Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Fix posted:

Anybody got some specific experience with improving their performance for remote play to the PC/OSX app? I've tried setting things up for port forwarding to the various ports Sony laid out, but I'm only getting middling results.

PS4 is connected by ethernet, etc.

Make sure to go into the Preferences for the application and set the streaming to higher quality/frame rate, wired is better than wireless on both ends for latency reasons, and manually connecting the console instead of letting it scan sometimes helps too. It’s finicky though, no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Infinitum posted:

I like Borderlands, but I hope they turn the JOY PUKE U R FACE OFF WHILE WE PLAY DUBSTEP! DID YOU ENJOY CLAPTRAP? CAUSE NOW HE'S A loving MEME AND PLAYABLE CHARACTTTTTTTERRRRR :420::ducksiren::slick: nonsense this time around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77IR2fjgMBU

I just want them to bring back the wonderfully chunky headshots from the first one...

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

DR1 is rougher around the edges but also there’s a benefit to the simplicity behind the mechanics and game. DR2 did a lot of things better but also expanded on poo poo (not always in the best of ways). Don’t bother with the trophies for DR1 unless you REALLY love the game, herding survivors in a specific way non-stop through an entire playthough is incredibly annoying and you basically need to follow a guide from start to finish.

Playing the game blind and going through the cases as you try to rescue as many people as you can (or want) if way more fun.

Not to mention DR1 has the convicts.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLL HE AINT MY BOY BUT THE BROTHER IS HEAVY

Finally, a reason to (re?) post this!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Big Bidness posted:

I’m finally playing Rise of the Tomb Raider, and holy poo poo I can’t believe how bad the writing is. The bad guys are straight out of a direct to video 90s action movie, without any of the fun.

Between the lousy characters and lack of narrative momentum, I don’t think I’ll be able to finish it. The bow is still fun and I like the tombs, but they really beefed it on this one. And I really liked TR 2013.

Rise has its moments but it really says something how I will go back and 100% TR2013 for fun and the only thing I keep Rise installed for is the VR house tour.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Friede was harder than anything else IMO. The other bosses are still a nice challenge but she is downright evil.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dehry posted:

Go to live.playstation.com for a 20% off PSN coupon for watching a trailer for Detroit Become Human valid until May 31st

Hell yeah, thanks! Wipeout VR here I come. :toot:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think anything is ever locked out forever because you get a chapter select and can just go back to before that happens

In playing Drakengard I think I found the repetitive nature of Yoko Taro games tends to get oversold.

Yes, there's a ton of completionist, NG+ kind of stuff to do, but no it definitely does not make you replay the entire game five times to get all five endings. Your sidequests seem to exist on a meta-playthrough checklist rather than needing to do everything in a single go.

Wasn't Bullet Witch by Cavia too? I remember hearing that it was total garbage, but the exact type of game that some people got into and would 100% the whole thing, so I might actually like the drat thing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

...that Mortal Kombat 9 kame out...

I like the story, but I love this little detail. :allears:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
If you’re starting on “Give Me God of War”, don’t. The game is a slow burn of introducing mechanics and new abilities, and while GMGOW is a really fun challenge once you know them all and all of your options that are gonna be available later, combining that with learning everything is just inviting pain the whole way through.

Honestly it still sucks that there’s no NG+ for that same reason. Starting over with everything available would be a game breaking good time.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
A tactics game is really just a JRPG pretending to be chess, so it’s not that unreasonable. They’re close cousins.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Don’t feel too bad, I didn’t do that quest or even know it would go that way until like, NG++.

Then feel bad because oh man he has to kill his own giant buddy oh god you didn’t tell me onion knight meant you’d be cutting them in front of me that does it I’m doing this by myself next time :smith:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kilometers Davis posted:

Has anyone played Agony yet? It looks gloomy and metal as gently caress which is really all I ask of it. The trailers looked cool but $40 is a lot to swallow for something I know nothing about on the gameplay end.

Haven’t played it but the only available information on it is how they had to tone down some of the endings to even get a PEGI rating and would get sued out of existence if they didn’t. It has exploding children and genital physics in the release version though! Hopefully uh, not at the same time.

I mean, maybe it’s good, but that sounds like some serious Hatred level of trying too hard to hit the edge, so I’m not hopeful.

Said it in the general games chat too but Scorn looks way more interesting and is in the same kind of FPS hell world genre, so I’m not sold on Agony yet.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Re: Ending chat.

Max Payne 3’s airport level is incredible and I still get goosebumps a bit when I hear Tears.

Batman VR has a really cool ending too, which plays off of the first person psychosis type of moments they use in the other Arkham games really really well.

One a lot more obscure, Noby Noby Boy’s “ending” actually made me tear up because I wasn’t expecting it at all. It only happened really recently too, since GIRL made it to Pluto.

Booted up the game kinda buzzed to screw around and I got blind sided by probably the sweetest most heart felt dev thank you note I’ve ever read, and it just really hit me because it was a decade old letter and the whole tone of it was “we wrote this letter right before shipping the game, we’re about to send our baby into the wild and it’s a scary and exciting time! we have no idea if anyone will ever see this or if GIRL will ever make it to Pluto, but if she does, thanks so much for supporting us!”

Like, I don’t know why, but it just got to me for some reason. I love that drat game. :unsmith:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

homeless snail posted:

I wouldn't even go that far, those games are loving garbage, they play like poo poo and are incredibly ugly both visually and in spirit. Absolutely no redeeming value

:ok:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

an unremitting wave of stomping on heads, ripping off limbs, rage screams, and sex minigames

Sounds like Greek myth to me.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

homeless snail posted:

Kratos is too busy raping women and mashing the square button to vocalize informed opinions on video games

You can hate on the series without straight up inventing poo poo to be mad about, you know.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

JBP posted:

Cool which game did this happen in?

The fictional angry man upset him, be nice.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

JBP posted:

I thought they paid him for it with health orbs.

Dear god, male prostitution!? In my video games!?!? :monocle:

E: vvv honestly my favorite “romance” scene in GoW is the bit in 3 where he’s so good at it he ends up making the handmaidens bone each other just from watching, it’s so stupidly over the top

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 31, 2018

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Steve Yun posted:

You can easily argue that God of War encouraged unhealthy attitudes and expectations of women (something I think we can all agree with) without making the claim that it depicted rape

Yeah this is pretty indisputable. I do think they tried to make it corny and campy rather than something that absolutely stuck out as crass though (well, no more than the rest of the game anyway), and it really did set up the new GoW to gain a lot of cred for holding back.

The series’ tonal shift going into GoW4 I think works even better because the original 3 weren’t meant to be taken all that seriously. It was a Harryhausen film on the PS2 with tits and a lot of blood, which makes the often slow and somber reboot all the more impactful for what it tries to do and especially when it succeeds.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

The sex minigame in GOW 4 with Mirmir's head was weird.

Yeah but it was worth it for the commentary.

“Ach, yer lucky I’m still missing that eye!”

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samuringa posted:

I always enjoyed GoW because it felt like me as a mythological story but as we see them today - with petty, uncaring gods and brutal, amoral protagonists. And even though I doubt they actually meant to portray it that way, I don't remember anyone calling Kratos a straight out "Hero", even at the time. At best people would say he just happened to be less of an rear end in a top hat than the antagonists - although I never played 3 or the new one so maybe he goes even further?

Of course, that doesn't mean you're forced to enjoy it, to each it's own. I do think it's very interesting that they decided to revisit such a despicable character after so long and with such a different mindset. Feels a bit like The Wrestler, someone being given a second chance to show they changed after they were forgotten.

GoW 3 didn’t feel that far out of whack for me in terms of how awful Kratos was, but he was definitely 0% human and 100% pissed off god by that point in the story. Where in the first one you could just smash random civilians for health pickups, GoW3 makes you kill a random handmaiden to solve a puzzle. (Though I mean, they made you kill a prisoner of war in GoW1 for the same reason... and you could screw that up and kill an infinite amount of them...) No one ever seemed to praise him though, they just all seemed to see him as useful and not to be screwed with.

I think I have Ascension and... the uh, other one? For PS3. I should give them a go once I’m caught up on the deep and totally not screwed up lore of Drakengard/NieR.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
It’s an Unreal 4 game, they seem to randomly go screwy on people. I had a few puzzle problems in Little Nightmares for basically the same reason.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Yeah Blu-ray for PS3 games was mostly used for super high quality uncompressed FMVs and audio, but thanks to parity with the 360 (and the PS3’s memory caps) the games themselves weren’t really taking up that much storage space. PS4 disc games seem to be at a minimum of 10GB, and only exclusives really even started approaching that size during the last console gen.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Oh well yeah, indies will be smaller, I just more meant in terms of stuff that runs off a disc, which is usually going to be your non-indie stuff.

The Surge is still drat impressive though. That’s some fine optimization.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm watching some MGSV videos and I was looking at comments and was reminded of that really really stupid rumor going around a month before release that Kaz Miller would be super racist and the big moment of the entire game would be him dropping the N-bomb and I am lmfao because that is the most internet thing ever. Can't believe I forgot about that.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RareAcumen posted:

Maybe get Unravel? I don't know, everyone was delighted at the showing but there wasn't really any marketing beyond that so no one really bought it.

I like Unravel but it’s more somber than you’d expect for a game about a little red yarn man.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Instant Grat posted:

Stick it to the Man is real good fun. It was written by Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics/Squirrel Girl fame.

I had no idea about this but it makes a lot of sense. :aaa:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kilometers Davis posted:

I need to buy Little Nightmares next time it’s on sale. I’m obsessed with stuff like the Alice games, Henry Selick movies, etc. Dark, creepy, melancholy vibe games. Does it nail that pretty close? The art style always looks like something I would love.

It’s real good, but I would totally say wait for a sale so you can get the DLC on the cheap. It’s OK, but not great, compared to the main game. (Haven’t finished the third part but the first two were not nearly as strong as the main game.)

It’s also one that I kind of wish they had a software cap for the frame rate, at least as an option. I played through it the first time on regular PS4 and it just looks a little odd to me at a higher frame rate. It’s not bad, but it loses something about the standard version that I actually enjoyed. “Filmic” is a weird word that is easy to poke fun at but the choppier frame rate on regular PS4 really does help sell the claymation-esque aesthetic.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 4, 2018

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: All this for only $800?!

“Aidan Pierce’s Iconic Cap” is one of those wonderful cringe phrases from the hype building up to the latest console gen that I occasionally remember.

The other one is “Xbox is the new water cooler”. :allears:

For some reason there wasn’t a single piece of marketing around that time that wasn’t painfully stupid and forced.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Demon’s Souls: Oh drat they made King’s Field into a good game.
Dark Souls: Oh drat, they made KF into a god drat good game!
DS2: I don’t feel like they understood the good parts of Demon’s Souls but this is still a pretty good game.
Bloodborne: FFFFFFUUUUUUCK AAAAAA ITS SO GOOD :bloodborne:
DS3: drat this is good but I wish it was Bloodborne

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

...! posted:

It boggles my mind that so many people hate DS2. I felt like 3 was a major step backward in many respects. And Majula is the best hub area of all the games. I'll agree that the Adaptability stat was one of the worst ideas in the series, though.

I mean, combat is floaty as hell (fixed/undone in DS3), the animations are bad (not true of DS3), nothing you do has any impact on enemies (again, better in DS3), backstabs got nerfed to pointlessness and aren’t even any fun to do (hi DS3 again here, fixing another problem), the world is mostly flat lit with subpar detailing and a criminal lack of exploding physics objects (DS3 needs a break at this point, gestures towards Bloodborne for backup), ADP sucks and is a waste of leveling (you know what goes in here), the Soul Memory system punishes you more or less for just playing the game (“why did they even do that”, the rest of the series asks, knowing that even compared to world tendency this is a dumb system), the DLC has literally the worst area of any Souls game (gently caress those stupid deer and their double cat bosses), and probably worst of all the bosses are totally fuckin’ boring.

I guess if literally none of that bothers you, it’s flawless, but it messes up almost everything that I actually like about the Souls series in favor of... man, I don’t even know. Feeling more like Evergrace than the rest of them? I’ve tried to boil down what exactly makes it so different from the rest of the series before but I think it really is just a mountain of small changes and shifts in design focus.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bombadilillo posted:

*nods understanding.

Whispers "powerstance"

*holds one knife slightly sideways, fancy swing*

*still makes the same dull thunk sound as always as the enemy stands still momentarily, vaguely suggesting slight discomfort*

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RBA Starblade posted:

That's the whole series

If you’re blind, sure.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RBA Starblade posted:

Which in the series does not have enemies flinch slightly and get locked once their poise breaks while you attack until their armor or breakpoint kicks in?

e: I know it's not Bloodborne because that's how I killed Micolash.

It’s common in the whole series but DS2 is by far the worst about it, and I specifically mean the animation. “Flinch slightly” is vastly overselling what they do in Dark Souls 2, which is less a dedicated pain animation like the rest and more like someone just wiggled one of the main IK bones back and forth a tiny bit.

It’s funny that you mention Micolash because there’s a prime example of how the other games do that properly. You thrash the poo poo out of him, he gets smacked around visibly, and there’s blood everywhere. If that fight was in DS2 you’d barely even know you were hitting him until he ran out of HP and then swirled away in a white cloud.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh, gotcha. Since you mentioned the blood that's another part that DS3 sucked more at; it's just some ash. You get real filthy in BB.

DS3 actually shows you getting splattered by all kinds of stuff, but they made it fade out instead of being permanent until death or warping, which was I admit totally a miss. :smith:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

VideoGames posted:

I did, but it is still truly a subjective thing. My recent experience with Nier is an example. I have seen many people across threads say the combat is bad and others disagree. This is part of the design itself and personally I loved the combat. There is no objective truth to the mechanics here.

I am not sure if the GXFX rating system is good enough anymore.

To be honest I think there is a reasonable measure for objectively rating a game versus subjectively rating a game, but it’s not usually something that I see come up in arguments.

If you get the impression that the developers achieved what they set out to do or at least had some kind of cohesive plan by the end of it, that would be objectively good. Objectively bad is where you can see what they were trying to go for, but can easily argue that they botched a lot of things on their way there. Think maybe the tight design of Metal Gear versus something not quite as cohesive in the end, like a Bioware game. Sure, it’s still subjective on the part of the reviewer, but it makes sense to think about mechanics and technical aspects, along with even sometimes authorial intent, in these kind of terms.

Subjectively good or bad boils down to “did I actually like what they were going for”, and that’s gonna change from person to person.

An objectively bad but subjectively good game is one where you want the developers to give it another six months of work because that could have made it perfect. (My nominee: Dark Souls 2, being topical.) An objectively good but subjectively bad game is one where you’re angry they wasted all their obvious talent on this steaming pile of garbage. (Something more like LA Noire, IMO. So much good production work for a god awful story.)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

beep by grandpa posted:

I think using the term "objectively good"/"objectively bad" is the most cringey goonlord poo poo ever.

In this poster's opinion one should be clever enough to formulate your arguments for or against something by being descriptive with your words than being so embarrassingly smug and childish. It's just not an argument.

Yeah there’s probably better words for it, I just think “objectively good” when people bring it up refers to tight design and QA.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Taking down O&S earlier today was such a thrill. It only took me two tries this time through but it’s still so satisfying.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Infinitum posted:

Like I get that you don't want to play it, but negating an entire dev teams hard work because one dickhead makes an appearance..

Feels like a really weak hill to die on.

It’s either that or live in a world where there’s zero consequence for associating your product with assholes?

Giving someone a paycheck and exposure when their claim to fame is “getting mad at video games” and “saying black people are inherently genetically inferior and are prone to crime” is kind of lovely, and it’s admittedly why I’m waiting til Hat in Time is dirt cheap.

Sure, it’s negating an entire team’s work over the inclusion of one dickbag. Blame whoever greenlit that dumb loving decision and decided that pandering to the worst parts of the gaming community to have a proud white nationalist yammer out some gibberish for you was worth it.

Maybe you don’t care, and that’s fine, but for some people I can totally understand that that’s a bridge too far. Can’t shake the devil’s hand and say you’re only kidding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

exquisite tea posted:

A Spyro sequel with great platforming and an emotionally resonant experience for fans of the series and newcomers and there's just one tiny litttttttle scene where Richard Spencer appears in-engine and chants heil Hitler over and over.

Look if the secret Jew burning level, just one little level where Spyro lays waste to an entire Warsaw ghetto, is too much for you little crybabies, then maybe you should just pick up your SJW badges at the door and bring an adult! To your Safe Space!

Don’t negate the entire dev team’s work over that!11