Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Wandle Cax posted:

Speaking of controller features, what are some people's favorite uses of the speaker and lights. I liked how in Mad Max during the final mission you can hear ghostly voices through it. I like how in Rise of the Tomb raider the light changes colour depending on the light source lara is using.

SAVE THE LAST HUMANS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Electromax posted:

Steer clear, Bloodborne only runs at 30 FPS if you can believe it.

Ha, a stable framerate is something left for lesser games - Bloodborne might run at 30 FPS if it feels like it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I need help with screen settings (not 4k stuff) - some of my games (Darkest Dungeon, Atelier Sophie) seem to have their screens bigger than my TV, and so a part of the display is cut off. I've tried minimizing the display size in options, but it changed nothing. Normally whatever the game display size is corresponds to what I set in Options (and I've set it to the edge of the screen), so I don't know if it's a problem with those particular games, or is there anything I can do - it's not a huge problem, but it just looks bad.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Check your TV settings for something that mentions 'overscan' and see if messing around with that does anything.

Regy Rusty posted:

I ran into this same problem last night with Jotun. I tried fooling with my tv settings but couldn't find anything wrong there either. It's weird.

I managed to fix it in the TV settings - for some reason, the picture size option "16:9" is a different option from "fit to the screen", but changing the option to the latter made it work correctly. It was in the "Picture" tab in my TV's settings.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
It doesn't actually matters if you have a good Internet connection, as one evening of servers being down or the ISP having technical troubles would render the always-online machine useless, and that's enough of a downside. Even sending a signal once every blue moon isn't a great solution, as you never know whet the Internet will be down.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

lol, I always thought it was a joke, but it's actually real - amazing.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Kin posted:

I never played the original but I did feel the combat was a little clunky.

Overall it was really great though. Except the way they handle saves.

I chose the wrong option from the start menu after finishing the game and it wiped my new game+ save in favour of a new game from scratch.

There's no way of coming back from that I believe.

I concur, this "you have one save and can't save at will" system is atrocious - I'm not opposed to auto-saves, but they took it too far. Thankfully it seems to save often, but I'd still rather have at least "save and quit" option, and even that isn't a given.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Scorps posted:

Yeah make sure you eat the XP buff food also, I did it just 1 entire duration of food (so 30m I think?) and got all my guys from 60ish to high 80's. TBH I don't think you really need to go higher than this to kill Adamantoise it just adds some padding for stats and makes it slightly quicker. Either way that fight was long as hell.

I think with the new and improved Ring you can basically Alterna most of the opponents, the spoilered one include, it's just a matter of high enough Magic stat and although it's still a percentage chance, it's not so low as Death was.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Scorps posted:

Did they patch or change the ring somehow? Like I said I hit that game really hard right after it came out, blew through the whole thing and most post game stuff and then never played it again. I was done when they were only just announcing a major patch was to come. I know they added a bunch of QoL stuff and changed Chapter 13 so maybe I should revisit it, is only the Gladio DLC out so far? Maybe I'll wait until they all are released and do a NG+ so I can see how they changed 13. I think they raised the level cap even too right, it was 99 when I was playing isn't it like 120 now?

The Ring is now very powerful and not longer just a piece of poo poo - all of the abilities had been substantially buffed to the point that Alterna is actually a magical nuke instead of Chapter 13 Goblin killer, Holy is stronger, especially if you time the dodges, and Death is quicker/more MP efficient.

Now it's truly worthy of being worn by a King

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

bloodychill posted:

DS2 on PC had the 60 frames bug, that was some funny poo poo.

Don't you mean a feature punishing you for swinging your weapon with abandon :v: Those were the days, when fans defended the bug with such vigour

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Noted 2000 and onwards invention, the anime

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Is there anything special about the Definitive Edition of MGS V? I'm looking at the EU sale and already have Ground Zeroes, so I don't care about that addition, and although the difference in prices isn't much I can't seem much enticing in the add-ons listed to justify it. Am I correct in thinking that it's just Phantom Pain+Ground Zeroes and the DLC? If so, how's the DLC?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I thought there was some mention of the DLC in the game's description, if there's none, than that's for the better, I don't really care about the multiplayer. Basic version it is for me, thanks!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've played Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 and 2 and Bloodborne and I liked DS 2 best, but still I didn't like any of those games enough to finish a playthrough. I understand the appeal and they're certainly popular, but I never have them "click"or anything that people describe here - I didn't feel like playing further regardless of how many times I died to a Boss or even a normal enemy, and I don't feel any worse for that.

What I'm trying to say is - one isn't a worse person by a virtue of not enjoying or finishing those games and you don't have to justify either of those opinions, and certainly not play those games in order to "get it". I do get it, I just don't care for them:)

Edit: and also few care that I don't care, but it's the Internet and I'd already paid for posting privileges, so why not make my inane opinion known

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 19, 2017

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Can't wait to see what subtleties and nuances of American culture and politics France's Ubisoft will bring to the table.

This game is being made by many people of various ethnic and cultural backgrounds

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Luthor's dad was abusive and he's furious that Superman, supposedly a paragon of goodness, didn't rescue him from that. So he hatches an elaborate plan to prove that Superman isn't really all that, or that Superman simply didn't care for helping him and maybe even approved of the his father's behaviour, probably as to not feel like he was simply unlucky not to receive help, as there is only so much Superman can do.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Szurumbur posted:

Luthor's dad was abusive and he's furious that Superman, supposedly a paragon of goodness, didn't rescue him from that. So he hatches an elaborate plan to prove that Superman isn't really all that, or that Superman simply didn't care for helping him and maybe even approved of the his father's behaviour, probably as to not feel like he was simply unlucky not to receive help, as there is only so much Superman can do.

Oh, and I like NiOH's gameplay more than I like Bloodborne's or Dark or Demon's Souls, the stances alone and the Ki Pulse make for a tremendous difference in gameplay.

And that was supposed to be an edit, oh well.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 26, 2017

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I've bought FF XIV since it was on a sale and I liked the free trial. Well, since I had the audacity to set up a S-E account ages ago it won't let me start the game without activating it, and the stupid security question is keeping me from playing the game :argh: I tried setting up another one, I did, but it seems I'm stuck with one I can't use - does anyone know any recourse for that? As it stands, my only way out is trying for a refund, for what's it worth.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Morby posted:

You probably just need to call Squenix Customer Support

Turns out I'd written down the old password, so now I just have to wait a million years for the game to update.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I could just look, but I figure someone had to deal with the same problem - I might buying a PSPro, due to the Boost Mode and larger HDD, and the possibility of getting a better TV in the future. But I'd like to know if there's a way of deactivating the PS4 from the system itself, as I'll most likely sell it - I'd wager it's in the same menu that the activation option is in, but who knows.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Also regarding the PS4 Pro - is the Boost mode generally a function one should have enabled at all times, or mostly on a discretionary basis? I think I heard that the Pro-patched games disable it on their own, but some games aren't really enchanced by it?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Ularg posted:

Wouldn't that be basically ReCore?

Yeah.

But good :twisted:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
How is the ship variety and the general flying around in Elite? The last game of its kind I played was Rebel Galaxy, and that too (looking at the price) was a smaller team effort, and that one didn't have much of variety, although the few ships it had were interesting in design and sometimes not even straight upgrades.

I expect some grinding, since it's a "work your way up from zero to hero" game, but how much of a splash can you make in the gameworld? Can you become famous in a sense that people will recognize you, or is the "fame" mostly you being able to undertake harder jobs for more credits so that you can buy more stuff?

Also, are there any hidden secret ships or at least ship that you have to obtain by doing a particular quest and/or befriending some nation? And can you have multiple ships, and if not, how does the game handle changing ships - do you re-buy them or exchange them?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I guess at least we've moved on from 'it's not anime' to 'it doesn't take itself seriously so it's fine'.

A game better took me seriously if it wants me to spend almost a hundred hours playing it, though.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 18, 2017

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
How big of a ship can you pilot in Elite: Dangerous, and can you get your own fleet? I think I'd like that game, but I love the progression from a small fighter a big dreadnought in any games I can use ships/spaceships.

Also, does the Commander Pack change the game significantly? The full version isn't all that more expensive...

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I haven't played in quite a while, but I believe the Orca is the largest playable ship. Not really great for combat against other players if I recall. Frontier has capital ships on the roadmap with crew support. Fleets I don't believe are a thing. The Commander Pack is just colors for your ships. if you're talking about the Commander Deluxe Edition, it adds the Horizons expansion which adds planetary landings which let you roll in a space buggy and shoot poo poo or mine on planets plus new mission and job stuff to do in game.

Edit: Nope, it was the Cutter, my mistake.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Ships

Hmm, is multiplayer mandatory? I see it's online on the shop, and some video I watched detailed a bit of a player interaction, but it seems like a permanent invasion mode from Dark Souls and I don't think I like that.

And yeah, I meant whatever makes up the Complete/Deluxe versions, if I do get the game I might as well get the full package.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Totally optional. You can play with open multiplayer, friends only or solo. In solo play, market prices and story events are still affected by other players however and you do need to be online technically.

That's fine then. Thanks for your answers!

I do wish they'd remaster Infinite Space, though, I think that game had some excellent ideas about fleet building, and the story was great, too.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I really liked Oxenfree, until I wanted to quit, and then... ,,The savefile is corrupt, delete and start New Game?" Try Again with no success. What a wonderful system one autosave without manual saves is

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

Wondered if anyone can help with this:

My PS4 constantly has DNS issues, for example streaming is impossible as it drops connection every 10 mins or so, sometimes more. This appears to be the only device in the house that does it (e.g the Wii U, laptops and phones that are all in the same room never have the issue). Its on WiFi
I have tried changing the DNS to my routers advised ones, tried using google's DNS too but still cannot for the life of me nail this down. I might try assigning a static IP to see if that resolves it but figured id try here.

I've had a similar issue with a work computer - the solution was to uninstall Avast antivirus.

You might want to change the DNS/IP setting to Google's (8.8.8.8. or something), I hear that might help in some cases, though I don't know if it'd help in this situation.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Arthouse or not, I stopped playing The Line after the WP Scene. I don't care that it's forced, so is a lot of gameplay in any given game, and I found the scene impactul nonetheless. It's also why I stopped playing SotC after my first Collossus - I understand what's at stake here, but I just couldn't continue, not at that price.

Maybe I'm just a wimp, and it obviously helped that The Line was a PS+ game, so cost was no issue.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

It's hacky and stupid because the ending is predicated on a moral framework that is never offered as an option to the player, yet presupposes their own agency in making that choice. If that account of SpecOps first offering the player the option to abandon the mission is true then it's even worse because many people, even most would have rightfully chosen to leave, but then that probably wouldn't have created the ultra-cool "you were the real monster all along, mannnn" effect its developers intended, so it was later removed.

I don't think "just turn the game off" is a good solution in the case of SpecOps. Like I could print a book where half the pages are blank and I berated the reader by saying how dumb they were to keep reading, they could just put it down whenever they wanted but it wouldn't be a very effective piece of literature.

I never thought the game aimed the moral posturing at the player, but rather at Walker himself. The player is along for the ride, but it's Walker making the decisions and actually carrying out the deed, as it were.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

What the gently caress.

It's weird, I play a lot of games where violence is the only option, but killing the innocent, plodding Colossi just didn't feel right. Oh well, I still saved Trico.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The camera focuses on whatever enemy you want, or is freely controlled and zoomed in any way you want.

Of course, the camera - even in the open areas - has no sense of context, so it may very well show you some equisite foliage obscuring your characters; it's a common problem, but then you can just warp out/in, so thankfully it's easily remedied. Inconvenient, though.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
A few questions about Persona 5, since the main thread is a thousand pages long and it's been brought up regardless:
1) Is there an actual reason to negotiate with demons after you've already fused/acquired one once? They still give their masks regardless?
2) I've downloaded a bunch of free DLc from the store, it's been recognized by the game and the console says it's installed, but I don't seem to have the items nor costumes - how do I actually get them?
3) Are there many moments where my crew don't grasp an obvious truth, like with the (fourth target spoiler) who Alibaba is?? I thought they were supposed to be smarter than that.
4) Are there any hidden books/games, like in P4, or do I just scour the shops periodically and borrow books from the library?

Thanks in advance!

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

HGH posted:

That reminds me, the American Konami branch edited Kaz off the US game cover because "no one played Peace Walker, they wouldn't know who he is". Strikes as me weird considering Miller is kind of a big deal in MGS1.

Well, we wasn't actually in that one, though:v:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Doesn't jump in MGR have some i-frames, like in DMC?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Telltale games never run particularly well, and since they don't seem to change engine since the ps3 times it'll probably not change. PS4Pro's being a little more powerful probably helps with that, but whoever plays their games probably knows what they're getting - it's not an unknown brand.

That being said, I'm glad for another VN on PS+, and Psychopass is an interesting anime.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

kater posted:

Are Flower or Flow worth playing? They got added to the sale and I haven't played either. Bought Journey last week and it was amazing but I don't think either is that comparable it seems.

I've never finished Flower, but the part I'd played (some three-four hours in) is just a very relaxing and pretty looking petals flying through a field, and blossoming flowers in a dusty apartment. There's some colecctible elements, so it might be a bit frustrating if you simply must collect all of the hidden ones (and the controls are a bit floaty, since you essentially control some light items flying through the air) and there are some logic "puzzle", like "blossom (touch) all of the flowers to progress", but it's mostly just "look at the pretty flowers and soak up the atmosphere". I understand it grows a bit darker later on, but you can just replay the lighter levels anyway.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The fact they eventually made Horizon is CRAZY to me. The KZ games are like the most generic shooters ever made.
It'd be like if the Flappy Bird guy made Half-Life

They (Guerilla Games) also made Battle Engine Aquila, which was one of my favourite PS2 demos, jumping around in a giant spider and shooting giant guns was really fun. I don't know how the full game turned ouy, though.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I decided to stop pretending and just delete Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne off my PS4 - but for DS3 I've played all of them and don't actually like playing any single one, but tried to.

That's my story, thanks for listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Does anyone know if the save file from the demo would carry over to the full disc version? I think previous Yakuza games had different ID for disc and digital, so I'd assume this one would too - I don't want to go through tutorials only to have an inactive save file.

Also, 6 is the one with VF 5 in it, right? I'd buy it for that alone.