Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
AMD is the real winner of this generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I think my Alienware is going to be super outdated come Christmas.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Zeta Acosta posted:

The ssd is smaller than the xbox one and i dont care about the tempest engine.

Isn't it twice as fast?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
So my GTX 1080 is obsolete come Christmas?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I'm surprised we haven't gotten any demo walkthroughs where they show stuff that the last-gen just couldn't do. Makes me think that launch games aren't going to be that different from what we already have.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
599 US Dollars.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Here I am in Virginia with 15mb down for $90/month. The 50mb down option is $160/month.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Not that surprising with how Microsoft lost the last gen - people have their digital game library on the Playstation ecosystem now and would lose it all (plus not get the free upgraded versions) if they switched to Xbox.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I think the Series S is going to have problems within a year or two - if you look at the performance of games like Jedi Fallen Order on the One S you see some insane hangs when it has to pause for a few seconds to load the next area which you don't see on any other platform. But I don't think that's going to compromise games in general, you're just going to have a worse experience on the S.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

It's puzzling to me who or what the series S is for, since the selling point of 1440p/120hz gaming does not really jive with the specs whatsoever. You'll be lucky to hit 30fps on that machine, with current-gen games.

It's to get as many people onto the Xbox ecosystem as possible who feel that dropping >$400 on a console is too much. It'll appeal to students, parents with young kids, people that want to play on both Playstation and Xbox, etc. I don't think it's a bad plan business-wise for Microsoft but for devs that want to push the cutting edge of performance it kind of sucks.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

What would I be looking for in a television to be able to display 120fps?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-49-class-nanocell-85-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-webos-tv/6401880.p?skuId=6401880

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Housh posted:

Teraflops.

120 to be precise

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Wait is that the same webOS as the Palm Hail Mary?

It started on the HP TouchPad a decade ago yeah but LG bought it after that and use it for their smart TVs. I much prefer just using a TCL with roku built in.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Rad Valtar posted:

This doesn’t have to do with 120 FPS but I am in love with my TCL 55 inch 6 series QLED that I just bought a few months ago.

TCL really blow everyone else out of the park when it comes to quality and affordability. Thanks President Xi.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Is Knack 3 confirmed yet?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
How bad does input lag need to be for you to start noticing? 30ms?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I'm going to hold off getting a TV for a few years, if I wait 3 years HDMI 2.1 stuff will be standard on all the $300-600 models.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
HBomberguy subjected himself to multiple playthroughs of Pathologic - he needs help.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

bobjr posted:

Mass Effect: Andromeda was worth the 5 dollars I payed for it

I got it for $2 and it was fine.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

I bought Andromeda at launch for Xbox One, beat it, then bought it again for $5 for PS4, and beat it again. Loved it both times, warts and all.

I would've gotten the plat too, if not for the online trophies for a game that has long since had its online presence eliminated.

On PC I'm still able to find games.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Red Warrior posted:

There's nothing about Andromeda that for me wasn't done better in Mass Effect 1. Everything about the story, direction of cut scenes, animation, characters, sound design, music, the scale of it, the world building was all done better in a game that came out 10 years before on the previous gen.

I know some people might prefer the combat but it became too shootery for me. Inventory management maybe? I still remember that being terrible in Andromeda.

Edit: These Mass Effect remasters better be decent. They should be part of Bioware's mea culpa for Andromeda, if they just poo poo out some basic ports with no real effort put into them then they can gently caress off.

ME1 combat is a horrible janky "I WILL DESTROY YOU" mess.

Andromeda is really fluid and fun to play around in, I wish more games just embraced letting you move around like crazy.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Knack 3 confirmed

oh poo poo

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
All the stuff I'm interested in is also on PC so Sony really isn't offering much to make me pick up a PS5 on launch.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
We're going to live inside the PS6.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Can't wait to play Skyrim on xCloud.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

I think it's safe to assume Fallout/Elder Scrolls aren't going to be on PS5 now.

But they will also be on PC as well as Xbox.

It'll be a timed exclusive at most.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

what exactly are you basing this on?

Because they want to make money and Microsoft has already stated that they don't view Sony as a competitor anymore.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

I admire your optimism.

Like someone in the Xbox thread just said - "You can pay $70 for it on PS5, or you can subscribe to Game Pass and play it for $15 a month on your Xbox/PC/Android on release."

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If Elder Scrolls 6 is xbox only... I'm buying an xbox

don't say "but PC!!!", i'm not a nerd

it'll be on android

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Spring Break My Heart posted:

If they were going with that philosophy you'd have seen Halo, Gears and Forza on PS4

Those games don't have any history of being multiplatform whereas everything Microsoft just bought does. I think they'll go the Minecraft route on this.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Xbox PC app lets you install to whichever drive you want. Gamepass is honestly great

To be fair, the first time I used it last year it was a bad experience trying to change which drive I wanted to install on but it's fixed up now.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah I don't know why some people would think future games would be on PS5. The entire point of this is to sell more Game Pass Ultimate subs.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

they called the sixth Elder Scrolls game “Elder Scrolls One”

The Power of One.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

VideoGames posted:

Yeah I think I need to reword what I meant because I said it very incorrectly:

The way the file structure of the install went with the folder protected and uneditable, lead me to believe that microsoft store was way more walled off than games I was used to. Technically people mod games because they get to play with the files and such even if the game does not explicitly say you can mod this.

With the microsoft store acting the way it does with obfuscation I thought it would prevent people from just playing around with files.

By far the worst thing about walling off the files is that I can't add the games as shortcuts to Steam which I use as my launcher for every platform.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
Microsoft 2028: It's with pleasure we welcome Playstation to the Xbox Cloud family

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

John F Bennett posted:

I don't use my pc for games. Really, I'm barely a gamer, I just like having a console in the house for the ease of playing something every now and then.

It's almost as if the Xbox Series S and Gamepass is targeting a really sizable group of the human population that Sony's third-person action exclusives don't appeal to.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

They just bought a company whose main IPs are first person action games...

They bought 1 company with 6 studios of which the most well known makes RPG's.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

They bought them for fallout and ES.

The rest are there but those are why they bought them

Yeah RPG's, I don't see how they're like God of War, TLOU, HZD, or Uncharted which are all basically the same third-person action story singleplayer experience.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Rad Valtar posted:

Potato is a perfect analogy for Elder Scrolls. A giant bland open world.

You're not wrong but you're not right either. ESVI is going to be the biggest release in gaming history and rightfully so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sounds like its very much a Gamepass deal.

Everyone in here thinking that this was done to beat Playstation and not to kill Stadia is stuck in 2 generations ago thinking. This will hurt Playstation for sure but that's just a side effect of Sony being in the room with two giants with their service war going on.