Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Beat Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, and holy poo poo what a fantastic game! The combat is wonderful, the tactics are pretty deep, the graphics are beautiful, and the story is great. I remember adoring the original game when it came out and always defending it. Glad to see that it is so much better received with the remaster/remake. Though, I did play the game in "Classic Mode" and the combat was notably lacking. Then again I just played the introduction stage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is it safe to order Persona 5: Steelbook edition off of Amazon? Or will they still cancel the order due to defect issues?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Can I use this PSN card to renew or will it not work because it's from a foreign country?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Psn-Pl...dIAAOSww9xZI6da

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Midjack posted:

Probably will only work if your account is from Spain. Maybe work in other European countries too.

I see thanks. My membership ends on July 7th. If I renew a yearly membership now, will it last me to this time next year or until July 7th, 2018?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Pablo Gigante posted:

July 7th, PS+ renewals stack so you can add time whenever you want with no worries

Yay! :D

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How is that Attack on Titan game?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Liver Disaster posted:

The 3ds one is p good.

And PS4 one?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Liver Disaster posted:

Reviews are saying that it's way better than the 3ds version.

Thanks. I'll likely pick it up when it's even cheaper.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I saw the giant bomb quick look for that game a while back and the swinging around looks cool in the same way the better spider-man games are cool

Would it be wrong if I wished this game would be motion controls based like Rodea the Sky Soldier?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 28, 2017

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Remasters such as the Zelda remasters or Odin Sphere are fantastic ideas. I just dislike HD ports being charged for more than $10.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I find it crazy that the PS4 is at the end of it's life cycle.

I feel that the system really hasn't done enough to differentiate itself from the previous generation to carve out its own.

I mean, with the exception of Bloodbourne and NiOh, pretty much every game I've played on it was either a literal last gen port, or a multiplatform game that would easily fit on last gen consoles.

Yes I realize it's going to be five years, but compare the PS2 or even the PS3 from their first year to last. Seems much more stark.

Am I just getting old or am I not alone here?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 23, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I know this sounds cliche, but I feel that as time goes on, there seems to be less and less need for a powerful console. With the exception of select few genres (battle royale, sandbox), there aren't too many types of games that will notably benefit from hardware more powerful than even ten years ago.

When I used to think of getting more powerful hardware I'd think of getting more revolutionary games like Grand Theft Auto III that pushed the gameplay through the hardware. But now, not so much.

nopantsjack posted:

I think its had better exclusives than the other consoles though (although Xbox basically loses by default so thats not saying much) on top of BB and Nioh (ported to PC now) it also had HZD, GoW and 1500 Yakuzas

This may be part of it. I don't care much about super cinematic games.

Shadow225 posted:

I think that you are overestimating the power of the last gen consoles.

I just played the original Dark Souls not too long ago. Wasn't that much different than Bloodbourne.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also your memory of last-gen consoles is probably clouded by nostalgia, the last-gen port of the original Shadow of Mordor looked like garbage and that was years ago

The game looked like garbage even for it's time. It couldn't handle the high-end nemesis system.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 23, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Microsoft is comfortable just having the Xbox be the multiplat console.

Most gamers don't care that much about exclusives so much as just simply having the game.

Also keep in mind, to most console gamers PC gaming, especially high end PC gaming, practically doesn't exist.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

That's true, I guess Xbox 1 was comparably barren. Though by the end of it's lifecycle ps3 had a handful of good exclusives. Xbone has... Genuinely don't know.

The Xbox was essentially the dumping ground for Sega's remaining Dreamcast games. Though to be fair casuals were uninterested.

It also had Halo which was the second biggest franchise of that generation.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

If ps5 is just a more powerful console that does nothing different it would just be great. They'll find a way to gently caress it up though. I'm personally worried about a kinect style VR push.

I sincerely hope they just make a pro2 hardware upgrade. Call it ps5 and declare it's full backwards compatable!!!!!!! Fully in on incremental advances if you can solve the marketing problem of numbered consoles and what's to old to play what. But I feel with cellphones the dumb public understands sometimes poo poo gets old and doesn't run new stuff, works on iOSx.x or higher is not confusing anymore.

If they did an incremental advance every 2 years I would upgrade, every other time probably.

Incremental upgrades will likely be easier to do now because, as I said, more power under the hood locks out fewer and fewer types of games these days.

The issue will be how Sony will convince users with older PS4s to upgrade to a newer PS4 with fewer killer apps that grab the hardware by the horns. Similar to what's happened to PC gaming.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Their only real exclusives for the XBOne were Halo 5 and Gears of War 4, and Microsoft poo poo the bed on both counts apparently (I fully admit I've played neither due to not having an XBox One, just going by their reputation). Even the Master Collection of the older Halo games is unplayably buggy in multiplayer. You know, the thing that sold Halo games.

It's unbelievable how far Halo has fallen in popularity from its glory days. I feel that only Street Fighter rivals it in terms of a series going from cultural phenomenon to run of the mill release.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Xbone's best exclusive by far is Rare Replay.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I'm currently playing Ni-Oh.

I just beat The ice lady who wields the spear/scythe. How far am I into the game?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

Eeh halfway I think? Also your total playtime depends on whether you do side missions or not

Thanks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So I'm fighting the Sphere Samurai boss in the battlefield in Nioh, and this is the first boss I legitimately have had trouble with. How do I defeat him?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Shy posted:

You mean Tachibana?

No. He's older, uses a spear, and when you get rid of half his life, he uses lightening.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

RatHat posted:

His living weapon doesn't last forever so try to play really defensively when he has it activated and wait for it to run out.

I have the most trouble just hitting and dodging him. He's surprisingly nimble and his attacks are fast and do a lot to drain my Ki.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I beat this boss maybe a week ago and had some trouble as well, but this stuff is what worked for me:

- If you have the gear for it and have put some levels into Omyo, equip as much Omyo mage gear as you can, anything that ups your casting speed

- Since he's a human boss, do whatever you can to deplete his ki. I used lifeseal and sloth talismans in addition to moment and spirit guardian talismans. If you have a combo with kick for katana or dual swords, this helps too. Eventually you'll wear him down enough for critical strikes.

- Use whatever gives you the fastest and farthest dash. I used dual swords mostly in low stance to quickly dart in and out. You do not wanna be caught by his leg sweep or Kazuma Kiryu headbutt. Same goes for when his spear is imbued with lightning.

- Your mileage may vary, but I used my pokemon persona spirit guardian at the very beginning of this fight rather than the end. I had enough Ninjitsu for a power pill which increases your attack. I just popped one quickly and wailed on him enough for a critical strike or two early on.

Thanks.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I've said it before but MGS5 should have been like 10-15 Ground Zeroes sized bases, with all of the optional gameplay stuff of GZ and some boss fights. Ditch the open world.

It would have been one of my favorite games of all time.

I keep saying this. I had more fun with GZ than TPP with its bland open world and dozens of mediocre bases. Quantity doesn't equal quality.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So is the Soulsbourne series taking a long hiatus?

I recall Miyazaki said that Dark Souls 3 would be the last Souls game or something.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 20, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

From wants to own its ip now instead of churning out games for bamco

So essentially they will make a game that is to Dark Souls as to what Dark Souls was to Demon Souls.

I can't wait for Death Souls.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I can understand why From doesn't want to be Kojimafied with Dark Souls games. For reference they have been straight working on Souls games for almost as long as Kojina was straight working on Metal Gear from Metal Gear Solid to Metal Gear Solid 4.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's the perfect time for them to make a powerplay as a critically acclaimed developer/publisher. The Activision thing is a bit of a coup for them, actually. They retain all the content rights, they diversify the list of available partners for future projects, and that puts Sony, Namco/Bandai, Atlus, etc in the position of bidding for their upcoming projects...which have been successful time and again for over a decade.

In Miyazaki We Trust

Miyazaki really is a great visionary.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I'd be interested to see how Senriko is, being that From Software's non-Soul games were known to be either mediocre or "good".

Manatee Cannon posted:

they made a game a year for 3-4 years

After a three year gap between Dark Souls 1 and 2, and then after those three games they haven't released anything again until 2019 at the earliest (another 3 years).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

So is Kiwami a remake like Resident Evil or did they just redo the graphics and make a few changes like in Windwaker HD?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Couldn't they mean overseas in terms of Asian countries instead of Western ones? IIRC the series is a powerhouse in Asian countries outside Japan.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

...! posted:

Prey is pretty much System Shock 3. I'm guessing you've never played the System Shock games from your "Bioshock + horror scifi" remark; when Bioshock was made they basically just took System Shock (which came first) and removed all the horror and sci-fi. I recommend playing 2, which has held up remarkably well and has a lot of fan patches and mods to keep it relatively current. 1 would be a bit rough to play, though.

For anyone who likes System Shock, pick up Prey. You won't be disappointed.

I hated Bioshock but adore System Shock 2 despite playing SS2 long after Bioshock, due to the exploration and just overall gameplay being better. I guess Prey is essential for me?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Akuma posted:

I’m the Technical Director at the studio porting Yak0 to PC. I pushed for us to go for it when the job came up and it’s been amazing.

Thank you so much!

You should push for Persona 5 next.

Edit - Actually I'm curious, why are these Japanese companies so skiddish on porting to PC?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 23, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Am I the only one shocked that next gen consoles will likely be announced next year? Still seems like this generation is still has so much life left in it, but it had already been five years!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

haveblue posted:

Or at least after the launch period, when the initial bugs have been ironed out and the second wave of games is starting to show up.

This is what I do. Got my PS2, DS, 3DS, Wii U, and Switch during their second wave and it worked out great. Got all the games I wanted in one go.

Got the Wii two weeks after launch and the system was collecting dust for months until Super Mario Galaxy and the Virtual Console began gaining steam.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Me it was like February 2014, I had an extremely heated argument with someone I thought was my friend just after they got fired after I stuck my neck out for them and they weren't the person I thought they were

Please, do tell more.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I got my PS4 because I played fighting games at locals and tournaments and people kept saying PC was inaccurate and the PS4 was tournament standard accurate so I got a PS4.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

When I played PT it was me just walking around in circles for ten minutes, but nothing happened.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I can't wait until PS4 emulation so I can play PT again.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Bloodborne gets a mention since it's the only decent Japanese character action game

OMFG!!!!!!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Is there a way I can download PT if the PS4 I have never had it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

What's a bigger power gap?

PS2 vs Xbox or PS4 (base) vs Xbone (base)?