Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

veni veni veni posted:

Finally caved on BF1 with the sale, and Jesus Christ this game is gorgeous. Like, I'm familiar with how nice Dice games look this days but I was still kind of like "woah" when I fired it up. The guns feel absolutely brutal too, really looking forward to this after a Battlefield hiatus for a few years and my Titanfall 2 playing starting to wind down quite a bit.

the pilot story is the best part, the italian one is a close second. Right up there with the intro sequence, oh hell the whole game is real good.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Montalvo posted:

I'm going to fire up Horizon Zero Dawn for the first time. Is there anything I should know before going in?

Don't get too weirded out by how toddler Aloy runs, she doesn't run like that as an adult.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Taratang posted:

Is there a good summary anywhere of the absolute bare minimum one needs to know plot-wise going into MGS V: Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain if I've never played a MGS game before and don't really know characters outside of pop-culture/internet memes?

The plot is always "covert operation devolves into vague clusterfuck with catastrophic stakes up to and including nuclear war started by a non-state actor with a gang of mutants and crazies in charge of a private army, possibly of clones."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Also it's visually breathtaking

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

sicDaniel posted:

There's also Nier Automata which lets you play the first mission while it still loads, but you can't save during the mission and the game doesn't save your progress afterwards so you play for 30 minutes and then the game tells you you just wasted your time.

Isn't that reflective of a major story point though

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'd be interested if it was a game about a boxing assassin punching people to death in and out of the ring

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want to get AC: Origins buuut Super Mario Odyssey is out on the same day. So is Wolfenstein 2 for some bizarre reason. You'd think both Bethesda and Ubisoft would have both delayed their games or brought them forward a few weeks so as not to be competing against the second-most obscenely-selling game on the Switch (behind BoTW, if it doesn't utterly eclipse it).

Ah, so Syndicate with it's Fight Clubs then? :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGy7EaYCiNc
Evie, please stop breaking their bones. Once is enough to disable an opponent, breaking their arm in two places AND spinning their shoulder round is cruel :ohdear:.

Assassin's Creed, son of Apollo Creed

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Snak posted:

"We have traced your bloodline all the way back to the Apollo Creed"

Hauling the sun across the sky by day

Knifing spartans with that spring loaded wrist thing by night

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah it's a real tough choice between killing Ptolemaic Egyptians and slaughtering hordes of nazis with their own weapons.

#nomoreinbredhereditarymonarchs is a terrible hashtag

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Montalvo posted:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but some of the fights against the bigger dinomachines in HZD are starting to feel like a repetitive slog where I find myself constantly running around and plinking them with the same few sets of weapons. Kind of like a cycle on repeat. I've started to just avoid the bigger machines now, because I'd rather just get on with whatever else I was doing.

Tie em down, freeze em, hit em with explodey ammo works well.

Alternatively sneak up to a group and override one so you can have a buddy. Overriding a ravager and kiting glinthawks over towards its turf (over by that one Oseram town in the mountains where they get attacked by glinthawks) is something everyone should experience.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Snak posted:

That's fair.

I do feel like RDR was the only game to be remotely close to doing this well, and it was still janky.

Battlefield 1 has decent horse maneuvering manurevering while in motion, does a lot of automatic "gonna just step smoothly over this cinder block/sandbag instead of screeching to a halt" stuff.

Insofar as I've experienced, MGSV is all right too, but also mainly in the motion of it, because I'm not thrilled about the 5-second cutscene every time you hop on the horse.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

exquisite tea posted:

Come to think of it I've yet to play a game where I get on a horse and think "yeah, this is awesome and not annoying to control at all."

I don't know how Mike Pence does it.

Well he ain't the one doing the riding that's for sure.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Joakim Brecht posted:

Is there a list somewhere of headsets for the PS4 that have the sidetone function (feeding your own mic input back into the headset) available?

I looked a while back but instead just decided to make the miniscule effort to speak at a conversational volume without needing the feedback.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

inferis posted:

Best romantic relationship in any game is Nate/Sully

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DRIVER owned because of how much of a terrific shitshow the physics were.

Just, like, a cop car would flip over cresting a hill and slide for 4-5 blocks before coming to a stop.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Crazy Taxi was great too, like who would have predicted Uber that early

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

More like NFS Refund

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BF1 seemed to be a pretty solid game, but origin is still hot garbage, battlefront 2 is fun in the basic sense but hoo boy that whole crate card thing

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cities is basically the heir to SimCity at this point.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

...! posted:

Burnout Paradise is the only racing game I've ever been any good at so it's one of the only two I like.

The other one is Wipeout HD. I suck at it but it's just so pretty. I need to get the PS4 version. :catdrugs:

PS4 version owns so drat hard

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

To everyone buying HZD, yes, it's a great game and yeah everyone agrees gently caress that guy

also lol this part

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 22, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Renoistic posted:

Ah it like this shouldn't be in a modern game. It's never fun. Never.

It's not like 1:100, I'd say closer to 1:10 maybe? And you don't have to keep getting them, those drops are for stuff like permanent upgrades to bag/ammo capacity. The stuff you need to make, say, ammo? All over the place, plentiful enough that you end up never really being short on anything unless you specifically start selling whole stacks of wire and then stop killing things.

There's a merchant selling all/nearly all the ammo ingredients, too, in case you do choose to drop all your wire and stop killing things.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Manatee Cannon posted:

limited inventory is poo poo. at least they don't also have weight

also I wish there were more reasons to explore. you can't find anything cool and quests only give you exp and loving loot boxes, which is lame. the dlc is better about that at least. it gives you weapons as part of quests and by makes the new currency a collectible/quest reward, giving you reason to explore the world and find quests

I liked trying to see what landmarks I could recognize.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

exquisite tea posted:

You explore because every single frame of the game is gorgeous and for bomb-rear end photo mode shots.

Also it's good to get a picture with the bus-sized corpse of your first thunderjaw kill.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Manatee Cannon posted:

if looking good were enough, people wouldn't poo poo on the order. but it's not and they do

The collectible poo poo is neat too though. The banuk sets and the metal flowers end up getting you into some neat places and the vantage set is a fairly engaging story even if you gotta take the effort to read it past what the voice clip covers.

But the game is well-received for a more than just the visuals and not only because it triggers gamergate types.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If you are setting up for a silent strike, don't accidentally just hit them with a light melee.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Edmond Dantes posted:

Thoughts so far:

-I hate the villagers.
-I'm dying. Little Aloy uses her hands to scramble up stairs and kinda tumbles down them. :kimchi:
-"There's something shiny!" ALOY THAT'S A CORPSE WHAT ARE YOU DOING THAT'S GROSS
-The bats flying around the cave cast shadows in the shaft of light coming in from the roof. :aaa:

Aloy is a tremendous wiseass and you can either take it or leave it: https://youtu.be/WcwWZdtziT0

Also they do incredible things with lighting:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

To clarify, anything that only says "sell for metal shards" is vendor trash. Also you really don't end up short on shards except maybe really early or if you are trying to speedrun instead of going on safari.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"whoa, look I'm just the guy who draws the werewolves and sprockets, I don't write plot"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bust Rodd posted:

I just did the 2nd side quest in horizon and the Spear upgrade just changed my playstyle from "Cautiously plink at weakpoint of robot" to "Smash them into scrap in one or two hits". Did the change in power come from the spear upgrade, the level up, or both? Are there lots of upgrades like these in sidequests?

playing on very hard, will save ultra for NG+

Both, and unfortunately the spear doesn't get much in the way of upgrades like that one. However, you have stuff in the skill tree that serve as similar boosts in power, and as the game unfolds you get to take advantage of some real cool poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The mechanic is a stripper for god's sake

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HOW BOUT SOME DECALS

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

good god the fireclaw hunt in TFW.

One of them was in a fight with a few tramplers and scorchers and when I fast traveled in they ALL aggroed on me. Fire everywhere, roped as many as I could as fast as I could just to triage what I wanted to drop first. Managed to kill everything, after one hell of a frantic battle though, god drat.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

man nurse posted:

Something I'm not enjoying, however, is Horizon Zero Dawn. I feel like I got roped into the goon hype and I'm very dissapointed with it. I feel like your traversal options suck, the combat feels clunky, there's no sense of discovery, visual glitches pop up everywhere, and I'm tired of looting crafting items off the ground every five steps. What do people see in this game that makes it so great?

:shrug: you're kind of saying you're experiencing the direct opposite of pretty major reasons people are enjoying/have enjoyed it, which is fairly strange but I could see someone expecting something like Dynasty Warriors or Soulsborne in the combat and coming out feeling it to be clunky by comparison. Sometimes a game doesn't click, and that happens often since the game experience process is inherently subjective. The same could be said about the climbing part if you're coming off Breath of the Wild or an AssCreed game where almost everything is climbable and you have grappling hooks and stuff.

Most loot is super abundant in-game and you are kind of driven to be choosy rather than always be picking everything up, but that's not typical of most games and isn't driven home as a factor of gameplay by anything other than maybe your inventory size.

Can't speak to the visual glitching part, though, it's being hailed even by other developers as an incredible game on a technical level, like frame timings and foliage density and stuff.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Comedy option being that the visual glitch is a well-done lady hero and not Kratos.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Milkman posted:

why doesn't the sony 4k box play sony 4k movies

Because Sony 10-K numbers

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Morby posted:

This is a good suggestion. In fact, I’d recommend playing Uncharted 1 on easy just to enjoy the story and set pieces without being bogged down with some shooting mechanics that haven’t aged super well. The rest you should be able to play on normal and up.

Gonna second this. The shooting part of UC1 was a travesty but they improved on it real fast as the series unfolded.

If I played through the series again I'd probably still laugh at all the cheap laugh lines.

https://youtu.be/1wXoG0Li11w

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

E: wrong thread

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 28, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Policenaut posted:

Huh, this is kind of neat. Japanese city-builder and train game A-Train Express has keyboard & mouse support. A game like Cities Skylines or Tropico 5 could really do with something like that.

Holy gently caress I loved the original on the PS. Got it in the big cardboard case and all.

My cities were beautiful creations of light and rails, and then they went bankrupt because I'd gently caress up the placement of a maglev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Edmond Dantes posted:

I love HZD so far, but I'm starting to get really frustrated at the combat. Even when using the 'correct' types of ammo I feel like I'm plinking away at health while even watchers can 2-hit me.

I'm at Sigma and I've restarted the Thunderjaw fight about 10 times now; his melee attacks hit for 3/4 of my health, can track me through running and rolls, and even a 3-shot precision arrow volley is doing ~80 damage tops, which is so little that I don't even see the health bar move.

He takes 5, 6 ropecaster shots to tie down, and even the one time I managed to make it fall over I shot the power cells a buncha times with electric bombs and it did nothing. I've tried filling the area with traps but he just walks by and shrugs it off.

honk off the disc launchers, rope him down and freeze him while heading for a (now on ground) disc launchers, and fire it at him as fast as possible.