Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Welp, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a PSVR headset. There's finally enough stuff out that I want to try, and the black friday special (I got the Moss / Astrobot bundle) is pretty good*, so here we are. I've never tried VR before, so this should be novel in the very least.

*This isn't active yet, but Best Buy honors in-house price drops during the return period. I also ordered some move controllers :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Imhotep posted:

I suck at shooters, and the Formation DLC was stupid hard imo, and I beat the final boss, and I think every other boss first try. I actually want to play it again because I beat it in like less than 24 hours after it was released. The key to the last boss is to use the new abilities.

I just played through Control and the DLC for the first time. I felt overpowered as soon as I got the Telekinesis skill early on. I upgraded it all the way down the skill tree pretty much first thing, and it just does stupid amounts of damage. I don't think I got every boss first try, but the only one I remember being somewhat challenging was the optional boss down in the Pit.

Cool game, but I had this nagging feeling throughout that it could have been just a bit better with some tweaks here and there.

The Human Crouton posted:

Nioh question: I'm two missions in. There are a few parrying techniques, but I'm having trouble with them. Will I be fine playing the game as I have been with just blocking and dodging?

Is parrying more like Dark Souls, where it's not really practical the first time through since you aren't a master at the game yet?

I didn't parry much at all in it. The skills just felt awkward to me, and it definitely isn't required.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 26, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Never have I felt so alienated (in a gaming context) as to see so many people going "The Control bosses were babytown frolics"

I think I just adopted an early strategy of "don't stop for nothing," put all my points into health, telekinesis damage, and stamina, and nothing gave me too much trouble just by spamming the telekinesis throw at pretty much everything. It does stupidly high damage. I don't think I used the shield power at all in any of the meaningful combat scenarios. Keeping moving is really important, and throwing stuff melts down enemy health like crazy. I was kind of hoping something would nudge me into using different tactics, but I just didn't have a reason to.

I didn't ace everything first try, but I think the only boss that started to frustrate me before I finished it was the Mold. And also the first fight with Former, because I kept falling through the stupid holes in the floor. The mirror fight seemed like it was going to be really hard, but after the first phase it got considerably easier.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 26, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Woofer posted:

If TLOU2 takes too long will they also delay it to optimize it for the PS5? Or is this something they池e already doing?

I know they said the game is done and the delay is logistical but it would seem bad for sales if it came out too close to or after the PS5.

Releasing it alongside the PS5 as a cross-gen title doesn't seem like a terrible idea. It worked really well for Nintendo with Wind Waker, though the situation there was bit different, with the Wii U install base being what it was.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

The Human Crouton posted:

Uncharted 1 is a bad game.

I think I've reached the point where I think UC2 is the only good one. 4 has OK but I remember being really ready for it to be over with like half-way through. As much as I enjoyed the story and character development, I just got so sick of the paint by numbers of actually playing the game.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I wonder if Sony is still going to give out automatic rebates for TLOU2 preorders?

I would guess not, but that ends up being pretty weird messaging.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

Wait what? Why would they?

If game companies gave rebates every time there's a delay they'd all be out of business.

They announced they'd be issuing automatic refunds after the indefinite delay: https://support.playstation.com/s/?language=en_US

This situation was a bit different than most since the game was nearly out and it was suddenly pulled from the store and no future date was set.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Make-believe is fun imo

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

doingitwrong posted:

Nioh 2 is an odd duck. After a personal triumph of learning to beat the second boss which I found extremely hard to deal with, the diablo-esque loot vomit of the game and easy levelling has made this more of a power fantasy than I expected. I think I知 still having fun, but I知 yearning for the wide open lonely multipath exploration of Dark Souls, Metroid, or Zelda games.

What other games best capture the exploration part of the soulslike/metroidvania experience? It seems like most of the pretenders to the From Throne focus on the combat and boss part.

Hollow Knight is the first thing that comes to mind (and it is one of my favorite games). Though if you're a metroidvania fan you might have already played it.

Ashen is also a really cool Souls-like with some really neat dungeons, but don't go into it expecting a AAA game. It doesn't slavishly follow the Dark Souls formula.

Hyperlight Drifter is really good and borrows a bit from Zelda and Dark Souls. Very heavy on combat and exploration. I enjoyed it a lot.

RE2 remake oddly scratches the Metroidvania itch, too. It's really good if you haven't played it. RE3 remake is a little disappointing in comparison.

Immersive sims like Prey also come to mind.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

A small moment I remembered well from Prey - I was in a room that had some loot behind a large, immovable object. I was bummed because I couldn't move the object since I hadn't invested in the ability to lift heavy poo poo. I hadn't used the Recycling Charges much, but on a whim I used one to see if it'd suck up whatever was in my way so I could get the loot. To my surprise, it actually worked.

Most games want you to do things in a such a specific way with such limited verbiage, it felt really refreshing to have a game accommodate creative solutions like this.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

I'm kinda getting fed up with Bloodstained. I thought it was going to be Symphony of the Night pikr, but it's actually a Order of Eclessia but grindier. The game wants you to grind hard but it's neither interesting or rewarding. A lot of is literally constantly revisiting old areas to open respawning treasure chssts.

I loved SOTN and really liked most of the portables that followed, but I was honestly pretty lukewarm on Bloodstained. I liked the Curse of the Moon retro game they put out beforehand more. I think there have been a lot of modern takes on the metroidvania formula that are just better.

One of the things that really put me off on it was the need to farm a movement ability to progress further into the game. I just don't see how anyone involved thought that was a good design choice. It should have at least popped the first time you killed the enemy. I got stuck for a good chunk of time because of it.

The story is trash, and I didn't love the feel of combat or the look of anything. It just felt so blah to me. SOTN is a much better game, and I don't think time has been super kind to certain elements of the SOTN design, either.

I did end up finishing it. I think I would have loved it if it came out 10 years ago.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

:lol: I preordered TLOU2 a couple months back. After it got pulled from the store, Sony put out a release saying everyone would get a refund for it authomatically. Haven't got mine (or any email about it), the game has been relisted, and it's no longer in my library. Nice job all around.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Been playing through DMC5. I just finished Mission 7. I'm playing on Devin Hunter, and I can't quite shake the feeling that it's tuned a bit too easy. Nero's stuff has been OK, with a decent skill ceiling, but I've been button mashing my way to SSS combos with V without much trouble at all. I'll finish it, but thus far I'm a little disappointed after it received pretty universal acclaim.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

The DMC series is very specifically meant to be beaten once on Normal or Hard just to unlock all the moves and develop basic muscle memory, then Extra and Supah Hard modes are where you値l really see the game put the screws to ya.

Like I知 not gonna spoil anything, but you値l be unlocking new mechanics throughout your entire 1st playthrough.

Right, but it still feels like this first play-through has been quite a bit easier than the first or third games, but maybe it's just familiarity with the series helping me along.

I'm only a third of the way through though, I think, so I'll reserve judgment. I'm enjoying the mechanics and presentation enough.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Started FF7R tonight, and the first hour is certainly promising. I'm enjoying the combat more than I thought I would - lots of things to juggle and to stay mindful of. I loved original FF7 back when it first came out. I played through it a couple times, and watched my brother play through it too, so I do recall most of the plot beats. I'm excited to see where it goes.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

LMAO Roche is such a dumb, fun character. Reminds me of some of the dumb poo poo from MGS3 with the motorcycle ridiculousness.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol. the only remaster i like coming out soon far is mafia 1(havent seen enough though) and destroy all humans which had a fun e3 demo. hope they make a mass effect trillogy remaster/ resistance remasters/maybe killzone remasters but probably not that latter two.

Bluepoint's Demon's Souls remaster is gonna own

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I really wish devs would do what the Nioh devs did and just let you drop a game's resolution to whatever it takes to play it at 60FPS

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Assuming the bottleneck is the GPU though, could be the CPU.

Indeed. Anything with a heavy physics or AI simulation, or something that requires a lot of texture decompression / streaming is really hard on this generation's consoles. Just Cause 3 is never hitting 60FPS, even if you dropped the resolution to 480i.

I would think Saints 3 should be able to get to 60 with a simple resolution drop, though, particularly on the enhanced consoles. The original game ran pretty close to 30FPS on PS3 and the 360. But who knows.

BisterdDave posted:

I will gladly take 1080p or 900p for a solid 60fps. The option is honeslty such a nice inclusion that I too hope it becomes more standard in the future.

I really enjoyed playing SotC at 60FPS. It felt like a treat, considering how good it looked, and how poorly the PS2 version ran.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Genichiro is the fight that teaches you that you need to stand toe to toe with your foes and actually duel them

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Demon's Souls was my first of the series and I did like it a lot back when I first played it (though it took a few goes before I finally stuck with it and beat the 1-1 :lol:), but I revisited it fairly recently. I think it holds up pretty well next to the other games in the series (and I'll still take it over Dark Souls 2). Some of the quality of life stuff is annoying (the pointless inventory encumbrance comes to mind), but the atmosphere, feel, and world design are all really good. Losing online connectivity definitely hurts it, though. I'd really love a full PS4 SotC-style remake treatment for it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

deep dish peat moss posted:

I fully agree with your post but as a real big DS2 fan I laugh when I see this said about life gems, life gem healing in DS2 is absurdly fast. You can eat multiple gems (I think up to 3) to increase the speed, then from there each time you eat a gem it refreshes the duration and keeps the full stacks.

You can go mostly-afk standing in a poison cloud while an enemy is hitting you and never really drop below full health if you keep popping in to eat a life gem every 10 seconds, and you can hold 99 life gems and buy them for a pittance from a vendor you meet 5 minutes into the game

Life gems are the Dark Souls version of regenerating health. DS2 feels very experimental.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

blackguy32 posted:

Lifegems are no different than the healing items in Demon's Souls.

Which makes me wonder how easy Demon's Souls would be now that I have played all of the Soulsborne games.

I'm going to disagree with you there. The healing items in Demon's Souls work instantly - quickly chomping down one full moon grass after another for 600HP a pop is functionally quite a bit different than the lifegems.

And being able to keep a nearly-bottomless stock of instant healing on hand definitely makes the game easier than later entries. FROM got healing right in the original Dark Souls, imo.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 22, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

The next console gen is going to be pretty iterative, though. Same x86 CPU architecture, system on chip from the same manufacturer, etc. The biggest point of excitement is the change to solid state hard drives, imo. That and a more relative CPU power, which was oftentimes a bottleneck this gen. Games will look nicer, hopefully run better, and generally be higher resolution. More CPU power hopefully means we'll see devs shooting for more advanced AI systems and world simulations. It'd be nice if 60FPS became the standard to shoot for.

The good news is that the iterative nature should result in less time for devs to become familiar with the architecture, and ports across consoles and PC will continue to be relatively easy.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Dreamcast was cool but its controller was poo poo. It really could have used two more buttons and another joystick. Six face buttons would have been fine and put it in line with other Sega consoles if they didn't want to use four shoulder buttons. The lack of a right joystick made good camera control pretty much impossible on the system.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

The online connectivity of the Dreamcast was a little less exciting to me, as I had already wasted hundreds of hours of my youth playing Quake, Half-Life and its mods (Counter-Strike, TFC), and Total Annihilation. It was cool, but the novelty wasn't quite there.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Peacoffee posted:

Am I correct in believing that I can play Nier: Automata without playing Nier/going down the drakengard rabbit hole? Should I maybe at least watch a video? The one I checked out just started right off with spoilers for automata.

Nier most definitely isn't necessary to play before Automata, but I would recommend you check out this really good video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xx4sT6rEI

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Infinitum posted:

And Duke Nukem Forever :allears:

And squirt videosmagic videos.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I've been playing Streets of Rage 4, and it's pretty good. I decided to play through it on Hard my first playthrough, and I'm glad I did. It never got frustrating, though I did have to retry most stages at least once (with a couple that I had to retry 3-4 times). It forced me to actually learn the system and engage with the game on its terms a bit more, I think.

I did bump it down to normal just to check it out, and it seems like the only change is that you start with an additional life? IDK, if there were any other changes, they were small.

After I unlocked SoR1 Axel, I played through the game on Very Hard, and he seems completely broken. I just destroyed every stage without any retries until the late game. He is stupidly OP and easy to play.

I might go for a Mania run. Very Hard actually adds more enemies, so it feels different than the lower difficulties. Mania seems to be the same as Very Hard, but all the enemies move faster.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

univbee posted:

I've been curious for a while if it would be possible to make a rough port of FF7 onto an actual modern-ish N64 cart, like one that's got too much storage to be cost-effective at the time while still being realistic to the hardware (like 96-128 megabytes). The challenge is that all the game's assets for the PS1 version minus the cutscenes takes up 200 megs.

I think it'd be possible. Resident Evil 2's two discs were crammed into a 64MB cart, and they even left the FMV cut scenes in. It took quite a lot of compression wizardry, and the cut scenes look like poo poo, but if a competent dev team handled it, I think it'd be possible. The question is whether it'd be too ugly for the average person to want to play.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

It's been a while since I played through it, so I don't recall the answer to the final two questions.

Dialogue-tree choices do not have any major bearing on anything. Just role-play Aloy however you'd like!

HZD gets better as you reach the mid-game. The combat against the larger robots is really what sets the game apart, and it's a lot of fun.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

MZ posted:

I re-played it recently and it still holds up, one of the GOAT for sure.

I wonder if this kind of AI up-scaling tech (or equivalent) will make it to PS5?

It really is a game-changer in terms of performance, it means you don't need to render at native 4k (or even native 1080p for that matter). It saves buckets of power with almost imperceptible loss to image quality (and in some cases, it's even better than the real thing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWIKzRhYZm4&t=630s

Check out this part where they compare 540p DLSS up-scaled to 1080p vs native 1080p, it really is magic.

I am a moron who bought a 2080ti, and Control was a great showpiece for it. Maxing out the raytracing settings and turning on DLSS 2.0 makes it look so good and the performance is very good. I wish every game would use it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

When did anime change to time travel. Time travel is a stable of the sci fi genre.

Which is basically what the FF13 series is, it痴 very Sci fi

Final Fantasy has been doing time travel since the original Final Fantasy.

poo poo, FFVIII has time travel and a moon base you travel to.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I really wish we got PS3 backwards compat so I could finally put mine away. The PS5 will have enough power to brute force it, it's just a matter of putting in the work, probably on a per-game basis.

Alternatively, give me PS5 releases of Demon's Souls, MGS 2, 3 and 4, and then I can put it away regardless.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm glad their commitment to graphic violence extends to Ellie, who can take rifle shots and shrug them off as if they were mosquito bites.

It's a video game. Any injury incurred by the main character outside of a cut-scene isn't cannon.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

UC1 is worth playing just to experience how stark of an improvement UC2 is.

I thought UC1 was ok, but the combat gets so repetitive and the fights just go on and on for so long. The gameplay has never been the main draw of those games, and UC1 has the worst gameplay, least impressive set-pieces, and worst story / characterization of the series.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

RatHat posted:

After playing it at release(and when the DLC was released) I tried replaying Bloodborne about a year ago and found the frame rate unbearable. A remaster that was solid 60(or even 30) would probably get a buy from me.

I had a really hard time going back to BB after playing through Dark Souls 3 on PC. I would really love a version that ran at a solid 60.

And oddly enough, BB actually runs at a solid 30FPS the vast majority of the time. The problem with the game is that its frame pacing is a mess - rather than each frame persisting for 2 refresh cycles of a 60hz screen, some frames persist for 1 hz, some for 2 hz, and some for 3 hz, which makes it a jittery mess, despite tools indicating it's running at 30FPS.

Vikar Jerome posted:

lmao the bluepoint game is a bloodborne remaster? or are they just helping? reading conflicting poo poo, like its a mix between bluepoint and the ones who did the dark souls remaster.

Nothing is confirmed, but the tweet makes it sound like BB is coming to PS5 and PC as an up-res / 60FPS port, and Demon's Souls to PS5 as a full remake. If this is true, it'd make the most sense that Blue Point would be handling the Demon's Souls remake. The BB port would be a quicker, easier job.

But until the PS5 event happens, who knows?

EDIT: Now I'm reading conflicting stuff on twitter, so I guess we'll find out soon enough. I really hope we get a DeS remake, though - it sucks that the servers are offline, and I'd love to revisit that world.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 6, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

On the contrary, I hope they leave Character Tendency and World Tendency intact, because that poo poo was hilariously opaque, and it adds some depth for completionists. It'd be hard to cut it completely because they'd need to cut some content, as well.

I suppose they could add a mechanic like ringing the bell from Sekiro to induce world tendency, which would then unlock the various quests tied to it. The original release would occasionally do Pure White and Pure Black tendency events, which was a good way to see the content locked behind tendency without having to manipulate it in-game.

Assuming Blue Point is doing it, I doubt they'll change the mechanics. They generally try to be as true to the originals as possible in their remasters / remakes.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 6, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

RatHat posted:

If they keep World tendency I hope they swap it so that dying makes levels easier, rather than harder. The original system just punished newer players for no reason.

IDK, it only potentially made it harder if you died in human form. From a design perspective, it makes sense because you're forcing the player to make a risk / reward calculation. If you want the benefits of human form (more health, the ability to summon help), you had to accept some trade-offs (the possibility of invasions, world tendency moving towards black if you die). Plus reviving to human form generally freed up a ring slot, since most players opt to use cling ring in their first play-through.

I think the devs generally intended for players to use human form pretty sparingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Backward compatibility is kind of complex, and will likely take work on each individual game to make it work properly (think how Microsoft is handling backcompat on the Xbone). Sony still hasn't announced how it will work, but you can be almost certain that it won't be as simple as running your entire PS4 library on the PS5 out of the gate. And if they're going to port BB to PC anyway, they might as well do a full remaster with upgraded assets and the ability to run at 60FPS. BB ties a ton of gameplay-related functions to framerate, so a fairly significant amount of work would need to be done to it to make it run at 60FPS without any bugs. A patch could do this, but FROM hasn't shown any interest in patching it even for the PS4 Pro, so I can't imagine they're interested in doing the work to make it run at 60FPS on the PS5.

A remastered version that fixes the long load times, upgrades some assets, bumps up the resolution, and gets it running at 60FPS makes more sense, particularly if they are going to do the same work for PC anyway.