Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Controversial statement: I hope they never make another Bloodborne, and rather continue to experiment with the formula in wildly different settings with the trademark Souls level design and storytelling.

Dark Souls 3 was good, but it suffered from clear sequel fatigue

Leave my perfect son Bloodborne alone, forever frozen in unchanging solitude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Over There posted:

That's not controversial at all. Most of the biggest fans don't want a sequel.

B-but I wanted to be an internet badboy :qq:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Over There posted:

I just saw a reddit thread about it where a bunch of them said they wanted Bloodborne 2 so I retract that statement. Badboy ahead

Awww yeah. My internet cred has been restored

Triggered much?!?!?! :c00lbutt:

I genuinely want that one Souls-like that was rumored a while back - "Phantom Wall" or something, a Souls-like about unarmed combat set in a Mayan setting, that sounded absolutely metal

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Tlg loving owns

TLG is straight-up one of the best games I've ever played, top 5 at least, and there's nothing like it

Jankiness and all

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

nearly all i remember of tlg these days is the awful tooltips and condescending, intrusive voiceover hints for every puzzle

the game was okay but it would have been so much better if it hadn't treated the player like an idiot

Would've been a nice option to turn off tooltips and hints in general, yes - I did get annoyed at the tooltips, but I didn't encounter many voice overs, luckily

Still, I would've liked an option to disable the narration altogether. I can think of two places where it actually furthers the game somewhat: some place where it outright tells you that Trico will now attempt to imitate you, leading to advanced commands; and a bit towards the end where it tells you the rune-blob thing is the master of the valley, which you might not even recognize otherwise. Everything else works without words, pretty much.

It's weird how differently people remember that game; I encountered a lot of janky controls, but nearly no glitches, and the crazy physics animation system they've got led to some absolutely amazing unplanned moments. Others I know ran right head-first into some apparently frustrating glitch. Maybe I've just got more patience for that kind of bullshit, I've powered through a lot of annoying game elements which ultimately didn't detract from the overall experience a lot (even though those games would definitely be better without 'em - it just... doesn't quite matter compared to what sticks with you).

It's a great game

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I've been getting lost in Sekiro for the last two days. Verdict:

It's REALLY fuckin' good

I wasn't really digging the traditional Japanese asthetics, but there is enough cool stuff done in the setting (so far) that I don't really mind. And, hey, it could still get really wild in the later parts. Right now, I'm at the very top of Ashina Castle, and I killed Lady Butterfly (that is an extremely well-done fight, and it's amazing how fast you can blaze through it once you really know what you're doing!). It's quite a different beast than Dark Souls; breaking stamina with parries & blocking in general is MUCH more important for some enemies, and you kinda have to get used to different enemy types to properly use special counters. I still have no idea how to handle the spear monk guys.

Now I have to decide whether I should kill General Ashina, or see what I can find in the Abandoned Dungeon...

Choices!!!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'm glad they're throwing out the main character, he's garbage, as is the entire rest of the cast and story (except for the unintentionally hilarious parts, I guess)

I just hope they get rid of the loot storm, and do some proper environment design. Having enemies constantly spawn in from nowhere is lazy fuckin' design, especially if it's always repeating enemy types. The Souls series had a ton of enemies unique to their environment, too. And some of the levels are just garbage, same-y looking labyrinth corridors with barely any interesting enemy setups. And how many sad, ineffectual, isolated traps where there?! Too many levels felt like lazy, interchangeable copy-pasting. I'd say the individual levels kinda encourage that sort of repetitive design, but Demon's Souls showed it can work. I'd gladly take much fewer levels if they have anywhere close to the care put into them.

They need to throw out, like, 50% of all systems, polish the remaining 50% and do some proper level design.

I do think the ninja fortress and the battlefield are absolute highlights, though. It's where the game kinda sticks to a theme throughout, there are unique setups, and not too many repeats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

BisterdDave posted:

Well poo poo, recommend some other Kill la Kill like animes.

Watch Space Patrol Luluco

I'm not kidding

It's super short, it's got similar humor, it's actually non-skeevy, and having actually seen Kill la Kill makes one particular episode 100% better