Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Nioh has potentially hundreds of hours of playtime if you like developing your character, co-op etc.

It's a very meaty action RPG and the upcoming DLC just adds even more stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

What are the best things in Nier Automata?

I've heard people praise it but nothing concrete. I've been playing Nioh exclusively for a while now because the gameplay is so good.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I've never played/heard anything about Persona but 5 looks cool in the sort of way each fifth game in a series does.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I still have my original copy of Dragon's Dogma.

Freeeeee

Yup. Not giving it up for the remaster

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Me, Nioh and Bloodborne are having a threesome every so often

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I remember how my copy of Armored Core For Answer ran at like 1-5 FPS on a perfectly functional PS3.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

A bandicoot must hoont

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

el oso posted:

So is FFXV any good or what? Does it at least have good music?

The music is written by Yoko Shimomura also known for Parasite Eve and Kingdom Hearts. The soundtrack is very strong and probably the only aspect of the game that never had to redone.

The battle system is ok but the narrative is disjointed, the sidequests are plentiful but they are literally "Go and get this thanks" with maybe two lines of dialogue at most. The game has a lot of travel time in the car

I think you'll find it entertaining on your first playthrough though. The game has cool little details and it's pleasant to look at. The main castcis quite likeable.

Remember to check the rewards of the sidequests from the Quests menu and see if they offer any reward that interests you. Only do monster hunts if you are in need of cash, completing all of them is tedious with little reward. There are also hidden dungeons in the world which are probably the most interesting side content

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 6, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

I tend to think the health recovery mechanic is training you to get back in the fray even when you are in danger, but i guess that Health Recovery Gems and Blood Vials are at odds with that sort of design and I am definitely not one of the geniuses at From.

Ok, so for this month's PS+ games I haven't played an AC since 3 (:smith:) and I booted up this month's free AC stand alone. I was dumped into a loving stupid boat fight and then asked to go deep sea diving for treasure and realized that I was playing for 10 minutes and hadn't assassinated anybody and didn't see any assassination in sight, sighed, and closed it.

You should play Metal Gear Rising. The name is quite literal

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The time I played The Last Guardian (Haven't finished) I enjoyed more when I was playing with my friend who knew the game well. I didn't necessarily enjoy the puzzle aspects, just the overall style, pacing and atmosphere. It's definitely the kind of game I'd just enjoy watching and talking about.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

verbal enema posted:

Playing Nioh again after like forever and Sakon is a dick and I hate his long gay (sexy) spear and lion dog

I presume you are on your first playthrough. Try using the katana skill "Backwave > Tempest" when he's not using Living Weapon.

It takes a bit practice but you can counter almost everything he does. Spear attacks are notoriously easy to counter.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

poptart_fairy posted:

Go for it. Very uneven experience, but worth a punt if you enjoy body horror and mindfuckery stories. The DLC is much more tightly designed than the main campaign.

I found the DLC tedious because all the stuff that makes the game good (Combat, resource management and cool set pieces) are pretty much completely absent. It doesn't feel like a game. Or at least a game where a choice between handgun, shotgun or a glass bottle can kill you.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 24, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Haven't watched much of the Evil Within 2 but so far the second sequel to RE4 is looking good

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

virinvictus posted:

Is DS3+DLC worth the $107 I'm seeing it on the PlayStation store? I'm playing and loving Bloodborne. Or should I start with the base game?

I'd say definitely start with the base game. I played Dark Souls 3 but didn't like it nearly as much as BB so I never bought the DLC.

Also compared to BB, the DkS3 dlc doesn't seem to connect very well to the story leaving more questions unanswered. Old Hunters shows what happened to the characters mentioned in the main game and the origins of the plot. This poo poo is good stuff.

DkS3 dlc is.... I don't know honestly despite reading about it

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 1, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

MGSV is good if you like fun

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

henpod posted:

So are Amensia and MGS5 objectively good games? I have no time for gaming, but want to try something new (and free!).

It runs with silky smooth performance and looks great. The controls fine tuned to near perfection so sneaking and shooting feels responsive.

Unfortunately this comes with the expense of the narrative so you sort of make your own fun within those missions

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

So far Nioh is the best samuraiman simulation ever made.

I like it and games like Metal Gear Rising, Bloodborne etc. because the fighting is really intense and reading your opponent is half the fight.

I wonder if SP even tries to capture the same sort of intense swordfighting or if it’s just Infamous/Asssassins Creed

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Fuzz posted:

This.

Or even better, it all happened offscreen between games, and it's only mentioned on the side in a non-denominational, "yeah, I have someone waiting for me back home after this. Now let's get back to work..." type of deal.

Her life continued to move like a normal person, but it's just not relevant to the game.

It worked for Raiden in Metal Gear Rising

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I can't get over how good the graphics are in Final Fantasy 15. The model work and texturing are just insanely detailed, like regardless of the game, the amount of work that must have gone into all the assets is staggering.

FFXV has pretty asphalt

Considering the time you spend on the road, you start paying attention

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

A 2018 Devil May Cry V announcement would absolutely reduce me to big, sloppy “I’ve missed you so much” tears

Every major japanese franchise gets at least five games so they have the excuse to use the latin number V (for victory)

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

It should be noted that on harder difficulties the game doesnt necessarily reward scavenging. Quite the opposite, theres nothing to scavenge so you are just killing zombies with bottles and bricks.

Imo anything beyond Hard is boring because the only thing you find are empty drawers

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Based on what Ive seen Pro is totally not worth it as long as your Ps4 is still alive and kicking

So I guess Sony did something right

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

You can tell Kojima doesn't really stray away from his MGS roots. Even the way cutscenes are directed is 1:1 in the style of Phantom Pain

Or rather MGS has always been a testing ground for his ideas because Konami doesn't give him any money to do other games.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I tried the beta and I definitely enjoyed what I was doing

I only played Freedom Unite briefly but MonHu on a proper home console could definitely be my jam

Also the graphics look really nice

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Okami is an adventure puzzling solving game

Also the precursor to METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

When another game has a boss fight where you can outlast the greatest sniper ever so he dies of old age or you can poison an invisible assassin with rotten food, I'm ready to declare it the best game ever

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Peace Walker. :allears:

The true MGSV.

If we took into account all canonical Metal Gear games 5 would be Metal Gear Solid X

Yes, even Portable Ops and Revengeance you guys

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

henpod posted:

MGSV looked great, had awesome tools, gunplay and so on. It's just goddamned repetitive :(

MGSV is my favorite boot camp mil simulator

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I bet none of you cleared Backup Backdown with a mounted anti air cannon

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Still waiting for Metal Gear Rising Revengeance Remastered

Gonna play Nier upcoming holidays, Im so exciteddd

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Szurumbur posted:

Doesn't jump in MGR have some i-frames, like in DMC?

Even if it does, Defensive Offense is much better, has very generous i frames, has combo offset like Bayonetta dodges and attacks the enemies while dodging

Its an excellent dodge move so i dont know what people are complaining

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Shadow225 posted:

MGR is completely overrated. Offensive Defense translates into 'you don't get to use any of the cool weapons or moves you buy' since it only works with the basic attack. If there's one thing I love about Character Action Games is being punished for using the tools given to me in the game.

Umm you have no idea what you are talking about to be blunt

The dodge cancels almost every move in the game

It also works regardless of the weapon you have equipped

Come to my house and I will show you the play the game

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 18, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Im not sure if I understand

MGR nails the balance between blocking and dodging perfectly. Blocking is safe, easy way to counterattack but it also locks you in place and cuts off your attack strings

Dodging is the only way to avoid grabs, gives more distance from the opponent (especially the neutral back dodge is super good) deals extra damage every time you do it and lets you continue attack strings for those damaging combo enders

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 18, 2017

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I really want more info Left Alive. Front Mission spinoff shootyman with character and mech designs from Yoji Shinkawa.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Give her/him our goonregards, the soundtrack is amazing, vocals included.

Now I just have to get some time to actually play the drat game

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Everyone new to MonHu should just watch this official tutorial series

https://youtu.be/KGOonNxHbc8

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I played 3 hours of Nier Automata last night

I got killed 2 times in the prologue before I switched to Normal.

Other than that, what a wonderful game. I also like the simplicity of the combat which is still very reaction heavy.

Also holyshit fully customizable controls Ive never seen this in my life

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I thought healing items were used automatically but then I died with a bunch of them in inventory. Whats the best way to use them

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I mustve accidentally unequipped it

Also bought my first large sword and man I wish I had bought it before going to the desert.

I switched attacking and dodging to shoulder buttons to have full control of the camera. Feels pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

the truth posted:

I am just now starting FF XV and I actually like it. I have mainly been driving around the world and doing side quests, and I am in the middle of Chapter 3. I know I have a long way to go, but it’s a lot better than I imagined. The combat is fun even if the story is definitely disjointed and awkward.

Is the exploration and combat like this in FF XII?

Exploration is much better in FFXII imo and you are actively fighting and finding loot as you do it

The combat is seamless but its more like old school MMO with melee dudes autoattacking and mages throwing spells

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 25, 2017