Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Morpheus posted:

I don't think there's ever been a console reveal that people have been happy with the design of, and every time it never matters anyway. I remember people getting huffy about the 'plain black rhombus' of the ps4, the 'george forman grill' ps3, etc.

It's a dumb ritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I actually like the design of the PS4 quite a bit and didn't think the PS2 / 3 were bad either. This one just looks pretty goofy and it's gonna look really jarringly conspicuous next to anything else entertainment-related that I own but yeah at the end of the day it's not really a big deal.

It's not the design I would have chosen but I don't care enough since it's not about looking at it, but looking at the games.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

If it doesn't support Toshinden or however that was spelled from the PS1 I'm out.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

We Got Us A Bread posted:

I did like the teases, though. "It's going to look like a big ps4! It's going to look like that render that's been floating around the internet forever, you know, the one with the weird "V" in the middle! Nope, it looks like a weird flower vase thing!"

I do like the way it looks, but eyeing my tv stand, i'm gonna have to buy a new one to have somewhere to put it.

Well it is kind V shaped :haw:. Maybe I can put it behind my TV.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Fuuuuuuuu

I'm not opposed to getting a PS5 but I remember the lengths I had to go to get a PS4 within 6 months of release and I know the PS5 is just going to be worse, especially with advances of reseller bots that will be scraping preorders the second a loving page is up.

I wonder what your complications were. I simply preordered it from Amazon.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Shammypants posted:

So if you need help on Best Buy, add the preorder to the cart and you'll likely get failure messages and no access to the cart. Google "best buy cart" or go to https://www.bestbuy.com/cart to see if it was successfully added and checkout.

"Sorry, we're having a system issue, but it should only be temporary.
Please wait a little while before trying again."

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Shammypants posted:

Yes but after about 200 tries it worked for me ><

Yeah, I'm seeing the cart now, now checkout isn't happening. I somehow have one of each versions in the cart but drat if I remove one and upset the cart.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

DC Murderverse posted:

After an hour of clicking i got to the payment page for Best Buy and then it auto-refreshed and now I’m back at square one, but now with a heart filled with hate and betrayal.

Say what you will about Amazon, but their website isn't immediately hosed whenever something popular has preorders going live.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Oh gently caress, my Gamestop order went through. Guess I'll cancel it if I can get it from Amazon.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Got the confirmation email from Gamestop. It's on. Somehow I think Xbox One X will be much easier next week.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Best Buy "attempting to sign you in". e: nvm

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

I assume it's the same as any other server management economic calculation: do you really want to have enough server capacity to support the busiest day (or hour or minute) of a period of months or years, when it's 100,000 times the capacity you need for the whole rest of that time? Most organizations would say no.

That's really smart and all, but I was under the impression that nowadays these things can be scaled up automatically based on need. I doubt a company like Best Buy needs to have its own datacenter with 5 Pentium IIIs running Windows XP on them. I'm afraid that's what they're doing though...

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Checkout still hosed.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

CaptainCrunch posted:

20 min hitting the purchase button then the page blanks out and dumps me back to the main BB page

I'm on the payment page. Every 20-30 or so I get the text message that welcomes me to their text updates, so it's failing at different steps, great.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

So yeah, Best Buy finally worked. Now to cancel GameStop :). Thanks to all of you for keeping me informed.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Also as is tradition, no sales. Has anyone ever bought new consoles from eBay for these prices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Yeah but those are along the lines of double the price or less, which I can kinda understand, but not $5000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111oneoneone.