Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I didn't know anything about Detroit Become Human until today. Is it a choose your own adventure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just got into PS4 recently and am getting caught up. Too many good games this generation, and am glad for the backlash against multiplayer-only-microtransactions-everywhere game model.

Just saw the trailers for Days Gone and just realized that I would be okay if Sony did nothing but “single-player-semi-open-world-in _______ setting” from now on.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Foxhound posted:

God of War endgame spoilers :siren:

Approximately how far do I have to progress in Niflheim to find the Valkyrie? I don't really care about completing the place but wanna see the conclusion of the Valk quest but not gonna bother if it's 1hr+ of Niflheim bullshit.

It’s only a couple minutes mapwise (it’s the detour to left field between second and third base in Ivaldi’s map) but you gotta get buffed up for an hour or two in order to be able to survive the fog long enough

Balls are fun

Edit: Valks

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sony’s lineup for the next two years looks like nonstop homeruns, I hope they hold off on the ps5 for a couple years to keep this streak going

Honestly I think we’ve gotten to the point where the hatdware’s good enough to visualize anything a developer can imagine. In any game now I can see a mountain from a mile away and every blade of grass in between and run to the same mountain for five minutes.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 12, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Was the PS3 long? Wikipedia says the ps2 came out 2000, the PS3 2006 and the ps4 2013, so the ps2 was 6 years and the PS3 7 years

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 12, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah the economy was the major force driving the length of the gen. 08-10 no wide market for a 400 dollar console existed

ps4 launched in 2013 8 years after ps3 launched

November 2006 to November 2013 is 7 years

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I know this is coming out of nowhere, but... I'm blown away by how many good games there are for the PS4 and how many are in the pipeline.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Quiet is awesome if you never see her.

Just a green laser beam coming from a bush on top of a mountain that headshots anyone who sees you, bounces your thrown grenades into the flight paths of helicopters, and replies to you with static.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Getting caught up on PS4 games. Nier Automata seems to have good reviews.

Should I play the previous game, Nier, or the Drakengard games to appreciate it more?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Oh no I lost all my saved games, guess I have to play these awesome A+ Sony exclusive games all over again

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ok ten hours into God of War it gave me the equivalent of those puzzle hints discussed earlier in the thread, "Press L1 to block and press x to dodge" gently caress this game

They should’ve had Atreus say it out loud so it doesn’t break your immersion

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Renoistic posted:

Except for the tutorial the game doesn't do that unless you're actively getting hit over and over without trying to dodge or block. There are hints for some QTE segments but I think you can turn those off.

I know I’m just messing around, it’s sillier to have Atreus say “press L1, dad!”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
They do a pretty good job with nudging you along through dialogue, especially when Atreus calls out stuff because it seems in character for an inquisitive ten year old boy. Certainly better than having your character mutter to themselves all the time, stuff like “I guess I should check out what’s behind that door”

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Freya, I think my boy is sick. He keeps telling me to press my buttons while we’re in the middle of fighting trolls. But I am not wearing any buttons.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Spite posted:

The longer you go the more you get per treasure box. You can get 10k+ per run.

Which means you need to first get all the stuff that lets you live more than ten seconds in the mist

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What's the first big console game that kicked off the trend of microtransactions

Or the recent multiplayer only trend

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

SettingSun posted:

If I were to guess, Team Fortress 2 and its hats.

Okay, next question: what's the first major console game where microtransactions affected gameplay

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If I get the PS3 version of GTAV will I feel like I'm missing out on anything or is the PS4 version that much better

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

Unless it's a money thing, I'm trying to figure out why you'd even be considering going for the PS3 version? And yes the PS4 version is substantially better.

I have two TVs and one has a PS4 and the other a PS3. I also have a roommate who likes to play games. Although I could kick him off whenever I want, I don’t want to hog up the PS4 too much and figured I could use The time you get caught up on some old PS3 games that I missed. If the PS4 version is that much better, I’m sure there are plenty of other PS3 games that I can pick up instead

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Big Bidness posted:

I’m finally playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, and holy poo poo I can’t believe how bad the writing is. The bad guys are straight out of a direct to video 90s action movie, without any of the fun.

Between the lousy characters and lack of narrative momentum, I don’t think I’ll be able to finish it. The bow is still fun and I like the tombs, but they really beefed it on this one. And I really liked TR 2013.

Is the gameplay better than the first one?

Can you not skip the cutscenes? I like the story in HZD but I can't stand the talking heads presentation of 90% of the dialogue so I'm skipping almost every cutscene as it cuts into my shooting robot tigers time

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

my suggestion with HZD is to blitz the story because the first third of the game is kinda generic YA and then it transitions to wtf scifi at some point and gets real good

The back story is definitely more interesting than the present day stories.

Edit: But who cares, hunting robot dinosaurs with a bow and arrow

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 22, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Side quests still good for getting experience/money/stuff so still do those but skip all the cutscenes

And don't just save them for the end, sometimes you get stuff from side quests that might be helpful, but only if you're doing the side quests early on when you're not totally overpowered yet. Just hop back and forth between side quests and main quest according to the level suggestions in the quest descriptions

There's an interesting world in the modern day, there's a lot of subtext about religion, patriarchy vs matriarchy, discrimination based on tribe rather than race, etc etc etc, but it's just the presentation of boring talking heads 90% of the time is so bad.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 22, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Renoistic posted:

I guess that's a topic of conversation. Have you ever had a really hard time getting into a game until something just clicked?

God of War is extremely frustrating if you're not used to the concept of timing-dependent parrying and dodging. That was a rough first few days.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I loved HZD but one of the best parts of the game was crafting everything and realizing I never had to hunt a turkey or a rat ever again

It's very important that you get a rat skin for this bomb pouch, racoon skin just doesn't hold bombs as well

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hmm these cool videos are possible because it’s on Vive and they can record the player and green screen them into cool backgrounds. I wonder how it will be on PSVR

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I dunno about you guys but once I hear that a game franchise is switching developers I lose all interest. No more Bungie on Halo? I’m out! Epic isn’t doing the next Gears? It’s over!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Attitude Indicator posted:

Gotcha.
Still doesn't seem like a good idea. If you limit the audience for the console, that will limit the audience for the games made, which will limit games made, which will limit profits, which will turn you into microsoft.

The calculations they have to do are whether the loss of that audience will be greater than the potentially tripled margin.

But there's also the possibility that stores will revolt and refuse to carry your hardware if you try to cut them out of the software gravy train.

The ideal situation might be to offer both physical copies and downloadables for whoever wants them. But even then stores might revolt over it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Review embargo on Detroit is a day before release. Is that concerning at all, or is that normal?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Regarding Andromeda’s acting animations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qvvmVpS3AA

I always suspected reasons why some video games had better cinematic dialogue scenes than others, but this video showed me a lot more was going on than I could have guessed.

Also I guess I should pick up Witcher 3 while I’m getting on my PS4 catch up tour

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The true Galaxy brain option is buying Mass Effect Andromeda for the homeless person

“No thanks, I got laid off from Bioware Montreal“

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If I want to dip my toes into Yakuza, should I try zero, Kiwami or 6 first.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Infinitum posted:

Zero.

It's set before everything.
Kiwami is a remake of the 1st game.

Yeah but isn’t that like watching phantom menace before Star Wars

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Detroit reviews are out, looks solid

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/detroit-become-human

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I'm probably not going to get Detroit, but I appreciate Quantic's existence just because they're exploring an under-explored category of storytelling. Even the mistakes are useful information for posterity.

edit: VVVV If you're referring to me, I'm talking about the branching storyline business

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 24, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Bombadilillo posted:

Choose your own adventure books have a rich and storied tradition of elementary school bookfairs thank you.

I know, but nobody ever got to tell the authors that they sucked at writing, and as a result CYOA never improved as far as I remember. Quantic at the very least took complaints about previous games having tonal whiplash seriously and reviews for Detroit seem to say that aspect of their writing has gotten better. And I guess they hired more writers to keep David Cage in check.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Shadow225 posted:

I am hopefully trying VR for the first time tomorrow. What kind of cool VR stuff is in the pipeline?

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/03/guide_upcoming_psvr_games_in_2018

Mainly Zone of Enders 2

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
CYOA feels like it would lend itself pretty well to (intentional) comedy.

There's something absurd about seeing a person die different ways in multiple alternate realities. I dunno if anyone saw the Time Machine remake with Guy Pierce, but he keeps going back in time to save his fiancee from getting killed but she keeps dying in different ways no matter what he does, and after the third time the audience bust out laughing.

Someone make a meta-CYOA where the protagonist jumps Rick-And-Morty style from one timeline to another when they realize they screwed up their current timeline. And maybe jump from one genre into another as if they were jumping between CYOA books.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

Was that the one where he just tosses her in the time machine, goes to the present, and she gets run over by a taxi? And later he goes to the future and sees the moon explode?

That's the one.

There's something about multiple timelines when you go above having two timelines which inherently dulls seriousness and deflates urgency.

Groundhog Day capitalized on it and it was great. And even played with the notion of having too many timelines can get boring.

Edge of Tomorrow very smartly played up the comedy when it got into the third and later replays, and then got rid of the time travel mechanic when it was time to get serious. Having only one chance to make a timeline work out right raises the stakes.

When Dr Strange says that out of 14 million possible futures, only one works out for the good guys, it's serious. If we got to see a montage of the Avengers dying 14 million ways, it would have been comedy.

Hire me as your comedy game designer, Quantic Dreams! I yelled from my mom's basement, as Detroit Become Human gets an 8.0 Metacritic score and ships millions of preorders

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 24, 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I got spoiled before I saw the movie and arguably that might be a better experience than going in blind because I was already tearing up in the first five minutes as if I was watching Up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Are there good PSVR games that involve walking? I kinda assumed that because it doesn’t track your position in a room that it would be more inclined towards games where you’re in a cockpit or rail shooters or otherwise sitting down