Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MZ posted:

Does Tetris Effect have any kind of couch multiplayer / VS mode?

I think the player's actions being tied so directly to the music and visuals would make multiplayer not work so well.

They could have fudged it though, maybe it'll come in a patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Policenaut posted:

Tetris Effect VR is just so, so good you guys. I'm very sensitive to motion sickness and the only times so far that I've felt woozy was during the "Desert" stage where the world transitioned across technological eras every few lines. I'm taking regular breaks though so that might be helping. Some of these later stages are nuts, like that one where you're under the ocean with the dolphins or the one that's like a Fantavision stage that gets like Speed 12 by the end and I cleared it with 1 line of space left at the top.

The final level in Journey blew my mind. I was right down to the wire with for my last few lines, scrabbling for whatever focus I could get to try and hit 90. Then the stars aligned and I managed to nail a Tetris, which hit the goal and cleared the stage. Niiiice.

Anyone got any tips on how to use focus mode? I can get an Octoris pretty easily, but I don't know how to set up anything beyond that. Do you just have to get lucky with long thin blocks?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

VideoGames posted:

It sort of makes me wonder how far we are away from actors doing a digital scan of themselves and then just voicework if they want to act at a specific age.

We're pretty much there:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

So I'm really contemplating getting that $200 PSVR holiday bundle, but it doesn't come with move controllers. For those who have the controllers, how often do you find yourself using them when in VR? Are they really necessary? The only game I played that needed them during last years PSVR at home trial was Rush of Blood.

edit: and Job Simulator, which was hands down my favorite VR experience. Will probably want to try Vacation Simulator at some point.

There's a bunch of cool games to play on PSVR without move controllers, but you'll probably want them sooner rather than later to get the most out of it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Back in the day I even used to like seeing a framerate on console tank because it felt like you were truly pushing the console to its limits. I felt like I was giving the N64 a good workout or something.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I actually liked Kingdom Hearts on its original release, but the endless stupidly named 256/6 Seventh Heart I Love You Forever Ver. 3 (NGage edition) stuff has killed the series dead for me.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This rules. I miss Metal Gear :(

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Cut the guy a break, he's 50 in February!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Man, I checked out that My Playstation Life personalised video and was disappointed to find that my most played games featured in it are all various FIFAs due to my housemates playing on my PS4 when I'm not around :(

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

univbee posted:

lol put a password on your logon and just create a guest account.

I don't give that much of a poo poo really. Plus all their save data is in my name.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Yarbald posted:

People do this?? :psyduck:

The vast, vast majority do this.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Aranan posted:

Someone send help. My backlog after I complete Spider-Man (which I'm enjoying enough to maybe DLC) is NieR: Automata, God of War, Bloodborne, Witcher III, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, and Shadow of the Colossus. I'm pretty sure if I never get another game in 2019, I'll still be busy for the whole year.

Do Bloodborne first!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It always kinda blows my mind that the younger characters that survive the Red Dead games stand a decent chance of living until the 1960s and one day could be listening to the Beatles or something.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm the opposite - I really like picking a compass point and heading that way as far as I can while having adventures on the way. I was really enjoying RDR2's lack of fast travel and was disappointed when I realised you can unlock it. I also love how slow the game is, both in plot and mechanics.

But hey, each to their own.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

I'm still sad I'll never get to play Scott Pilgrim. I hear it was pretty darn good.

You can play Scott Pilgrim right now if you have a decently specced PC. But that opens up a whole other can of worms in this debate.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

That era also had Rock Band, Guitar Hero etc and ruled.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

All this Rock Band talk has got me thinking how neat it'd be to combine it with PSVR.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The Walrus posted:

spider man is so dang cool. wow. the visuals just POP. but are there really no traversal upgrades?

You can unlock the subway if that counts.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I stayed up until 2am playing RDR2 as I want it finished already so I can move onto other games.

Am now on Part 1 of the Epilogue, so hopefully just another ten or so hours to go....

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 29, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

haven’t played it and know nothing about it but what makes The Witcher 3 so good? I mean, does anyone have anything bad to say about the game? I cannot think of a game that has most been spared criticism online. Looking for a game to really sink my teeth into and saw I could get the game and everything for $20 on PSN

mods please don’t probate

Most people seem to have issues with the combat but I thought it was fine to begin with and genuinely enjoyable when you've upgraded your magic a bit.

It's hard to think of a more solid gaming purchase than The Witcher 3 really.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Now that Mirror's Edge is done, and since I don't live in NYC (and therefor can't bike there) I want this in videogame form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyV894c8oqI

I'm a cyclist and cycle around a major city pretty much every day and that guy is an huge rear end in a top hat.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's very idiosyncratically-coded specifically for the PS3 CELL architecture.

I believe MGS4 uses a very odd "sys_overlay" program that is constantly loading external code to the CELL, which literally no other game on the PS3 does. It's also full of bespoke graphics hacks due to it being essentially developed alongside the PS3 hardware. Any re-release would have to recreate the game rather than port it.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 7, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Currently regretting my decision to play DMC2. Oh man it's so bad. I can literally get through fights without being hit with one hand while eating a sandwich with the other. Also the characters hardly ever speak. What the hell went wrong?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s so loving bad, just move on to DMC3, it’s insanely better

I've got a bad habit of wanting to be a series completionist and want to get it out of the way before 5. At least 2 is piss easy...

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If physical media ever dies I'll really miss the loop of buying a new game, beating it, selling it on eBay for 50-70% of it's price and putting that money to another game.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Haha I wasn't expecting RE7 to randomly turn into Aliens for 20 mins. Referring to the ship tape when you're searching for a young girl with a motion tracker while sirens blare and monsters attack.

This game rules.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I really liked the flying trip in GTAV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4RUyb5dl_Q

Most of that is the awesome soundtrack though.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I finished Resident Evil 7 entirely in VR and man that was one hell of an experience from beginning to end. I think if I'd have been playing the regular mode the last third would have been a bit dull, but the baseline level of the game is so intense in VR that it simply can't get boring.

I also loving ADORED the End of Zoe DLC mission. For the majority of the game you're playing a terrified everyman who's basically a cipher for the player. In End of Zoe you're playing the rootin-est, tootin-est bayou badass around. Uncle Joe doesn't need guns: he relies on his fists to solve his problems - punching the crap out of monsters, punching down doors, suplexing swamp monsters. The end of the DLC has you using a robotic power gauntlet to smash your mutant brother's face in while lecturing him about his failings in life. The guy also wolfs down whole centipedes to regain health.

I want a full Uncle Joe game!

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I haven't played a single minute of it not in VR and honestly can't imagine the game working half as well on a regular screen. Sure the graphics take a knock, but it VR multiplies the atmosphere (and the terror) to ridiculous levels.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The annoying thing about Rapture was that you'd see a shed or something across a field and think maybe there'd be something neat inside, but it'd probably take you a minute to get over there a minute to get back... gently caress it I can't be bothered to take the chance. I get what they were trying to do with slowing the player down and making them smell the roses but it just felt boring as hell.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Smirking_Serpent posted:

so mass effect andromeda's launch week sales were half of mass effect 3

and anthem's launch week sales were half of andromeda lmao

bye bye bioware

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

Also the one goon who was like “I’ll really miss the loop of buying a game, beating it, and selling it back to put towards the next one”... what you’re describing is a much more expensive and less stable PSNOW/Gamefly/Redbox. That still exists, and it’s cheaper to do it this way.

That was me. The UK doesn't have Redbox or Gamefly so that's not really an option. And maybe PSNow will be better in future (my connection isn't great), but right now buying physical copies and selling them once I've beaten them seems to be a pretty easy way to game on the cheap.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

I don't want to shill a service ive never used or link to reddit but if you google "Game Rental UK" its the first sponsored ad, the first real hit, and the second or 3rd hit is a bunch of people on reddit going "i didnt think you could rent games in the UK, this is huge!"

I'm not turning up anything - what's the URL?

E: found it. Hey this looks neat, I'll give it a go.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 25, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The perfect dodge in N:A felt so satisfying.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I went out of my way to pick up a PS3 and Demon's Souls in the last month it was online and it's honestly up there with the best of the Soulsborne games. Tower of Latria might actually be my favorite area in any of them. Plus there was a nice influx of players just before the servers went down and I got to both fight a human Old Monk and be one for another player.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

MZ posted:

Cool, I'll definitely pick Demon's Souls up if there is a remaster, I just wanted some more context on why people wanted it so much.

I guess it's like the original Super Mario Bros. - the sequels do everything better, but the original still holds up as a masterclass in game design and it's a must-play see how it all started & defined a genre.

Demon's Souls also has a slightly different design philosophy. For example quite a few bosses are puzzles you have to solve rather than giant things with attacks to dodge.

It also has imo the best soundtrack in the Souls series. Check out this awesome John Carpenter-esque poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9piElENpvmM

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I played it a couple months before the servers went down for good and didn't see a single person. I got all psyched up for Old Monk for nothing. :(

As far as I remember the servers were crummy and falling apart in the last months, but Sony did some maintenance in the final two or three weeks, causing a brief explosion of players wanting to play it online one last time and new players like me that wanted to experience it as it was meant to be played. It was great.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

My brother dropped off his copy of RDR2.

A) does anyone have that tweet with all the camera and aim setting changes to make

&

B) No spoilers but is there anything you wish you’d known before you started the game in earnest? I hunted 2 deer, wipes put a bandit camp and hogtied this loser, only been playing for 2 hours or so and now it’s time to go rob a train.

I played with the default settings for like 60-70 hours and nothing about the controls ever seemed particularly annoying.

My only advice would be that you can turn the HUD on and off very easily by holding down on the D-pad, and I found it a lot more enjoyable to get an idea of the direction I need to head in and then navigate by learning the landscape. If you get lost or want to get somewhere in a hurry you can always easily flick it back on.

e: if you want good weapons there's a very early mission about hunting down legendary gunslingers - if you do that you get some great pistols and revolvers, one of which I used right through the endgame.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I liked that in DA:I I was eventually able to boot Sera out of the party for good. You should be able to fire annoying companions in more games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

She was fine imo but people didnt like her. Maybe i just felt pity lol

I had a cutscene where she just up and killed a guy I was chatting to. I'm trying to save reality dammit I don't need loose cannons around. Especially not ones that spout random monkeycheese bollocks.