Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I feel like even 20 years from now people will still play and be nostalgic for NES/SNES games. Those games were stupid hard and unfun, it's just the only options we had at the time.

The Switch reveal was pretty lol tbh. I know it's a moot point since they have their own market pretty much anyways and it doesn't really impact ps4/xbone sales much

One thing it did prove was the Vita theory was right on the money; The Switch is going to be the new go-to platform for low/mid-range budget JRPG titles (they already announced a Berseria port and a couple other JRPG's).

And I am perfectly okay with this :allears:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morby posted:

I have a WiiU and I have barely played it in months. I am excited for the Switch, but I am already concerned because it seems like there will barely be any titles on it for a while. Mario NYC looks fun, though!

It's typical of any console in its first year, and we have solid release dates on some good games coming in the first three months (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2). Nevermind the fact that the big king-hitter launch title is a colossal open-world game that's going to keep "mainstream" players happy for loving ages and they could've coasted on that alone for a fair while. Most consoles just poo poo the bed for the first six months waiting for studios to get their rushed first round of titles out the door, so Nintendo potentially have a better first-year lineup in place than most.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I said come in! posted:

Well, there's Zelda, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey. Breath of the Wild looks really amazing.

ARMS actually looks decent too, especially with online play. Breath of the Wild is a great launch title to coast on considering its apparent size, nevermind Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in console's first six months and a new goddamn proper 3D Mario game for the first time since the first Super Mario Galaxy as a Holiday release :allears:. That's on top of whatever crops up at e3 this year for the latter-half of 2017, so that's actually a pretty drat solid lineup for a console's first year.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wandle Cax posted:

does it? as far as i know they use sd cards like everyone else.

Nope, Sony used their own proprietary memory sticks for the Vita so they could jack up the price.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My physical copy of REZ Infinite finally arrived! :woop:

I was starting to get worried too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SLOSifl posted:

A prominent female character is a teenage sex drawing

I still hold that Quiet's cell is a fistful of single dollar bills away from being a stripclub, 80's music and all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If any Ausgoons have been waiting for a price drop on World of Final Fantasy, Big W's got it for $40AU.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't play Rise of the Tomb Raider if you're interested in the story, it's dire.

Yakuza 0 in a few days is your best bet.

Still better than the original Tomb Raider's, at least.

Oh hey, we found one of the people on the boat who we know nothing about and are supposed to care for.

:commissar:

Oh hey, we found another one of the people on the boat who we know nothing about and are supposed to care for.

:commissar:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

Eurogamer also stated that the demo version of GR2 was a lot rougher compared to the final product performance-wise, so that's nice.

They also fixed the gravity kick targeting from the demo and first game, it's a lot better about actually tracking your target and landing the blow instead of just missing by a narrow margin. Throwing poo poo is a whole lot more viable too, especially the new Special Attack that lets you charge up a shot and send it ricocheting off multiple Nevi cores (regardless of whether they're all in the one Nevi or scattered among multiple smaller ones).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

drat you, SS, I don't get to play mine for another 34 hours :negative:

It's out in PAL regions too :smuggo:. I can also confirm it is indeed loving gorgeous.

Also the new camera (the take-pictures kind) is a silly and stupid mechanic that is a weird thing to put in Gravity Rush 2. And I love the poo poo out of it :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you ordered the physical copy of REZ Infinite before December 8, check your email. iam8bit sent out a special offer for a free fancier cover insert made from thicker paper stock, that comes with a fancy holographic foil imprint.

If you ordered after December 8, apparently you already get the fancier thicker paper stock cover as part of being in the second print run. I think you can maybe get the holographic foil on its own?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bad Llama posted:

PSVR worth it?

You're best off waiting for e3 to see what's coming for it, nevermind the potential of a Mk.2 headset.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

There won't be a psvr 2 until they can figure out how to make games for the first one.

To be fair, PSVR is for all intents and purposes a new console and stuck with the usual launch year dearth. Nevermind it being VR, which is still a fairly nascent field of game design that studios are only now starting to develop for. The real telling factor will be this year's e3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I meant like full games with varied gameplay that don't make you feel barfy. RE7 looks promising but horror games can't really be system sellers since so many people can't stand them.

Again; this year's e3 will the telling factor. Like most new consoles, all you'll ever likely see is ports of pre-existing titles and rush-jobs the first year or so. It's only now after a good year of people messing with the dev kits and putting some work in (you know, like a regular game production cycle) that we'll actually see anything proper come out.

Also I fully agree horror VR is a very niche thing, motion sickness aside, because OHSHITOHSHITIT'SCOMINGFORMEFUCKFUCKRUN!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

I'd agree with all of that.

IMO it's worth it if you find VR fascinating. If you go in expecting to use it every day it's probably best to wait. Expect all the early adopter woes, but really as far as launches go PSVR was actually solid. The stream of game coming out has been pretty bleak though.

The average person probably should wait till E3 or maybe just put if off for a couple of years.

RE7 in VR really is goddamn amazing though.

If you just want to give VR a spin for the novelty of it and have a Samsung S6 or S7, a GearVR is well worth your time. Just make sure to get the newer Black model if you can (slightly-wider viewing angle, and it doesn't fog up as much when you first put it on).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

I might go out and have a look at the platinum headset after work. If it has approximately the same fit as my old gold headset did but more durable I will be happy with it.

It should do; gold's a very soft and pliable metal compared to platinum :v:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

not having the random stupid thing at the end was a plus imo

they barely even tried with it in 3

Leaving it out was for the best, because the real focus of the story wasn't the adventure this time. It was about family, and choosing what Nate actually values most. I did like that they didn't write Elena as a complete nagging wet blanket when she rocks up on the island to confront Nate, she's just pissed he lied to her rather than the fact he went on an adventure. Especially with it turning out she loves it as much as he does.

edit: The thing you're talking about at the end is a nice way to prove Naughty Dog are serious about putting a cap on Uncharted as-promised, because there they both are years later with a teenage kid.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 20, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I keep wanting to see something cool in Ghost Recon (used to be one of my fav series) but everything looks so derivative. Like I know Ubisoft loves to reuse assets but I can't even see anything that hasn't already been in one of their other games.

Also I think Ubi has made it mandatory to have a small camera drone in every game. Even Steep had one.

Steep has one because taking drones out to shoot extreme sports is one of their common uses :ms:.

Guillermus posted:

How BAD is Killzone Shadowfall? Last one I played was Killzone on the PS2 and was decent for these days but should I just wait until they give it for PSNow or drops to 5$?

loving dumb as poo poo. It's worth a look if you see it for $5, but prepare to have your intelligence insulted by the end.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

The online treasure hunt mode in Gravity Rush 2 really is incredible. One of the implications of how it works is that they made every building and every island distinctive enough from each other that you can locate the treasure. It's my favorite part of the game so far.

So like, in this picture:

The bottom of that island, which is one of about a hundred in this region alone, was unique enough for me to find the treasure just from looking at it.

You're clearly wrong, the best part is taking a silly photo for people to use to find the treasure chest themselves afterwards :colbert:. Also I've only just realized why the styles are called Lunar and Jupiter, respectively; Relative gravity :cripes:.

A bit of free advice for Gravity Rush 2 as well; About halfway through the game when you see the story mission "The Crowd" become available, go clear out your available sidequests first if you plan to do them. You won't be coming back to Jirga Para Lhao for a while once you start it.

veni veni veni posted:

GR2 starts out really rough. I have no doubt I'll enjoy it because I really liked the first one but the first couple of hours are brutally boring. It seems to be picking up though.

The first Chapter's little more than a tutorial, just burn through the story missions until you head off to the big city.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Samurai Sanders posted:

I liked it consistently from the very beginning. I am struggling to think of an open world game I have enjoyed more. I thought the first game was pretty good given its limitations as a Vita launch game port but this one is bonkers.

Some of the sneaking missions can get a bit bullshit with their detection radius and finding the path the developers want you to take, but by-and-large it's a fantastic improvement on a great game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yep it's only for installation and DRM.

The problem with Blu-Ray is the read-rate is relatively atrocious compared to that of DVD's, which is why the PS3 had to install games to its hard drive while the X360 didn't and why the XBone and PS4 both need to as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

I made a Gravity Rush 2 thread, though it looks like Nioh is what everyone's playing this weekend, me included.

You might want to change that OP to note that you actually need to watch the anime shorts to get what the hell's happened at the start of Gravity Rush 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

verbal enema posted:

Nioh is crazy hard for me but I'm liking it more than Bloodborne. I cant get ANYWHERE in Bloodborne. I'm lucky if I can reliably make it to the bridge with the two wolfs.

When you go up the street and through the arch to where the Ogre beating on the door, leave him be and circle round to where the people are partying indoors. Smash the crates to the left of their door and you can jump down. That'll lead you on to a shortcut back to the Lantern (the other side of that locked gate) and actual progression.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Adaptabullshit posted:

It feels a bit faster on the second time

It skips a good stretch of it by having the camera pass over the outside of the train car and rejoining Nate as he's emerging from it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons, Target has Yakuza 0 for the exorbitant price of $59AU.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

Motherfuck, I bought it for $80 at JB. Didn't even bother to check Target because the one in my town sucks rear end and usually just stocks COD and not much else.

Rookie mistake right there. Always check Target and Big W first, because they often undermine JB and EB's release-day prices by a good $10 at least.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yodzilla posted:

I really enjoyed the first Gravity Rush but it's kind of crazy how abruptly it ends.

Gravity Rush 2 answers every question it raises and puts a bow on the story as a whole.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there really that much to say about 1? Girl wakes up with no memories and super powers, has wacky adventures and saves the town from monsters. The game doesn't even make much progress on the memories or super powers mysteries, other than that there is some ancient god civilization because of course there is.

Edit: maybe there's more but I forgot because I'm not THAT into the intricacies of super powered girls fight monsters and save the city stories.

You've forgotten the weirder poo poo in the story outside the monsters, and that poo poo does come up again in Gravity Rush 2 with an expectation that you've already played the first game. You need to play Gravity Rush first.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Attitude Indicator posted:

There's something very strange about people reading up on video game stories.

Just play GR2 if you want to play it. I didn't play GR1 and GR2 is fine. Everything you need to know is told to you in the first 10 minutes. "I came from somewhere else. I had gravity powers. Me and my friends were in a big battle and then got separated. I ended up here, in the sequel."

If you haven't finished it yet, you are very wrong.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renoistic posted:

I Platinum'ed Gravity Rush on Vita a year ago, bought the Remaster and still had fun with it. It's a simple but good game with nice story and dialogue. I just love that you spend the first fifteen minutes of the game getting a place to live and then collecting furniture and a bed. It's like Kiki's Delivery Service with monster blobs.

In Gravity Rush 2 you can customize the decorations in Kat's house. It affects nothing gameplay-wise, but damned if I can't decide whether Dusty should have a straw bed or a fancy proper cat bed to sleep in :allears:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Do they disable your abilities in those?

Nope, and the trailing missions are loving easy because of your powers. Go stand up a wall and you cant be seen at all - your targets dont look up.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just got to Altissia in FFXV and damned if that city isn't gorgeous :stwoon:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Feenix posted:

Man, I do not loving understand For Honor.

I get that I'm supposed to block where the indicator says. Ok, no problem. So I do that a bit and then a viking does his throw move where he runs me back on his shoulder and throws me on the ground and then it's game over. I just don't understand. Either they don't explain poo poo on how to play, or their game is just a "pick the one beast character, hope for best..."

It's frustrating because at it's core this could be something good. Instead it just makes me mad to have some fuckstick beat up on me helplessly.

Bad Parenting posted:

There's a HOW TO PLAY option on the main menu, where it has tutorials that teach you stuff like how to counter throws. It also has a bunch of videos explaining each class.

It also sounds like the same timing issues on counters and blocks that it's had since the beta builds they were showing at conventions months ago. Nevermind that the game's supposedly going to be loving P2P instead of dedicated servers. Nobody is going to have a good time with that recipe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Canadian posted:

What timing issues on counters and blocks? I started playing the beta yesterday and a lot of the complaints I am reading are from people being lazy refusing to learn how this game works and then complaining that xyz is broken/busted because they can't win. Game is pretty dope but seemingly few people wanna do anything other than mash.

The beta build I played was heinously broken, and this was a public demo at a big convention. Trying to parry or block exactly the way the game taught you in a training session would find you whiffing the parry or the block just plain not connecting so you ate sword/axe every time. Nevermind the Samurai's long reach just cleaving the gently caress out of everyone regardless. Requiring precise timing in goddamn Peer-to-peer multiplayer is a recipe for a bad time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Evil Canadian posted:

Well maybe that is an issue with that demo then as I have not experienced anything like that in this current build. I mostly do duels and p2p multiplayer is exactly what I want for that, pointless to do a 1v1 going through a server. I have done enough 4v4 modes that I don't mind p2p at all, I am not botching my timing on anything, I am not missing a block that I would have gotten otherwise. Its all perfectly fine.

The only way Peer-to-Peer multiplayer can be good is if you can be absolutely certain every player is on a fibre connection. Maybe. Anything else is a crapshoot of broadband across long distance, over ancient copper wire never designed for it, that racks up the milliseconds in reprocessing and travel time between all involved.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They don't care. Titanfall 2 is the better game but it's borderline dead on PC and sparsely populated on console. It actually lacks new maps and premium dlc content like pretty titan skins or voices.

I've had evenings in Germany/EU with 800 players in Titanfall 2

And every game mode except attrition are dead even on ps4. Cause nobody plays them because nobody queues for it.

Meanwhile BF1 has 40k players on peak times.

PC Titanfall 2 wasn't helped any by being stuck on the wretched turd that is Origin either.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

I'm hoping it's some kind of goof or something because they brought in the lead writer behind Fallout: NV to do this game, and if that's the best he could come up with then..yeesh.

Just because they're there doesn't mean they got to do as they pleased. They might be stuck working under a fistful of memos from the producers and the Director while eyeing that bottle of whiskey in the bottom drawer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Half the problem is the atrocious voice acting, the other is the stilted body and facial animation using zero motion capture. You can tell the head and mouth movements are done by some intern in a basement clicking and dragging body parts with a mouth cursor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't this the engine that Death Stranding will be using?

Then again, if you look at the research and effort that got put into every graphical/mechanical element of MGSV, I am sure that KojiPro would work wonders no matter what the software

The engine is fine, the clear lack of effort in how they used it is where the developers are failing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jimbot posted:

Nah, that 3 minutes of what's probably a 20+ hour game is representative of it all. It's gonna be garbage crap from a garbage crap developer. I don't know where you are from but we're capable of extrapolating all that information from the slightest details.

General facial and body movements done by manually dragging object instead of mocap is not a good sign in the slightest for a big-budget game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

They're doing a Guardians of the Galaxy game and helping with Tomb Raider. Deus Ex didn't sell well enough.

Someone should've really told them you need to sell a complete story per entry in a trilogy, not sell one story by Act.