Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I loved BOTW. Which makes me remember that I need to go back and play the DLC that I paid for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Akuma posted:

That's only for Miles Morales, not the original game.

The only way to get the remastered version of the original game is to buy the Ultimate Edition at $70

They've also confirmed that you can buy the remastered version separately if you have Miles Morales standard edition as an add-on.

So you could buy Miles Morales on PS4, get the free PS5 upgrade, and then buy the remastered version from there.

Still not great, but also not surprising.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I forgot how great the PS2's lineup was after just 1 year in the US.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

bows1 posted:

No traveling between bonfires in DSR is brutalllll

The first two thirds of the game is structed in a way that doesn't really require fast travel. There are lots of well-placed short-cuts, and you end up learning the map really well. Fast travel would have made the game worse and rendered the well-structured game world pointless. Pushing forward and finding yourself in difficult spots without an easy way to bail is a big part of the appeal.

You can also level up and fix equipment at any bonfire, which means you don't need to go back to firelink or anywhere else to take care of that stuff.

And then you get fast travel for the final third of the game as the world expands more

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 27, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s very weird to see the “TLoU2 is a game about how violence is bad!” thing keep popping up because that is absolutely not a part of the game at all. It’s like a criticism you could develop by running a bunch of Polygon articles through an AI but it’s not based on anything the game or its themes try to convey.

There's a reason why Hotline Miami is being played by a character in game, and it isn't coincidence. It's thematic overlap. The game very much wants you to feel bad about the violent acts you are committing, think about why you're doing them, and then showing why the reasons the characters have for committing violence are flawed and bad.

The entire theme of the game is "an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind." It is very much is a game about violence and revenge being bad.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Actually it just sucks to not have fast travel. FROM learned their lesson in later games. It's not cool or innovative but rather just restrictive and annoying.

It treats fast travel as a power up, and it gives it to you right when not having it would be a big inconvenience. IDK, it worked well for me. The first part of the game was designed around not having it.

Fix posted:

What happens when you're bad at the game? Do they reward you?

Nah, it's a Naughty Dog game, so it doesn't do anything diegetically interesting at all, nor does it give the player any meaningful choices. It's essentially an interactive movie. The moment you veer off its preset path, it fades to black and sticks you back at a checkpoint.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 27, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I finished Death Stranding last night. I'm not sure if I actually enjoyed playing it or not. The loop certainly hooked me, but I can't tell if my OCD took over or I actually enjoyed 5 starring all of the delivery locations.

I enjoyed the story, but the writing wasn't that great. Kojima could definitely use an editor or Co-writer. He clearly doesn't trust his audience to pick up on everything so a lot of it is repetitive, but then a lot of really import points are locked behind interviews that only unlock when you complete certain standard orders. I just found out about some pretty important backstory by reading the wiki because I didn't unlock the interviews in my 75 hour playthrough. More automated bots and the ability to deploy them from anywhere would have helped a lot of this was the system they were going to use.

I appreciate that it tried some new things, but the general structure was really reminiscent of Peace Walker and Phantom Pain. The combat was boring despite some of the encounters being visually impressive.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 18, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Oscar Wild posted:

Have you ever been back country hiking? Like real multi-day out in the woods? Because that is pretty darn close to the path finding you have to do in death stranding. Get up to a ridgeline to see where you're going, the pick a path that gets you to the next ridge as easily as possible. The map even shows you which ways are best if you look for identifying terrain like talus rock. I guess I really like death stranding.

This is a good comparison that I hadn't thought of. There are elements for Death Stranding that remind me a lot of back country snowboarding. You use your GPS / topo map, combined with what you can see from vantages points, to slowly pick your way to the top of the mountain as safely as possible.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

Can someone please spoiler the important backstory in death stranding? I beat it at 40h and can't imagine something plot significant that was only revealed at 70h+

Lucy, Sam's wife, committed suicide because the baby she was carrying had DOOMS passed on to her by Sam. This, in turn, caused Lucy to experience DOOMS as well, which made her suicidal. She killed herself while Sam was on a delivery, and went necro. This caused a massive voidout in the city, with Sam as the only survivor due to him being a repatriate. This sets the stage for the Sam we see in game - he is numb and overcome with guilt, and ready to die.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Oct 18, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Akuma posted:

Well...

His ego definitely makes him imply that he's responsible for all the writing in his games but I don't think any of them have actually ever been solo efforts.

Oh, I was being figurative - I meant he could use more competent co-writers and editors that he actually listens to. MGS's writing went downhill after he split with Tomokazu Fukushima. MGS4 was a fan-service wank-fest and MGSV was a low point in the series's narrative design.

Death Stranding is better than MGS5 but it struggles with pacing and redundancy. At least it's revelations actually feel foreshadowed and earned to some extent.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Oh look, another sad dad story. :rolleyes:

Yeah, it isn't original but at least it provides context that's important to the character. I will say that DS's main plot points and themes are not about being a sad dad, but it is indeed a game filled with sad dads and sad moms.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Is this the first time a game that's already gone gold has been delayed? I have a PC pre-order already, but I kind of want to get my hands on a PS4 disc just to see how busted it is without the day 1 patch. This game is coming in hot :lol:

If the reason they cited is correct, I wonder if this would have gone differently if they didn't have to worry about forward compatibility with the new consoles.

I honestly don't mind the delay. It'll give me a few extra weeks to finish the Demon's Souls remake and RDR2 :) Three weeks is a pretty modest delay.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 27, 2020

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

There are printed discs at this point, yes? I wonder when it's going to leak.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

The game went gold weeks ago. It's already passed certification. This is to continue working on a monster Day 1 patch, and I would think that they are all hands on deck to get this thing out the door.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Doom 2016 was in development hell and it ended up great. It really just depends on the game. CDPR's games tend to be pretty big and ambitious. Witcher 3 was also repeatedly delayed and it's a classic. So I would say wait and see. The game is content complete and the rest is optimization and bug fixing for now.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Simone Magus posted:

It's just dumb that they didn't say "we won't have a release date until it's done" a long time ago instead of this protracted nipple twisting they're doing

Without a release date they can't ramp up the hype machine. I agree release dates are dumb, but there's a reason why they exist in this industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

its not content complete, they recently talked about a number of gameplay features they had to cut that where they going on about a few years ago, such now theres only one home that you cant customize, you cant customize cars anymore, no more wall running.

Every game has cut content. It's content complete in that the game has all the content in it that it's going to have at release, and they have moved on to QA.