Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

bloodychill posted:

There were earlier silly arguments about Uncharted 4 being bad. I just finished it last week after playing the first 3 for the first time last year and I'm declaring those opinions are wrong.

1 is rough but a solid first entry. Well-paced, but the combat scenarios are eh and the movement is janky.

2 is well-paced and made all the characters more interesting and introduced Chloe and and had much better combat scenarios and felt like a great Indiana Jones-esque adventure.

3 starts off super solid and ends super solid but has the worst pacing in the series by far. There are some good combat scenarios though.

4 has the best climbing by far, is a great send-off to the characters, offers solid stealth options, and has the gameplay and visuals just nailed. A bad idea to play it if you haven't played the other games though.

3 has worse pacing than 4?

Dunno about that. Not saying 4 is bad, but it is the only entry in the series I didn't replay multiple times, mostly due to dull pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Playstation 4: Super Mario Bros 3 / I guess you had to be there

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

What ps1 games are better than Mario 64, pray tell

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is approx. 78 times better than Mario 64.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

what is your favorite console and why is it the gizmondo

A mysterious machine has appeared in homes across America

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 19, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Flumpus posted:

Man, I remember when my brother and I got a 32x... we were so excited for Virtua Fighter (which, to its credit, was a better version of that game than it had any right to be). We must have watched this video a hundred times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoQK3K1Nrq4

Real talk this video is awesome

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Takoluka posted:

This needs to show up as either a PS2 Classic on PS3 or a PS2-on-PS4 title, because I need this again.

Seriously, it must be a rights issue, because no game that good should be that rare.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I think it's more because various Klonoa games were released on a few systems throughout the early 00s and no one bought them. :(

Yes, but, K1 has usually been available as a PS1 classic.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, honestly, I don't get it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FishBulb posted:

It looks like anime so I mean

What do you mean "you people"?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

What's with these guys

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

KrayG posted:

Its not going to sell well and will be half price in 6 weeks much like the The Last Guardian.

These game developers must be rubbing their hands together when these desperate video game fans fans pay full for tepid, mediocre experiences.

The Last Guardian, the best game released last year, which is currently $60 new and $45 used.

So, you goddamned dildo, what's your point? :flaccid:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

KrayG posted:

£25 new right now, £17 used, £45 quid when it first came out and a floating turd even if it was free

My point is its a janky, unfinished mess of a game which was released out of obligation rather than nessecity. Its good you convinced yourself to enjoy it it but I'm not surprised because in my experience everyone who was talking positively about TLG for the years previous had already convinced themselves it was going to be revelatory experience and were too emotionally invested to be reasoned with.

People who had little knowledge and first experienced it after release came out with the more reasonable view that it's a technically incompotent and poorly executed game. The people saying it's the best game of 2016 are the best though, you can tell they are suffering from some kind of entertainment related anaphylactic shock. It's nothing new though, its probably mostly the same people that drummed up Ico and Shadow of the Colossus to be some of the greatest gaming experiences around when in reality they were just ok.

Congratulations, you are the biggest loser.

:gary:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

I can't believe Gravity Rush 2 prompted a man to lose his mind

:same:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

KrayG posted:

Well you see its just I watched Dragonball Z when I was pre-teen and I just presumed it was a phase that people grew out of like cartoons or professional wrestling or eating chicken nuggets and yeah, actual adults shouldn't be behaving like this unless they've had some kind of parent issue or suffered abuse or something.

MODS??!!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 19, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Who remembers Vigilante 8 on PS1? That game was dopeee

Game had crazy slowdown but the physics engine was awesome. Cattle Prodding fuckers into the air and through a building was legendary.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Is Twisted Metal not a thing anymore? Or hasn't been, rather

Sony didn't promote the one on PS3 and it died, just like Starhawk.

I really miss car combat :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

No.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

My car combat game of choice was Rogue Trip. Thinking back on it, I think it was the first game I ever saw advertise itself based on having a band onboard.

Rogue Trip was cool and I played it for a while, but it really did feel like a Twisted Metal also-ran. By the time TM Black was out there was no reason to go back. Some cool level design in RT though.

Still, Vigilante 8 had the best physics. It's like a Havok ragdoll engine...but for cars

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i watch only this anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMSx1KU3fzo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEYmMQy5F7E

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:laffo: it's just like life

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Do tell.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Shoulda bought a PS3 tbh.

I've got a disc copy of that collection so that I can look at the cool box art every 5 minutes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem with Blu-Ray is the read-rate is relatively atrocious compared to that of DVD's, which is why the PS3 had to install games to its hard drive while the X360 didn't and why the XBone and PS4 both need to as well.

PS3 didn't install to the HD, which is why devs were bottlenecked into using the SPUs efficiently. Basically the reason why Uncharted exists.

edit; I guess you're talking about partial install, aren't you, since PS3 never had a full install option beyond a few games here or there.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 21, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pingiivi posted:

I tried the Nioh demo and remembered that I just do not like the souls type games at all. Then I summoned help and some Japanese dude joined in and KILLED EVERYTHING. I just ran behind him and collected the drops.

I tried the Nioh demo with a wait-and-see attitude and was totally enthralled. The loading times are so fast that I kept dying and going back for my corpse for like 2 hours.

It's an amazing mashup of gameplay styles and references, from Onimusha/Tenchu/Bushido Blade to Souls/Ninja Gaiden, parts of it even gave me a Soul Edge fighting game feel. The whole thing feels amazing and cohesive and it's super rare to get games like this in the west.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Beat the Ogress, not sure if I have what it takes to beat the side missions before midnight.

Well, hope I don't miss anything too good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ogress death count: 40.

On the plus side, I remembered that I had a guardian spirit

If you're dying that much level up strength, use medium stance, and dodge instead of block.

edit; yeah, what he said, too ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I was level 12 when I finished, died about 6 times to Ogress.

On the other hand, I died around 30 times to the very first enemies when I was trying figure out the control, so....

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TFRazorsaw posted:

I didn't like shadow of the colossus and ico enough to want to bother with the hallmarks of this franchise's gameplay on top of what appears to be really bad AI on a companion character. I realize some people find it realistic but to me personally that will always be frustrating.

Also, the game being technically gimped on the base PS4 and not the Pro feels like something I don't want to encourage Sony on, so it won't get my dollars.

Your loss. Best game of 2016.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The only downside is that video game animals will forever look like poo poo to me after trico.

"Every single feather is a dead PS3."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cattes.

Nostalgia4Cattes

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kin posted:

I've just started playing The Last Guardian and i remember a lot of complaints from people about it being bad because they coudln't get Trico to do what they wanted. Did they just not play that far into the game or has it been patched or something because so far it's been fairly intuitive and about right if you don't expect your beastly companion to instantly do something the moment you push the button.

Like there's a clear pattern of it looking at what you want it to do, pondering for a few seconds and then doing it.

Also, the game is pretty great so far and really nails the same vibe as Ico.

Many of the reviews were done by legit imbeciles.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Can someone help me out in Last Guardian? It's fairly hard to google a walk through for certain parts:

trico is seriously injured after a fight with the bad guardian and now he needs barrels. I've found 3, the one in the cart and the 2 behind the destructible debris up the chain. Where is the next place to look? I've tried out the hallway and to the broken bridge but can't find anything

Any help greatly appreciated!

Sorry man, that's a hard one to remember :(

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Holy moley the fourth barrel was in the cart

Yeah, sorry, I was just about to tell you to climb it. Glad everything worked out.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

univbee posted:

:toot: Now they just have to ensure it's not tied to a specific console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cx00LHagvxM

rabidsquid posted:

suggesting that something might be possible is a quick ticket to people calling you a liar and getting mad as gently caress online

Yup. Underpromise/Overdeliver is key.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I'm more excited for Nioh than I was after the original Alpha. Definetly has been improved in the most recent demo. I can't say I find the exploration in Nioh nearly as satisfying as From games though.

Yeah, from what I saw the environmental art direction is weak in comparison, which is a big part of the souls games. The combat and music are nice tho

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Digirat posted:

How many chapters are in uncharted 4?

21 thereabouts

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I would pay Konami money to release an update for PT that deletes it. I am tired of hearing about this stupid demo that was honestly pretty lame.

People like scaremans for some reason, maybe just human nature.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I respect that you did not claim the enemies in Uncharted are bullet sponges and instead accurately described the gameplay involved. The shooting in 4 is the best in the series if that is worth anything

Untrue. 3 had grenade tossback, so 4 is a downgrade by default.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

NNick posted:

Bloodborne is 100% a horror game. Not because it is 'horrific' (I don't think it is), but because of its setting, monsters, story, etc. Many people consider it a ode to Lovecraft.

Anyone who thinks Bloodborne isn't a horror game is a loving goober.

Everything in that game is flayed, foreboding, slimy, covered in eyeballs, and screaming at top pitch...ready to kill the player in two hits. The player character is literally drenched in spilled blood, Evil Dead style, for 80% of the game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

RE1 is more adventure game than action game, and MGS2 does not have a fixed camera or tank controls. Buddy what are you smoking

MGS2 has a rail-camera, like God of War. It's fixed in a way, but is definitely its own thing because of the corner peek. Goddamn, now you're reminding me how awesome the corner peek was as a gameplay mechanic in 1998.

I miss the Tenchu games, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

survival horror is a video game genre

survival horror is a tagline