Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I love both the Uncharted series and the Souls games and Bloodborne but I would say Uncharted 4 is about as different in gameplay from the other Uncharted games as Bloodborne is from the Souls games (ignoring setting, obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Uncharted 4's shooting feels different (to me), the climbing is different, it has a grappling hook now, you get to drive a jeep, it's got long stretches of "character development" which, like them or not, are new to the series (I don't mean that character development is new to the series, just the long quiet stretches). Bloodborne has a bunch of changes from the Souls game but it's kind of obtuse to pretend like it's not unmistakably part of the same series and that the formula wasn't pretty well-worn by the point when it came out.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

CharlestheHammer posted:

The only difference between the uncharted games is the grappling hook so pretending it is equivalent to the massive changes bloodborne made to the formula( for good or bad) is dumb.

I disagree about the changes in Uncharted 4 and I also think Bloodborne plays like a Souls game

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This is how you know you were playing Bloodborne wrong.

Fair enough, I definitely never beat it! I did love what I played of it though, and doing a weird dance and pretending there's no relation at all gameplay-wise between it and the Souls games seems kind of weird to me

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Actually, before Bloodborne was released, Knack was probably the closest thing to a Souls game on the PS4. It has deceptively punishing difficulty where a couple enemy hits will destroy you, uses melee-based combat that requires you to think about positioning and dodging all the time, and has some gameplay elements where your experience can be slightly affected by others who have played the game

Knack is still the closest thing to a Souls game on PS4 since I hear Bloodborne plays nothing like the Souls games at all

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Knack[:] ... the prime ... experience on PS4

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
To celebrate this boon of great new exclusives my 18 month old PS4 that's hardly been used has decided to poo poo the bed. No video signal at all or a black screen across multiple TVs and cables, even in safe mode. That $60 I paid for Horizon not knowing I would only get to play it for about 2 hours would have put a decent chunk in the $100 I'm going to have to pay to fix the loving thing.

Makes me want to get a priest to bless my still-working launch PS3 if only the holy water wouldn't break it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

ufarn posted:

Sounds like it might be this issue.

Thanks! I found this also and my HDMI port looks okay unfortunately. If it looked hosed up I was going to try to use a knife to fix it but I'm going to use it to stick a copy of my manifesto to Kaz Hirai's bedroom door instead

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
In HZD weapon mods don't impart attributes on ammo that doesn't already have that attribute, right? I feel dumb but I'm having a hard time understanding tear in context with all the other elements.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Snak posted:

I don't usually even level up until after I kill Gascoigne and Cleric Beast...

I have never beaten Bloodborne but I've probably played the first third of it 6 times, but I had never ever died to Gascoigne and always brick walled against BSB, until my current attempt to play it where I proceeded to die to Gascoigne like 40 times and then beat BSB on the first try?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

This makes it the same per month as the "3 months free" deal Sony is offering in case anyone would rather buy from Amazon than try to use their credit card on the PSN

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Toraen posted:

Redeeming a 1 year code from Amazon (presumably from any source of PS 1 year code) also triggers the 3 months free deal. Although that was last week before Amazon put it on sale so maybe Sony remembered to not let these 'discounts' stack.

Oh poo poo, that's cool. I figured they wouldn't be dumb enough to allow that but Sony

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I love Horizon but I feel like the leveling system is screwy. I don't really mind because the more tools you have the more fun fighting dinosaurs is, but I haven't spent THAT much time loving around and I feel like I have way more of the skill tree unlocked than I should for not having gotten to (early-ish location spoiler) Meridian yet.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's really in your best interest to book it to Meridian ASAP, as it's your central hub for the game with all the vendors that actually have a full range of gear.

Thanks, I'll do that. I got distracted by vantage points but they'll be there when I have unlimited fast travel and maybe some of the novelty of walking everywhere has worn off.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Has anybody had any trouble with trophies unlocking in Horizon? Everything's been going along fine but I can't get the "stealth kill 10 machines" trophy to pop. It's annoying me because I think all I have left is story trophies and I'll have gotten My Very First Plat.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I didn't and haven't seen anybody post about any trouble with the unlocks (not getting the plat theme and av code in your email is a common problem) but didn't they add a trophy for an NG+ ultra-hard run or something like that in a recent patch, so... you sure you're that close?

Well, in that case maybe not! I think someone here posted that the new trophies don't affect the plat because they are in a separate section of the trophies, but maybe that's wrong.

At any rate, I tried deleting the game data and reinstalling but I've stealth killed like 30 machines since then and still no trophy.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Got my first plat ever today when I beat Horizon, and I'm honestly kind of sad it's over. Not sad enough to start a new game plus or anything like that right away, but I haven't felt compelled to 100% a game since Red Dead Redemption (which I still never platted because I wasn't interested in the multiplayer) and I'm shocked that I still kind of want to play it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I am way way behind the curve but I just wanted to say that I have 50 hours in Witcher 3 and I haven't gone to Skellige yet. I told myself I wasn't going to buy any games until I cleared my backlog so it seems like even if I just wait until after I'm done with Witcher 3 that will be in roughly 2019.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
My first PS2 game was the Summoner :(

Next was Tekken Tag Tournament which made up for it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Snak posted:

No.

Also, the fov is loving terrible. This game has a lot of strengths, and a lot of things going for it, but there are a litnif really terrible and bizarre designe choices.

Edit: ^ it's "wolscott"

I've gotten way out of PC gaming over the years just because of my desire not to use a computer when I'm not at work but Dishonored was one game that I couldn't stop thinking "I really like this but I would like it a whole lot better on PC"

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Wandle Cax posted:

They hold up well technically and definitely are playable compared to some other older games. But they require a lot of time investment and you need to really put a lot of effort in to get to grips with the dated controls.

Switching between similar games with very different control schemes usually messes me up for a while, but for some reason I can always just pick up an MGS game and fall back into it. I think the controls are so obtuse and lovely that they permanently occupy a specific part of my brain apart from other games.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
The best action RPG in the world would be if you took Witcher 3 and just bolted Dragon's Dogma combat onto it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, I'm not one of those guys that curates all the non-60fps games on Steam but uh my toaster computer ran DD at 60 so I'm not paying $30 for a shittier version even though I'm dumb enough to pay $30 for a version I can play on the couch.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Megasabin posted:

My media PC's hard drive died so I'm temporarily streaming movies to my PS4 using Plex.

I've never fiddled with my PS4's sound before. I have a receiver with a 5.1 audio system hooked up. In terms of movies is there a way to guarantee it will use my 5.1 correctly? In the audio options menu should I have the PS4 audio set to Linear PCM, Dolby, or DTS? Should I change it depending on what the individual movie supports?

If your receiver is connected to the PS4 using HDMI you should probably be using Linear PCM. If you're using optical you should probably set it to bitstream either DTS or Dolby (I always use DTS because I think it sounds better).

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Edmond Dantes posted:

I love HZD so far, but I'm starting to get really frustrated at the combat. Even when using the 'correct' types of ammo I feel like I'm plinking away at health while even watchers can 2-hit me.

I'm at Sigma and I've restarted the Thunderjaw fight about 10 times now; his melee attacks hit for 3/4 of my health, can track me through running and rolls, and even a 3-shot precision arrow volley is doing ~80 damage tops, which is so little that I don't even see the health bar move.

He takes 5, 6 ropecaster shots to tie down, and even the one time I managed to make it fall over I shot the power cells a buncha times with electric bombs and it did nothing. I've tried filling the area with traps but he just walks by and shrugs it off.

Freeze the poo poo out of him and those three-arrow volleys will do some damage. Alternately, tearblast his disc launchers off, freeze the poo poo out of him, and then unload the disc launchers into the big open weak spot in his side.

Edit: Also, in a pinch the disc launchers are sufficiently powerful to interrupt most of his moves, so you can blast him in the face when you're about to eat a laser and most of the time it will save you.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 29, 2017

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I didn't mention this earlier but: person having a hard time with the thunder jaw-- you mentioned the ropecaster taking 5 or 6s ropes to take him down, but if you stack handling mods on your ropecaster you can rapid fire that many ropes in like 3-4 seconds probably

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Fuzz posted:

I'm in the predicament where I need to figure out what to do with my perfectly functional launch PS4 now.

Feed it a pancake

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Finally beat Prey last night after taking my time with it and it was really good. It has a few missteps (technical problems, the fact that it can be kind of a loving drag at the beginning before you are levelled up, and a couple of annoying enemy types that show up more and more frequently as you go) but by and large it had me hooked the whole time. I bought it for dirt cheap and actually feel sort of guilty about it since it seems like it might have flopped.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Is Mutant Football League any good? I'm getting pangs of childhood nostalgia that are making me want it.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
It's actually, uh, good

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, the rule is "Never buy any game full price" but the second rule is "Never EVER buy an Ubisoft game full price"

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Bust Rodd posted:

This is misleading, as their is literal actual zero reward for exploration and the best items are literally impossible to find without a guide (like go pixel fishing in this exact spot at a certain point in the game kind of thing)

Oh man what cool item did I miss? :(

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Bust Rodd posted:

your 3rd pod, either the laser or the missle launcher

From an artistic/art direction standpoint I can completely understand why the game is based so heavily in Black & White, but it visually translates to everything looking washed out except for the coastline.

Oh, you just get that fishing in one of the 8 fishing areas. Phew, I was worried I might have missed an item and that you weren't just being super hyperbolic.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Ugh the Silent Hill HD Collection is just so loving bizarre. It's almost like they went out of the way to gently caress things up that they could have just left alone. Then that Tomm Hulett dude was posting just before release about how great the remasters were going to be and that he had personally ensured that things were on the level, and then went radio silent for a while when the ports actually came out. Then he couldn't post anywhere for like a year because the comments were immediately filled with people screaming about how he ruined Silent Hill.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I think the PS3 version did have some stuff patched but not nearly everything. Honestly PS2 Classics versions of 2 and 3 would be enough for me at this point and preferable to the HD Collection versions.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I haven't played DD since the original launch and I still remember that part it was loving hard and I think I just ran away eventually.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I found the Return to Arkham set for cheap and thought, "What the hell, I haven't played these since they very first came out" and Jesus Christ Arkham Asylum is still really good. It's been long enough for me that I can't remember most of the secrets just off the top of my head so it feels pretty new, and I never played Arkham Knight so I don't have any basis for comparison to think the combat has aged badly or anything like that. I'm interested to know what I'll think when I get into City but I remember thinking, "This was better when it was more focused."

Thanks for listening to be about irrelevant games.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I'm glad I'm not the only one suddenly interested in the Arkham games again. I just beat Asylum and I am in the middle of City now and I'm still really enjoying it. I came into it remembering Asylum more fondly than City, but if there's one thing that's more interesting in City it's the Riddler stuff. All the trophies and riddles in Asylum were piss easy, but there have been a few in City that I have been perilously close to googling, and a lot of the little pressure pad puzzles and things like that are pretty fun.

I never got to play Arkham Knight so at this point I'll probably wait for it to go on sale again (I think it was under $10 recently but I wasn't thinking about the Batman games then). It's probably for the best, I'd probably get severely burned out if I tried to jump straight into it from City.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've been working through my backlog to try to stop myself from spending money on God of War this month even though I really want to, and I've been playing Tomb Raider. I had forgotten how insanely fun it was. I remember not really agreeing people with it about the combat being more fun than Uncharted's, but with some hindsight I'm really having more fun shooting dudes in this than I did in any of the Uncharted games. it's a shame I missed Rise on sale last week because even though I hear it's not amazing I wouldn't mind steamrolling it and ignoring collectibles just to see what kind of crazy-rear end spectacle they come up with.

Edit: I also beat Resident Evil 7 which I thought was really good too. It's the only thing besides Wipeout that made me wish I had VR because apparently I want to die early.

RichterIX fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

D1E posted:

Some rich goon please buy this man God of War.

Or maybe consider selling your blood or old junk on Craigslist.

Not your blood on Craigslist though.

Honestly I have no willpower and I expect to crack by the time the weekend rolls around, but I'm at least going through the motions until then.