Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I recently bought a new 4K HDR TV. Is it normal for HDR to look a lot more "washed out" or darker? That's what HDR is for right?

Also, is upgrading to the PS4 Pro worth it? Or should I just let my TV upscale from 1080p to 4k? The picture quality seems fine for Horizon Zero Dawn and NBA 2K18 but I know it doesn't compare to the PS4 Pro. I really wished the PS4 Pro had UHD Blu-Ray playback as I'd upgrade alone just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

haveblue posted:

For HDR, make sure every part of the chain supports HDR and has it enabled- the console, the TV, the game, any other hardware you may have between the TV and the console. The TV may have weird rules like only supporting HDR on certain inputs or with certain menu items enabled. The PSVR processor box does not support HDR and will need to be bypassed if you have one.

A PS4 Pro will look much better than a slim/launch on a 4K TV, if you can drop that kind of cash after the TV it's probably worthwhile to upgrade.

Thanks for the advice. Wow even though it's not native 4K, the jump to the pro version was big.

The biggest thing was that thr HDR wasn't washed. In horizon dawn zero, the bright lights and dark areas contrasted really well. Playing NBA 2K no longer looks washed out. The dark shade of blue on the Warriors home court logo was surreal.

Must have been a bug with my PS4 original or something. My tv recognized the hdr on it but it still looked washed out compared to my PS4 pro

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Interesting at the higher clocked gpu but less CUs.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I disagree. Multiplats are basically the same on each system. The nubone will have zero exclusives. Every single game that comes out will be playable on the PS5 or on a PC. There is no reason to buy a nubone other than blind brand loyalty.

Yeah this is going to make me get a PS5 once big titles like Horizon 2 come out. I can wait a 2-3 years down the line since Xbox games are going to be on PC now.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Chuff McNothing posted:

https://twitter.com/_rogame/status/1240328728716214273

oof, this thing is looking quite undercooked.

you might say it's using the wrong kind of APU.

To be fair not many current games can handle 2080 Ti raytracing at 1440p 60hz stable.

And that has the Nvidia ray tracing tensor cores

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

How’s the HDR for FF7 remake?

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Good and bad. It looks great on mako and neon signs but theres no option to increase brightness and dark areas are too dark for my liking even on my oled with backlight cranked up

Oh man. I got an LG oled TV... hopefully it isn’t too dark for my own taste when the game arrives.

Spite posted:

it's good. ue4's hdr implementation is pretty good.

its texture streaming implementation is not.
I forgot it was on the Unreal engine. Thanks!

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Man Last of Us multiplayer was so much fun since it was different

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

I have God of War (2018) and HZD sitting on my shelf, never played either. I want to play the shorter game next, which one is that? God of War?

There both pretty long games but GoW is easier to "just play" through without doing extra side missions and stuff like in HZD

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

I had a launch PS4 Pro and I thought it wasn’t really that loud.

Then I went to a friends house who also had a launch PS4 pro and that thing sounded like a jet engine. It sounded as loud as a blower fan Graphics Card in a PC. We both don’t really play consoles as much and his is well ventilated so I doubt it’s dust. Apparently it’s a luck of the draw depending on what brand fan you got.

I feel bad for people with loud PS4s it’s a lottery. I hope this isn’t the same for the PS5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Most recent was Black Ops 3. One of the worst games I've ever played, it was aggressively not fun to play. And I'm the person who likes COD games.

What's everyone's worst game they've bought for the PS4?

Destiny

I tried it again when The Taken King came out and it was still not fun for me