Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

PantsBandit posted:

Think I have a pinched nerve in my arm. Now I'm not saying it's due to playing through Dark Souls in just over a week, but it sure didn't help. Be sure and take care of yourselves gamers.
If it doesn't go away, I would suggest visiting a neurologist about this. Certain types of pinched nerve are degenerative if not fixed, i.e. it will only get worse. Personal experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You should be reasonably capable of handling it around the time you deal with Rom. It's somewhat subjective though - not all areas are equally difficult and the bosses are simply a bitch and a half no matter when you try to fight them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Which is, incidentally, about the level range you should be at by the time you fight Rom.

Higher level/going there later will make it easier, of course, but that's what I'd call the earliest point by which it starts becoming survivable.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I am also wondering this. I love Greek mythology
If you want the kind of gameplay you are used to from Asscreed games, then Odyssey is a bad choice. If you don't enjoy game worlds that are pretty much big for the sake of it but also kind of the same everywhere, then it's probably also not a good idea. If you like the idea of playing a game that is basically Xena: Warrior Princess: The Game, up to and including a sense of being very episodic rather than a single contiguous game and/or story experience, then Odyssey is perfect for you and I can very much recommend it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don’t like the gameplay of AssCreed at all tbh 😅
Well, it might work a lot better for you, then. It's (as mentioned) overall very reminiscent of Witcher 3 - you have a ton of randomized equipment, agile and dodge-based melee combat, and a bunch of special totally-not-magic assassin powers to mix it up a little, all running on top of a foundation of the free-form parkour movement that the AC series was built around.

Downsides include aggressive level scaling and very bullet-spongey enemies, but if you don't mind that, it's not a bad game. Not a game I personally liked a lot, but a good one nonetheless. There's just way too much of it, is the only real problem. The game is about three times the size and length that it should've been. Also, the DLC is nothing to write home about and I'd personally avoid it, but that's just my own opinion.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, for all intents and purposes, everything from Origins onwards is pretty much an entirely new series of games that just coincidentally shares a name and a few setting elements with the old AC games. If the old ones don't appeal to you, the new ones certainly still might. They barely even have anything in common anymore.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Valhalla more so than Odyssey. Odyssey ran smoothly on my (currently) pretty outdated PC - I've got a motherboard and CPU so old, they don't even sell them anymore. Valhalla is just overall buggy and badly optimized. It's one of the worst Ubisoft games in recent memory in that regard.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

My own tolerance tends to peter out in direct proportion to how many new interesting abilities and game mechanics the game keeps giving me. I don't mind having a big world to gently caress around in, so long as it keeps giving me new cool things to do (and to do to the world). Odyssey is a bit... mediocre in that regard. There isn't anything that is quite as fun as releasing a biological weapon in the streets of Alexandria and watching people keel over by the literal truckload.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Same, although I think I didn't even make it an hour before deleting it and never looking back.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I'm currently playing Siralim 3, which I got for PC during the recent sale. It's a series of games that is basically ultra-complex roguelike Pokemon on crack, with more of just everything - RPG mechanics, light base building, random dungeons, crossbreeding, item crafting, equippable spells for your monsters, monster traits that synergize across your entire team... you name it, it has it. It's available for the PS4 as well and I thoroughly recommend it if you enjoy that style of game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, it's bad if you were looking to complete his (or her) questline, but otherwise, it won't make a difference.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

gey muckle mowser posted:

Thanks. I'm not real concerned with finishing any particular questlines, Anri just seemed like an important character. If I play through again I'll be more careful.
No problem. Don't worry, there's nobody you can run into out there in the world who would break the game if they died on you. The quests in DS3 (as in all Dark Souls games) are easily derailed and often finicky, so it's completely normal to fail them somewhere in the middle your first time around.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

At this point I’m still watching them to see how hard they spitroast the game. I’ve never seen a AAA game so universally reviled and dunked on before. I feel like everyone sort of hates this game.
Hardly, but I guess you're only seeing a fairly one-sided representation of it so far. A lot of people are somewhat disappointed with it, because it's very different from Odyssey in a way that a lot of people don't quite feel are an improvement. The bugs, of course, are a legitimate criticism and deserve the scorn they get, but to say that everyone who played it hates it would be an overstatement. It just isn't quite living up to the vastly excessive expectations many people had.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gort posted:

"A good game to quit halfway through" kinda sounds like a game not worth playing
I quit most games halfway through, so as far a I'm concerned that would just make it average... but on the other hand, I have absolutely no interest in buying or playing Valhalla at any point, because it looks exactly the same as the two games before it but more boring, so I can't disagree with the overall sentiment of "spend the money on something better" either.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's great, yeah. That is one of the biggest "oh gently caress, poo poo is getting real" moments in the entire game.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Don't worry, pizza overdose isn't lethal. I would try not aspirating your own vomit, though. That is.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Handsome Wife posted:

The word "oval office" isn't considered offensive in the US because it's "gross", it's because historically the way the word has been used in the US has been deeply misogynistic. When an American uses the word it has an extremely different connotation culturally, e.g. you wouldn't hear an American call a man a "oval office", it would sound weird because it's an extremely gendered insult here.
Well, that explains a lot. I've always wondered why that word makes Americans so upset when calling a man a pussy is fine (well, for a certain definition of "fine," you know what I mean)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Several Goblins posted:

Oh, you absolutely nailed it. I've had trouble putting an exact word on how it felt, but completely soulless is spot on. Possibly more empty and soulless than any game I've ever played, or at least high up there on the shovelware scale.
I always felt that the Watchdogs series had something soulless and generic about it even at its most playable, and Watchdogs Legion definitely dials that feeling up to 11. It is everything that was bad about the previous games, but more so.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

acksplode posted:

What the hell is this poo poo. It's the version of the game printed on the discs people are buying with their money, sounds like a commercial release to me. If CDPR didn't want people to encounter this version of the game and be judged by it then they shouldn't have loving printed it onto a bazillion discs and sold them
No kidding. How are we supposed to even take that seriously? "Oh no, this is totally not the finished version of the game, that's why we pressed a ton of copies and shipped it off to the stores, because it's not the finished game," that's just not the kind of thing that accidentally happens. I really don't know what to make of this. Is it even possible for a company to genuinely gently caress up that badly?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bugsnax is a great game and I unironically love it. The voice acting is absolutely ace, some of the best I've heard all year and definitely the best I've heard in this release period. Both the NPCs and the titular bugsnax just ooze personality. There aren't many things that make me wince and go "oh god, not this guy again" in a game as the mighty cry of COB...HOPPEEEEEER as an animated cob of corn yeets itself through the air above my head.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

haveblue posted:

There were also a couple of free captures I got through two snax serendipitously interacting with each other without me doing anything, a credit to the mechanics
That has happened to me amusingly often so far. Aggressive snax aren't just aggressive against you, they'll go after anything in their territory and you can absolutely exploit that for your own benefit.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

VideoGames posted:

BYOB gave it to me because of the party they are throwing for my upcoming marriage to Lady VG :)
Well, congrats to that, man. I wish you two many happy years.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

acksplode posted:

This semantic debate over what is a release version is dumb and beside the point. The point is that if you can purchase a copy of a game in a store for money and then play it, you should be able to expect that it is of release quality.
It really boils down to that. When someone sells you a product, its not asking too much that it be in a fully usable state out of the literal or metaphorical box. People who play video games have become far too accustomed to accepting a half-functional mess as the base state in which any new game is released.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

In all fairness, reviewers review prerelease versions all the time so that they can get their reviews done before street release day, so that's not necessarily an argument. It is a bit of a problem if the buggy pre-release review version is also the one that's lying on the shelves in stores, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ghost of Tsushima is one of the best-looking games of the generation, so that's a bit of a high bar to measure up to by any definition. FF7R is not an ugly game, even if it isn't quite up to that standard.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think the stances somewhat mechanically contradict the idea that any solution is equally viable. There's a correct way to handle any given enemy in straight combat, as far as the game is concerned, and that's by switching to the stance that neutralizes their special gimmick.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hopper posted:

Does that make sense? I played on hard and for me it definitely felt that way.
I hadn't thought about it like that before, but it does have an entertaining tendency to work out that way. Kudos to the developers if that was intentional.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

GoT multiplayer costs extra? I never do multiplayer, so I thought it was just a tacked-on thing like RDR2 online.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

FF7R is definitely a complete game in terms of content and mechanics, considering how long it is. It's not exactly unfair to say that it's basically designed to be released episodically either, though, so the strength of the whole thing will only really be possible to judge by the time they're completely done with it. FF7 is a single experience, and even if they made a good effort to portion it up so that no individual episode of the remake leaves you hanging, it's still not quite the whole thing.

Bust Rodd posted:

No the update is free he’s just talking about PlayStation + fees
Ah, alright, thanks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think the big legit concern is that while genitals are swappable or removable on any body model, gender pronouns are locked to your voice choice, which from the trans folx reaction seems to be a huge misstep

Like the complete fixation on genital stuff, especially in marketing and with dildos scattered around the world like cheese wheels in Skyrim, definitely makes it seem more like a fetishization thing
Well, that's discouraging to hear and seem to confirm more than it disproves my standing concern that the whole thing might be more of a puerile "lol, dicks" thing than something that has any real point to it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Japanese, I guess. It isn't technically gendered like that, but there are a lot of context-sensitive ways to say "I" that apply only to certain genders and/or social stations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Hopper posted:

The GF says in Spanish this applies not to the verb it's actually certain adjectives. With some the ending depends on your gender, like when describing a state you are in, for example "I am tired" or "I am drunk".

Maybe they mean this?
Yeah, that would be correct. "Soy rubio/Soy rubia" are the masculine and feminine ways to state that you are blonde, respectively. I suppose that could be a limiting factor, but I don't know anything about the expenses involved in voice acting.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Lucas Archer posted:

Still can't find the mapmaker in the royal waterway, and I've barely explored the edge of the kingdom area. One other question - are there stag stations in every map area, or just some of them? I've found over half (including the hidden station), but still am lacking one for the Royal Waterway, Deepnest, Cliff's Edge (if that's the name, the place east of Dirtmouth, up the elevator). And I haven't even unlocked the map for the two other Mask bosses yet.

Deepnest and the Howling Cliff have stag stations, although they're finicky to get to. I don't think the Royal Waterways do, though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

They do reveal some snippets of lore that you might not find elsewhere, as I remember it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

If you're planning to do them at all then that's what I'd recommend, yes. There's no real point in diving into root dungeons unless you're desperate for echoes and whatever special materials can be found there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Some casual googling tells me that there is a surprising amount of debate about breastfeeding while playing video games, but not a lot about breastfeeding in video games, so chances are good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Guillermus posted:

How so? Silent Hill is an IP I'd love to visit someday with a proper port (iirc I only played a bit of the PSP game, yes yes...) and I kinda liked the first film (yes, yes).
Because it's about you being stuck in your apartment and unable to go outside.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I concur that you can criticize badly-designed flashing lights in a video game just fine even without having personally suffered an epileptic seizure from them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Not something i would consider being cis and non epileptic thankfully
About 25% of epileptics experience their first seizure after the age of 25, so this sort of thing is more of a general health risk than you'd expect, even to people who wouldn't have thought it affects them in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Cyberpunk is egregious because it has something that quite clearly induces guaranteed seizures in multiple people and should not have gotten into the game anywhere past an early design phase.
Pretty much, really. Just about every game these days will give you an epilepsy and seizure warning on startup as a matter of course, but the number of games that have been demonstrated to actually induce seizures (and during very specific sequences at that) can be counted on a single hand.