because I'm waiting for post-Meltdown chipsets to come out, so it's the console life for me for now.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

exquisite tea posted:

I don't want a Twin Peaks video game because so many devs have already done Twin Peaks, but I do want to play a David Lynch original game.

Or a David Lynch spin on another IP:

Macross: Gerwalk With Me
You Don't Know Jack: I Don't Know Jack
Infamous: Second Son, What Have Ye Done

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

2OOM

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Any reports on how GoW runs on non-Pro PS4s?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Also you're now probably levelled enough to do the parade mission when you run across it again.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Oddly enough, the game that GoW reminds me of the most is Kingdom Hearts 2.

It's also nice to see that my "That's Norse Dickie Bennett" reaction to the Stranger was actually correct.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
One of the harder aspects of GoW is remembering all the tools you have at your disposal when you're in the middle of combat.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
One thing GoW is really good at is giving you a steady feed of new stuff to do. It'll have to run out eventually, but if you like exploring then new quests and areas will show up quite regularly as you go along, and old areas are often worth revisiting a few times as the game progresses.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wrex Ruckus posted:

How the hell do you beat the disco queen in 0

Iirc you want the song on the highest difficulty level, because she'll sometimes break her combo. Don't mess up.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The marketplace fight in early GoW is kinda BS on higher difficulties, and encourages the most boring way of playing (axe throws only) because you do chip damage with your melee hits and can't build stun effectively yet, while you're surrounded by ~6 enemies including heavies that can't be staggered by normal hits and who do ~1/3 your health per hit. Things smooth out a lot by the time you reach the lake (aside from the realm tear with level 6 enemies), but the troll bosses will still force you back into axe-throw-for-chip-damage mode.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sakurazuka posted:

The best part of Souls type games is exploring the intricately designed levels and Chalice dungeons are just a bunch of straight hallways connected together which is why they suck

Then sometimes you get things like the final boss of a level 5 Ihyll being a Bloodletting Beast standing in a room whose entire floor is oil, and you sigh as you unsheath your Fire Saw Cleaver. And you just go to town on him and it's magical.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Even nowadays during my Scholar replay of 2 I have a lot more ease of use, though the actual quantity of people is smaller than when I was playing 3 and its DLCs during their prime time. I can drop a small soapstone and reliably be summoned in. Even with Soul Memory 2 has been pretty consistently the easiest time I've had with From's network, though I can see 3 being potentially better for co-op if my experience was unique.

The small soapstone was the greatest innovation to souls multiplayer, and it's criminal that it didn't show up in 3.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Attitude Indicator posted:

the correct way would be the way that makes it fun for you.
P5 has new game +, so if you care about maxing everything you can do it on a second run if you feel like and just play the game normally on the first run.
I think you can max everything on the first run, but you will have to follow a guide religiously.
Generally I'd recommend doing the dungeons as early as possible, so you don't have to worry about the timer for the rest of the month and can spend that time bumping up social stuff. Prioritise which character/skills you want and just focus on those when they are available. If they're not, do something else. The only really mistake you can make is not doing anything productive for a day.
Leveling up the maid gives you extra time through the day, so that's a hot tip. As well as leveling connections with playable characters for extra skills in dungeons.
On my playthrough I got several things maxed out with just casually playing and not stressing about stats. I know this is a jrpg and it breaks people brains, but just chill and you'll be good.

Aside from this stuff:

The cutoff for leveling Sun is much earlier than other confidants, and his availability is erratic, so give him a slightly higher priority. His NG+ carryover ability for maxing out is also really good.
Always carry an unfinished stat-raising book, in case you get a free opportunity to read without using normal time slots.
The "read all books" achievement is probably best left to NG+. Ditto for the "complete all retro games" achievement and fishing. Wait until you've been to a location before reading the associated location-revealing book, because that way you can read it without using any time. There are books available from a secondhand bookstore location you'll find later in the game, probably as part of a confidant link.
There's a juice bar in one of the subway stations that sells stat-up juices that don't use time to consume on Sundays for 5k.
Level Death early so she sells SP-recovery-every-turn accessories. Break your piggy bank to get them for as many characters as you can, because they allow you to maximize your dungeon progress per afternoon/evening. Death is best girl.

These should help you get more done without having to meticulously plan which links you're doing to figure out what stats you need/get.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

I said come in! posted:

I am obsessed with Persona 3 & 4 but honestly don't like Persona 5. Maybe i've just grown out of anime, but the characters are pretty much completely unlikable to me. A few of my other friends that love the Persona series ended up not enjoying Persona 5 either. I like Morgana, but that is it.

Let's not do that today. Shouldn't you be going to sleep?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

beep by grandpa posted:

Hmmm kh1 feels like a polished ps1 3d platformer- stiff and clunky but the fundamentals are strong enough to keep your interest high imo. The combat's fun and you get lots, of fun abilities. But kh2 cleans up those issues significantly and moving is much, much smoother and I think almost all if not 100% of the platforming challenges in 2 were removed. Don't expect a PlatinumGames joint but I think you'd end up liking them.

Just definitely do not try to follow the story closely & don't let the starting prologue area color your expectations of the entire game because it is bruuuuutal but only like an hour long.

Any other KH bros feel free to jump in if I'm super wrong or you got a stronger comparison, effort phone postin sucks.

KH1 has a lot of exploration aspects that I missed in KH2; abilities like high jump and glide allow you to go back and access things you couldn't before, and there are puzzle rooms/mazes in places like Wonderland and Monstro. KH2's combat is a lot tighter, more focused on building and executing ridiculous combos, and doesn't let you get by on spamming heal the way 1 did.

Gummi ship stuff can be an interesting distraction, but is largely unnecessary to engage with beyond the bare minimum.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Manatee Cannon posted:

they pick from the movies, not the rides. there's no space mountain world either

the haunted mansion movie sucked so it follows that there wouldn't be a world for it in kingdom hearts

The rides appear to be summons in KH3.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Instant Grat posted:

What the poo poo is up with this??

"After rising to prominence as a vlogger, Warren has no experience in government"

Is it illegal to hire good copy editors in France

No but they scheduled the proofreading pass for August.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

fridge corn posted:

I keep seeing things about fallout: miami or there was a fallout: cascadia or something idk youtube recommended viewing that I didn't bother clicking on

You might be thinking of Fallout: The Frontier, which is a mod set in the Portland area. I don't think it's finished yet, and it's been in production for years.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
That music choice for Fallout 76 seems contrary to the policy of what years they could draw music from. Or was that just Obsidian's policy?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Half joking but I'm a few hours in (currently beating my way out of the Dojima family) and this problem of the Empty Lot seems like it calls for whatever the Japanese equivalent of eminent domain is rather than pitting crime bosses against each other in a race to beat the deed out of some mystery guy.

Yakuza 0-related stuff: Traditionally, eminent domain was supposed to be used for public purposes like roads, not to clear the way for private development. That changed with Kelo v. New London, where the city decided that increased tax revenues constituted a public purpose, but it's still frowned upon. Japan seems to have very weak eminent domain laws to boot; the first result I get when googling "japan eminent domain" is "Eminent Domain laws in Japan notoriously weak" from the Japan Times in 2010.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CrRoMa posted:

I'm having way more fun with FF15 than i thought I would. I still can't work put what the combat system expects me to do other than mash O and occasionally hit square but its such a lovely world and maybe the best looking game on ps4.

There's a surprising amount of depth in the Royal weapons, each of which has its own moveset (and one that mixes together a bunch of them).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zas posted:

you're literally naked and afraid in the end of mgs2

You're literally Naked for almost all of MGS3.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Is alchemy no longer a major source of phozons in Leifraser? I used to abuse level 90+ material potions in the original, but now it looks like they only go up to 9 and that takes a ton of ingredients rather than multiplication.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I found Deadly Premonition to be an absolute slog. Endless load times, awful combat and driving, horrible controls.

Did you by any chance ever get a car other than the police car? That one kinda handles like crap.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Manatee Cannon posted:

sure can. the store gets new options each time you pick up a new hunter badge

the cleric beast should have dropped the sword hunter badge so check the shop again

Sword hunter badge isn't what he needs.

Check the sewers and go whole hog.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Morpheus posted:

Man I didn't realize disco was such a sticking point for so many people. I really enjoyed that minigame, getting the highest rank on all the songs almost immediately after unlocking it. It was just a matter of running circles around the designated spot as much as possible before the time when I had to press the button, usually I could get three or four extra steps (typically more, if I remember right) before pressing the button.

Getting good scores on the normal mode isn't that hard. The problem is dance battles against Isobe and whatshisname in Kamurocho where the AI throws in tons of extra steps each beat to build their score multiplier and very rarely messes up (it's actually easier on higher difficulty levels purely because the AI will break their combos more often).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

beep by grandpa posted:

WHat PS4 games have the biggest tits

Many Soul Calibur have the big bap.