Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Some of the reviews have pointed out in a non-spoilery way that Kratos' past is central to the plot, that it's not a total break from the mythology of the first three games.

The reviews have been very careful about talking about the story. I am guessing some serious poo poo goes down. Surprising since the story in GoW was always just Kratos killing gods and nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Infinitum posted:

What's the over under on the kid dying in Dad of War?

I am going for the shyamalan twist of Kratos dying and the kid becoming the next "god of war" which is what the whole journey is about.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Samuringa posted:

Kratos dies in every single GoW

He does die a lot. I do think someone will die in this one as well even if it is a fake out.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Montalvo posted:

I'll probably do what I did with Horizon Zero Dawn and play Dad War God like 1 year after it releases after renting it for 5 dollarydoos. For some reason getting in on the ground floor of single player AAA games isn't that appealing to me. I'm looking forward to reading about people's impressions of it though, and I hope people like it!

Ya this is what I've done this gen as well. Just wait for the game to drop in price and also by that time there is an special edition with all DLC. Only reason to play at launch is if you want to be in the zeitgeist even if there is a possibility the game will be in a better/more complete state later on.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SettingSun posted:

I'm willing to bet based on pedigree alone that they greenlit a trilogy while this one was in development.

Ya I actually remember reading this somewhere or hearing it. I thought it was confirmed trilogy in Norse mythos. Probably will have the rest of series on PS5 or w.e sony makes next.

quote:

I'm gonna pre order and play dad of war on release day because playing new games when they are new is exciting, because I like to support people making good games that aren't multiplayer lootbox filled shite, and also because I have zero impluse control

The thing is I have bought many games on release but never played them due to a huge backlog. So for me it is just better to wait for a sale so even if I buy it and don't play for a few months I won't feel as bad.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If the new Spiderman game doesn't have the Nickelback from this movie it freaking sucks.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zas posted:

mannn kojima's camera work is still really really good. all the shots in this trailer are so great.

Camera and music in Kojima trailers is always top notch.

Feenix posted:

Aside from some animation jerkiness (could be fixed by release) Ghost of Tsushima... extremely my poo poo.
So is Nioh and Sekiro.

2019 is year of the Japan Game

Ya I hope they all come out in the same year. Would be cool to see their different takes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

The 3 games will play differently enough to co-exist unless Team Ninja or FromSoft really revamp their formulas for action games. Nioh is driven by missions/chapters that you grind out for gear. Tsushima is way more cinematic, story-driven open world game. Sekiro is gonna fall between the two of those, with enough FromSoft kooky poo poo to keep it fun.

Really just buy all 3 like any cool person is gonna do, like me.

Ya pretty much. I don't understand people saying the 3 feudal japan games are all the same. Also it isn't really a period/setting that has been explored in video games since ps2 days(minus Nioh) so I am hyped. Tsushima had some frames/shots that looked like something out of a Kurosawa movie.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Morby posted:

Onimusha was my poo poo back in the day, and Ghosts reminds me of that. It’ll be a day one for me. Same with Sekiro.

Need to play that Spiderman, too.

There was a trademark leak for Onimusha a while back. It seemed to hint at a remaster/compilation. Ghosts combat does seem slower paced like Onimusha but Onimusha had heavy horror vibes especially the first one. I am sure there will be some creepy moments in Sekiro but it seems more of an action game thus far.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I am playing AC in order right now, I am at 3, I skipped revelations since I don't have it.

So far it isn't bad but certainly a big change from the big cities of Rome. I can't wait to get to Ac4 which everyone says is amazing.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Anyone know where to get a power cord for ps4 pro? I found some for PS4 not sure if the same works.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

univbee posted:

Here are the two types of PS4 Pro

For the top kind, you want this cable (with the right wall end for your country)

This cable has three prongs which is typical for these types of cables. Most consoles, including the PS4 Pro, don't have a ground pin and generally come with a 2-prong version of the cable, but a 3-prong cable will work totally fine and is probably easier to find since they're generally for desktop PC's which universally have the ground pin.

For the newer models, you want this cable (again with the right wall end for your country)

Eh I have model that i guess is in between? CUH-7116B. Would the 3 prong work for this?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lambert posted:

All models but the newest ones have the "kettle" cord (3 prong). Including yours.

Sorry I didn't understand so mine is 3 prong or 2 prong?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Does ps4 pro work on a ultra wide monitor?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

univbee posted:

You can't set games to render in 21:9 if that's what you're asking. My best guess is it'll display the picture with black or grey sidebars on the left and right side. Maybe you could set it to zoom and then set your display-safe area in the console's settings to the lowest value, but I'd be surprised if that worked at all well.

Ya ok, I was thinking it would just add black bars wasn't sure. Thanks.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Augus posted:

Holy poo poo Half Life 3

No it was another vaporware.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Aerith looks like such a cool character can't wait to play with her in my party and hope nothing bad happens to her.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just saw the Ghost of Tsushima story trailer. The game looks absolutely gorgeous, the story looks pretty good which is a + for a suckerpunch game. I just feel like if the combat is as fun as the infamous games this could be a big *hit.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 6, 2020

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

GOT looks cool and I’ll probably buy it right away but their marketing has been so cinematic focused that it hasn’t really sent my hype levels through the roof yet. They should release a couple more gameplay videos.

Ya that's the one thing i am worried about which is weird to say about a suckerpunch game. Even the little gameplay they showed look very cinematic which is not something I am fond of.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

If so then holy poo poo no I am not going near that game.

Either way I haven't even beaten Sekiro yet. Or Dark Souls 3 for that matter. I told myself that no matter what I wouldn't buy any more games that are similar to ones I hadn't beaten yet.

Sekiro is absolutely a masterpiece imo. One of Fromsoft's best games up there with BB/DS1.

Star Man posted:

I don't like Crash 1 very much. I'm just shitposting out of protest because gently caress Nintendo and their apparent ownership of nostalgia.

I struggle with the N. Sane Trilogy. The vehicle levels in Crash 3 are so awful to play and I can't seem to adjust to playing with the new control of the remakes.

I never played the games originally but the remaster I did, 1 was my favorite, 2 is not bad but I still haven't finished it and didn't like it as much as 1. That bridge level on the first game is legendary for a reason.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Almost done with Uncharted 4. Man this is a brilliant series, I am normally more into gamey games and Uncharted gameplay is barebones as hell but the characters + writing is top notch from Naughty Dog. The visuals also really help elevate the voice actors performances.

Only disappointing thing is that the set pieces aren't as good as the previous games or too similar to them.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What's the opinion on Infamous Second Son? I just play the exclusives on my PS4 and been getting whichever ones are cheap. Everyone seems to have forgotten about this game, I loved Infamous 1&2 on ps3. It was a very fun superhero game with great movement and cool powers although 2 kinda got repetitive with very similar powers.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I honestly like First Light better because it doesn't have a morality system, the game doesn't have as much filler, and the powers are my favorite in it.

Eh I totally forgot the "good/bad" powers system. It was forgettable even though it seemed like an interesting idea. You don't need the base game for First Light I assume, I will get it whenever it goes on sale.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

Decided to delete my Demon's Souls because I realized I was going for a STR build which I already did last time (with a Meat Cleaver)

So now I started as Royalty named GoonWiz. I've never actually done a mage build in Souls and apparently magic is super OP in Demon's

Ya you get homing soul arrow super early and that poo poo hits hard. Enemies/Bosses are all very easy to kite in DeS.

The tech demo is impressive but getting a full game of a world that size will be hard.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

FF13 has a fantastic battle system and an absolute dogshit everything else.

Except the music, that was good.

100% agreed. Although the combat/paradigm shift takes a while to get going.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Housh posted:

Ghosts looks like something between rockstar and ubisosft but boring and forced. I hope it’s not.

Ya that kinda sounds spot on, Suckerpunch's worlds are normally lifeless but the character is really fun to play as. This looks like both might be lifeless.

Anyway I think I will give Suckerpunch the benefit of doubt, I haven't played the last Infamous but for the most part they don't really make BAD games and I love the setting so I will get it day 1.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

This is what absolutely everyone in this thread said about Control, have faith.

Ya I always like to go with an open mind no matter what the fans or media is saying if the game interests me even a bit. Although it doesn't work out always, I remember saying the same thing about Anthem and ya that turned out into something special...Thankfully I only had it from the Origin pass thingy.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

On the talks of Mongol representation in video games, they do have that stereotype of being a barbaric horde that just invades like a swarm. From what I've played, I only remember being able to play Mongols in strategy games like Total War or Aoe2. They are represented pretty well in those games as a incredibly strong combat based faction.

Also I think for a historical period to be romanticized properly the ancestors of said population need to be influential in some way. Japan, Italy, China are all great examples of this. They had dominant historical civilizations but their ancestors also survived to tell the tale and glorify their deeds. I mean Mongolia is still a place but it has less people than LA alone. That and the fact that nomad tribes weren't into writing or keeping records.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Evil Canadian posted:

One thing I really dig about Ghosts of Tsushima is the fact you can go full on warrior, or at least seemingly so? There are so many countless games with the stealth and all that crap, I like there's an actual mechanic for you to just state "Hey I am here out in the open come fight me cowards", its different.

Ya the stealth might be broken but just looks like straight QTE, melee armor looks baller but the game will probably make sure you try out both so we'll see how stealth feels.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

bows1 posted:

I have had Orange Box on Xbox, PS4, and my mac and I still play through Hl2 and Portal frequently. Some of my favorite games ever

Best thing about Orange Box was TF2. Too bad it never picked up steam on the console side.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just started Last of Us remastered. Like 3-4 hour in, it's pretty good thus far even though I had really high expectations. The atmosphere and the world feels really great, reminds me like the best of Walking Dead and I Am Legend in terms of setting. The presentation and production is top notch as usual for Naughty Dog, although I just played Uncharted 4 but that is their newer game so it's a bit better there. Also there is actual gameplay unlike Uncharted which is the most generic TPS ever. The survival/stealth mechanics are nothing new but the atmosphere ND puts in the game really elevates it.

That being said so far I feel like the story up to this point has been fairly predictable. The only thing I knew coming in was Ellie and Joel's names. Hopefully that changes as the game goes on.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

Last of Us was one of a very slim volume of games that my wife wanted to watch me play from beginning to end, ie, I could do what I want and play without her, but it would have been on par with skipping ahead on a show we were both watching. Mainly she either doesn't care at all, or she'll maybe look up if it sounds like something wacky is happening, so that really says something about the quality of presentation. Doubly so because she's way over anything zombie or zombie-adjacent.

I think predictability isn't really a bad thing if you nail the telling, which Naughty Dog generally does. They've also never told a story that I'd rate better than "aggressively competent FX series", but in the world of video game development just being reliably adequate at conveying a story like an adult speaking their native language basically makes you Steven Soderbergh.

Eh the last sentence is true even if I wish I could say games had better stories. Naughty Dog have really pushed the narrative side in the industry and props to them. They are also one of the few devs who push diversity in their games so I don't mind supporting them even if sometimes the gameplay in their games is average(uncharted mainly). I was just imagining Nadine in Tlou setting and thinking she would gently caress poo poo up.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

drat Genichiro is a complete roadblock for me, he feels so satisfying to fight but man im being schooled. He's the first boss I've taken more than 2 "sessions" to beat.

I feel i can dodge his overhead slam and his grab 95% but when he steps back, jumps then shoots he gets me every time.

That definitely is the moment that makes or breaks the game for most people. It's my favorite fight in the game because even though there is better fights afterwards it really is the moment where you know this game is something special. That boss took me a lot of time too because I was playing the game incorrectly up until that point.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I played Demon's Souls after having played DS1 and DS3 and it's still my favorite Souls game. Valley of Defilement and Tower of Latria ftw

Mah Man! Ya that is honestly some of the best level design by From in terms of pure atmosphere. As you go through the level, the level itself tells a story.

Tower of Latria is a prison for the insane and the boss at the conclusion of the area clones herself during the fight. Even if you kill her she respawns making the player question his sanity. Did I really kill this piece of poo poo or no? As soon as you leave the boss area the fog gate returns. What brilliant design. Of course you have to destroy the critter at the top of the church, to kill her perma but I feel like a lot of players will miss it in their first attempt.

Valley of Defilement isn't as oppressive as Blighttown but it is a lot grotesque. Probably one of the most grotesque level by From to date. The Astrea boss arena with the dead fetuses pulling you down is something else. Also it's a really unique fight and the theme for the boss is a great Piano track.

DeS definitely isn't the best Souls in terms of action but it's probably still the most unique in terms of level design, boss design and not just because it came out first. It was my first Fromsoft game and my first PS3 game so I do have lots of nostalagia for it. I still have my PS3 but I haven't hooked it up for a while, definitely interested in replaying it. Just waiting to see if I should play the OG version or Bluepoint are indeed remaking it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Yo what's up with zombie fiction like Tlou/Walking/IAmLegend where cars rust in a extremely fast time span? I mean wouldn't the only real issue be the oil change and reving up the engine when you first start it. Literally in the chapter in TLOU where you can't find 1 single operating car in a massive city filled with cars.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

haveblue posted:

TLOU takes place 20 years after the outbreak, that's not extremely fast

Wait I thought after the intro it skips 10 years later and not 20.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Saint's Row 1 is pretty grounded and mainly about gang warfare but the series gets more over the top with each sequel. I feel it went a bit too far with 4 but at least they are trying new things .

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Still playing through Tlou remasted, gotta say there is a lot of bricks laying randomly around. Also Ellie is so useless, I know she is a child and Joel tells her in the narrative to stay safe but goddamn I been mauled so manytimes it seems random when she helps.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Backward compabtibility on PS5 would be amazing. I use to not care about the feature at all in the past but my gaming habits have changed over time and I tend to replay games a lot more now than before.

Can someone answer how would BC work for digital purchases? You just redownloaded/link your account? Cause I have almost no physical discs for PS4.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

acksplode posted:

No one knows, Sony has barely said anything about it. If you'd like a vision of how good BC might work, check out how Xbone does it.

Ok nice, don't have a Xbone but if we could get backward compatibility like that it would awesome. Also one of the few things Microsoft did well this gen is backward compatibility improving games performance for certain titles. Like I know you can play Ninja Gaiden at 4k 60fps on Xbone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Finished Tlou remasted and the dlc. It was drat good and it actually has decent gameplay compared to Uncharted games which are the most generic tps with no replay value. I still don't think I will replay TLOU since the story is such a big part of it's strength but the gameplay isn't bad either. Story wise I didn't have any complaints as usual ND nails the character relations and dialogue better than anyone. They do give you new weapons at a good pace but the enemy design is the same. I mean really no animal infected? Such an easy way to have more enemies than just bandits/clickers/bloaters. There is almost no difference between clickers/runners in how you approach them. I really hope they either add a few more boss fights like David or increase regular enemy variations for the sequel.

Another thing that bothered me, I have only seen the footage from last year for TLOU2 but I hope if you play as both Joel/Ellie there is more of a difference between them. If I remember correctly the only difference is that Ellie's knife never breaks. To ND's credit they did kinda differentiate the Ellie sections by giving you no weapons so you did feel like helpless child at times but another thing they could have improved on.

I don't think its a perfect game for me cause the gameplay issues bothered me but a few improvements in the sequel and it could be there. Also the OST is godly, more acoustic in my osts please!