Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

External hdd? Lol univbee its your birthday, son!

:toot: Now they just have to ensure it's not tied to a specific console.

univbee fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

At least with my bone, load times are significantly faster. Does anyone know how fast the default ps4 pro hdd is?

The stock drive is 5400 RPM. In all likelihood, speeds will be identical or too close to make a difference, for equivalent drives, so if you get an external SSD it'll be the same speed as an SSD installed internally. The Xbox One has some sort of bandwidth issue on its internal interface which the PS4 doesn't have, so externals run better on that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

PS4 pro is SATA III iirc which I'd like 20% faster than USB 3.0 at max rate.

Performance can vary though.

I don't think any drive out there saturates SATA III.

Downloading the Beta Firmware now to test if externals work on any console (with the beta installed, of course).

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

External drives on the beta work on multiple consoles so can be used to avoid patch/digital game downloads when going to friend's houses. :toot:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Notice anything on load times?

I've done zero experimenting in that regard thus far, doing a big transfer of data, and will probably be gone a decent chunk of the weekend.

I can confirm, however, that it knows if a drive isn't USB 3.0 and refuses to let you use it if so.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Skeematic posted:

Does this essentially mean you just go to your friends house, add your account, plug in hdd, and your good to go?

Correct. This will also work if they have a digital license, or if you're using a disc (and your install is from a disc) instead of adding your own account.

Currently there isn't a "copy" option, only a "move" option, though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Some interesting things I ran into while attempting to combine two PS4 libraries onto a single external drive.

As I mentioned before, the same external will work on multiple PS4's, they aren't console-locked.

However, the PS4 mandates that only one install of a specific item be present. If the same product is found installed on both the external and internal, you get a pop-up list of every duplicate and then get asked if you'd rather delete the copies on the external or the internal, although this delete function doesn't seem to actually work so the only solution I found was to manually delete the internal items and then re-plug the external drive.

Also once a drive has been plugged in, everything on it gets dumped into the XMB and doesn't get removed when the drive is unplugged, instead a triangle exclamation mark shows up on the item and it'll refuse to launch without the external; if something happened to the external, it requires that you delete and reinstall (redownload if necessary). So it's a bit fucky as a solution for bringing games to friends' houses, but it does work, you might just want to use a smaller drive for things you'll use on multiple PS4's.

Samurai Sanders posted:

So why did Cerny spend so much time talking about how games would need to be patched to use the Pro anyway? Just to hear himself talk?

The "overclock" doesn't fix everything, and it doesn't increase the resolutions of any games or remove hard frame rate caps.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

I got a code for the 4.50 software beta, but my external hard drive crapped out last week. Would it be ok to still download and install the beta without having any way to back up the system?

While not an outright guarantee, installing betas has generally been very safe.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

It used to be like 1 gigabyte online storage. Now it's ten. Shouldn't be a problem anymore.

I have about 15 gigs of saves although a decent chunk of that are a handful of games that have saves that are 500+ megs for some dumb reason. Not a big deal to exclude those, although it IS something that has to be done manually.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fix posted:

Is there a specific article out there that goes through the step by step of upgrading to a Pro? Like what kind of backing up I have to do in order to trade in my system?

If you'll have both systems at once before trading it in, you can do an over-network transfer if you're hard-wired. Otherwise, you can backup to an external hard drive that's exFAT formatted.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

And some games had been running poorly on vanilla ps4 well before the pro was even announced.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Do Gamestops have discretion about what their specific location stocks? Maybe certain locations (some rural neighborhoods maybe?) might avoid stocking certain products that might be seen as pointless, like if no one in the area has a TV other than a Walmart 720p set.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

What Walmart isn't rocking 4K sets now?

Not at the lower end of the pricing scale they aren't.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

This isn't correct. You can't redownload P.T. but if you transfer an install from an existing system to another one, it'll still be playable with any account that downloaded the game originally.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Did that change? I thought that didn't work either.

Plenty of people have it working on their PS4 Pro.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So your wireless router changed? It might be worth wiring it with a temporary setup to at least confirm the wireless signal is the issue.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Soul Glo posted:

How big is the install and patch on DOOM? I've been wanting to replay it, but I heard it's up to like 80-90 GB?

It is loving enormous, yeah.

From a fresh disc install, the patch download is 28.685 gigs, I'm not sure on the exact final size but it's 80-something gigs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

When do the free PS+ games drop? Also, was anyone else surprised that TorqueL is some puzzle thing and not yet another mediocre racer a la Mad Riders or that dirt bike one?

Should be within a few hours or less.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

drat my ps4 copy of Stick of Truth is getting rather expensive.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

I am very out of the loop when it comes to video game news, if I buy a PS4 and the PSVR how much regret am I going to feel in a few days? Do I need to get a Pro, or does the standard PS4 do a decent job, and is there any pipeline for future good games?

Astrobot looks cool and I'm very interested in Firewall, I would also buy Thumper and resident evil. Anything else I need?

Welcome!

If you're just looking to do VR, not many games will get a boost from the Pro, but there are some that do. I think Astrobot is actually one of these but I'm not sure what the exact benefits are. It'll work very well even on a regular Slim which will save you quite a bit.

You'll want the Move controllers in all likelihood so get a PSVR bundle with those. Superhot VR is a great time. Maybe Skyrim VR (might come with the PSVR bundle depending on which one you get), you'll just want to avoid melee classes (but bow and spells are great).

Unless I'm getting my games confused, Firewall is available in a bundle with an Aim controller so get it that way.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crafty posted:

Hello univbee. Thanks for that info, I can't really see any great deals on at the moment (UK). Which games do you need the move controllers for ? I'm gonna have a good look tonight and might make a rash decision then.

They're required for Superhot VR and a few other titles. Many games support them, and while they don't always outright require them, almost invariably you really want to play with those controllers for games where that's an option. Like Skyrim VR you might still be able to play with a regular controller, but with the Move controllers you can do hand gestures for spells and realistically fire a bow, stuff like that.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also helps give you a sense what what "clicks" for you and what's barf city without having to set an even bigger pile of money on fire.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I would play Skyrim with the move controllers but I assume it has that teleport movement poo poo and I'm not into that at all

You can choose the movement style in Skyrim VR with Move controllers, actually. The "teleporting" also saps stamina based on how far you're going to simulate exhaustion from "running".

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I played RDR2 for an hour before going back to Persona 5. How long does RDR2 take before it lets you off the leash because I really really have had enough of that kind of open world game.

When you get off the snow-capped mountains and settle into Horseshoe Overlook you can pretty much go hog wild. You should be almost there if you've been playing for an hour.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Crimpanzee posted:

Just got a pro on Sunday. I've got a ton of great games on loan to get through but need some fun simple couch coops for the wife. We've played overcooked and little big planet but she really wants a Mario Cart style racer, anything like that exist for ps4?

Wipeout Omega Collection?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

When I played Tetris Effect the controls were absolutely insane to me. Isn’t it like square and x to spin a piece. It should definitely be up like a normal person would assume

You gotta be able to rotate in both directions so you can play Tetris like a grand master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YOR-nAnj4I&t=181s

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

What about like Infinity War and poo poo

What about Teen Titans Go! To The Movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUZm_CbZZG8

SpiderHyphenMan PS4 is probably the last of the products to be released while he was still alive.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I've just run into an absolutely baffling issue with my PS4 and PS4 Pro, and want to see if this rings a bell for anybody because I am completely dumbfounded by what this can be.

A little over a week ago my PS4 Pro started hard shutting down in the middle of use. As in no light at all on the console. Once this would happen, the console would completely refuse to even attempt to power on or even eject the disc unless I killed the power to it (as in unplugging the power cable) and plugged it back in, but for like an hour or two it was impossible to get it to power on correctly, at best it would stay on for a split-second (even the power-on beep would be cut short). So I was thinking my PS4 Pro was dying, and set up a service request for it over the weekend.

I had an older model "fat" PS4 hooked up (the all-matte kind with real buttons) in the iterim, and just today it did the exact same thing. Now given the difference in model there were some differences in how things were setup exactly, with the only common points being the HDMI cable/port used on the TV, and network cable. What's weird is I had it hooked up elsewhere on the same TV (different input, HDMI cable/port and network cable) and no issues. The only other common element was a newer model Playstation camera hooked up, the same one in both cases.

Now what baffles me is how an HDMI cable, network cable, or Playstation Eye are capable of somehow causing a console to fail this hard and for this long, like I actually do have to let the console sit for a few hours before it'll be usable again, even if I unplug it from power and everything.

Any ideas? :psyduck:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Could the power cable itself be bad? Were you using the same one between the two PS4s or a different one?

Not possible because they both use completely different power cables (I have a launch PS4 Pro with the fatter molex cable).

acksplode posted:

Console shutting itself off and then refusing to power on until it sits for a while sounds like overheating. Are both the PS4s getting plenty of air?

That was my first thought but the consoles don't seem that hot when it happens and my understanding is that a PS4 overheating makes its glow bar show a red light. This is "gently caress it, everything dies".

I just hooked up my PS4 Pro again and changed the HDMI and network cables, and also left the camera unplugged. Hoping that works.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

acksplode posted:

After I bought my Pro it'd just shut off mid-game a lot, with no red light, and the exterior didn't feel excessively hot. I was so convinced it was a faulty PS4 that I tried to return it to Target, but I didn't keep the receipt so they wouldn't take it. I ended up giving it more room to breathe and it hasn't crashed once since. :shrug:

That's my next step if this doesn't work (but my PS4 Pro has had plenty of room and only just started having problems). At this point I'm just glad I didn't pay $172.50 to repair a working console. :downs:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dewgy posted:

Maybe try it with a different display, or turn off CEC? (Settings) > [System] > [Enable HDMI Device Link]

Might be getting an errant "power off the system" signal.

That would do a normal shut down. This is more immediate, like you pulled the power cable. And it wouldn't explain why the system doesn't turn back on.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

JBP posted:

You have ghosts, I'm sorry.

This is the most likely conclusion.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

So for one more oddity in all this since it just happened with my regular PS4, for some reason blowing the hell out of the ports on the back gets it going again. Some sort of errant conductive dust on one of my cables causing a short? I don't loving now, but stuff is actually working right now so hopefully I can reliably cowboy shooty shooty in peace.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I played some Tetris on our old NES not too long ago and the input lag in that game is atrocious by any modern standard. The skill level of Tetris grandmasters who play on an OG Nintendo must be unreal.

Were you playing on a CRT?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

No, which I suppose contributed to further latency but I can say it couldn't have been that great to begin with.

I guess we are talking about a version of the game which didn't have a 2-player mode, so anything's possible.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh hell yes, Steins;Gate and Papers Please. This is definitely a great month.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

PS4 Pro borked again, either it IS an overheating thing (but then it's also doing it while on standy so who knows) or my TV is sending an EMP over HDMI 2. Time to vertically stand!

Also boo at "Playstation Hits" editions of games not coming with patches on the disc. :argh:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Azran posted:

I'm out of the loop. What happened with F: 76?

https://twitter.com/ImperatorOfPuns/status/1064891878032707584

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

You might as well persevere with Ground Zeroes, at least to get the initial story mission done. Once you know how everything works you can do the main mission in like 10 minutes, so even if you royally gently caress up you can just start over from the beginning and it really doesn't set you back to any significant degree. It's a pretty amazing sandbox and I had a lot of fun shenanigans happen.

My best memory was in the process of loving around on the map, I tranquilized a guard who was standing near the main heli-pad and dragged him I thought out of sight. About 15 minutes later I jumped in the back of a truck that was heading down there and would gain me discreet access inside. However, the driver stopped just short of the door...turns out he had spotted the guard I knocked out. He stepped out of the truck, walking over to the body. I started making mental plans for how to make a violent exit when poo poo hit the fan. Then I heard a sharp kicking noise, and the guard yelling "WAKE UP!" the guard woke up and rose to his feet, and...said nothing, I guess still delirious about what had actually happened and too chickenshit to say anything to a superior. The driver walked back to the truck and continued onwards with me still in the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I really hope Yakuza 5 gets remastered, even if it's maybe the longest game in existence.

It's getting one on PS4 (albeit mostly an upscale of the PS3 version with higher crowd density).