Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Never played the first game but this looks really good, the nemesis system that everyone seems to have loved looks to have been expanded a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9D7RTPI7yM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

glam rock hamhock posted:

Eh, that was pretty weak. They just didn't have much new.

Yeah. The games they showed looked really good but the conference just felt like, "Hey, remember those games we announced at past conferences that still aren't out yet?" and it's disappointing that they had nothing new to show other than a remake of a PS2 game. I guess this is the result of Sony shutting down so many studios over the years and given the absence of Dreams yet again, I'm beginning to think that Media Molecule is next on the chopping block. Seems a safe assumption that Gran Turismo Sport has suffered another delay too, given its absence.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I've been considering buying Overwatch since it looks good, but is it worthwhile if you intend to treat it as a pick-up and play shooter or is it a crappy experience without a dedicated group to play with?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Was thinking about picking up the Burnout Paradise remaster but apparently it's terrible? I saw talk that it got patched but people still complaining that it needs to be fixed without going into detail on what's actually wrong with the game. Does anyone know because I'm curious if it's majorly broken or just has some small niggles that aren't that big of a deal.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Guillermus posted:

Regarding backwards compatibility again, if the PS5 isn't backwards compatible with PS4 games I'll jump ship again to Microsoft because now I own like a hundred games on my 360 that are compatible with the xbone and sure they will be compatible with the next MS console. I also own a good bunch of Xbox one games through Gold so I can finally put my 360 into the box. I can always get a cheap PS5 a few years into its cycle and get the exclusives I want and keep growing my Microsoft library like it's steam.

Yeah, I really enjoyed the PS1/PS2/PS3 but I've soured on the brand with the PS4 due to Sony's closure of so many studios I liked, lack of backwards compatibility and locking multiplayer behind the PS+ paywall when pretty much all their exclusives are singleplayer games. Bloodborne is one of the best games that I've ever played but aside from that I doubt I'll enjoy much else exclusive-wise on the console aside from The Last of Us 2 (I really hope ND doesn't gently caress up the multiplayer with pay-to-win crap again) and maybe Death Stranding which seems 50/50 at this point.

I recently got an Xbox One X and it's been really fun getting to go back and replay old games (Burnout Revenge is still amazing) and I've never been a Halo fan but Forza & Gears have always been solid in my opinion and cover singleplayer/multiplayer bases really well. It's nice to have a console that's actually quiet for a change as well.

Everyone has different tastes but despite how unpopular it was I think Sony did a great job with the PS3 (especially with software) and they've since completely lost the plot and all that the PS4 seems to have going for it right now is Bloodborne and eventually The Last of Us 2. Would have loved if the Warhawk/Starhawk devs were around to put out another great multiplayer shooter, Sony Liverpool actually gave us a good racing game to play on the console (Wipeout HD & Fury was a masterpiece) and Guerilla Games remembered how fun Killzone 2 multiplayer was.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I know I was just talking about my personal tastes and disappointment at the heavy singleplayer focus after they lock multiplayer behind PS+.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

TaurusOxford posted:

Well somebody needs to put a strong focus on singleplayer games, if only to continue to make EA look like complete loving idiots.

I really hope they lose their loot box gambling case because the Fifa franchise and EU market is pretty much their big money maker as far as I know so it will be hilarious if they get kneecapped there.

Also the best singleplayer developers are Arkane and From Software :colbert:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think Modern Warfare 2 hit 8 in the sales charts when it was made BC last month lol. People not using the feature is a myth, everyone likes to revisit old favorites sometimes and it's nice having one device that does that rather than having a whole bunch of consoles connected to your TV.

Besides, Sony knows that PS4 owners want to play old games as well, that's why there's so many remasters.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

DrNutt posted:

I must be struggling to get rid of my twentieth century thinking because my first thought upon reading that was "wait, how old do you think both Tei and Q1 modding are?"

Q1 modding was awesome because the AI would fight each other and ignore the player so you could setup monster deathmatch arenas in level editors and it's weird that such a small and simple feature isn't in games today (aside from different enemy factions in Destiny fighting each other, I can't think of any other examples).

I wish more games could lean into that so it doesn't always feel like the player is the center of whatever world they inhabit but instead NPCs all have their own agendas and goals and you can just watch chaos unfold if you want and maybe join in.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Am I right in understanding Sony finally implemented region changing for PSN accounts or does that only apply for people moving around within the EU? I know a while back if you moved abroad they just told you to make a new account.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Imhotep posted:

If you haven’t played Bloodborne, or DS3, play those next in that order.

Recently completed Bloodborne and loved it. Haven't played any DS games but got Dark Souls 3 and the expansions for it. Any tips/suggestions for a newcomer to the franchise that loved Bloodborne? I understand one of the big differences is DS has shields and they're useful but is there anything else major? Does co-op work in a similar way or is it more solo-focused?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The Destiny games have really good gunplay, the only thing holding them back is the 30fps framerate which weirdly enough doesn't feel that bad. Trying out Destiny 2 at 60fps on PC felt fantastic however, I'd put it up there with Titanfall. My only issue with COD is that the time to kill is much too low so it feels more like hide and seek most of the time since there's little opportunity to outplay someone if they see you first.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

BisterdDave posted:

I always hear that the gunplay in Destiny is one of the best available, I really should track down a cheap copy somewhere.

CoD TTK always felt pretty good in most games (Ghosts felt so drat low that you'd be killed in a nanosecond though). One of the main reasons why I prefer CoD to other shooters is how fast the games are, even if you are killed by someone who saw you half a second first it's always super quick to get back in the action.

You might end up hating Destiny. The gunplay and combat is really fun and PvP is good but there's a lot of baggage in the game and as a new player today? I imagine you'd be completely overwhelmed with content and where to even begin. If it clicks for you and it's your thing however it can be a lot of fun, but it's one of those games that expects you to be playing regularly to keep up with what's happening and grinding to the point where you have decent weapons and gear to be competitive in PvP could take a while. It's a shame since it feels really good to play and control but it's also tailored towards the MMO crowd in a sense, albeit not fully. It's an acquired taste, that's for sure.

Regarding TTK I think my own personal preference just comes from growing up playing arena shooters like Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 where it took a lot of hits to take someone down and games today come nowhere close to that (Overwatch seems to have a high TTK? I haven't played it, though) and generally rely on peer-to-peer connections as well, which makes TTKs seem even shorter than intended.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Mr Snips posted:

I've got him down to about 10% on one attempt now so I think I could do it if I don't take too much damage in the first phase.

I tried summoning help earlier but I sat waiting outside the fog door for about 5 minutes without anyone showing up, looks like I'll have to do it solo.

Set online to "Worldwide" in the online settings menu and wait about ten minutes maybe? If I remember right I beat him with an NPC summon, I think. Either ways I'm utter garbage and did it second attempt about a month ago, and there were plenty of people helping throughout the game, even in the chalice dungeons, save for that one custom dungeon I wandered into when I didn't know what I was doing and ended up having a group of 3 NPC hunters rolling with me which was awesome. Poor guys all got taken out one-by-one while fighting the boss, though :smith:

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

precision posted:

In what ways? All I'm seeing as points of reference are "lock on" (most notably done way before Dark Souls existed in Ocarina of Time) and the finishers that bear very slight resemblance to visceral attacks.

All the non combat traversal looks much more like Uncharted, Horizon and God of War.

To me the game really looked like someone mildly reskinned Uncharted 4. It wasn't until the fighting started I realized that at least the Star Wars game has a better combat engine. I'd love to see the reactions if the reveal was exactly the same but had the Naughty Dog logo instead of Respawn.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Apparently developers at E3 are letting slip that the PS5 is actually going to be the most powerful console next generation, despite Microsoft's initial claims when they announced their new console last year. Considering developers are having to get to grips with the dev kits right now since they're probably both launching Q4 next year (well, the next Xbox definitely is) they'll likely be dealing with close to finalized specifications and it's unlikely for things to change.

I really hope Sony has a proper cooling solution this time. Does anybody really care if the console is bigger as long as it doesn't sound like a jet engine?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Andrew Reiner

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Game Informer exec, so I don't doubt that he's talked to a lot of developers about this. He's classifying it as a rumor for now but states the info all comes from devs themselves.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Judge Tesla posted:

You can hear my launch PS4 from space when I play Red Dead Redemption 2 so I might wait for the PS5 to get the last lot of upcoming PS4 games.

That's how I'm feeling but at the same time if they prioritize small size over decent airflow with the PS5 and we have another stupidly noisy console it's gonna really suck.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

ShakeZula posted:

Well I've taken a few cracks at Father Gascoigne and had limited success. Think I'll do a little blood echo farming and level up before I try again.

Use the beckoning bell and get some help. Bloodborne is one of the best games ever made in my opinion and there's no shame in getting help if you're stuck. People will have differing opinions on how the fun is attained (e.g. finally overcoming the more difficult challenges) but my philosophy is life's too short to keep butting your head against a wall in a video game and it's worth experiencing so give the boss some tries and if you can't handle it get some help. One guy might show up or maybe two and then you can go on and continue to enjoy the game. Plus you'll get the satisfaction of getting to dunk on a boss that was giving you grief.

On a slightly-related note, someone released an "easy mode" mod for the PC version of Sekiro and the response has been overwhelmingly positive and a lot of people who wrote the game off are loving it now. It's a shame it's not possible for consoles because I filed the game into the "Don't buy" pile when I saw it wouldn't have online co-op like the Souls games.

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

Vicar Amelia is pwning me pretty good. I'm trying to roll around her to stay behind but she keeps clipping me :/ Been trying to ring my beckoning bell for help but no responses for a while if anyone on and wants to help (read: beat her for me).

Sometimes you need to give it ten or fifteen minutes. Someone will always come to help, and if you have the DLC you can get AI hunters helping you as well in some spots, both in the main game and the chalice dungeons. I remember one fun run in a chalice dungeon with three AI hunters helping me and it was hilarious.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Is the Sekiro “easy mode” just no damage God-Mode? I feel like if it effects enemy behavior at all then you’re really losing out on the high paced frenetic action of the game.

Apparently it buffs things which makes the combat a lot faster, with your attacks being more powerful and posture regenerating quickly. The changes listed are:

- It does not die by Terror.
- Strong attack power, high defense strength, and stamina.
- High Drop item Rate.
- Weapon buff time increase.
- Infinite Spirit Emblem.
- Prevents Damage from falling.
- Infinite Time of Puppeteer Ninjustsu

It seems you still die and need to learn to parry etc. but it makes fights faster and also more forgiving.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

They could still cater to "hardcore gamers" and also offer a lower difficulty mode as well (or the SoulsBorne solution of co-op). Would it personally hurt or upset you if From Software did that? What's wrong with people who hit a wall or cannot commit long periods of time to overcoming whatever they're stuck with being able to still progress and see everything that the game has to offer?

In earlier posts people were discussing being stuck in Bloodborne, which is one of my favorite games of all-time. Rather than get frustrated or put the game down and miss out I think they'd be better seeking co-op help so they can see everything else that the game has to offer, especially since in my opinion it actually becomes easier once passing those roadblocks that they've currently hit.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bayonetta is one of the best action games ever made and the devs still included a difficulty which is so easy that the game essentially plays itself. I think that's pretty cool.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If you would be genuinely upset that more people got to enjoy a video game that you like then perhaps the issue is not the games or people who aren't "hardcore" enough for you.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

gey muckle mowser posted:

I should play Bloodbourne again, I bounced off it when it came out but based on everyone's posts I was probably playing it wrong by being too defensive.

One of the central mechanics is that you regain health by inflicting damage on enemies shortly after they have damaged you. You should definitely not be playing defensively. Play smart of course, because of the usual FromSoftware traps, but during combat you need to be very aggressive.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I think its cool they included it but that anyone who sincerely used it is a fool.

I think it's more so that kids with severe disabilities that don't have many gaming options due to the type of controllers they have to use get to play a more traditional game as opposed to the usual watered-down edutainment stuff. I think the mode moves Bayonetta around for you and you just need to push one button to do attacks etc. which is cool. There's still the traditional range of difficulty modes but that's a special one that I think is pretty wholesome given who would be making use of it. The difficulty above it is still very easy (it even has regenerating health) but relies on being able to use all of the controller.

Bust Rodd posted:

I said I’d be “let down” because it would mean that FromSoftware’s artistic vision had strayed from what made me love them.

How would their artistic vision stray from what made you love them if the normal mode was designed the same way as every other game by them? Easy mode would be taking that artistic vision and thinking "Okay, we've made the game, now what can we tweak for the easy mode."

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro are all designed completely around the idea that players are intended to die, repeatedly. It is one of, if not THE, central tenets of the games. A version of these games were you didn’t die repeatedly, or couldn’t die at all, would literally be at odds with the game itself. That’s the simplest way I can explain it.

The Souls series and Bloodborne offer an easy-mode by allowing co-op. Sekiro is the odd one out. So do you hate the Souls games and Bloodborne or what?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

other people enjoying video games doesn’t stop the ones you like from existing.

Exactly, so there's no need to get upset about people who aren't "hardcore gamers" getting to enjoy them.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Okay, replace the word 'upset' with 'offended'.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

The real tragedy is that there ain't gonna be a Bloodborne 2 :(

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Vikar Jerome posted:

Your gonna be surprised and confused in feb.

I'll be overjoyed if Miyazaki was lying this entire time.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Vikar Jerome posted:

Hows a japan studio, non-from, bloodborne 2 ps5 launch title sound. Because miyazaki wasnt lying.

Sounds like what I was dreading. Wouldn't touch at launch and wait a few months for initial excitement to die down and get genuine impressions. Japan Studio ain't very good, imo. Then again the online component would probably be shut down after that time passed so idk.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

like that's really the crux of the thing for me. people who don't like the difficulty in FROMgames (or the repetition in Nier) aren't being kept from the game's experience- they're getting the game's experience, and it turns out they don't enjoy it, which is fine! no two people have the exact same tastes!

What about someone who has been playing Sekiro and enjoying it but then reaches a point halfway through the game where they hit a wall and their progress comes to a complete standstill. Would their desire to then lower the difficulty of the game so that they can continue to enjoy it mean that they actually don't enjoy it, even though they've enjoyed it up to that point? Does everyone who ever summoned co-op help in Bloodborne actually hate the game, even if it's one of the best gaming experiences they've ever had?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

My memory of playing FF7 when it came out is hazy but although Remake looks amazing I can't figure out how they're going to do the world map stuff in an episodic game. Are they going to ditch the world map entirely? I remember leaving Midgar being a big moment in FF7 when you go to the world map for the first time, and wandering to that area where Sephiroth killed that big serpent or whatever it was.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

My main wonder was regarding areas and locations, and if we'd need to swap discs/episodes at certain points when going back to somewhere? Then again I can't remember if many locations were revisited in FF7 to begin with and the world map was more of a novelty? The prospect of those Weapon fights in FF7R is really exciting, though. I remember the one that attacks Midgar being really impressive and I think there was one you had to hunt underwater in the world map?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

f#a# posted:

i don't care I will recommend that game to EVERYONE

It's to PS4 recommendations what Demon's Souls was to PS3 recommendations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I thought the initial reveal for Far Cry 4 was amazing (up in the mountains then free-falling down and attacking a base) and it was really disappointing to see the side-by-side comparison of how much the final game was downgraded and nothing at all like that. If it had been I'd have bought it just for enjoying the scenery and going hang gliding.

That reminds me of FF15 actually, did the final game ever actually feature the gameplay from the demo they showed with the characters fighting inside a building as water swirled through the air and there was a giant sea creature outside? It looked incredible but then I saw the demo was just wandering around empty fields and wondered what went wrong.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Uncharted 2 has forced stealth failure-on-detection sequences, making it the worst of the series

"There's an enemy above you! An enemy above you!"

*yoink*

"...there's an enemy below you! An enemy below you!"

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

What first party studios can provide a PS5-only exclusive for launch, or even the first year? Naughty Dog is busy with TLOU2 for PS4, Ghost of Tsushima is still due for PS4, God of War & Spiderman both came out in 2018 after long dev cycles so Santa Monica & Insomniac won't have had time to get something ready for launch, Polyphony Digital is... yeah... and who else do they have? It took Media Molecule an entire generation to release Dreams and since the PS3 glory days Sony has shut down great studios or abandoned their funding left and right (RIP Studio Liverpool). All I can think of as being free to put something out is Sony Japan? They don't have a great track record when it comes to good games but I don't know who else they can rely on for a launch game unless they pay out for third party exclusivity? Maybe if they crunch like crazy they might be able to squeeze something out of Guerilla Games? They managed Killzone for the PS4 launch but it wasn't very good and they needed a solid 4 years to get Horizon done after that.

I'm guessing they're going to do exactly what Microsoft is doing and rely on TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima as cross-gen games to keep them afloat at launch. Naughty Dog remembered multiplayer is an important thing that exists in gaming so I'm placing bets on the multiplayer component/standalone for TLOU2 will be the first major PS5-only exclusive. Sony's first party studios are stretched too thin and take a long time to make games, it's why so many conferences are just "Here's an update on the same game you saw last year, and the year before, and the year before that..." without much new. They'll probably have some great trailers to show for launch, but I'd expect a 2-3 year wait for actual release. Maybe they persuaded From Software to go back to Souls games and make a new Bloodborne for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

haveblue posted:

Under the most optimistic timelines things are returning to normal by fall, and in that case they could probably make 2020. So, expect 2021.

Didn't all the Covid talk say to expect this to last until at least Spring 2021, as a best case scenario? I remember that being the general consensus before things started getting worse because governments weren't taking the correct measures and then when they slowly began to catch up the public isn't really listening which is going to drag things on even longer.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They hosed up big time announcing Cyberpunk for this console gen. It's gonna look so unbelievably poo poo

There's no way it looks anywhere near as good as that original "gameplay demo" and I wish they'd just delay it for a couple years, move it to next gen and get the game back to looking like that because it would be worth it. Still bummed about the huge hit Witcher 3 took, and that was far less ambitious.