Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I played it a bunch as a kid but World is kinda bland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:psyduck:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the wiiu has its fair share of bad ubisoft games

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Playstation 4: Nintendo Switch

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This thread is poo poo but

Fix posted:

Yakuza 0 is so good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I mean, expect a Yoko Taro game rather than MGR2 or Bayo3 but yeah.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

W101 was more divisive but got generally positive reviews, it's biggest problem being lack of effective mechanical explanations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Their licensed games were made on slimmer schedules and generally led by different staff than their more notable games. It's a mark on their brand but not reflective of their work under publishers wanting more than a quick buck off cartoon IPs.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This sort of thing is why you should ascribe games to the people who made them rather than the label or publishing house they work for.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gravy Jones posted:

None of the CoD/FIFA bro's here at work will have even heard of either of these games, but I guarantee that if they had, they'd be hating on them. They might leave their comfort zone for a new Assassain's Creed or FarCry, but that would be about it. Everything else is terrible... if it's Japanese it's even more terrible.

is it hard posting from inside that locker

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ramagamma posted:

I love Yakuza Zero and Bloodborne but its madness to say they are universally loved. Those are not games for everyone.

no game's a game for everyone despite this thread wanting to have The Universal Rec for some bizarre reason

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Tiny Chalupa posted:

What is the hype with persona 5?
I've never played any of the previous versions
I guess, what sets it apart from the other rpg's?
From spoiler free reviews I've seen seems like I'm a high school student or something?

I'm interested but have no idea what it is

atlus is a well-regarded jrpg dev and P5 is their first HD rpg effort following 3 and 4 becoming their breakout titles

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Too much content is bad now. loving goons.

People aren't a hivemind and plenty prefer well-paced, shorter games to ones that they feel are bloated to make a bullet point on the box

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Atelier is good

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Even a cheapo PSTV was an eh purchase since both Tokyo Xanadu and Ys 8 have improved PS4 versions coming. P4G, Celceta, Atelier, and PSP games are nice but yeah.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nichol posted:

Uhhh no self reflecting weeb would play a game in English when there is a more Great Nippon option.

Maybe mgsv.

dubs are the light

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

persona 5 is really good but it is the definition of "not for everyone"

people that've never played a game like it before should def try it out if they're interested, but if you didn't like 3 or 4 then obviously you're not gonna like this one

Eh, I didn't care for FES but I'm liking 5.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Though with stuff like sub fees to use online features becoming ubiquitous consoles are plenty willing to stack on extra costs too.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wandle Cax posted:

Some people do not understand why others would not enjoy things like bloodborne and nioh when they are some of the most inaccessible niche games that exist.

Not really? I'm not huge into them myself but they're pretty popular for niche titles, and there are far more opaque games out there than "hard arpg".

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 17, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Uncle w Benefits posted:

All of the goon weebs on my PS4 friends list are balls deep in some Persona 5.

It's a JRPG/dating sim mix, right? And there's been 4 other JRPG/dating sim games previously?

The dating is minor and optional but yeah, it alternates between dungeons dives and hanging out with people around town for bonus abilities like a washed-out politican and that creepy kid who's probably gonna stab someone one day.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Look up the fusion calculator though. You don't need it to play the game, but it makes one sidequest chain much easier.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tbh the issue's mostly it taking the form of morgana going "yeah nah" instead of the MC going "boy I'm tired as poo poo"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Ryuji's cool and I haven't had issue with him aside from them laying on the "oh dear I just don't get these ultra-layman's psych concepts" bit pretty thick early on.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

e: sorry

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 27, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

A game mechanic that's been in since 3 isn't a spoiler lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I should've been less vague, but the reaper isn't really a boss and unless you're in the habit of dropping your controller in the random gen dungeons you'll never see it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

People are getting wound up about the minor game mechanic thing is one thing, but are we just gonna gloss over the fact that people are saying a pretty low-tier by SMT standards 'super' boss is now "virtually unkillable and exists to stop you from making progress" and the only way to deal with it is an exploit.

It's not like the game is siccing a roadblock Demi-Fiend on you, c'mon now.

I said it exists to compel you to keep progressing, though it's pretty irrelevant.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's not what I meant to say, so sorry about this whole episode.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sounds like something a hipster would say

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I feel like there's a word you're intending but swapping out because you know it'd sound bad

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Imao the Japanese can't put together a tight narrative to save their lives for the most part.

Yeah there it is

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's only because you kept juxtaposing it with "western anything" then shifted to "the japanese". I get what kind of schlock people are referring to when they just say "anime".

Motto fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 29, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Palace 1 is definitely the worst about that. That archangel (?), is a huge pain if you don't ambush it, and even then I needed to put him to sleep. Further on surprise wipes by damage alone weren't really a thing unless I got really unlucky with crits or weaknesses, and if you max a lot of party ranks you'll get plenty of safety measures.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Did they add a new scene for that or is it just a fade out or something?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Let's discuss which games that pushed millions of copies are and aren't niche for more pages

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cold Steel III will be pretty good yeah

(If you can read japanese)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

someonedisagreedwithme.gif

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Shadow of War stuff sounds especially scummy since they're using "well there's currency earnable ingame too" and "if you put the time in everyone gets to see the same stuff" type language over core mechanics, equipment and building your army.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The planet is already dead, Cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Romance options bolted onto games otherwise wholly not about that are halfassed and dumb at best.