Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

Ya know. i'm going to have to agree. I really enjoyed that games story and ending and I don't get why it gets dogpiled on all of the time.

No, I mean I do have problems with the game and ending in general, but the presentation, voicework, and music are fantastic in the final minutes...and I'd say it's generally worth the slog. I dunno, I just bounced hard off the entire Bioshock series but I respect its ambition.

As for MGS3, I was a lot younger so some of the drama wouldn't play so easily on me today (I think I was able to overlook the cheesier parts of the game because most videogame stories couldn't be taken seriously back then), but that was the first game ending that really pulled on my heartstrings. The Boss was such a great character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TG-Chrono posted:

Uncharted 4 is overrated

A little bit, but I suppose you could say The Last of Us casts a long loving shadow.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

Its the only one I haven't played multiple times, so for me it wasn't all that great. I guess I am just tired of putting up with Nate's wishy washy bullshit.

Yeah, I'd have to say that's why I rank it lower, the general replayability just isn't there. Too many slow scenes to get through between each action beat.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah. That was the only thing I looked up online. You have to go to the far corner AND call Trico to come towards you. Just swimming over there does nothing.

Haha, yeah, that took me a few. Her tail glitched out and got caught on scenery.

The other one I got caught on was where Trico claws at a switchbox and the solution is to use a specific voice command to encourage her to claw at the switchbox harder.

Game was amazing though. Every time that Trico swooped in to kill statue dudes and that awesome music played :allears:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

qbert posted:

Edit: gently caress Defiled Amygdala.

Sorry, mang :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Double-posting that The Last Guardian is a total masterpiece. I think it's the best game released in 2016, a year crowded with good titles. It's a longer story and a bigger world than I anticipated, and just such an incredibly complete experience. The ending totally floored me, and as far as narratives go it's Ueda's finest, most ambitious story. It ended in a way that was totally unexpected for me, in a way that fully capped the story but still left me wondering about the world and its characters and mythologies. I'm really glad the devs chose to limit the amount of footage that got out, because it's a blast being surprised like this, and being shown something both totally new and yet still completely compatible with the overarching world and themes of Ico and SotC.

Goddamn, what a loving ride!

Worth :20bux:+:20bux:+:20bux:

edit, also glad I didn't plow through it in one day. Like sotc I sort of spread it out over the course of a week.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 9, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

1redflag posted:

As someone who loved SSX3 and really liked the new SSX (2012?) and other entries in the series, is STEEP any good?

Easy Allies did a good review of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDKD7ta-NXo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Walrus posted:

I really worry that making trico use the medallion is bad for him, or hurts him, or makes him scared :(

edit: weird to hear about it being better to play in pieces though. some of my fondest gaming memories are doing ico and sotc in one or two sittings with my old best buddy as a kid

I played all three ueda games in pieces, they almost sink in better that way. I couldn't imagine blasting through 16 colossi in a day, I want something to look forward to!

Oxxidation posted:

Unfortunately the big guy doesn't have the right kind of mouth for that, he'll always just knock your rear end over with his snout by accident if you hold onto the barrel long enough to make him go for it. You can toss them to him and he'll crunch them right out of the air, though.

I got him to eat the barrel out of my hands, but I never successfully landed a toss.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My voice problem with Geralt is that first time I played it, I thought he sounded (to me) really like the titular character from Xavier: Renegade Angel, a weird CGI show that was on Adult Swim years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rwPPrxjqKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye_iob2MwGw

rabidsquid posted:

i very much love the last of us remastered, but it's starts sorta slow and i have to warn you that the shooting feels kind of bad until you can upgrade it the first time. also the game tries to trick you into thinking bricks are for throwing at people but its a supremely powerful melee weapon and you can use them to kill clickers. always be brickin'

i think you will like it and hope you enjoy it, maybe we can do some multiplayer if its not dead and you're down. provided i am not confused and you're big boswell that i used to play league with.

TLoU multi will never die.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Renoistic posted:

Does Last Guardian measure up to Ico and SotC? I loved the earlier games but I'm a but wary of LG what with the troubled development.

Better than Ico, on par with SotC. Best ending of the three. It's an incredible game.

ethanol posted:

There should be a disclaimer on tlg that it rouses up any living room dogs

I was watching some E3 stream and the TLG trailer came up and right on time the dude's dog started barking. It was awesome.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I still can't believe it even came out. I dunno how they were getting it running at ANY FPS on the PS3, let alone the reported 8fps some people in here mentioned.

What was the Two Best Friends quote..? "Every one of those feathers is a dead PS3"

AngelesXO posted:

Echoing all the responses here, it's a great game in the vein of the those two. Only minus is the framerate drops on the standard ps4.

I actually started playing the team ico collection again after finishing LG. SotC camera actually made me appreciate LG's camera, which is saying a lot.

Well, the both have a very handy "look at the colossus" button that really helps, but the button isn't even listed in the TLG controls menu.

Shadow225 posted:

lol at calling Overwatch bad and implying CoD is good in the same breath. Yo brain broke

In any world where Titanfall 2 exists, Overwatch is like the dogshit stuck to the foot of a giant robert.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

What PSN sale? Are you not in the US? I got all excited for a minute but I'm seeing $60.

I'm kind of pissed that reviews pegged TLG at around 8 hours and now I'm hearing 15 from people. I'd have been more inclined to buy it earlier if I knew that. I think I'm just going to stop reading reviews because they are mostly out of touch with people who are actually buying games for fun. Either way I'm tired of waiting I'm just gonna grab it tomorrow.

It's 8 if your goal is to finish the game.

It's 15 if your goal is to play and enjoy and be immersed in the game, and, I mean...it was made to be looked at and contemplated. But a lot of early reviewers are in a rush to say they played it, etc, etc...which sounds really unsatisfying, and would probably make a game about communication/miscommunication feel equally unsatisfying. The overall quality of puzzles in TLG is incredible, but a few of them stumped me real hard and I had to come back later. If you were on a review deadline my guess is you would just ask a friend or look the solution up in order to get on with the game, but in a puzzle game that sort of defeats the purpose.

Easy Allies has the best review, and not just because they gave it goty, but because they talk about at length and yet give very little away. (still, purists will want to avoid watching)

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 13, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

89 posted:

Is there only 3 Attrition maps on Titanfall 2? Cause it sure feels like it sometimes.

I feel like the game spams Forward Base Kodai and Eden and Exoplanet, which is why they are my least favorite.

Drydock, Homestead, Boomtown, Crash Site, and Blackwater Canal are my poo poo. Especially Boomtown.

I don't feel either way about Angel City, Complex, etc..

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I feel like even 20 years from now people will still play and be nostalgic for NES/SNES games. Those games were stupid hard and unfun, it's just the only options we had at the time.

Mario 3 is somehow still better than the majority of games released today.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Good to know they liked it, their reviews generally align with my feelings. Though I think it's going to be a pretty divisive game, all in all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

mrbass21 posted:

Maybe I have no soul, but I'm not enjoying The Last Guardian.

Every time I start to get into it, the camera and controls immediately pull me out of it. I get bored of it after playing about 20 minutes and don't care to play anymore.

Everyone has talked about how amazing the game is, so I'm going to finish it. I'm never thinking "man, I want to play TLG!" I usually have to force myself to slog through it.

I know I don't have to, but I want to see this ending everyone is talking about. Plus, I keep convincing myself that it gets better, or that I'm one play session from seeing what everyone raves about.

It might not be for you, I mean don't sweat it.

Just about everyone loved Witcher 3 and all I can do is respect it from afar...since I hate almost every design decision in that game. Still, not every game is for every person.

If it's something you really WANT to like then I might suggest:

- play in a less goal-oriented mood (it's a game about a relationship so start fostering that relationship)
- don't fight the camera, it has a will of its own just like Trico, but be sure to use the L1 button a lot
- play in 2 hour sessions. TLG's a fairly long game with a lot of mentally taxing puzzles, don't wear yourself out in one session
- don't cheat, and try to resist looking up solutions. quit for a while and come back after you've thought about it.
- stop and smell the roses once in a while

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I intend to try it after it drops way down in price and hopefully gets a patch or seven.

Your loss.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

KrayG posted:

Stockholm syndrome is an awful thing to go through.

It's an amazing game tho? :shrug:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Seedge posted:

How, precisely, do you expect them to sell something without putting it on display?

What the gently caress are you even talking about, mate?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kortel posted:

Gamestop doesn't want to spend the extra $.14 per SKU to create displays. Why do that when you have a perfectly good box right there? Also so employees can play new releases when they come out via the checkout system. Easier o speak about product when you've played it.

Yeah, I'm aware of all that. And it's been noted time and time again as a lovely business practice.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Nothing like buying a brand new game that an employee has opened and played for a week.

I mean, it's more just the audacity of a huge company not conceding to even discount the price of an opened "new" game by 5 loving dollars...but also not giving the customer actual new game return privileges, because it's unsealed in the first place.

I bought an unsealed $60 "new" game from them one time and came back half an hour later because I'd changed my mind and the clerk told me that the return policy on opened games was $40 trade credit.

That company can eat a :dong:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

they have special stickers they are supposed to reseal it with. they stickers ruin the case if you remove them because they leave so much residue lol but that's what they use to make returns possible

This was in 2010 so I can't remember if it had that, maybe it did and I didn't realize, but I haven't shopped there since so...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aloofa posted:

I feel like you have some buyers remorse and you want others to suffer for spending $60 on a game that most people will only play once. I liked this game a lot but my red box rental was all I needed. For reference, I played Shadow of the Colossus back to back to back. The game isn't as frustrating as some would lead you to believe but going through the game a second time would take just as long in my opinion, and that second time would be very boring. Most of the game is spent waiting for Trico to jump up onto platforms. There is nothing to speed up the process.

You're being ridiculous.

The game is just amazing and the experience is well worth $60, hell I feel Sony deserves some credit for seeing the development through and demonstrating that this medium isn't entirely based around trying to generate a quick buck through microtransactions. TLG is way way way up there in the very small list of games that has an ending worth working toward and experiencing, and one of maybe four games I've played in the last 25 years that has made me tear up.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

For me there's gotta be some compromise because I NEED to know that a command I entered actually registered. For games or any other kind of software, that's just something that if I don't have it I'll go nuts.

Granted I haven't played the game but from reviews it sounds like there's not.

If you bark a command at Trico he barks back in a very recognizable way, same as if you were talking to your own cat while gesturing at the food bowl and it meowed back at you in response.

If you bark too many orders at Trico at the same time he looks at you like you're crazy.

It's absolutely brilliant.

I said come in! posted:

I've been watching someone play the Last Guardian all day on Twitch, and they've had zero issues with Trico, making me think the complaints are coming from complete retards. This is making me want to buy the game now because i've been basing judgment on people who don't pay attention and assuming the game just had weird rear end mechanics.

This is basically what the uphill struggle has been on these boards, trying to convince the average cynical wait-and-see goon that the game is good, because the first impressions that everyone got from lighting fast review deadlines were from absolute idiots that either had no patience, no attention span, or didn't understand the point of the game in the slightest.

veni veni veni posted:

It might actually drive you nuts anyways , but it's not quite what you are thinking. Its not like you are generally left wondering if something has registered. It's more like, trico needs to go some place and part of the game is coaxing him to do it, but it's sometimes not as easy as aiming in the direction you want him to go.

The best way I could describe it is that sometimes Trico can be confused, but I haven't felt like the game itself is confused. It's not like something is failing to register on a technical level IMO.

I think this is a good way to put it, and is accurate for almost the entire game, granted a few hiccups.

The whole point is that they can't really ever cross the language barrier, but the friendship persists and deepens in spite of that, and both the trico and the boy develop a sense for how to motivate each other that's tied to things like hunger, pain, exhaustion, excitement, desire for fresh air, fear, and hesitance.

Really there's never been anything like this game, I mean the bug testing, pathfinding, quality assurance, and difficulty balance for this project must have been unbelievably taxing for such a small team.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Allright I'm stuck on what I'm pretty sure is the infamous water part in TLG. I feel like I did it half right because I got trico to smash part of the floor out but I can't get him to actually get me out of here. Help?

Push the box to the corner where there's an opening, his tail should drop down if he's not too confused.

It bugged out for me on the first try.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

HZD looks good, but I do agree that it gets crowded out by other things I'm exited about in this quarter...namely Nioh.

Props to Sony for starting to churn out the exclusives and new IPs tho. The PS4/XB1/Switch era is looking more and more like the PS1/Saturn/N64 era, with almost all the good poo poo on one console.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

All of those consoles had good games on though so none of them are the Bone.

:drat: :xbone:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

they want you to be as far in the corner as you can get because he is going to drop a chunk of ceiling and won't do it if you would get hit but you have no way of knowing this will happen so you stand under him yelling for a half hour and then go look it up online.

Don't look poo poo up online for TLG. Just take a break.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Renoistic posted:

Playing Last Guardian. I threw some food at Trico but he missed and the food fell to the bottom floor 20 feet below. Now it's looking at me like it expects me to get another one and I feel bad :(

Congrats, goon, you're now a parent!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Feenix posted:

Man driving games used to DEFINE consoles. Now they are barely even around. It's kinda sad.

I miss car combat. :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

SLOSifl posted:

For me, MGSV is exactly like FFXV. I could list out complaints all day but instead spend all day playing the game. I really like MGSV and the ending was just a weird scene in an open world murder sim, or some incomprehensible movie between "overlevelled deathboyzz adventures" in FF.

Except FFXV is charming, beautiful, and likable where MGS5 is dismal, gross, and creepy.

MGS5 is a dogshit mgs game with a smooth framerate. The horse-armor is pretty cool tho :coolfish:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hello, Chicken. Your name will be "Nugget."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

MGSV lets you run around in a mech strapping animals to balloons to make fat $$ while "she blinded me with science" blares from Snake's cassette player. what more could you want?

A game with a story that isn't hot turds?

A game with a fast travel system that isn't hot turds?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Electromax posted:

This is the Metal Gear series, if you're still on board with V this can't be too much of a concern.

I didn't like IV much either, but at least it went all-out with its psycho bullshit and remains somewhat memorable and consistent with the series gameplay. The marketing of V's story and overall package was dubious at best, especially with regard to the way Konami basically purchased good reviews en masse. So, disagree.

Never have I played a more padded-out game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO4Tusk_V2k

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Uncharted 4 looks really, really pretty.

That and you can play Crash Bandicoot. Those remakes are my most-anticipated exclusive after Knack 2

I love how there is a weird sidepath dialog event for this purposeless room in UC4.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I can see liking UC1 over 4 as that is before the story goes so far up it's rear end that it forgets its supposed to be a game.

It's not even that great a story.

I think they're about equal. There was a charm to UC1 before 2 made the series so over the top that bigger setpieces were the main draw.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Playing MGS for the story is like driving a car for the crashes.

As far as games are concerned I only drive cars for the crashes, natch

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

the greatest game of all time...incredible

I don't even think Mario 64 is in competition for best Mario game...much less best game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kirios posted:

Super Mario 64 blew my god drat mind at 10 years old in a way a video game never will ever again. It is amazing how well they made the transition from 2D to 3D, effectively creating an open world Mario game.

Well I was 14 and all I saw was endless fog and 2D trees that rotated with the camera. :colbert:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Motto posted:

I played it a bunch as a kid but World is kinda bland.

It's nice to have a save feature, but it really feels like a step down from SMB3 in a lot of ways. By no means a bad game.

rabidsquid posted:

does yoshis island count as a mario game because that one was fuckin dope

Yes.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 19, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Here is a list of Mario games that are better than Mario 64.

SMB
SMB2
SMB3
SMW
SMAS
SMW2
PM
SPM
SMG
SMG2
NSMBw
NSMBu
SM3DW
SMM

and now super mario odyssey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kirios posted:

Here's another hot take for you gents, other than Mario 64 being the best.

Super Mario Bros. 3 is better than World.

I thought this was universally acknowledged. :shrug:

edit; The only platformers I can think of that are as fun to play as Mario 3 are Rayman Origins and Klonoa 2.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 19, 2017