Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
It's not cheaper right now, they have the two side by side on their store for the exact same price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I thought RDR2 was good for a while, but man, the difference between just screwing around the world which is interesting and fun, and doing missions is so jarring. On top of that, most missions are just shooting galleries and the gun play is really bad. ADS to lock and then shoot. I know you can turn lock off, but I just don't think the gun play is all good for a game about shooting guns a lot. I just got worn out on it eventually. The world they created is incredible though, too bad it has average game play at best.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
USB C would be a lot nicer since it's finally a reversible cable.and at some point most devices will be that as well hopefully.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
They kill off people close to the protagonists whether they are gay or not, it's for emotional impact and character motivation. Joel loses his daughter and girlfriend / partner in the first game . I mean Ellie is gay and she isn't dead, she's literally the lead character in part 2.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Arist posted:

Yes, you can contextualize individual examples of works that bury their gays all day long and rationalize them all away, but the problem is that disproportionately, gay characters are made "tragic" and have their love interests killed off. Being gay is fine, being in a committed relationship while gay is not. The problem with tropes isn't that a single game is guilty or not, it's one of patterns and trends.
So your argument is that Naughty Dog thinks gay relationships are bad or their audience thinks that so they have to introduce and then kill them off? I just think people close to the protagonist dying off in a zombie story is far more of a trope than killing off gay characters.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Samuringa posted:

You tossed two more examples of women getting fridged so, thanks?
No problem.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok the point is not “Naughty Dog is intentionally harming their gay characters because they are homophobes” the point I thought we were discussing was “Naughty Dog seems more than capable to not lean on these common motivations that tend to leave gay and minority characters on the shelf so it’s kind of lame that they are.”

The rebuttal of “but it’s the future where everyone dies and everything sucks so nobody gets a good representation” is something that I have learned from the Cyberpunk 2077 thread doesn’t seem to really hold water to the people who feel underrepresented.
I was wrong, I agree with this take. I never thought the writing was anything special, so if people feel this way about the game, I can't argue against that.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I have to say, I am not a big fan of a dog mechanic in TLoU 2. Seems like you're going to have to kill a lot of dogs.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I don't see why they would go out of their way to do all that plastic molding on a dev kit, it looks like a lot of cooling design went in to whatever that thing is.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I honestly wasn't really interested in Death Stranding until I saw that it literally is a walking simulator and people really seem to be in to it, or at least some. It's great a big budget game is trying something completely different, I just don't know if I should buy it straight out, or rent it first.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The commentary about Death Stranding is so weird. I think only like Gianbomb and one one major reviewer didn't like it, but everyone seems to think it hasn't been well received. Pretty much everyone in the DS thread likes it, but they keep acting like it's being panned or something. I don't see how it is being received better in France or Japan than the US, the US just has more games media.

I also redboxed it. I enjoyed it for the 12 or so hours I played, also just made it to chapter 3 and wasn't interested enough to finish. I think I'll wait for the PC release at this point, but the story just really wasn't my thing and like someone said, the holograms all waiting in a line to deliver dialogue was hokey.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Nov 13, 2019

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
If it were just a dev kit, it would be in a big PC box and not in a customized case. It probably won't look exactly like that, but they wouldn't go to all the trouble of molding the plastic into that design if it weren't also testing the cooling of the design.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
That wasn't what developers got though, they got something that looked like the actual product that was released.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Those sequences are dumb in Fallen Order, and the combat is sometimes not great, but I really love the map design. I don't know why, but I keep playing it and it's fun as hell despite some real issues. I haven't even seen a modern star wars and I think the story is pretty good. It uses flashback sequences in a cool way as well. It's really well done.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Real hurthling! posted:

It makes you backtrack too much imo. Their shortcut game is decent but theres a couple planets where they should have let the ship pick you up cause they forgot to put a fast way home
Agreed, I have definitely groaned once on seeing how far back I have to go to get to the ship.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I thought maybe we would get a PC release, but they specifically mention consoles, which is really weird since a Sony studio is making it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think Subnautica is one of my all time favorite games, if not my favorite. It's taken quite a big effort to stop myself from playing the next one in early access, but I really want to play the full game from start to finish when below zero comes out.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The summer rumors were that the PS5 was more powerful than project scarlet dev kits, so I guess we'll see. I guess I would be surprised if Sony gave MS the clear power advantage.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I beat Gascoigne only by summoning someone. I wonder what the online population is with Bloodborne. Also, do you need PS plus to summon someone? Seriously thinking about starting it again with all this talk.

First time I played through the whole game with the cane.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

ShakeZula posted:

I think you need to have PS Plus, because when I first started it asked if I wanted to play online or offline, and when I picked online it prompted me to subscribe. I did get the summoning bell though, so who knows, maybe I'll give it a try.
It will probably tell you you can't use it because you're offline. Figures, thanks.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
PC hardware, even a last gen video cards can emulate PS3 games now through sheer brute force. You can play Demon's Souls at 60 FPS and it looks great, so I wouldn't be surprised if Sony could do it easier with new hardware, the question is if they want to.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Fix posted:

None of them sound all that unreasonable.
In fact it makes it seem even more plausible since it doesn't sound like a fan wish list. it talks about a bunch of marketing and reveal stuff which isn't even interesting.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

haveblue posted:

Seveneves is 2/3 good, and it actually feels like it has an ending even if the part directly leading up to it is a step down from the beginning
I liked this book a lot though I don't understand why the last 300 pages exist when it could have been condensed down to an epilogue. I also really liked about half of Anathem, such a cool setup for a book though.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

doingitwrong posted:

It’s weird to me that they’d put so much emphasis on the storage speed as a competitive advantage but then give you an amount of storage that seems to guarantee you’ll have an external HDD slapped on there. Our external drives won’t have the mega fast transfers.

If the supposition is true that the fast speeds will unlock totally new kinds of game experiences, how is the console going to manage speed differences? Will it auto move game files around? Will we have to manage it ourselves? Will the extra fast transfer not matter that much?
He said in the talk there will be drives just as fast by the time it is released. True, right now there is nothing on the market, but there will be and it will be required to be as fast as their custom solution.

In fact, the add-in drive will also use their custom controller and they will emulate their priority protocol somehow.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 20, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I played Demon's Souls again recently and I think it really holds up well. The bosses are really gimmicky but I don't mind a Souls game that let's me tear through bosses once I know the gimmick. It's still my favorite overall, even though maybe I like the play in Bloodborne better, I really like some of the levels Demon's and the NPCs are unforgettable.

If anyone in this thread cares, the game is completely playable on PC these days, though online is only available if you play on the PS3 through some unofficial server.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 21, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Can't wait for Demon's Souls PS5, so awesome.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Pretty cool presentation all around.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Since the console relies on the SSD so much, how would that work?

Oh no...it's gonna be the Vita memory cards all over again, except with proprietary Sony SSDs
You can expand it the same way as the PS4, insert a super fast SSD that should be out for consumers later this year. It's not proprietary.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I think it looks way better than the PS4, which was just a black square piece of plastic.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Demon's Souls looks amazing, wow.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I'm was going to buy for Demon's Souls anyway, but $399 is a lot less than I expected.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Waltzing Along posted:

It's $499. The $399 is for broke brains who want to pay a ton extra over the life of console.
I haven't bought a physical game in like 5 years, so whatever, I mostly use steam, so I'll be fine.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I would buy at launch anyway since I'm going to buy at some point, but Demon's Souls seals it.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
New Nvidia cards and PS5 pre-orders on the same day. Will retailers' websites be able to handle this.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Akuma posted:

It's £100 cheaper and has GamePass?
It's probably good for people still on 1080p and no PC, but aside from that, it's a hard sell with a real next gen console at $399.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Bust Rodd posted:

How are other people in the US getting PS5's on Walmart when I am also in the US and the Wal*Mart website is just saying Out of Stock?
The disk version still showed in stock a few minutes ago, the digital only was out of stock.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I guess since I just want this thing done, I went ahead and ordered the disk one at Target. Seems pretty easy to get the disk one pre-ordered so wonder if that is on purpose, I'm sure they make a larger margin as no way the drive costs them that much or maybe the diskless is just a higher demand.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

I said come in! posted:

Safe to assume that everyone is really just buying their hardware of choice right now that they intend to play just Cyberpunk 2077 on?
I am going to try and buy a 3080 tomorrow too for that. Glad the PS5 is taken care of so I don't have to deal with two things in the morning.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Well, target and Walmart held up a lot better than Best Buy, their cart seems broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Hub Dirt posted:

You all getting charged the full amount now or when the system ships?
Target did a full charge on my card, but said it would be a temporary charge and come off eventually until it ships.