Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
That Lego Millenium Falcon looked pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Any thoughts on Trials: Fusions? I loved me some Trials HD on the 360 and £3.99 seems like a steal

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I finally bought a 4k tv and that seems like a good excuse to replay Horizon!

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I got a free copy of The Order and lasted maybe 30 minutes before the boredom became too much to handle. Pretty game though.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Oneiros posted:

Nier is not grindy and you’re not “playing through the campaign twice” in the usual sense of NG+. Whether you’ll like it depends on whether Yoko Taro’s storytelling combined with Platinum Games’ gameplay interests you at all. Personally, I think it’s one of the best games I’ve played in a long time.

As much as I enjoyed Nier, it doesn't have typical Platinum Games style combat and I would have maybe enjoyed it more if I didn't go in with the expectations which that studios name carries

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I found the combat in Nier so boring because there was no complexity to it, I don't know how it would have worked but I'd have loved a Bayonetta/DMC/Viewtiful Joe style rating system

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Unreal_One posted:

It has exactly Platinum Games style combat, just people don't pay attention to how mediocre a surprising amount of Platinum's content has been. It's no Revengeance or Bayonetta, combat wise.

I've played both Bayonettas, Vanquish, MGS:R and I'll chuck in God Hand and both Viewtiful Joes as well since they are kind of from the same seed. That's a set of games with incredible combat systems which were the most interesting parts of the games for me personally. I can't comment on their other games but Niers combat was utterly bland in comparison.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Witcher 3 had fine combat, it wasn't Dark Souls but I just don't see the problems people had with it, you had to time your attacks, Geralts motion was fluid and satisfying to watch, you had options with the magic system, there was depth available for people who wanted to play on higher difficulties. I don't know if I misunderstood the combat in FF15 but it seemed to be "hold O and occasionally tap Square" which is a shame because it made an otherwise gorgeous and absorbing game less satisfying to play. If they'd just put in a FF7 style turn-based system I'd have loved that game so much more.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I've tried to replay FF7 half a dozen times since the 90s and always stop around the end of Midgar.

Bought it on ps4 this year and had a great time playing it on easy mode x3 speed with no random battles. Took about 8 hours or so. First time I've beat the game since 1998 and man that game goes places.

Used to find the thought of a remake incredibly exciting but now I just can't wait for them to shoehorn all the weird poo poo like Cloud crossdressing or fighting a skyscraper dragon or a intelligent fire lion into a semi realistic art style.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I bought the Pro mostly for the hard-drive space, I'm really interested in a 4k display but I want to see it in person before if it's deciding if a TV upgrade is too ridiculous or not.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
If you have a Star Wars fix there are several ways you can get your fill without playing Battlefront 2. You could go see that new Star Wars movie at the cinema, you could play one of the several classic Star Wars games which are on sale on Steam at the moment, "STAR WARS™ Galactic Battlegrounds" is my pick for £1.62 for that nostalgia hit. Dig out your old SNES and spend some time with the classic trilogy of Star Wars themed platformers. You could watch Revenge of the Sith again or even cut the chord on a NES Zapper and pretend you are Hans Solo.

Hell, if you are that badly in need of a space fix, buy yourself a copy of Buzz Aldrin's Space Program - http://store.steampowered.com/app/308270/Buzz_Aldrins_Space_Program_Manager/ - because it'll probably be more engaging than spending your time and money on Star Wars Battlefront II.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Bombadilillo posted:

Put on easy. Blow through it for story.

Good advice, both for Uncharted games and Nier

Edit: Actually, don't play Uncharted for the story, play it on easy and pretend Nathan Drake is a superhero

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I finally bought a 4k TV, Samsung MU6400, the jump up in quality isn't maybe as mind-blowing as I had hoped but it's a nice addition, so far the best part has been watching Blue Planet II in Ultra HD. Uncharted 4 looks nice, so does Horizon, Persona 5 while not enhanced by the pro just looks smoother and more colourful by virtue of being on a better TV.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Bombadilillo posted:

How'd you watch that.

It's free on BBC TV at least for a limited time I think

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Nice to see Deus Ex on there, I got a lot of mileage from Human Revolution

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Persona 5 isn't for everyone, I certainly dont love it as much as some - I've read about people beating it within a week or beating it and instantly starting a New Game+ - but I'm 30 hours in and chip away at it a couple of hours a week.

If the style of the game hasn't grabbed you after 12 hours it might never because it feels like more of the same with bigger numbers and more complex combat from hour 12 to 30. Cool game though, excellent music.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

amazeballs posted:

With that said, I think I'm moving on to Nier next, despite Bloodborne and Persona 5 also being on my list... Tough call.

Pablo Gigante posted:

The Holy Trinity

Let me tell you about the Uncharted games...

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Pablo Gigante posted:

They're not even in the same ballpark

I mean gently caress yeah I'd rate Nier, Persona and Bloodborne as my 3 favourite ps4 games but they might be completely off putting to some folks

Calling the first 3 Uncharted's a holy trinity is maybe a bit much of me though, 4 has to be in there somewhere

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

a7m2 posted:

Should I get Nier or Persona 5 for 60 bucks? I've never played a Persona or Nier series game before.

e: I have 60 PSN bucks ready to spend and I kinda want both based on the comments in this thread, so please help me pick one.

They are both great but relatively niche games in the grand scheme, knowing zero about your gaming preferences I'd wager you'd prefer Persona but ultimately I'd recommend you try both.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Fabulous Knight posted:

I know the major plot twist of Horizon Zero Dawn, but still really like the way the game looks. It's probably still totally worth playing, no?

I played and had a fantastic time with that game and paid zero attention to the plot or story and in fact have no idea what plot twist you are referring too so yeah its worth a craic.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

a7m2 posted:

The H:ZD story is a bit poo poo but you shouldn't be playing it for the story.

The point where you were dumped in a room with the expectation you'd sit around listening to 20 minutes of audio logs was when I broke and rushed to the end skipping all exposition.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I've enjoyed every games controller I've ever used except for the original Xbox 'Duke', way too large, having a black and a white button was just odd and the dpad was sub-par. Props to Microsoft for making the follow up controller actually decent and also linking up so well with PCs.

Nothing will beat the iconic impact of Square, Triangle, Circle, Cross though.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Sekenr posted:

I bought PS4 recently and decided to play Uncharted remastered bundle starting with the first one. It isn't going too well because the game is kinda ... crap? It's really boring and awkward shooting sessions one after another. So the question is, does it get better or this is pretty much it? I am now in a spanish fort looking for girl after the plane crash.

Uncharted 1 is a perfect example of how 11 years can turn a game from "mildly impressive year one tech demo" into "boring, uninspired revisionist garbage".

Its not terrible on its own terms but if you're played any videogame in the past ten years where you move a human around a 3D area its going to feel sub par.

Also the movement is oddly floaty and off putting but they fix that in later Uncharteds.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Electromax posted:

drat, 11 years ago.

When Uncharted 1 originally came out, the equivalently aged games at the time were Mario 64 and Quake. UC1 compares to UC4 a lot more favorably today than 1996 games compare to UC1... diminishing returns I guess.

Mario64 and Quake are still legitimately brilliant games though.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Monster Hunter isn't out till next week, I've basically got 2 options to pick from for the next couple of nights. Finally replay Final Fantasy 9 for the first time in something like 17 years or give Dark Souls 2 an honest shot in anticipation of the upcoming DS1 remaster.

I'm leaning towards FF just because playing 7 with the ps4 cheats on was hilarious and cathartic. Also it's a lot less like Monster Hunter than Dark Souls although if I remember rightly there is some kind of hunting competition at some point? I dunno I just rememver Vivi being cool.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I almost cancelled my MonHun preorder to get a switch.

Then i bought one anyway.

Then i bought shadow of the collosus.

Prolly gonna play pubg all weekend.

Videogames

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I might say that's a good point to switch off the game

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I would agree. It's a bizarrely weak segment compared to the rest of the game and when you do eventually get back to the house, it's a pretty quick run to the end.

Couldn't agree more. One of the scariest things about Re7 is how quickly it ends. Love the game but man that last quarter felt so disjointed.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Man i just want to get through this work day, go home, order a pizza smoke weed and hunt monsters.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

John F Bennett posted:

What's so good about the monster game? What makes it better than other games where you run and kill stuff?

The bit where you beat the poo poo out a bunch of massive arachnids and then fashion their scales into a lance and shield set that looks just like one of their legs is when it really sold itself to me.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Sakurazuka posted:

If I'm being defensive of anything it's first time MH players who are going into it expecting something it's not because of all the dumb Souls comparisons

Please won't somebody think of the gamers

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Finally home, now the hunt beings :cheers:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
My cat died quite recently so it kinda sucks having to make a cat buddy in MH but I was messing around and made this little guy and it seems appropriate to name him Trico :toot:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I've always wanted to do a playthrough of one of the souls games with a magic-build or even the gun focused build I'd read about in Bloodborne but then I just get an axe and smash everything in

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I'd maybe knock 10 off Hotline Miami but that's a good list

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

rabidsquid posted:

if i get monster hunter right now i will have to wait an extra month to get a switch, but if i dont get monster hunter now i'll still have to wait a month to get the switch since i was gonna get it for my birthday. what should i do goons

This weekend I bought Monster Hunter and a Switch and they both rule so far

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

VideoGames posted:

$60 a month?

That's me hosed until August

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Aw man I love Monster Hunter, I've put 8 hours in since Friday which isn't insane I know but when you factor in me having a busy social schedule this weekend and also buying a Switch on Saturday then it shows how absorbing I'm finding it.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Olive! posted:

Are they adding anything new to the Sotc remaster?

About 45 frames a second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Shadow of the Colossus was a neat game but its technical limitations really put me off to the point of never really giving it an honest shot; only 5/6 bosses or so.

This remake looks like it's how the game should originally have been and it should be great.