Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hey did a recent update break something? I idled on the home menu for a few minutes while doing something else and suddenly it started stuttering by an insane amount, taking like 10 seconds to respond to my inputs, and then when I turned the system off to let it stop making GBS threads itself it froze before finally turning off a minute later. turned it back on and it was fine. seems like maybe it was a memory leak or something? did it just have a violent negative reaction to me putting in the Nier Automata disc? what's the deal?

should probably mention it's a vanilla PS4, 500GB

EDIT: Nier Automata disc got spit out saying "Data is corrupted", but then I put it back in and it worked fine. Uh...ok?

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

most fandom is populated by teenagers so if you can’t shut up about how much a specific fandom annoys you it means you’re actively engaging with teen melodrama and getting worked up over it which is pretty lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

can someone tell konami to fix the drat audio balancing in their half-assed port of a port of symphony of the night, I can barely hear the rad music over Sasuke Uchiha grunting

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

How the gently caress did Konami make the controls so amazingly intuitive in mgsv and no one else figured out how to copy them

Also drat it but god of war fights are so mechanically poorly done. It seems like it can't decide if it wants to be souls or witcher/nier style where enemy level difference is all important, plus kratos doesn't take much visible reaction to getting hit. An ancient can chew me down almost instantly with a beam attack , then I can fight a boss with next to no damage taken and back and forth

It's still amazing and I stayed up too late last night playing it but I don't have much interest in the optional post game fights unless my gear is gonna make them super easy

Western game developers are generally pretty addicted to their “immersive animations” which almost always get in the way of responsive controls.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ohh, I think I see what's going on here. The random event is probably just "how did this horse and person get set on fire? What a mystery!!", except the programmer half-assed the job by just designating "this spot is fire" and spawning the horse and rider there. And because of that, that spot is always fire and anything entering it burns.

100-hour work week will do that to ya

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tetris Effect is really loving great. I’m no good at Tetris but the round of marathon mode I played had me playing better than I ever have before. The audio-visual design is so good at drawing you in and keeping you calm and focused.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah Bloodborne is fun and challenging and all blah blah blah but more importantly it is a masterpiece of worldbuilding, visual artistry and surreal horror that few in the medium have rivaled

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

LISA is a better story than TLOU anyway

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Joel is from Texas he couldn’t have been all that great

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dragon Quest 11 is good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

Legacy of Kain is one of the most badass story hooks of all time. The first game's ending choices are the good ending where your guy sacrifices himself to restore balance to the world and everyone is happy & you are remembered a hero. The bad ending is you refuse the sacrifice and corrupt the entire world and sit on its ruined pillars as your throne.

The sequels are based on the canonical ending being you refusing the sacrifice and loving the world up. How much does that rule? I can't think of any games whose sequels made its bad ending canon.

Nier is a sequel to the worst ending in Drakengard

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rolo posted:

Anyone else find it kind of hosed up that this video game system for all ages has an entire tab in the store trying to sell kids on joining the US Army?

um excuse me this is the Sony PlayStation Four a dedicated advanced next-gen revolutionary gaming system for only the most hardcore of real gamers ages 20-35

also, welcome to America

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JBP posted:

This is sort of related, but an aside, can you advertise junk food during kids programming in America? I guess the answer is yes. I always get grossed out at the deluge of military advertising in Australia whenever I see a vaguely action oriented film, but our military advertising is basically smiling women fortifying south east Asian people's homes against floods and other bullshit. Is American military advertising seriously like, blazing guns, power fantasies and explosions?

Yes. Our country is insanely bloodthirsty, ridiculously stupid, and has a religious reverence for instruments of mass murder.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Darksiders 3 is probably the most broken game I’ve played and still enjoyed in recent memory. At one point the game made the audio for my entire PS4 cut out, System Menu and everything, until I closed the application. Still having a great time but boy this game probably needed another month or two in the oven at least lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It looks good and it’s supposed to come out next year. They gave an hour long demo to backers during E3, have been providing constant development progress reports and responding to feedback. It only looks like Mighty No 9 if you squint really really hard and also forget almost everything about Mighty No 9

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The ports of SOTN and Rondo are perfectly adequate. They’re 1:1 copies of the PSP ports and have much lower load times than the original. It doesn’t have the original voice acting or the licensed music from the credits of SOTN but what are ya gonna do. It’s the bare minimum rerelease but it plays perfectly fine

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

how dare you besmirch the name of the ingame trailer for the sequel to Sony’s God of War

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

spoiler alert: it's a living nightmare as usual

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

Tbh these use to be poo poo shows but I think they get better every year. Their stage this year is beautiful

nope still terrible sorry

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

Not sure what you're even expecting but okay!

absolutely nothing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

obsidian are making an actual video game
thank you

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

oof devil trigger is not very good live

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Escobarbarian posted:

oh yeah I forgot that when I saw more Celeste gameplay footage earlier I was reminded that I’m really not into the visual style like at all and that it actually is enough to put me off buying it :( I’m sorry everyone

what the gently caress

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

geoff keighly really really really wants you to buy RDR2

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JBP posted:

It looks ugly sorry

don't sign your posts

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pathless is an instant buy for me

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

So I missed that they brought out the Avengers directors and proceeded to not do anything with them related to Marvel? What?

They played the all important role of helping dabbing thanos get into fortnite

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

My balls are hot for video games right now gnight everyone

gently caress video games, actually

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

they've also gotten much much worse as a company since then

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Did one of the God of War patches make leveling faster? I played when the game first came out and it felt like it took a while to get new abilities, and I stopped playing after a few hours. But now I started back up again the other day and had like a dozen abilities ready to be unlocked.

The game had a slow start which turned me off a bit, the combat felt really repetitive. But after getting a few upgrades it’s picked up a lot

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

Your level is tied to your gear iirc so finding and wearing better stuff bumps you up? Idk its been 10 months so maybe im wrong

I’m talking about the skills you spend exp on, not the gear level

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RareAcumen posted:

The materials to upgrading your axe come at specific points in the story and the axe has to be level 2, 3, 4 or 5 to upgrade things locked behind those numbers.

Uh yeah I know I’m just asking if they lowered the exp costs for stuff at some point

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

BisterdDave posted:

I played Odyssey because people told me is wasn't really an Assassin's Creed game, but within 10 minutes I was like "yup, this definitely an AC game". Didn't really make it much further than that.

Odyssey is like assassin’s creed except instead of being part assassinating and part lovely combat it is almost 100% lovely combat

It’s certainly technically a shift in direction

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

If I decide to get a Far Cry game which one should I get, 3, 4, or 5

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I got 5 because it was on sale for less than 3 or 4
also Ive already played 2, I’m just burnt out from work and wanting to indulge in a mindless modern open world FPS is all. RE2 is too stressful to play on weeknights before going to bed

Augus fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 22, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

going back to Phantom Pain for the first time in a long while it's hilarious how lovely and tacked-on the post-launch content all is.
the power creep with the weapons that were patched in is absurd (14 loving stars???) and it's all just upgraded versions of weapons you already have that you'd need to grind for hours and spend real-world money to be able to use. of course the campaign missions weren't balanced for these, they're absurdly broken, they're there entirely to feed into the horrid repetitive never-ending skinner box that is the online base invasions.
meanwhile they never patched in basic loving options like "toggle subsistence mode on for all the other main missions and not just the handful that the game requires you to do"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

people who thought mr x was annoying were probably bad at the game :colbert:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

Mr X is, when you get down to it, just not that dangerous on his own. Sure he can punch you and grab you but mostly what he’s there for is to hurry you into making mistakes on other enemies.

yeah he’s there to pressure you into making hasty mistakes like “oh let me flee from him down this hallway with the licker I didn’t kill-oh god oh poo poo I regret everything”

his presence adds a crucial element to the risk-reward balance of this game in the same way that the crimson heads did in REmake because every zombie you leave alive can potentially become a big problem when you have to flee from Mr X but every bullet you fire has a chance of attracting him.

His increased presence in the 2nd run means you need to plan your route through the mansion efficiently to keep him off you’re back and pick and choose which zombies to eliminate carefully.

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 25, 2019

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what’s up everyone this is FuriousGamerX here with part 358 of Let’s Play Nier Automata
WHY WONT THIS loving ROBOT STOP TRIPPING?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hope it isn’t as half-assed as Dark Souls Remastered was!