Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I mean overrated by goons. Not saying it is a bad game, but it's definitely not for everyone, or even most people. It should be put in a category of games called "games to play if you hate yourself." A lot of goons hate themselves.

If you like action games then Bloodborne is a must, it's as simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Feenix posted:

Valid crits.

What if I don't ever play local co-op with anyone and don't care so much about the cost...

How's the actual gameplay?

It's very good. It's shooting gallery style gameplay but more dynamic since the things you're shooting at are shooting back so you need to actual avoid attacks. And you have a few defensive options, from just moving out of the way to an action dodge to just shooting the bullets. Stages are varied and all throw new obstacles at you so nothing gets old, although the flipside is that the game is fairly content light. The original SNES version at least can be beaten in around an hour once you get good, although the new version has a few more stages so it's a bit longer, and working your way up to "good" can take a bit. The game controls very well, although it can take some getting used to managing both your character and where their gun is aiming. And each of the four characters plays fairly distinctly (although Clint and Anne play fairly standardly).

If you don't care about the cost I highly recommend picking it up.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Montalvo posted:

Whoever curates the Playstation account on YouTube is a genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vr4El4cmI

Nice to see that MDickie is continuing to develop games.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Shadow225 posted:

Furi - I really wanted to like this game. It's a boss rush game that switches between melee segments and bullet hell esque segments. Each boss has like 6 stages with multiple health bars. You get 3 lives per boss, and each stage of the boss you beat replenishes your current life and another life. The style of the game is really cool, minus the dude with rabbit head. I'm not sure why that edge lord existed. I beat the first boss, which took like 20-30 minutes. I gave up on the second boss. I'm sure I could have beaten it if I tried more, but I was frustrated with the way that lives work in the game. If your health bar is depleted, you restart the stage you are on. That's better than restarting the entire boss, but it is still annoying to restart such a long segment. If you lose all of your lives, you have to restart the entire boss. You can't save mid boss, so it's all or nothing. If you're going to have a life system, at least do me the favor of not refilling the boss's health. The life system seems arbitrary. We haven't been in the 8/16 bit days in 20 years; there is no need to erase progress like that. I would like to say I could return to this, but I have a pretty large backlog.

I can understand not having the patience to continue on, but imo the way it works is crucial for the kind of game it is. It's a game that very much expects you to master each boss in order to complete it which is why it doesn't give you freebies like that. I recommend watching an LP of it (there was a good subtitled one done here) if you don't plan on going back to it, boss designs/fights/the cutscene stuff is all incredibly cool.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

Apologies if this has already been covered, but how the gently caress is Ark, currently an early access game on steam, currently selling for $55 on PS4?

Not only that, there's loving DLC? How in the gently caress is there DLC on an unfinished game?

What the poo poo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vr4El4cmI

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

in nioh, developer placed revenants are alive and being murdered by enemies your first time through the level

a dude barely halfway into the gmae is at level 100 and killing yokai in like 2 hits so now i feel like a dumbass chipping away at beta monsters at level like 15 or whatever

Are there leaked copies being streamed or something?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The Pirate Captain posted:

Mario 64 was impressive for its time, because it was the first truly 3D world many people experienced. The gameplay though was outshined by plenty of PS1 games, and by today's standards M64 is hot garbage. All the 2D Marios before it still hold up though, except for the original Mario Bros, and Mario World is probably the best Mario

I strongly disagree. SM64 has aged a bit, but I think it's aged quite well. It controls very nicely and though the camera could stand to be better it's not complete garbage which isn't something guaranteed even today.

I do agree that SMW is the best Mario, though.

Real hurthling! posted:

the video posted today itt

Oh I somehow missed that one.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kirios posted:

Here's another hot take for you gents, other than Mario 64 being the best.

Super Mario Bros. 3 is better than World.

SMB3 and SMW are both good and are my friends.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

mario is my favorite psp game

same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffshDkF7A_E&t=382s

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Can someone try and sell me on Darkest Dungeon? I was hotly anticipating it and bought it for like $25 the day it came out. Played it for like 2 hours and thought it was the most boring thing ever and can never bring myself to boot it back up, but I feel like I must have missed something because people seem to like it so much and I feel like I flushed that money down the toilet.

I like it for two main reasons. One is that the combat system is simple enough to understand without much difficulty, but complex enough to allow for a lot of variety, since you can build your characters in different ways, have them gain different positive and negative traits that color them, and build all sorts of parties with them, to varying degrees of effectiveness.

The other is the general aesthetic and tone the game goes for. It manages to nail "Lovecraft in video game form" better than any other game I've seen aside from Bloodborne, and in some ways better thanks to Wayne June's ridiculously good narration. That also ties into how, no matter how well you play, something will inevitable end up out of your control. For example, one of your guys becoming stressed out enough that they go mad and refuse your orders and end up being more of a nuisance than a benefit. I've not played Xcom but I know a lot of people like DD to that in that there's a lot of opportunities for your guys to "tell stories" in that regard, like your entire party save one being massacred by the remaining one going virtuous (a rare but positive event that occurs when they become too stressed) and wrecking havoc on the remaining enemies.

I dunno if you're the kind of person that enjoys watching LPs, but if so I'd suggest perhaps checking out the first few episodes of Highwang's LP of the game. He does a good job of showing off the game, enough that quite a few goons have purchased the game as a result. That might help the game click for you.

If you do decide to try and get back into the game, I'd also recommend maybe waiting for a month or two. There's a content patch coming in February that is planned to add a "Radiant mode" to the game, which seeks to make the gameplay a bit less tedious, as the base gameplay is fairly grindy.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LibbyM posted:

This is a playstation 3 game so maybe not the most on topic but, how was drakengard 3 relative to the other games? Gameplay improvements are nice of course but mainly I'm wondering if the story matches the beautiful insanity of the first drakengard game, or was it kind of bland like the second game?

It's not as outright insane as the first game, nor as sad and melancholic as Nier, but it definitely matches up to those games in its own way. A lot of people like to describe it as "edgy" which I don't really agree with. If I had to label it I'd call it unrepentantly crass. Everyone's a petty rear end in a top hat and is not afraid to show it. Except for Mikhail, who is the bestest character.

I'd say it's definitely worth picking up, although it performs like crap, and not even a consistent crap. Some people get super bad frame drops during some parts, other people don't, it seems to depend on the individual PS3. Also you need to shell out another :20bux: for the DLC which you definitely do want to do because it's some of the best content in the game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LibbyM posted:

Thanks for the words on Drakengard 3. Does it have multiple endings that can be accessed without playing through the entire game again, like how the first game did it?

Yes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Renoistic posted:

Yeah the duel seemed impossible to me at level 11. I didn't get a good look - is there a parry/reposte ability?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TKUyWLRQn4&t=175s

More seriously, most (all?) of the weapons have a parry ability you can get, usually with some followup attacks you can also do.

Muneshige is perfectly doable right after beating the first stage, and honestly grinding is unlikely to help you as he will do stupid amounts of damage regardless of how high leveled you are. Leveling also won't increase your damage output much since the main reason you'd lack for damage versus him is him blocking or dodging which completely negates damage. Muneshige plays near perfectly and it's pretty much just a matter of learning when you can push him and create windows for you to deal damage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Also half the time he is somehow still blocking with zero stamina?!

I'm pretty sure he doesn't actually. His ki regenerates quickly enough that he'll regain enough to block if you wait more than half a second between reducing his ki to zero and hitting him again to actually make him exhausted.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

SettingSun posted:

The relation between Souls and Bloodborne is about the same as was relation between Resident Evil 2 and the original Dino Crisis. I wouldn't call Dino Crisis a Resident Evil game but it would be foolish to ignore the fact that one was built off the other and share mechanics.

This is a good way of putting it. I think it comes down to that the type of game that Dark Souls and Bloodborne are is becoming its own genre, but a lot of people have yet to think of it like that so you see a lot of "oh that's like Dark Souls, clearly it's the same thing/a copycat."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

So, does Resi 7 have much in the way of replayability? I'm trying to toss up whether my Feburary game is going to be that or Nioh. I think I'm burned out on Souls-esque games, but Nioh still appeals. Resi 7 is trying to lure me in but I don't want to pay £50 for something that'll be done and over in seven hours.

People have already responded with regards to RE7, but with Nioh - my impressions coming from playing the alpha, beta, and most recent demo - I would argue it feels different enough from Dark Souls to keep you from burning out, while still remaining in the same genre. It's way more combat focused with there being a lot of mechanics to play around with, kind of like a character action game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

If you figure it out post it. I'm not gonna struggle to figure it out. But I will give out codes if somebody does.

I'll gladly take a code if someone does and then you do. Really want to try this out to see if it's worth plunking down :60bux: on so close to the release of Nioh, which I know is worth my time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It would be neat if it had an actual proper story campaign that set you up against increasingly difficult AI in the various game modes to the backdrop of a story. That way it would be its own standalone thing that also introduces you to the game's gameplay in a focused but more organic fashion. I'd be surprised if they bothered to put in that effort though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Adaptabullshit posted:

Sent you a friend invite just now. Starts with J.

You happen to have any other spare invites? :allears:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Renoistic posted:

How are the environments in Cosmic Star Heroine? Are they varied or do they overstay their welcome? And does the game hold up all the way through?

I'm only six hours in but so far environmental variety is pretty solid. There's only been two primary environments so far (a city and a jungle) but the game's good about having a lot of cool and varied set pieces within those environments. E.g. spooky abandoned factory, ascending an apartment to fight a mech piece by piece, underwater laboratory, night club, among others.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So... Cosmic Star Heroine then.

I dunno, maybe I'm an outlier, but this game is the exact sort of thing that I've been hankering for. An early PSX style sprite JRPG with its fair share of goofy callbacks and references without going like ludicrously over the top with them like Guacamelee did.

I've run into a few bugs here and there (Can't use AOEs in the underwater base for some reason, got stuck in a wall once), but man, it's fun and solid enough, and I'm probably willing to forgive a lot purely for being so laser focused to my tastes. Also I just got Clarke and he's great. :allears: I just wish his gimmick didn't rely on me losing my Leader Satchel buff.

I enjoyed it quite a lot myself, so you're not alone. It does the best thing a JRPG can do in that it gives you a good variety of characters with a lot of different ways you can use them thanks to all the abilities you get. So even when the game isn't difficult it's still a lot of fun trying out different character combos and seeing just how high of a damage number you can reach, especially with the game's emphasis on utilizing buffs and debuffs to maximize your damage.

All the aesthetic-related stuff is great and the writing is solid, too, even if it does put its worst foot forward with the opening segment (imo it's the first two-ish hours of the game that have the worst writing and most groan-worthy jokes). The pacing is pretty solid as well, though having finished it I can't help but feel it would have been ideal if there had been another planet to explore. Though given the game's overly extended development time, it's probably for the best that there wasn't.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Policenaut posted:

To be honest I never really cared all that much about the resolution to that game's story. It's not like Shenmue where they strung me along for two long games and I felt so invested, rather I really liked the world that BG&E presented and wanted more of that kind of thing. I like the weird setting and its style and if BG&E2 brings more content like that then I'm totally fine with it being a prequel.

I wonder if they're shying away from doing a sequel right now to avoid the hype from fans. Avoid a DNF scenario where the game can't possibly liver up to the expectations caused by its development hell.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Not PS4-related but this seems to be the best place to ask. I decided to boot up the thing for the first time in a while to play through Demon's Souls again, and I've been having some issues on the technical side, that I think are more about the PS3 itself than the game. Namely framerate drops where there definitely weren't any before, and some really bad audio stuttering issues at times. Is my PS3 finally showing its age, and/or are there any things I could do to potentially alleviate this problem? I imagine cleaning it for dust is one option, but I'm wondering about software stuff like the PS4 build database option.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You're just filled with dumb opinions about games, aren't you?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Nioh is nothing like a Souls game outside of surface level elements, and literally every 2D Castlevania after SotN (except the co-op grindy one and that Lords of Shadow one) was SotN-style with some tweaks. Your opinions are basically the opposite of reality.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I ain't said poo poo, I'm reporting straight reception facts: when U4 came out, people complained about Nadine being an unbeatable boss. Whether or not I or you liked that about her isn't really the topic, so cool your whip man. I am saying that it seems insulting to Nate and also some sort of statement by the story's author about...well, I guess I'd say it's supposed to be some grander statement on white male action heroes in media, being emasculated by a strong black woman who is then made a protagonist in a follow-up game. S'what it seems like, at least.

lmao

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I don't even know what you could possibly find objectionable in that post, but okay.

Sonic games that don't star Sonic have not had the best track records. Neither, really, have Sonic games that have starred Sonic so I guess that balances it out.

*black woman is a lead in a not-quite-sequel to a successful video game franchise*

white* man: GOD I'M BEING SO OPPRESSED CURSE THOSE drat SJWS RUNNING THE VIDEO GAME INDUSTRY

*my apologies for insulting you if this is not the case

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yes yes, you're very progressive and thoughtful, thank you for allowing us to bask in your light.

It is true, I am a master of virtue signaling.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dragon's Dogma is like the best sandwich you'll eat in a while but it's half-eaten and you can see drool lingering from the bite marks.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

JBP posted:

If I have to pick between a heavily reduced, but still real money title, should I get Persona 5, Dragon's Dogma or Shadow of War in the big sale?

Very different games I know. I'm leaning towards P5 but I am concerned all the minutiae might get me down whereas I know Shadow is just going to be Arkham with kills and funny orcs, while DD is a bit of an unknown to me, but it sounds awesome.

Persona 5 is probably the best of the lot. I loving love Dragon's Dogma but it's a very 6/10 sort of game (very good if you love what it does right, average if its many flaws bug you a lot).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So has anyone here played ELEX on a standard PS4? I'm curious how stable the FPS is.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So has anyone here played ELEX on a base PS4 and mind relating how stable the framerate is?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Not PS4 specific, but does anyone hear have an affordable (~$50) headset they could recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

1redflag posted:

Opinions ON Sundered?

All the art is gorgeous, the animation is incredibly fluid, and it has some really nice atmospheric sound design. As a game it's pretty mediocre, though. Combat is pretty samey; even though you get a decent amount of upgrades the combat mostly comes down to spamming your melee moves, for the most part. Also there's like maybe 15 enemy types total in the game, it uses a lot of palette swaps. Also while it's gorgeous it has a huge problem with visibility. Finding where Eshe (your character) is in the middle of an enemy swarm can be like playing Where's Waldo.