Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Pingiivi posted:

It probably uses HDMI CEC instead of actually controlling the console directly.

Yeah, it’s HDMI CEC. If it hadn’t have been for a crappy cable box breaking CEC and ARC on my system, I’d never have bought that lovely PDP PS4 Media Remote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Policenaut posted:

I don't think they've ever put them on sale. Whenever Sony put out one of those 20% discount codes I'd just throw one or two of them into the cart with everything else I was buying, so it took awhile to get all 4. They're pretty nice, chill, not too hard or anything like that. The first two (Green and Balata) are full remakes of courses from the first two Hot Shots Golf games so they're great throwbacks if you've ever played those games.

Ah, I thought those courses were familiar!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

LionArcher posted:

What’s the benefits of a PS4 Pro versus a slim (same hard drive size aside).i have a 1080P tv I won’t upgrade till next summer I’m guessing, and buy most games physical. Just curious.

I upgraded to the pro, and am on a 1080 TV, and boost mode alone makes it worth it. I couldn’t play Just Cause 3 or the second half of Mad Max due to the frame rate and graphics issues making me actually physically ill, but both ran rock-solid on the pro. Also, the latest firmware opened up the option to use supersampling mode, and holy poo poo, does that make things pretty. Netflix supersamples 4K down to 1080p and it looks great, too.

Also, if you are even thinking about buying the PSVR, just get the pro now, you’ll end up wanting to upgrade if you don’t.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

homeless snail posted:

I get just about everything on PC if I can ,which I think makes me a little less enthusiastic about the PS4 library than some people itt

You do realize, whether or not a game is on the good ole Autism Box, that doesn’t make it not count as being on the PS4 if it’s on both, don’t you?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

teh_Broseph posted:

Heyyy is there a good way to do PS4 Remote Play to a PC on a local network, like a reverse Steam Link? I tried it like a year+ ago using the official app and it was balls - 720p (windowed on a 1440p screen buhh), and laggy like it was still going through the internet. Since then I've futzed with my network stuff so maybe there was a problem with it connecting direct? I'm assuming it does LAN streaming and not just through the internet..? There was also a non-free third party app that said it'd do 1080p and more options I never tried, but google makes it sound like third party stuff is dead after a firmware update. I'm on a PSpoor btw.

It works over the internet, but it is highly sensitive to the quality of your connection. At an old job I actually played some Diablo III on my PS Vita over WiFi with a co-worker who was on his laptop on the company LAN and it worked decently enough for us to co-op a Greater Rift.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yakuza 0 has literally the funniest writing I've ever seen in a game

0 has some hilarious stuff, but the funniest Yakuza overall is Dead Souls. Between the main villain of Yakuza 2 having turned his back on the life to become a takoyaki vendor with a cybernetic arm that turns into a Gatling cannon and Majima’s horror movie-based strategies for surviving a zombie apocalypse, it’s hilarious.

Sadly, seeing all the funny stuff means PLAYING Dead Souls, and I can’t really recommend that in good conscience, as much as I loved having hostesses get tooled up and follow me into quarantine while wearing evening gowns.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Quote-Unquote posted:

Holy poo poo both Yakuza 0 and Kiwami are on sale in the UK PSN store for £12 each. After loving 6 so much but being reluctant to try older ones in janky engines, that's a good price for me to bite the bullet.

Kiwami is a remake of 1 running on the Dragon Engine from 6.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

rabidsquid posted:

i hope it doesn't get worse than it is now, but i used to be a Shaw customer in BC and i am vaguely concerned we're gonna get blasted with canadian ISP style service now.

any canadians in here want to comment on if they've improved at all

Well, I moved from Calgary to Airdrie, which is about 15 minutes north on the highway. I’m a 150 customer, and my speeds stayed the same, but they didn’t change the provisioning for two months, so I was having a shitload of connection timeouts. Still better than Telus at my last place. I was literally a five-minute walk from the fibre switching facility for northwest calgary, but my area was 15 years overdue for replacement of the phone lines!

Deadguy2322 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jun 21, 2018

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Moe_Rahn posted:

I'm about 15 hours into 4 and man, I'm hoping that the remasters do something with the localization, because there's also a stretch pretty early on where the word "tranny" is being dropped all over the place like cash from the top of the Millennium Tower; it's pretty jarring to see in TYOOL 2018.

(the rape joke got an audible groan/sigh from me, and the Saejima/Haruka scene left me pretty weirded out)

Being so progressive and all, how about just realizing that the Yakuza games depict, and are a product of, a culture with different values that may not always mesh with your own? You are playing a game that takes place in a criminal underworld, and some of those guys just might not be very nice people, and they might use words you don’t like, but the games are for grown-ups and grown-ups can handle that kind of thing now and then.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
I agree with the earlier call for Isshin to get localized, but Sega really needs to make things right with us North American Yakuza die-hards by releasing Kenzan here if there’s a remake done for PS4. If they can give us Fist of the North Star, they can give us the samurai-era stuff!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

...! posted:

They need to remaster Dead Souls.

If they remaster Dead Souls using what the team learned when they made Binary Domain, I’d seriously 100% the game again!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Timotheous Venture posted:

Wait until the sale ends and buy it at full price because that game is rad as hell. It's a shame not enough people like arcade twin-stick shooters - the dev team is moving in a new direction because their recent games, in spite of being some of the best the genre ever produced, just weren't selling well enough.

It isn’t that people don’t like twin-stick shooters, the problem is that there have been WAY too many of them in the last 15 years or so!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Are Yakuza 0 substories locked out after you beat certain chapters? I went back after I beat the game and can't find a lot of the substories I'm missing.

Some are tied to time of day, so you may have to wait until the endgame to do them.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Housh posted:

I liked talking about yakuza when we were worried about the fate of the series in the west. Now we live in the bizarro timeline that Trump is president and the Yakuza series is a huge worldwide success.

The funniest part of it is that the main factor in Yakuza finally breaking through in the west was the death of SEGA USA and Altus USA, who had been screwed over by the American branch of SEGA in their effort to license Yakuza 3, becoming the new SEGA USA in their place. Karma did us all a huge favour.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

mastershakeman posted:

I kind of like yak0s platinum requirement because there is absolutely no way I want to go for it because it's so hard. Dark souls 3 was very tempting to go for and I'm glad I didn't because of the amount of grind required

Mgsv is just so fun mechanically with so many goofy way to play going for the plat was pretty fun. Especially since s tanks are best accomplished speed running the mission do it wasn't too tedious

Yakuza 0’s platinum is like the ones for 3-5, and most Japanese games, really. You have to be a masochistic hikkikomori with insane luck and gaming skill to pull them off. I was pleasantly surprised that 6 had a much more reasonable Platinum.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

jokes posted:

They gotta put Path of Exile onto the PS4. It's clearly the best way to play ARPGs imo.

The devs apparently gargled the big green shaft and are making it Bone exclusive.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Neo Rasa posted:

Way of the Samurai games, that's another series that was inadvertently waaaaaaaaaaay head of its time like can you imagine how big those games would have been in streaming circles?

There's a faq online, I would 100% check out Yakuza Ishin. Though again it's in the same template as Yakuza so not quite a more freeform thing like Way of the Samurai. The combat has a different feel too as while you can beat people up the majority of it is built around wielding a pistol and a sword a the same time, great soundtrack too like every game in the series.

Man Sega was foolish to not bring Ishin out in the US for the PS4's launch. They had a pretty solid window where it would have sold just on it being one of like three games out at that point where you could run around and stab people and word of mouth would have done the rest like with Zero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97KPOoqVFfc

Maybe now, with Altus running the show in North America and the Yakuza series finally finding an audience outside Japan big enough to sustain it, we will see the decision not to localize it revisited. I do recall, however, that it was SEGA Japan that blocked Kenzan and Isshin due to cultural and content concerns, things like the Haruka analog in Kenzan being a young girl sold to a brothel by her parents.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Heavy Metal posted:

I can see either view on the Majima thing, it works for me though. He didn't change all that much necessarily as to who he is, the zany devil may care stuff is something he chooses to do. He is often calm and rational in later games at times, and if we saw things from his perspective, saw all the mundane normal stuff he does, he'd probably seem like much the same guy he was in 0. He just embraces some things he likes, and lives more of a not giving a gently caress lifestyle.

I don't look at it like a origin for The Joker, Hamill connection is fun though, he's just not crazy. He dresses flashy and has more fun, but he's still a good dude with a solid head on his shoulders.

There are some great moments in the beginning of Yakuza 5 where Majima is really world-weary and contemplative while talking to Sayijima. It’s actually made clear in 4 that the whole demon persona and even his Kansai accent is just a façade.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Vikar Jerome posted:

Awesome, thought i was really misreading some of his scenes in 0 for a second there.

Goddamn cant wait for these remasters.

That’s the problem with playing a prequel without playing the games that were released before it first. You don’t have the full context for a lot of character beats and in-jokes that someone who has played the whole series would have. Good thing 0 is still an awesome game even if some parts don’t work as well for newcomers!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

irlZaphod posted:

hahahahaha

of course it is

It’s on in Canada too, but the savings drop thanks to the Canadian Peso.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

veni veni veni posted:

There's plenty. That's like 1/3rd of the way through the game. Also, it's a fun game to actually, ya know, play.

Anyone who thinks that watching a Let’s Play of a game is as good as playing it themselves should be cock-slapped til they bleed.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

rabidsquid posted:

for all of the "i just don't get LPs appeal crowd!" i have to confess that i dont get why sharing that specific opinion of yours. theres countless poo poo that doesnt appeal to me and i dont see much value in proclaiming "WHO EATS BANANAS???"

i dont know if this covers what you're looking for but noah caldwell-gervais does long form video game analysis that i tend to enjoy. i've watched several videos about games i have zero interest in ever playing and the way he presents his information is interesting enough that i still get something out of it. his far cry series retrospective was very interesting, and one of his classic videos is one discussing how well he thinks Arcanum and Bloodlines have aged, which if you're a fan of the older Troika games i think is absolutely worth a watch

Let’s Play videos have a place, the problem is the fucktards who insist that they get the same experience by watching one that they do by actually playing the game. Nobody is more retarded than the guy I saw on GAF who insisted that a Let’s Play of Demon’s Souls was as good as actually playing experiencing the gameplay firsthand.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's not going to be a difference, because PS3 games have to install it all to the HDD anyway.

No, PS3 games only install 1 to 8 GB, usually on the lower side.

The loading times in the versions of the Yakuza games were better than loading from disc for chapter changes but about the same for engine switches for things like hunting in 4.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

homeless snail posted:

Not even making the same mistakes, doubling down on them. Memory Stick was bad enough but creating an all new even more proprietary and expensive memory card for Vita was an incredibly good idea, good job Sony

The throughput speed of the Vita memory card is higher than 99% of microSD cards, and Sony wanted performance to be guaranteed to meet a baseline rather than deal with support issues due to cheapass memory being used, which was an issue with some third-party memory stick pro duos that were sold by third parties. There was also the security consideration of not using a format that a reader existed for, helping prevent the Vita from being blown wide open like the PSP was. The high price was due to low production, and never hitting economies of scale. Not totally terrible motivations behind the choice, but it wasn’t that great for consumers.

No TV-out was kinda lovely, and the Vita TV not getting streaming video apps helped that die early.

The biggest problem for the Vita was the one that they thought would actually help drive costs and prices down. By building it based on a high-spec android phone, they figured the parts would be common and cheap going forward, but they made the wrong choice of processor family and ended up in a dead end with no cost reductions as they were the only ones using their choice of chip.

Deadguy2322 fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 6, 2018

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Boogalo posted:

I just want a vita so i'll finally have analog control for all of the psx games i play on psp. Memory being more than a dollar a gig is a big old gently caress you.

It looks like sdcard adapters do work with custom firmwares so my dreams of upgrading the psp might be realized soon. Or I'll snag one of the original switches for the ultimate retro emulator handheld but they're kinda heavy for daily carry.

The MicroSD adapters are cartridge emulators for cracked systems. There’s no substitute for the memory cards.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

ElwoodCuse posted:

They squished and squeezed to get Resident Evil 2 to fit on a Nintendo 64 cart and then they left the door sequences in as if the game was loading stuff from a CD anyway

It was actually decompressing the next chunk of data, so it was still covering loading in a way.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

WaltherFeng posted:

My first ever RE4 death from decade ago was when I ran away from the villagers in the first sequence, turned a corner and the chainsaw fucker was literally waiting for me and lobbed my head off.

I've never managed to replicate that moment ever. It was so unreal how everything fell into place for that completely non scripted death to occur

I guess this belongs to RE thread

He LOPPED your head off. To lop is to cut with a chopping motion, to lob is to throw with an arcing motion.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

beep by grandpa posted:

Yakuza 0 credits rolling atm and drat...Majima's story is so, so sad. That really left a pit in my heart :cry: really broke my heart that the girl who he risked everything for doesn't even know his name or face...

Great game, best action jrpg I've played in a long time and I'm looking forward to more adventures with my friends kiryu and majima.

Having completed every game in the series released in English, aside from Kiwami (just started this afternoon), and having finished 0 this afternoon, 0 was good, but I honestly think 4 was better overall. The completion point system has potential, but they were way too stingy with them, and honestly, as great as Kiryu and Majima are, Akiyama is the best character in the series.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

TONIGHT, 10 PM AT THE PIT.....

...EVERYONE GETS LAID.

Gutter is a tool

Can you blow me where the pampers is?

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Death of Rats posted:

The rubber is split and coming off my PS4 left control stick - anyone have any suggestions on replacement sticks or covers or anything? I'm not keen to drop the cash on a second controller just yet.

I got aluminum alloy replacement thumb sticks from AliExpress, and I highly recommend can put rubber caps on if you want, but the lack of friction for movement and returning to center feels sooooooo good!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
So, after playing through the funeral chapter in Yakuza Kiwami, and having played the original game a decade ago, all I have to say is, anyone who thought it was hard to get through in Kiwami has no idea how much easier they had it.

I still have nightmares about the dogs!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

RareAcumen posted:

The hardest part of the funeral in Kiwami is beating Shimano. Especially if you go right into it without grinding up for an attack boost and all of the Kiwami moves.

The PS2 version had the normal enemies, guys with guns, Rottweilers and dobermans and probably another wave or two of mooks, in an engine with prerendered backgrounds and fixed camera angles. The dogs were insanely difficult to hit with Kiryu’s moveset and the projectile enemies were often off-camera. Shimano was about the same, but you were more limited as the only fighting style was the Dragon style with only low-level moves available.

It was brutal.

By comparison, the Kiwami version was a gentle massage.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Samuringa posted:

Just out of curiosity, were there Heat Actions against the dogs?

Nope. They were just extremely fast and hard to target, almost as if the engine couldn’t cope with their size being so different from most other models.

Unsurprisingly they never showed up anywhere else in the game or any of the sequels.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m playing through the PS4 Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix and it’s honestly more fun than like 80% of action games release in the last 15 years, FYI.

Sorry, but I only take game recommendations from people who know how to conjugate verbs properly.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
I just picked up the Hori Control Pad Mini this afternoon, and so far it’s perfect. I have small hands and arthritis/RSI in my right index finger, so the lack of a bump for the R buttons is great! Most comfortable controller since the 6-button Genesis pads!

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
Update in case anyone cares - after a few hours of use in Yakuza Kiwami, the Hori Mini pad is the most comfortable controller since the 6-button Genesis pad. I love it!

Deadguy2322 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 19, 2018

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Kilometers Davis posted:

I googled that and was ready to make some snarky post about how something so tiny could be anywhere near “good”. Before doing that I went back to see if you had mentioned it before and found that you have a perfect good reason to own it. I should work on not judging things solely from my own perspective.

I apologize for my nearly existing snarky rear end in a top hat post! I’m glad it works for you so well. It actually looks pretty cool :)

It isn’t THAT much smaller, aside from the lack of grip legs, actually. The main nice point for me is the triggers being out of a flush surface instead of the humps they come from on standard Sony controls. The DualShock shape actually makes it impossible to use my index finger some days due to pain from holding that position, Hori is great. I also found the glorious Logitech Wireless Gamepads for PS2 and PS3 similarly beneficial.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
I got the bundle with The Last of Us Remastered in October 2014 when Target Canada (RIP) had a bonus copy of CoD: Advanced Warfare. The price jumped when the dollar tanked, but with that deal it was ok, and my wife said I deserved a great birthday/anniversary gift. I already had all the Plus freebies from launch to then, so I had a dozen games waiting for me. Finished AW in 2 days, then Dust, which I played choking back the vomit induced by the unholy mixture of Koreaboo and furry in the shittacular art style.

I’ve owned every generation of PlayStation since that’s where the games I want to play come out 99% of the time.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits
Forgot to mention that I got the Star Wars Battlefront II limited edition pro as a gift last Christmas and handed my original down to my daughter with fresh thermal paste and a 2TB upgraded hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Policenaut posted:

I recently 100%ed Just Cause 3 just to detox from playing highly linear games so much and it was pretty fun. The frame rate gets kind of dodgy even on Pro when too much poo poo is exploding all at once, but it's that weird kind of frame rate drop where everything just slows down instead of getting choppy. I love the sense of speed and the fun movement in it, like from the get-go it's pretty fun to use your grappling hook to get some speed then jump up with a parachute then switch to the wingsuit and just clear kilometers with ease, but then you get like multi-grapple and easier transition skills and drat it's great.

I tried going back to it, but even on the pro the texture filtering effect they used combined with the frame issues actually make me physically sick. Being a migraine sufferer really blows sometimes!