Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Several Goblins posted:

So one of my buddies went insane for Black Friday. I've been trying to talk him into buying a PS4 for years, and it finally happened. He's been an Xbox One guy and hasn't owned a Sony console since the PSX. Except he bought...

Spiderman PS4 Bundle
Heavy Rain
Detroit: Become Human
Bloodborne
Nier: Automata
Uncharted Collection
Uncharted 4
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Yakuza 0
Yakuza Kiwami
Persona 5
God of War
Horizon: Zero Dawn
The Last of Us: Remastered

All at once, for a shockingly not bad amount of money for all that. I'm almost jealous because I wish I could play all that again for the first time.

I am like this. I had a Playstation 1, and a PSP, but went orig xbox/xbox 360 and have had a decent PC for this gen but ordered that spiderman slim PS4 bundle, it was too good a deal. I wanted to play Spiderman, but I really bought it for Red Dead Redemption 2, as I am a huge western fan, loved LOVED RDR1, and cannot wait for whenever the gently caress RDR2 will come out on PC. I also ordered Horizon Zero Dawn and the Uncharted Collection, and plan to pick up eventually Shadow of the Colossus and Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy(if i enjoy the collection) someday. Between all those and the perpetual Steam backlog that is a lot of games and I am stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Bust Rodd posted:

Any thoughts on RDR2’s completely busted online economy that is in no way indicative of their contempt for their fan base? Beta reviews say it’s demonstrably grindier than GTAV and the Forbes article had some galaxy-brained factoids that make it sound like all the worst parts of GTAO but exponentially less fun and with less to do.

I feel like economy sucks because the setting of RDR2 is so much more limited to what they can add versus GTA5 to get people to buy their e-cash. GTA5 can add crazy new vehicles but what is there for the western setting of RDR2? How far are they willing to push or go beyond the setting? So make it super grindy so people buy the rockstar dollars to avoid the grind since they (possibly) wont cross the line of adding neon horses and flying carriages.

Maybe I lack the imagination but I wonder where they will go with it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Mr Hootington posted:

Wish we had gotten Gun 2 over RDR2

More western games in general plz, I really really want a sequel to Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

RareAcumen posted:

I mean the idea of dropping a bunch of people on an island isn't quite there but it's basically just last man standing. Aside from having to disarm a bomb too, that's basically CS:GO and TF2 has an Arena mode that's literally that. I didn't have an Xbox or any interest in it at the time but I'm sure one of the seven Halo games had one like that too.

Battle Royal on an island, an old concept!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYL10FtU_Bo

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Is there a way to tell on the PS4 how long I've been playing a specific game? I wanted to know how many hours I have in Red Dead Redemption 2, including all the times I reloaded because I decided to gently caress around and shoot all my guns off the top of a building.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

veni veni veni posted:

One single player game and one multiplayer game at all times. More than that just makes playing games just feel like a job.

I am usually this way, as I can't juggle more than one singleplayer story game and remember all that I should. Right now I am playing Red Dead Redemption 2, and just started Monster Hunter World with friends (on PC, we were playing Sea of Thieves). There's no time for anything beyond that.

Once I'm done with RDR2 I have spiderman to play and I am really looking forward to that.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Doctor Zero posted:

Price isn’t that big a factor for gamers. For regular Joes it’s huge.

Mom: little billy wants a PS4 or an Xbox but the Ps4 is $100 cheaper so I guess PS4 it is!

Man price was huge for me, because I already have a decent PC and all I really wanted to play was Red Dead Redemption 2. Console exclusives I was interested in like Spiderman or Halo 5 (also 360 backwards compatibility) weren't enough to sell me on a system on its own, but the $200 black friday PS4 spiderman bundle was so good I jumped on it. Pretty excited to play Spiderman and also picked up a few other exclusives but I'm enjoying taking RDR2 slow.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I saw there's a Harvest Moon for the PS4. My SO loves those games, is the PS4 one any good? Are there similar games I should bring to her attention?

Stardew Valley is a far better Harvest Moon game than Harvest Moon itself.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

JBP posted:

When I think about Star Wars it's actually the old games that made me really love it and with that said I'd love a new KOTOR or Dark Forces game, so if this one looks good I'll probably get hype for star wars (in its prime video game form).

I’m similar. I have a special fondness for Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, it distracted my mind enough during some major health problems that painkillers could not and so I’ll always be happy for a new single player Star Wars game.

Also I got so good at the multiplayer, I’ve never been as good in a multiplayer game before or since. Id run into people nearly as good but no better, I could fly in that game.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Lobok posted:

Was that the one with the different lightsaber stances? I pissed off so many friends using the slow, lumbering swing because it looks like you should be able to avoid it by seeing it coming for so long but I'd still hit them.

Yeah there was a Light/Medium/Heavy stance, and the heavy stance you swung super slow but you did massive damage and you could basically kill people in one or two hits with it if you timed your swing well. I doubt they will do lightsaber combat like that in a new game, it was clumsy even though it was fun when fighting other lightsaber foes in single or multi.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I really appreciate in Spider-Man how the suit and suit power are two different things, I rock the classic look for most of the game and don't want to wear some of the clown suits even if I want to mess around with their powers.

I also like how they went the Batman Arkham combat route but it's mixed up enough for a Spider-Man flavor, I swing around a lot to get out of groups of enemies and keep much more mobile than in any Arkham game. Like I wanted and got a console for Red Dead 2, and went with PS4 for Spider-Man, but Spider-Man is so good I think a sequel would be a system seller for me.

The only sad thing is thinking about all the other possible superhero games that may never be because the economics of licensing probably isn't good, unless you own the license (Warner and Batman) or you're trying to push a system (Sony and Spider-Man)

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

J-Spot posted:

It’s very good, although if you have a problem with cliffhanger endings that may never get resolved you may want to skip it. My only real complaint is that it was really just more Human Revolution and didn’t advance much beyond it. It feels like something that could have been an iterative sequel released two years later in the same engine than a five year effort.

The game is good, and though it has a cliffhanger ending for the overarching narrative, the game does have its own story arc so I didn't find the cliffhanger ending too annoying. I did every sidequest I could find and it's still a 40~50 hr game, and it was lots of fun through all of it. I think they did a better job of giving you more options of how to approach an area, more vents, more destructible walls, etc.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I started Horizon ZD over the weekend and someone please tell me again starting advice, all I can remember is GO TO MERIDIAN, but what then, do I buy a weapon? I just got out of the starting zone and climbed up a robot brontosaurus's neck to reveal stuff on the map.

Also I have a bunch of skill points I need to spend, and I think I will go for more Concentration, as I am terrible at aiming and need more slow-mo aiming time.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Real hurthling! posted:

Only purple weapons are worth having because ammo types are limited by weapon tier, cause its dumb as gently caress. Buy purps in meridian.

Thats all you need to know

haveblue posted:

Pretty much. Meridian has all the best merchants and the gear you find there will last you the rest of the game, plus you can start a shitton of sidequests just by wandering around and talking to people.

Policenaut posted:

The bits of advice I got regarding weapons were to hold off on going nuts with your weapons until you get purple tiers and fast track to unlock the skill that lets you swap mods in them without breaking them.

blackguy32 posted:

I actually really loving hated Horizon Zero Dawn until I got to Meridian because that is when you can use pretty much all of the arrow types and not have to use slings to do elemental damage.

The Tripcaster is really hard to use and not worth it to me, but the ropecaster is godlike.

Also, get that unlimited fast travel pack whenever you can.

Thanks all, I will get the hell over to Meridian and get all that stuff. Really digging the game and how imaginative it all is, I wasn't sure if I would like it; didn't know much at all about it except it was a PS4 exclusive and goons said it was good.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Untrustable posted:

Amazon says God of War will be in today. I don't know why I've waited so long. I have played and completed every God of War game up to this point.

I once read an article (in PSM 15 or more years ago so ymmv) that people will stop a game near the end or not buy the last (or perceived last) entry in the series because they just don't want to see it end. Maybe I'm doing that.

I have a buddy that does that often for tv and books and sometimes games, makes it annoying to talk about stuff sometimes. I’ve teased him with setting a deadline for spoiling something. it took him like a year to finish the last part of Red Dead Redemption 1, I often threatened to snap the disc in half when we hung out. He did not appreciate my encouragement!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

For me it's mostly in the enemy behavior and placement combined with the level design, not really the combat system. Specifically, the way enemies are mostly just standing around until you get into range, at which point they rotate toward you before running at you and attacking the instant they hit a certain distance - all of those things match up almost exactly to how the Hollow enemies behave in the Burgh.

I was hoping the Star Wars game would have done their own version of Arkham style combat, it’s fun and visually impressive and I think it would’ve worked well.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Bust Rodd posted:

This is almost exactly how I would describe The Force Unleashed’s combat

We can’t live in a world where everyone agrees that Dark Souls is one of the most influential gaming franchises of the last decade and then also be surprised when it influences games.

I wouldnt say Force Unleashed is like Arkham combat at all; I see Arkham combat's cornerstone being the counter/skipping frames mechanic, and from that to a more rhythmic fighting system. Force Unleashed is closer to pure button masher with a roll button.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Freeze everything learn to exploit weak points. Get the triple arrow bow ASAP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha-XUnpM2x0

This is on the hardest difficulty. Freezing + hard points

Beat HZD just yesterday. I never froze stuff enough, only playing on normal but it was still challenging a lot, most of the time I died it was because I was too aggressive.

Good game, I enjoyed learning the backstory as to how the world came to be what it is. Frozen Wilds was decent too and didn't overstay its welcome, and some of the beasts in that were drat hard; kudos to the goon who suggested starting it after The Mountain that Fell (right before the final quest). The challenge was there but I also had the armor from the power cell quest which helped a lot. That armor trivialized some stuff but I'm glad I had it.

Great to see lots of the people I helped make mini cameos at the end. But lots of the sidequests/errands were kinda meh and I think fewer but more detailed ones would've been better.

One annoyance I'll mention is that the riding mounts were terrible to control, even turning off the auto follow paths, it was frustrating.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Did Days Gone end up being fun for those who bought it?

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

haveblue posted:

Days Gone

Thanks, I grabbed it and Shadow of the Colossus. I still had my 20% off PSN coupon that came with my system and it seemed like a waste to just use it on Colossus when I knew I'd probably pick up Days Gone eventually, so good deal.

Real hurthling! posted:

The melee is super broken and saves the game from being a stiff shooter

This is good to know!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

cubicle gangster posted:

By the time I got round to the DLC my witcher playtime was at 900 hours. It was the only game I had for 2 months, I bought my PS4 for it, and I lived alone. Rest mode was amazing but i'm annoyed it hosed up my counter.
It was the longest i'd ever spent playing one game (but not that long) and i'd have liked to know just how long it was.

I got spiderman in the sale and i think I might be really bad at it. I dont know how the game expects me to play it, there's just tons of poo poo happening all the time and being in the wrong place at the wrong time seemingly means you get hit and theres fuckall you can do about it. The number of times i've dodged an attack shown by my spidey sense straight into a rocket i'd already dodged is insane.
I'm playing on friendly difficulty and i'm dying every other encounter I have. I'm about 40% into the story now according to my save.

I also loving hate that the only way to heal is by fighting - and maybe after killing 5 dudes you can regenerate half of your life bar. I'd like it if I 'got' the combat system, but getting into a fight is just a chaotic scramble which i dont feel like I have a whole lot of agency over.

Lots of good advice so far but if you're an Arkham veteran, playing it like Arkham where you just stand in a group of guys and hope the counter button will save you will get you killed quick; that's what happened to me when I started the game. Swing around and use your web shooters! Spider-man stays on the move.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I beat Shadow of the Colossus today, good, but too drat short. The two flying colossi were very impressive, the smaller ones felt more threatening/scary/tense because it was harder to run away from them. Too easy overall, what do the harder difficulties even do? Played on Normal, I felt like I rarely ever got hit as is and grip strength was never much of an issue.

The ending was good, but the horned baby, what in the gently caress ha ha was a bit out there. I found every glowly lizard at every shrine I stopped at, but gently caress the fruit trees and other collect-a-thon poo poo, I rarely have patience for that. Also I will repeat too drat short, it took me a little under six hours to complete.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
The horse controlled terribly in SOTC, there I said it. Like directing an overladen barge.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
The touchpad on the DS4 sucks and is only there to make the options button small and hard to press.

Maybe there are good games that use that touchpad in a cool way but nothing recent I've played seems to use it other than as a really large button.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Gripweed posted:

Exclusives don't matter, the only system I have right now is a 3DS. Fuckin Resident Evil 4 is a PS4 exclusive from my point of view.

I loved Red Dead Redemption 2 and Spider-Man. The games really immerse you into their respective worlds if you have any interest in the setting of either of them. If you played and liked Red Dead Redmption 1 you should definitely play two. The budget they put into it really comes across in the scale of the systems and the world and story of the game, so much effort was put into it I was often amazed.

Lots of good recommendations. Horizon Zero Dawn has a really cool and interesting setting and I enjoyed discovering why there are cave people hunting robot dinosaurs, it worked.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I will also finally be starting RDR2 probably late this week, with the chapter structure is there a certain point you need to play to where it's open to run around and do whatever you want wherever you want like the hunting and stuff? I haven't actually read or watched much about it, just know vague stuff I overhear IRL.

I can’t remember chapters specifically but you start in a snow area, and when you move camp to a nice green area is when you can really start to gently caress around. There’s stuff, activities that are gated by progress FYI. Chapter 4 is where you kinda want to really do what side stuff you like as things change after that.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Shadow225 posted:

Katamari Damancy and Stardew Valley are really satisfying to me. I wouldn't use happy because I'm never happy, but those two fill the void by being chill games.

Any Harvest Moon type game really.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I am a ways into Days Gone and it has been a lot of fun, more than I expected, and two things I want to note:

- Lots of games I've been playing lately have the player-character talk to themselves, to give hints and poo poo on where to go or what to do, and I like how Deacon speaks to himself because it feels like a guy that waffles on the edge of losing it, holding himself together when face to face but after having his inner thoughts come out from the stress of the whole situation. I like when you get near a nest to clear out, he sounds like he's hyping himself up to face some scary poo poo when some zombies-not zombies freakers come out and charge at you when you set the nest on fire.

- The Day/night cycle will change how you approach situations. I hate night cycles in lots of games because often it just means it's harder to see, in Days Gone the freakers will leave nests and places they hibernate so you'll run into lots more enemies wandering about at night versus day. For clearing nests during daytime, there will be more freakers running out, but they'll be weaker, opposite for night, so it's a choice whether to burn them during the day or night as to what you want to face. Also when you attack some human bandit camp, lots of noise can attract freakers, and once I was attacking one at night early in the game, trying to be stealthy but a firefight starts up and then shortly afterwards a whole bunch of freakers come in and im just trying to hide because it's early game and there's so many, it was super tense watching them fight the bandits and hoping I'm not seen.

There are also these NERO checkpoints which is where you can get an upgrade to your health/stamina/focus(slow-mo deadeye), and I've run into a couple so far in caves where there are TONS of hibernating freakers, just a huge horde, more than I could handle, and so I'll camp out in some bushes near nightfall and watch them all shuffle out in a huge snaking line so i can get my chance to walk in and get my upgrade.

Have had a few bugs and the story (mainly the romance backstory) is super cheesy but I've been having a blast playing.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Geburan posted:

I got a PS4 slim for the first time a few days ago, and it won’t stay connected to WiFi. I know a wired connection would be better, but that isn’t possible with my setup. That said, it almost has direct line of sight to the router and no other device in my house struggled this much. Is that a known problem or might it be defective?

My PS4 slim had constant disconnects over wifi too but it wasn't a direct line of sight, there were walls, I switched it to the 2.4 ghz wifi band only and that has fixed the constant disconnects. If you hit the options button on the controller when selecting the wifi SSID you can specify 2.4 or 5ghz bands, or auto.

This isn't ideal but maybe try it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Still having lots of fun with Days Gone. I thought I was getting toward the end of the game and was sad for it, but then like the map expanded like half again as large so now I have a cool new area to ride around and it's fun and good.

Another thing I like that the game does is that it eases you into new enemies to fight. Early on there's wolves and basic freakers abound, but like you won't see a bear until you fight a bear as part of a mission in game, and you won't see the other special zombi---freakers until you fight them in a mission. Even as far into the game as I think I am there's still new enemies to fight that mixes it up, but even the basic freakers can still give trouble if I'm being cocky.

Also the comparisons to RDR2 but without all the baggage is pretty funny because they've very similar. Open world, you pat/repair your horse/bike, you feed/fuel your horse/bike, you only hold a few weapons, cover shooter (though stealth is much more a thing in Days Gone), clear out camps, have long rides to missions, etc. There's even been a long dramatic bike ride with a song playing.

They both even have random encounters, but RDR2 is better here, more variety. Days Gone's random encounters happen more off road so you have to go make an effort to get to them when a blue ? appears, and there's not as much variety to them, but it's cool when you're riding along and some freakers are attacking a car and you save the person inside.

And I think the player charater Deek is good, the actor plays him well. Before the game was released I think it was easy to see a picture of the character and hear his name DEACON ST JOHN!!! and think they were trying too hard, and it's not fair at all after playing the game.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

bows1 posted:

I beat Days Gone without realizing all the X’s on the map were injectors so I was woefully under buffed the whole time.

I thought they were only in the trailers that you have to open. Oh well

Since you still managed to beat it turns out you didn’t need them anyways!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Beat Days Gone a few days ago, now that I've had time to think about it I have some ending thoughts.

I had started typing up a bunch of stuff but it wasn't really any different from other things I posted about the game so I will say this: Overall it was fun, and it was consistently fun. I always looked forward to playing the next mission all the way to the end of the game.

Often in a open world game I get burnout with sidequests and poo poo to do, but in Days Gone lots of side stuff you do on your way between missions and the actual sidequests all all pretty short and quick, and Days Gone is a LONG game. Lots of time I thought I was near the end and NOPE now the map is 50% bigger and NOPE now there's all this to do, but I was always happy for it.

The post-game has a couple quests to wrap stuff up, and one quest which is a good ending zinger for future stuff and I hope there is more story DLC or a sequel.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

veni veni veni posted:

The shooting actually doesn't suck at all. I'd put at above average for an open world game. By the halfway point most of the guns you have absolutely rip.

The hordes are like, bar none the best part of the game though.

Yeah the guns get much better later on. The accuracy and recoil of the early guns are pretty bad. But I used the crossbow a lot, it’s great with that one talent for damage, plus the drifter crossbow you get as you progress through the story. It was mostly a one shot kill for humans until almost the end of the game, also I liked it because it felt thematically appropriate.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I enjoyed Days Gone more than Horizon Zero Dawn.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Bust Rodd posted:

Did anyone else play through Days Gone on Survivor? I just unlocked Tucker’s city and I’m finding it to be a pretty immersive game all things considered. I just wanna know if any guns or skills are traps and not worth it.

Not being able to fast travel means I do have to constantly scrounge for gasoline and that as badly as I want new guns, I realize that upgrading my bike is really important.

Pretty engrossing game all things considered, and despite myself I’m finding myself drawn to Deacon... probably because he looks a lot more like me than any other gruff tough guys in games I play.

I didn’t play on survivor but I don’t think any of the skills or guns are traps, you’ll basically get almost all the skills by the end of the game; for guns I never really used any shotguns because if an enemy is that close just melee.

On early game skills, in the melee skills, weapon repair for scrap and the first increase to melee damage (I think it’s in the second set) is good to get ASAP. In the survival tree, the later skill that increases your carrying capacity for materials and thrown weapons is great, I wish I’d gotten that one earlier on my play through. In ranged the crossbow damage one is nice if you like the crossbow, it was basically a one hit kill against humans for most of the game, great for stealth.

If money becomes a problem on survivor, the animal meat skill in the survival tree increases the amount of stuff you get from animal carcasses from 1 to like 5 that you can sell.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Kibayasu posted:

Do hordes in Days Gone ever get marked on the map or do you just have to go out and find them? I’ve seen a few in caves, out in the woods at night, or in the buildings they hide in during the day but since there’s no map pins or whatever I’ve only remembered the obvious ones.
They get marked at the end of the game, or just right before, I cant remember specifically. There are like 3 missions where you're going to kill hordes but those are late game, otherwise it's all optional. It is possible I think to kill one story mission horde you get introduced to long before the mission for it, ***Sawmill*** but I dont think it respawns for the mission if you killed it early, just FYI. I waited for the mission and I'm glad I did.

If you do kill a horde it does tell you the name of the horde you killed and you do get credit for it, even if it wasn't marked on the map, with like one side mission exception where there's lots of freakers you'll come across but they're not considered a horde.

I did kill a couple hordes early during my game to get rep for Tucker's camp for the big machine gun, and I probably killed one because the opportunity was there, and a few in the postgame. Otherwise I just ran!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Kilometers Davis posted:

Alright so I’m enjoying the hell out of Days Gone. Really, really am. Does it really get better after the first 5 hours because if so then that’s awesome. Any beginner tips/things I should know or avoid? Is it important to make the right skill selections or is xp easily gained?

It does get better, you meet some decent people at the third camp.

I wouldn't worry too much about selecting the right or wrong skills. You'll get like all but a few of the skills by the end of the game so don't worry about xp. I don't think you can really go wrong with skills but here's some I liked:

quote:

On early game skills, in the melee skills, weapon repair for scrap and the first increase to melee damage (I think it’s in the second set) is good to get ASAP.

In the survival tree, the later skill that increases your carrying capacity for materials and thrown weapons is great, I wish I’d gotten that one earlier on my play through. In ranged the crossbow damage one is nice if you like the crossbow, it was basically a one hit kill against humans for most of the game, great for stealth.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thanks! That’s good to know about the skills. I might have to bee line straight to that carrying capacity one though. Sounds super useful for my style of playing.

So the crossbow is pretty good? I haven’t used it a ton but it seems solid. I usually gravitate towards bows in games so I would probably use it either way.

Sorry if I missed anyone else’s Days Gone comments. Trying to keep up but sometimes this thread gets unchill and I scroll faster than usual :/

I thought the starting crossbow sucks, it can be hard to get a headshot (on freakers particularly), but you'll get an upgraded crossbow as part of the story earlier than later, and with that crossbow talent you can basically one shot most of the human enemies until the end of the game. Great if you try for a stealth approach.

You'll also get some special crossbow bolts, and these can be very useful. Though note that the first special crossbow bolt you get, a Residue Bolt, I think had a distance component to it. I never saw it work if I did a really long shot, but it was super useful against some strong freakers you'll face or clearing nests.

I liked playing stealthily and the crossbow felt thematically in-line with the world, I enjoyed using it a lot. I used it for most of the game except for missions that had you fight a horde, luckily the autosaves are really generous so it was easy to reload, switch weapons and then do the mission.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

I said come in! posted:

This is me. However, if I want to just focus entirely on the main storyline, can I do that? Or is this one of those open world games that punishes you and/or forces you to do side content as well?

You don't need to do side missions at all unless you want the rep/$$ for a specific camp, like if you wanted the bigass gun from Tucker's camp. But you can get a bigass gun from a later camp too and you'll 100% get the rep for it from just the main missions.

For an open world game Days Gone felt very directed, the side stuff isn't too numerous/onerous, and what is there is pretty quick. The main campaign is very long and I wouldn't be surprised if it's still like 30 hr game still even skipping the side stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Escobarbarian posted:

I find it really confusing. I don’t know which are story missions and which are side missions, and it doesn’t help that it keeps piling stuff on with no explanation. I completed one mission and got about four calls, two of which were from the same person, all adding new stuff to my mission list. From the get-go it keeps throwing stuff at me and jumbling it all together and it leaves me baffled.

Still, I like the gameplay overall - riding and melee is fun.

I mostly ignored the mission list and just looked at the icons on the map, when you hover over the mission icons I think it says STORY MISSION or SIDE MISSION, and the icon is more of a drab orange/black for side stuff, and the side mission stuff is mostly basic things from the mission person that's always hanging out in the camp with the text saying (NO) MISSION AVAILABLE behind/beside them, like Rikki at lost lake (or Tucker or Copeland). You never get side missions from Iron Mike for example.

Everything else is part of the main story and I don't think you can miss them at all, you will do all of them.