Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
VR is cool and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Awesome! posted:

rory mcilroy golf is real bad right

It's not bad, per se, just not really exciting. It's perfectly serviceable golf. There's a battlefield 4 course.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

iRend posted:

Got GT Sport free with my PS4 Pro. Couldn't even FIND the VR option.

It's under Arcade in the main menu. It...could use some work.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Gonna play EDF5 and Yakuza Kiwami 2 in about five hours. There will be manly beatdowns, the only difference is whether it's fists on gangsters or missiles on aliens.

To save our mother earth from any alien attack!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

You can't have people use cool space magic in near-future dystopia New York, everything's gotta be tactical milsim no funsies allowed.
The Division appears to take itself deadly seriously, only because the game's plot isn't really in on the joke. Much of the rest of the game is, though.

exquisite tea posted:

You can't have knights vs. samurai just because, there's gotta be some elaborate temporal rift explanation.
I don't remember a temporal rift explanation in the intro video or any of the story of For Honor. I remember a cataclysm affecting three wildly disparate cultures living within a football field of each other causing them to fight over some potable water conveniently exactly at the center of their triangle. And some bullshit with a "let's you and him fight" lady.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

What kind of pleb spends their time shooting people when there are so many aliens and demons and zombies out there?

Zombies are ah, you do know, right?

Like...they're people. People who have been dehumanized. And you get to kill these dehumanized people consequence-free.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

I'm playing on a PS5 but there is no PS5 version yet. It's a PS4 game running on a PS5. I have friends who are playing it on PS5 and have reported like 40 crashes total, so I don't think it really matters what platform you are on in regards to crashes. I have no idea what factors into me having way less than that.

I've got more time in than you, my friend, and have had exactly one crash total. T'be fair y'can safely ignore my experience if you've already decided to be mad about it. It's a lot easier to be impotent angry about a dumb game than anything else you're never gonna do anything about.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Vein had been pretty positive about the game lol
Veni's my dude and the second I start playing Firewall again I'm gonna inundate him with invites, haha.

I can't imagine how difficult it is for you, CtH, to go through life without the ability to parse a subject change mid-paragraph from context.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

RareAcumen posted:

Also, being a broken record for a second

You don't need the Playstation card; I like to use my points from overspending on PSN on more PSN bux to overspend on DLC with.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

This thread is full of padding!

Like when known dinguses fall for obvious trolling. It's unnecessary and just adds bloat by confirming what we already know.

Speaking of padding, I'm always unhappy when a character creator doesn't let me play a big fat guy. Like, MLB The Show is supposed to be this great simulator but I can't even make a truly John Kruk-ian guy to lumber around the bases.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Lately I've been making some monster factory-esque visages with the biggest, fullest, most poutiest lips I can get. Their mission is then to give the whole wide world the biggest smooches by any means necessary.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol I think cd project has enough going on right now

They clearly do not.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh it’s probably deeper than 99% of games and feels like it’s trying to say something.

It's not. Play something not published by one of the really big names and you might be pleasantl--oh, right. I am quite certain you wouldn't know decent writing if it insulted you to your face.

Of course setting an impossibly high bar and then bitching when something doesn't manage to clear it is real familiar behavior.

Did you know Steve Blum played Ludger Brink in the Spielberg directed, Orson Scott Card written The Dig?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hostile little man ain’t cha

Ain't had my scotch this evening. Got me the shakes and by pure happenstance vibrated my way into a post that's a teensy bit hostile toward a guy who is consistently unable to lear--oh smooches smooches slobber smooch

I have trouble continuing on in Kentucky Route Zero because I already have too many emotions and I don't know what to do with all of them! How can I handle any more?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah self loathing sucks I will pray for you to post better

I was thinking about doing some self-reflection and starting the truly monumental task of trying to acknowledge where I might be wrong and how I can change.

Does your way work?

I thought Arcanum had some outstanding writing. You'll find people who hate gnomes to this day because of that game.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

It did, although I'm not sure I'd use that as the example for it. Gnome Rape Island is widely considered the worst, most tone-deaf and blisteringly stupid writing misstep in that entire game. Touching a nerve with a particularly vile idea like that isn't necessarily good writing. Anyone can do "shocking."

Point. Most of the rest of what's great requires a lot of context and characterization, not pithy one liners and shitposts.

I was genuinely surprised by how decent and heartfelt the writing in the Psycho-Krieg Borderlands 3 DLC was. Anyone who has actually dealt with depression and mental illness firsthand will recognize it.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

If I wanted to watch some neurotic thirtysomething dude have his own public therapy session vaguely related to video games, I'd read this thread for six hours!

Oh come now in this thread it only takes like half that time.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

In D:OS2 it's basically a rite of passage to make what you think is some kind of galaxy-brained tactical genius move only to instantly ignite your entire party and kill yourself.

If you've got enough water essence it's really not that big a deal.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Well, what's the point of throwing an rear end in a top hat skelman in a lake if you're not trying to extinguish him?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

Don’t take it seriously this is just a tact to defend the company by pretending they care about the workers now though they were the same people who defended crunch time when that came out

"Tack."

It's tack, as in the practice of angling your sail so you can move a sailboat against the wind. You take a sort of serpentine path, hence the colloquialism of changing the direction of a conversation.

Tact, on the other hand, is something you clearly haven't figured out what it is, hahaha.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Simone Magus posted:

I think they thought tact is short for tactic, which, I mean, why not

I honestly hadn't considered that. I do sometimes forget not everyone has worked a tallship and has a reasonable familiarity with nautical terminology. I won't edit it out but consider the secondary joke there scuppered.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Does X-18 in STALKER count as a sewer level?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I feel like I should play the game before I watch that...but that means buying a physical copy AND downloading the full game lol

Cooperpooper is sooper fun you definitely should and I'll vicariously enjoy games through your experience since stupid work has stupid something something

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

VideoGames posted:

While we were talking about sewer levels, I just want to say what is the deal with water levels being so difficult yet almost ALWAYS having the best music??
Some of the best bangers in video games come from water levels. Wild.

Does phendrana drifts count?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

To be fair Metroid Prime had one of the best soundtracks in all of gaming, and it's hilarious to me that the least memorable tracks are the underwater ones.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I can tell you that I literally teared up when I first loaded up Metroid Prime in what like 2001. The menu music still gets me, to this day. That game is truly a masterpiece. Highly recommended.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

And just like in college, since nobody reads the work anyway its pretty easy to pass off volume as insight.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

i'm sad nobody called out the pun waah waah gotta shitpost more to get noticed

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

words words words

you seem to have a vested interest when the conversation has moved on might I suggest making a YouTube video about it

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There’s only one YouTubee for me and that’s the lorester Vaaty Vidya whose silky voice soothe my demons

I will never tire of THE LORE LIBRARIAN

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Even if the startled looking man does have something deep and profound to say about a 90s dating sim, does it really require 6 hours to get his point across? For 6 hours I think I'd make better use of my time by playing the drat game myself

You would not.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I would simply not watch the six hour documentary and instead do something worthwhile like watch Ken Burns' Baseball.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Is that the game about doing a colonialism

Don't you want to be an oppressor? That's what fantasy is for!

Also there's magic and disease. And monsters. They're shaped like monsters.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Spiders makes eurojank rpgs and that's it. If you can't handle all that implies well, I'm sorry that you hate fun.

Give me a tricorne or give me hilariously detailed facial customization or ideally both.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Lucas Archer posted:

Greedfall just seems so aggressively bland and I can't talk enough about how the combat feels like complete garbage.

You also mentioned not getting out of the tutorial city so like where exactly should the depth of the combat have grown into?

The combat is also nothing special but it's an rpg not an action game so like as compared to for example skyrim its super involved and also the game has any flavor at all.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

i'm personally offended that Sony didn't give away Bayonetta 2 on psplus for free for me a discerning and cultured gamer who only plays the finest of cough cough hack cough

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I mean, don't. There's a million zillion games out there.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

It's more that decrying a system as "bad" when by your own admission you did nothing to engage with it is disingenuous at best and OH I AM A PRETENTIOUS GAMES REVIEWMANS NOW

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

cubicle gangster posted:

Monster hunter world - i've

Monster Hunter is a multiplayer cooperative game. You can play it solo but friends is what it's designed for from the get-go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Oh cheez I love Two Worlds. Duct-taping swords together was so addictive.

Ya said yourself you had no idea why you was fighting some dudes but the dialogue pretty much makes that super clear so I'm not sure what conclusions I was supposed to draw from reading your actual words you committed to the internets.