Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Alright fine I guess I'll get Last Guardian since everyone keeps talking about it. I'm not a 100% cheevos dude by any means, how long?

I know it's a bit unique: comparable to any other game?

Only the other Team Ico games, really.

It's not that long but encourages you to stop and smell the roses, there are speed achievements for 30, 15, and 5 hour clears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mrbass21 posted:

Nevermind SMS authentication being about the least reliable of 2fa they could do. Why not do Google authenticator and use a real 2fa protocol?

Why don't they use the phone app they already have and can push to

Yesterday I discovered that the site and my console disagreed about whether or not the console was primary (despite it being the only PS4 I've ever owned). I had to use the master reset and now I'm on the 6-month cooldown :bravo: At least initiating downloads via the web store works now.

(If I got hacked it was a very polite hacker who never did any suspicious store activity, also I've had 2FA on for a long time with no red flags.)

haveblue fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 7, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Rez is the best PSVR game anyway, for me it pretty much justified the whole thing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kelp Me! posted:

both Goat Simulator and Escape Goat 2 are $9.99, maybe those?

Goat Simulator is barely a game, its value rests in its sheer existence more than in anything you do with it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Montalvo posted:

Whoever curates the Playstation account on YouTube is a genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vr4El4cmI

This looks like it should have aired at 3AM on Adult Swim.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shadow225 posted:

Question: What is the cliff hanger that everyone complained about? I don't remember thinking that I needed another game to tie up anything really.

Titan Souls - Imagine a 2D Shadow of the Colossus that focused more on twitch pattern recognition and less on cinematics. I enjoy the idea of boss rush games. Bosses are the most interesting parts of video games, and everything in between the bosses is usually boring filler (shout out MGS: Revengeance). This game is solid. You have a button to run/dodge roll and a button to fire your single arrow. Once you fire your arrow, you can either go pick it up, or you can call it back to you. The only enemies in the game are the bosses. Each boss can be defeated by 1-2 well placed arrow shots, depending on the need to hit a weak spot to open up the target. You also die in one shot. The bosses have varied and interesting designs, which I appreciated. My only complaint is that nearly every boss uses tracking/input reading while also having additional attacks to dodge simultaneously. Nearly every boss is defeated by dodging the attack at the last second in a way that you are in position to dodge the protection attack and fire your arrow in <1 second. It gets annoying dealing with such heavy input tracking. Some boss fights turned into aI manipulation rather than pattern recognition as a result, if that makes sense? Also, some hit boxes I felt were a little spotty due to the way that perspective played out in a 2D space. Otherwise, I enjoyed the game. It has some really stellar pixel art and music.

What is everyone's favorite and least favorite bosses? My favorite was the magma ball that you had to pull with your arrow toward the bomb. That was a great way to play with design space.. My least favorite were the two bosses I had to look up:the skull with two maces and the Image of the Titan Soul. The skull just did not register arrows that I felt should hit his weak spot. The Image was just really dumb design. The tracking was so bad it was hitting me mid dodge roll. Thematically, the idea of using your arrow was cool, but it is pretty dumb to punish you further for missing when the game already punishes you through its mechanics. Also, jumping out of its' soul armor felt random. Every other boss is predicated on knowing where the weak spot will pop up after its attack sequence. I could never predict where this one would be until I watched a video. Just really frustrating design. I had a much easier time with Truth than image.

I would like to know how I stack up against other people who beat the game for the first time. I beat all 19 bosses with about 227 deaths and 2.5 hours.

It was well-made, but it had a couple of problems. It can be really hard to tell whether what you're trying to do is supposed to work or not. Between the really tight timing and the inability to partially damage a boss you don't get a lot of feedback, which sent me to walkthroughs more than once. I also wish they had eliminated making you run back to the boss from the spawn point- you even see it save when you start a boss encounter, there was no reason for that wasted time on every retry. An overhead map would also have been nice.

I would make the same complaint about the final boss and also the archer guy- almost every other boss lets you control or at least anticipate the moment and location where it becomes vulnerable, those two don't and all you have is luck and reflexes.

I also got all 19, but with way more deaths over maybe 5 hours. The secret boss I didn't find very hard, other than the super-tight timing in the first phase what was to be done was usually clear and easy to pull off.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Interrupting your practice every 3 deaths is still really bad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

So uh, does watch dogs 2 ever end? I've been playing this game for a month and I seriously have no idea how much is left. Last mission I did was the robot factory.

lol this game is so long.

There aren't a lot of main missions left at that point, the last one has several parts to it though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you loved those games you will love TLG.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zipperelli. posted:

Is this a deal, or are they batshit insane asking this price? http://gainesville.craigslist.org/vgm/5953647231.html

because if this is as good a deal as I think it is, I'm going first thing in the am to get it.

That's a pretty good deal, the console and VR bundle alone would be $900 if you can even find one at MSRP and he throws in a bunch of extra games and hardware. I hope he means Infamous Second Son though, Infamous 2 is a PS3 game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why is Sony posting utter garbage trailers lately?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM523jjrvf4

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ethanol posted:

I want to play tlg but it seriously makes my dog fly off the handle

Feed him a barrel

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Skwirl posted:

What about TLG freaks out so many people's dogs?

Trico is constantly making very realistic animal noises.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I never found the mold thing, how does combat work in VR with slow movement speed and interval turning?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pierson posted:

If there is a single must-have PS4-exclusive story-based game of any genre at all (except MMO) which would you say that was? Uncharted seems to require a big investment in the entire series to get the most from it, Last of Us seems to be the general recommendation.

Everyone's going to tell you to get Bloodborne regardless of what ground rules you set, so get Bloodborne.

TLOU is a good standalone (for now), though.

For UC4 all you really need to know is he's Sad Indiana Jones and go from there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a horror pastiche because it's necessarily several times as long as any one movie. Psycho killer, dark creepy woods, ancient indian curses, crumbling abandoned buildings where you're not alone, it all comes up at some point. But yeah, there isn't a whole lot of sheer terror in it, and very little gore either from what I recall.

vvvvvvv True, but since a) there's only a ten or so characters in total and b) someone getting killed doesn't wind back time and make you try again it's not going to be happening every couple of minutes like in a typical horror game.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 17, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's worse than 4 in every mechanical and technical way but you can't deny that UC4 takes a long time to get started and stays so strongly focused on its characters that it could alienate anyone who doesn't know them well already. Playing 4 first is probably a mistake.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Uncharted 4 looks really, really pretty.

Worth pointing out that this image predates the Pro.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's a screenshot of GR1. 2 is supposed to have less garish colors, like in the screenshots above it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Still $59 on Amazon US, guess the UK just has terrible taste in games

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I interact with my fellow workers at the anime factory, covers the rent too

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*presses go that way button*

*trico moos and ignores you*

trico-kun!!! *forehead veins*

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kirios posted:

But what would Yakuza even be without out of nowhere J-Pop performances?

A serious mature game fit for well-adjusted modern adults, duh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it might be a little hazy *why* you're doing it but I never got confused as to which way the exit was.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

Look, there's tons of mature and adult games on the PS4.

Like Batman. Who is more mature and adult than Batman? Nobody, that's who.

Nobody tell him about Gotham Knight

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

Knack is $4.99

Stay strong, wait for plus

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zenintrude posted:

owning is better than leasing :wink:

We would thank Sony for snatching it away from us

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Beastie posted:

Is 1886 worth $5? I'd play it once.

That's less than a movie ticket and the game is basically a steampunk Underworld movie, go for it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bastion is absolutely worth $5 if you have any tendency at all towards ARPGs.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

PenguinKnight posted:

im enjoying SRIV, except for one thing: i haven't been using the guns a lot, since The Touch comes up on the mixtape station and it feels so wrong to keep shooting dudes instead of suplexing and piledriving every guy in the room. same with driving, I got the infinite sprint real early so why drive when you can do that and glide?

Yup. Guns and driving both got kind of obsoleted by the crazy matrix superhero poo poo you can do now.

It helps to think of it not as the fourth Saints Row game but as the third Crackdown game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

verbal enema posted:

Haven't played an SR game since the first but that just grabbed my attention

Yeah, the first one is a GTA clone played straight but the later ones lean hard into the absurdity of the gameplay and premise. By the time the fourth one adds literal superpowers (virtually identical to the ones in Crackdown, even including stat orbs) it doesn't even seem like much of a stretch.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All the casual fans play 3D brawlers now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Can you leave Hunter's Dream after it's on fire? I didn't think that was an option.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most of the reviews describe it as an old school haunted house game like the series used to be, with more than a little Silent Hill/PT mixed in.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Wandle Cax posted:

Speaking of controller features, what are some people's favorite uses of the speaker and lights. I liked how in Mad Max during the final mission you can hear ghostly voices through it. I like how in Rise of the Tomb raider the light changes colour depending on the light source lara is using.

The talking sword in Transistor can be routed through the controller. I thought it was a really neat idea, but had to switch it back to TV as it made its dialog noticeably harder to understand.

Infamous Second Son uses the speaker to do a dead-on impression of a shaken spray can.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

This looks like it could be fun. Like Trials without the stuff that makes you want to throw your controller across the room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8VLMNzBDhw

This doesn't look like it'll let you stunt through a spaceship or a mayan temple or hell or whatever other random bullshit Trials had. 'Course it also won't have the dumb wacky-physics minigames and terrrible platforming that ruined Trials of the Blood Dragon, so there's that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah it's the best thing for PSVR by a long shot. Honestly one of the coolest game experiences I've had.

Yeah, it's very good and very spoopy (at least the place I got to after the opening acts). On paper it's just a haunted house, but in VR your whole body gets involved and you can do poo poo like peering through lattices, or craning your neck to see into open boxes, or leaning around corners to keep an eye on the guy searching for you. More than one scripted sequence has made me reflexively dodge out of the way IRL.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Can I beat Last Guardian in a week? Trying to see if I can squeeze it in before Nioh

Easily, it's probably under 10 hours if you don't search every nook and cranny.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Wow, this is really bad. Like, even by the standards of years ago. How long have they been working on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

LawfulWaffle posted:

Guys, it's like you've never heard of a Day 1 patch before. I bet that clip was full of bugs that passed certification because they can be patched out in between when it went gold and when release day is. Not that I think it absolves that mess, but I feel like it's within acceptable levels of jank for a game that hasn't come out yet.

The animation and backgrounds, maybe. The voice acting and script can't be fixed by a patch.

Regardless, I'm going to wait for someone to post impressions of the game as a whole, because I'm not going to miss out on robot dinosaur hunting if that turns out to be a minor sidequest or something.