Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I caved and bought a PS4 Pro + Single Dad Simulator after my PS3 had been collecting dust for well over three years. I forgot how relaxing couch-gaming can be, but I am hopelessly out of the loop.

Already ordered some exclusives from ebay/classifieds:

Uncharted 4
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Ratchet & Clank
Wipeout
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Last of us (considering Shadow of the Colossus as well)
The last Guardian
Rez Infinite

What else (mainly exclusives) should I be looking for?
I'm not a Dark Souls fan, so Bloodborne probably isn't for me.

Anything cool I can do with the PS4 I should know about?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

GoW really does a horrible job of explaining how things work.

I found out by accident that you can press L3+R3 again to cancel Spartan Rage if you no longer need it. You don't have to run down the meter all the time.

Merely activating (not using) one of the magic doors will replenish your health.

On the other hand, I still can't get some of the moves to work, no matter how hard I try.

"Press R2 on the second to last combo to unleash a final heavy strike" - what?
No idea how the timing works.
Good thing you don't need all skills to succeed.

What do some of the bonuses to your weapons do?
After you meet World Serpent for the first time and it spits out your axe, the hint "Eitr imbued" flashes up briefly. As do several Drwarven enchantments after Brok and Sindri handle it in cutscenes. What do those do, just randomly improve stats? Feels unintuitive and/or useless.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

acksplode posted:

I learned about Odin's ravens, realized I was never going to find them all, accepted that fact, and stopped caring about them all while the 1/51 prompt was still on the UI

If only there was a place you could look up the locations, along with some screenshots if you're actually lazy.

I finished them, it' just 6 tops per area and if you take them on casually it's not that much of a horrible grind.

Muspelheim the second time around and Sigrun however ... I feel I just don't have the patience for that kind of bullshit.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is there any way to up my rate of getting Mist Echoes in Niflheim?

I read somewhere that you'll get more mist from chests the longer you'll stay alive.
So maybe don't loot the chests in the first room immediately.

Also, sell some of the resources you get at the Blacksmith in Nilfheim for additional Mist Echos.
Of course, you will need to farm them if needed later, but it should become easier once you get all the Mist Echo related upgrades first or open the chests in the treasure room.

That should get you to around 15-20k per run.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Bombadilillo posted:

If ps5 is just a more powerful console that does nothing different it would just be great. They'll find a way to gently caress it up though. I'm personally worried about a kinect style VR push.

Speaking of which, how likely is it that the current PSVR will work on the PS5?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Shadow225 posted:

I am hopefully trying VR for the first time tomorrow. What kind of cool VR stuff is in the pipeline?

It has been mentioned before, but people (including me) are really hoping for a PSVR release of Beat Saber later this year(?). The day this is available is the day I buy a PSVR.

If you're trying VR on a PC, you can already play it on Oculus/Vive, it's available on Steam as an Early Access title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1sw4lfwFw

(Plenty more in the related videos).

Edit: Holy poo poo, they did it.
"Through the fire and the flames" custom song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywEh9ECEnkU

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 25, 2018

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: The part of the game I'm at has a bunch of puzzles where I turn wheels to open gates and then use my powers to freeze the wheel to keep the gate open. Cory Barlog is a Grade-A plagiarist

I played God of War when I got my PS4 in April before starting with Horizon Zero Dawn yesterday.

Grab your bow.
Go hunting with your dad.
Launch a prayer lantern.
Here's a big enemy. Beat it? Ok, now here's two or three of them at the same time. Enjoy.

THEY ARE BASICALLY THE SAME GAME!

HYPERBOLE! Of course they are not.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 5, 2018

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Over There posted:

I was really enjoying God of War but then I heard on NeoGaf that one of the Dark Elves screeches is voice acted by well known misogynist Bill Burr so I deleted it and asked for a refund.

I came across an NPC in Horizon Zero Dawn who sounded an awful lot like Geralt of Rivia and a google search confirmed it was him (or his VA, to be precise). He didn't even try to sound different. Didn't ask for a refund though, because I found that kinda neat. Wouldn't have worked anyway, since I got a 2nd hand disc copy.

That's my voice actor story for today.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Has this E3 Dreams hands-on been posted?

https://youtu.be/i7SIdSzdVBg

That's crazy.
Unfortunately I found out when Little Big Planet came out years ago that I am not a creative person, but I'll probably get it anyway to see what other people can do with the tools and also to bumble around a bit with the VR editing mode it is supposed to have.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

veni veni veni posted:

I was looking at my Horizon screenshots recently and some of them straight up look like concept art and I didn’t even use the filters. I still think it’s the best looking game ever, even edging out GOW.

Speaking of, my new GIRLFRIEND and I went mountain hiking the other day.
It was great. We went ziplining and rappelling and had a lot of fun ...

But then I must have said something wrong and the date took a turn for the worse.
We're not seeing each other anymore.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 15, 2018

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Steve Yun posted:

Got Witcher 3 in the sale. I know it gets better but this 90’s motion comic opening really makes it look like a budget title!

Edit: five minutes in and now we get the AAA opening

Speaking of AAA:
Make sure you watch the "A night to remember" trailer from 2015 if you haven't yet to get into the mood. Can't think of a trailer that captured the spirit of a game better than this.

:drat:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I wonder how many players did not go for the "gently caress you" dialogue option in HZD after Helis collapsed in a storm of firebombs. That was strangely satisfying.

I only need to clear 3 more blazing suns at the final hunting ground (Ravagers and Thunderjaw) to plat the base game, the DLC is already downloaded and installed. I'm ready.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

If I buy 12 months of PS+ during the sale now, will it activate immediately or can I manually start the membership at a later date? I am not to keen on XCOM 2, but the 30% off are a nice incentive.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

haveblue posted:

Definitely do all the animal-based crafting soon, you'll want ammo and heal capacity. If you want to trivialize most combat encounters, especially with humans, take the combo of whistle and stealth kill. Long dodge (relatively late unlock) is also essential.

I did that and wondered where all my sweet metal shards went. Pouch upgrades get quite expensive (at least in the early game economics), so don't be me and do them all as soon as possible. I was broke after not paying attention to the upgrade costs in shards, I just blindly went hunting skins and bones and hit "Upgrade" every time I could.

Of course, you will be swimming in shards near the end (never went below 20k halfway through the game), but by upgrading all the pouches early, you will probably need to grind for shards to just get by for a while.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Got PS4 VR, ooh'd and ahh'd at Skyrim for a bit, then played Thumper for an hour. Impressions:

Get
SUPER HOT
SUPER HOT

SUPER
HOT

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Once I got it the power armor stayed on. Looks cool and fits my play style the best. I play on normal and feel like it’s ideal for that difficulty and lower.

I played on "very hard" and the Power Armor was so amazingly good.
At one point in the DLC, I fought a Fireclaw, a Frostclaw (it was overridden first, but turned against me when it got damaged) and two Bellowbacks that decided to check out the ruckus and join the fight at the same time.

After the fight I had lost maybe 20% of a single medicinal pouch bar.
Power armor? More like Overpowered armor.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

FINE.

All this talk about Yakuza:0 and the fact that it's €14.99 on the EU Store made me go and get it. Hope I won't regret spending 2-3 beers worth of money on this. I'll blame all of you.

I'll be streaming it for a bit as well. So if you want to take a peek at the early game to determine if it appeals to you as well, feel free to stop by.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 24, 2018

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

mastershakeman posted:

The only skeevy stuff is the videos which are skippable. The hostess club is kind of sweet honestly

Well, some of the poses/costumes in the catfight club are super creepy (but also skippable).

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

exquisite tea posted:

Old-rear end games that I would still replay to completion in 2018:

- Tetris

What?

To elaborate: Tetris has an ending?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

owl_pellet posted:

Am I missing anything? I know about Uncharted and I may dip into that or I may not, the new Tomb Raider series has been scratching that type of itch pretty thoroughly.
Thanks!

WipeOut Omega Collection if you're into sci-fi speedracing,
Ratchet & Clank if you like fun platformers/brawlers.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 30, 2018

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What’s the best puzzle(s) in any game?

Any game?
Portal and Portal 2 for me, hands down.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I noticed that if you air combo thugs from buildings, they are magically webbed to the side of the building.

Spiderman does not kill.

But then again ...

https://gfycat.com/TightSnivelingAfricanelephant

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I have been catching up on some of the classics lately, yesterday I played through Uncharted 3 in about 8 hours.

I remember 1 and 2 fondly, despite their flaws, in my recollection I enjoyed them both a lot. But hoooh boy did U3 infuriate me at times.

Escape sequences where you run towards the camera and can't see where you're going or supposed to be going? Good game design.

A shootout in a sandstorm with piss poor visibility, yet every single enemy AI beans you in the head from 100 yards away and tosses a grenade into your back pocket as soon as you peek out of cover? Awesome.

How can we make shooting on a platform that isn't known for precision aiming even worse? A SHOOTY CAR CHASE! But wait, there's more: YOU'RE ON A HORSE NOW!

And the nonstop action set pieces just felt like too. loving. much.
How much bad luck (or extremely good luck, depending on the perspective) can one guy have? At a certain point you just keep pushing the stick up, hammer "X" and roll your eyes when yet another pipe breaks beneath your weight.

Yeah, the capsized cruise ship was pretty awesome. Did we need the plane crash right after that? Ironically that's followed by the super boring desert walking simulator. I am aware I'm complaining it's too much action at times and then too boring. Maybe I'm getting too old for this poo poo. :shrug:

Now I'm reluctant to fire up Uncharted 4. Is it a step up from Drake's Deception or just more of the same, but prettier?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

snoremac posted:

One thing Uncharted should’ve stopped relying on was Nathan finding an important thing only for the villains to show up and steal the thing at gunpoint before not killing him.

This. Having finished U3 just yesterday, my eyes rolled back so hard when today in U4 Nadine shows up after the Kings Bay reveal. I mean, you see it coming from mile away of course, but it still was an "oh, REALLY?" moment. There was this glimmer of hope they would NOT pull the good old Belloq out of the hat this time.

That being said, thanks for the feedback to my previous post. Jumped right into U4 and despite the tired trope mentioned above, it's leaps and bounds better than 3. Even the gunplay, while still being far from perfect, feels tighter and more responsive.

Looks awesome, too. Some very impressive facial animations. Nadine has the best video game hair ever. And those guns...

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

This is old news, but I just finished my first playthrough of Uncharted 4 and this gave me a hearty chuckle.

"I don't know this pirate's name."

And when I saw this pirate's cipher/symbol confirm it, I put the controller aside and slow clapped. Well played, Naughty Dog, well played.
Aside from that, the whole world building around the main plot was pretty neat.
16 very enjoyable hours compared to the 8:15 hour slog it took me to finish Uncharted 3.
A huge step up in quality overall.

Next up: Lost Legacy. Need more Nadine.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Montalvo posted:

and Overwatch when I'm feeling self loathing.

Crossposting:

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Rockstar games are notorious for hardly ever going on sale, right?
I tend to avoid buying games at full price, but RDR2 is really tempting right now.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is there a way to download the RDR2 game data when you have a physical copy or do you need to sit through the slow-rear end disc install? I'm on 400Mbit, so I'd assume that would be a lot faster.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

GOTY already ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odMmjrCVlCY

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

veni veni veni posted:

JFC red dead looks incredible.

Muddy clothes are the new hairworks. That cutscene after the saloon brawl made my jaw drop.

Vikar Jerome posted:

you can tell we live in a dumb society that takes failure as a fate worse than death with how people are freaking out over things not going how they wanted in rdr2.

I killed the legendary bear, got the pelt, accidentally rode into a tree and only noticed half a mile later that the pelt had fallen off the horse during the accident. Went back, couldn't find it (although the animal carcass was still where I killed it). Yes, I was bitter.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 28, 2018

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Bombadilillo posted:

I dont get these rdr2 duels. Seems like I dont have lots of time even if I fill the meter a bunch

Ran into a duel, read the hints, went "wait, what?" and was dead.
I feel that could have been handled better.
But hey, there's Youtube...

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

BisterdDave posted:

So I'm really contemplating getting that $200 PSVR holiday bundle, but it doesn't come with move controllers. For those who have the controllers, how often do you find yourself using them when in VR? Are they really necessary? The only game I played that needed them during last years PSVR at home trial was Rush of Blood.

For me, Super Hot and the upcoming release of Beat Saber (11/20) alone justify the Move controllers.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh, cool.

RDR2 has hidden locations! I didn't know. I just found an awesome, loving creepy rear end cave behind the waterfall at Elysium Pool.

There is so much hidden/obscure stuff in that game, just judging from two clips I watched on Youtube - ghosts, a ghost train, a vampire (or dude claiming to be one) and tons of hats and unique weapons hidden at remote locations (like a conquistador on top of a mountain with a helmet).

I have stopped watching those clips for fear of getting spoilered, since I am still in chapter 2, but it seems Rockstar has put an insane amount of content into this game that 90% of players will never even see.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

beep by grandpa posted:

I plan on dropping fat $$ this spring on a new TV + ps4pro this spring so I went to a best buy today specifically to look at HDR OLED 4k HDTVs as I had done research on them for years but since they were so expensive I never went to go actually look at one in the flesh. Now that they're much more affordable I went to go look at one and jesus loving christ :stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

Isn't the combination of OLED and console gaming still a problem due to burn-in?
It's not as bad as it was in the infancy of OLEDs, but from what I gather it's still something to be considered?

I am currently checking out TVs as well and while it's mostly marketing bullshit, Samsung's QLED (which is still LCD with a fancier name to sound "better" than OLED) looks very nice. Both the 65" 8DN or 9FN models are currently on my shortlist. But maybe I should take this to the TV thread in IyG.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

How essential do you guys think Moves are for PSVR?

I want to play Tetris, Rez, Astrobot, etc without it.

I know Deracine and SuperHot require the move, but I wasn’t sure if it was usually essential or not. I have a bad history of buying dumb Nintendo peripherals that get used for like 1 game.

I’m assuming the big pilot games like Ace Combat and ZOE are all dualshock?

I'm sounding like a broken record, but Beat Saber releases tomorrow and it's the game that made me buy a PSVR and a set of Moves months ago.

I would even go so far and assume that Moves will be hard to come by in the coming weeks.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Do PSN+ subscriptions bought in the UK work in other EU contries as well or are they strictly region locked? 12 month subscription is another 10% less expensive in the UK than in Germany right now.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Kilometers Davis posted:

That clears a lot up. Thanks! I got the general idea but just hadn’t spent enough time really exploring the systems yet.

Also, there is a talisman (or trinket) you can craft at any fence from the antlers of the legendary buck that will give you higher quality pelts. That will not give you perfect hides when going gung-ho with the shotgun, but it should help at least.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

beep by grandpa posted:

Idk guys Darksiders 3 has a 64 on metacritic and looks like a common ps2 game in all the right ways...thinking about it

Watched someone play it on Twitch today. Looks like a hybrid of GoW (main weapon, "rage" mode) and soulslike games. Hell, the healing animation is a pretty much a verbatim copy of popping blood vials in Bloodborne. Graphics are quite cartoony. Didn't feel like it brought anything unique to the table to be honest.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Dewgy posted:

RDR’s shotguns are incredible across the board really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgDvAp5LHy8

I fell in love with incendiary buckshot. I need do upgrade my satchels so I can hold more than 3 moonshine at a time for easier crafting. The fences must think I am crazy for buying 3 twenty times in a row each time I visit.

Aside from the occasional rampant murder spree, RDR2 has become my go to chill out walking (riding) simulator. The slow, deliberate feel to almost everything to do is very calming.

Also, get the Arabian horse from the west shore of Lake Isabella (the legendary White Bison is on the other lakeside as well).

Wheeeeeeee.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

I never got the appeal of soulslike games - getting your poo poo kicked in by random mobs and bullshit bosses you'll need to spend hours to "get" - but I just got Bloodbourne GOTY from the christmas sale.

Wish me luck.