Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FadedReality posted:

Sounds like a lot of people made the same mistake I did with DA:I and tried to complete the entire first zone which is a really good way to get bored and burnt out before you even see a tenth of the game. I actually enjoy the story and gameplay but am still struggling to care enough to beat it over a year later.

I left the Hinterlands early enough because the advice to do so is so ubiquitous Google may as well auto-complete to "dragon age in--quisition get the gently caress out of the hinterlands" but when I explored more of it later there seemed to be some pretty obvious soft level minimums in the outlying areas, which seemed like a good enough hint to go elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Inquisition is pretty all right. Not without its flaws, but a solid experience. It's definitely not the kind of game you can just pick up casually while you're doing other stuff, though. Have to block off 3-4 weeks on your gaming calendar to marathon it if you're even just a little bit completionist about things, or you'll never finish.

Half the reason I finished Inquisition was because I was getting anxious over how long I had spent with the game. It wasn't that I was done or that I had a burning desire to beat Corypheus, it was that I had serious FOMO from so many other cool games to play. Doesn't help that I participate in a games forum I guess, where you're constantly talking and hearing about other great experiences.

Though I wouldn't say wanting to complete Inquisition is necessarily "completionist". I know it's right there in the word but when I hear completionist I think of needing to find all the collectibles and junk or get achievements but in Inquisition or any big RPG it's more about the actual content. If you don't scour every part of the maps are you missing out on fantastic loot or interesting battles or character relationship tidbits, etc.?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Andrast posted:

No. All of the side content is garbage.

That was more rhetorical. That's what someone may be asking themselves if they're playing the game. Contrast it with "do I want to be a completionist if that means having to collect feathers that are strewn about the world?" It's pretty obviously not content in the meaningful sense.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DrNutt posted:

So uh, it's been awhile since I played Assassin's Creed 2, but was it always a 50/50 chance that Ezio plummets to his death like a loving doof instead of performing a leap of faith?

I know in the more recent games I definitely wait until the tooltip/prompt appears. No seamless leap from a running start. Not sure if that text appears at all or as often in the older games.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Funny enough I actually have that "using the thumb joints" problem that people apparently had on the Dual Shock 3 with the DS4, mainly in Titanfall 2 and Dark Souls 2/3

Have this problem with Rocket League. Or, I should say, I use the controller like this all the time but it only becomes a problem in Rocket League. It gets so intense that sometimes the top of my thumb goes too far and presses the touchpad.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really don't get my TV sometimes. I usually have it to set to Dynamic mode, as opposed to Standard. But every now and then the mode will change and I'll go into the settings and find it switched or find that Dynamic has disappeared. The other day, not only had it disappeared, but a brand new one had taken its place and that's what the TV was set to. "Entertaining" mode. It's super obvious because once I get used to a game any changes in colour or contrast or brightness jump out as soon as I turn on the TV/boot up the game. And it's not like this is a smart TV or it's hooked up to the Internet in any way. It's not receiving any updates.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Montalvo posted:

I'm not sure mashing up genres (dinosaurs + science fiction) necessarily makes for a compelling setting.

You're not sure? You better loving get sure.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm enjoying Transformers Devastation but is it recommended that I just stick with one character for the whole game? I'm not sure I understand the EXP system and if unused characters don't level up I'd rather just focus on one character.

You are never forced to be a certain character (except for the beginning) if you're worried about suddenly being saddled with a character who's disadvantaged. And the game isn't very long so just play as the character you want.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

acksplode posted:

Mario 64 should get maybe a little credit for being the first good 3D platformer ever? That's not a small feat. It came up with so many control innovations that we take for granted now. Yeah the camera controls suck these days, but it had camera controls. It singlehandedly proved why analog sticks are required for 3D games. I vividly remember running around in the starting area in front of Peach's Castle and being amazed at how Mario controlled.

N64 Mario is still one of the best characters to control. There are very few games where you can just run around (literally) doing absolutely nothing and it's still fun. His mix of jumps and how they work with your momentum and direction was genius.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The prices in relative terms are hilarious.

Boggle $3.99 CAD
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition $4.49 CAD

Tetris $3.99 CAD
Injustice, Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition $4.99 CAD

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Picked up Android Assault Cactus from seeing some gameplay videos months ago. $5. Can't expect to beat that deal.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kenny Logins posted:

Every time this comes up it should always be mentioned that Broforce has the controller light rapidly cycle between red, white and blue when you finish a level.

Dang, never noticed that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thebardyspoon posted:

So my copy of Yakuza 0 was delivered today, apparently. The only package I got from Amazon was a copy of Highlander 2: The Quickening which I haven't ordered and the game is now out of stock on their website. loving what?

You can't get two deliveries per day. There can only be one.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mine is being dispatched. Hope I don't get Highlander 😳

Your UPS delivery guy:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Regy Rusty posted:

The gravity rush games are the best flying superhero games I've ever played

Because you can (obviously) feel gravity and gravity is a danger. It's why flying around as Superman in a game will never feel as fun as something like getting huge air in jumps or webswinging or flying a plane.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I never really feel when gaming gets "good" or "bad" because I don't power through games fast enough to ever be sitting there without a great game to play.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Real hurthling! posted:

i will get for honor on my standard ubisoft timescale of when it is less than 20 dollars and has proven itself to be not rear end.

Waiting for For Honor forever.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zaphod42 posted:

Much more confusing is jumping back and forth between Nioh and Dark Souls 3, since everything is the opposite of souls controls. O to pick up items, X to dodge, square and triangle to attack instead of shoulders... yeh.

One of several reasons why I almost always play one game at a time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lakbay posted:

I'm pretty sure those were the + games for February 2016

Yeah it's a date mix-up. We still don't know what the February games are going to be, which makes sense since it's not February yet and they don't come out till the first Tuesday of the month, so not until next week.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LawfulWaffle posted:

"Oh, hi Brom"

If this game is like The Room then I guess we can expect gratuitous nude shots of men's asses.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

"The Day 1 patch will fix everything" -- a winning affirmation of gamers everywhere.

Followed quickly by "why not just release a working game instead of a huge Day 1 patch?!"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Half the problem is the atrocious voice acting, the other is the stilted body and facial animation using zero motion capture. You can tell the head and mouth movements are done by some intern in a basement clicking and dragging body parts with a mouth cursor.

The second woman who enters the scene has a "who farted" sneer on her face for a good chunk of the video.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guillermus posted:

Is there any reliable source to check the incoming PS Plus? It's the 30th of January and can only find blogs trying to guess the games for February.

Reliable source is Playstation itself. Everyone else is just rebroadcasting them. It may be February tomorrow but the freebies won't be out till the 7th so there's still lots of time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Oh, Double Dragon 4 is out on the NA store. 7 bucks. Guess I'll check it out tonight.

Hell yeah. Did you play Mother Russia Bleeds? Been in my Wishlist for a while now and I'm waiting to finish another game before checking it out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Guillermus posted:

This is what I liked from Xbox Live Gold. You have Majornelson telling you everything with anticipation and games are given the first day of the month.

Yeah I'm not sure why it's not the 1st, as if it's books or CDs inherting old logistics and retail conventions. The games are digital downloads so they can come out whenever.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Some were wondering about the PS+ free games this month:

Little Big Planet 3 (PS4)
Not A Hero (PS4)
Starwhal (PS4, PS3)
Anna: Extended Edition (PS3)
Ninja Senki DX (PS4, Vita)
TorqueL (PS4, Vita)

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 1, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

haveblue posted:

Everything except Anna is cross buy

Edited my post to include PS4 where applicable.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bloodychill posted:

We got a sex haver here everbody make room for the man, who wants to touch him

He said he focused on having sex with girls. Didn't say whether he was successful.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dang, my external drive is not 3.0 but still very cool that they're adding support.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's called boost mode but I swear everytime I read it it says beast mode.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm never getting a Pro so hopefully reviews won't give up mentioning performance issues in games played on the regular PS4.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm not all that pissed about the Pro but if newer releases do suffer considerably in the next couple years it's a signal that next gen people should hold off on buying until the real version comes out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm not letting myself buy Nioh until I finish my ridiculous backlog (which primarily exists because I spend so much time playing Souls games) and I'm pretty sure Nioh isn't going to help that 😳

Was wondering what my true backlog was because my games are spread among physical copies on my bookshelf, stuff I've downloaded, and things that I've purchased online.

I thought I had five or six but it was seventeen. Now, a bunch of those are PS+ freebies that I grabbed in the month they were available just in case but yeah, I really should not get any new games for a while.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sakurazuka posted:

Let me check my backlog quick *the guns, lots of guns scene from The Matrix plays*

I've been around the forums long enough to hear about people's Steam backlogs and it just... *head exploding scene from Scanners*

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nioh has caltrops. Every game should have caltrops but I can only off the top of my head think of this and the original Shadow Warrior.

Tenchu!

And they were a rogue skill in Dragon Age (2 or Inquisition, or both, I forget).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I said I wouldn't buy another game until I finish the backlog (currently Yakuza 0 and Tomb Raider Rise) but all this nioh talk is making me thirsty 👀

Stay strong. Tomb Raider isn't a long game and it's not the kind of game that you'll need/want to sink a lot of time into the way you will for Nioh to improve your skills. Unless you're bug into collectibles you can be finished with TR quickly.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'd have to look up which of the Splinter Cell games I played but it was indeed awesome. Hanging from pipes as you waited to drop down on guards below felt like Batman before the Arkham games (and really the Predator stealth stuff in the Arkham games is kind of ridiculous anyway, with so much of it relying on gargoyles and vents).

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

My favorite fact about that movie is that the fight between Johnny Cage and Scorpion wasn't originally in the script at all, but Paul W.S. Anderson felt like putting in another fight scene and had the actors choreograph the entire thing in a day on broken up pieces of other sets.

Choreographed in a day but clearly much more work went into it given the special effects needed throughout the fight for Scorpion's moves and death. Crazy if that fight wasn't part of the original movie, though. It's one of the best!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ramagamma posted:

I finally started Arkham Knight and maybe its just because I haven't played an Arkham game since Asylum was released but its rad as hell. Can see the batmobile getting tiresome though.

I didn't get tired of it until very near the end but your Batmobile mileage may vary. Otherwise I had a blast with that game. It's too bad the car was the big focus because the team-up fights were much more interesting and a way to progress the combat system beyond simply giving Batman more moves but the team-ups were a fairly superficial (but fun!) element of two of the side mission storylines. They could have developed the team-up fights into something more complex and integral to the entire game.

Also wish there were way more Two Face side missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What is white?

baby don't hurt me
don't hurt me
no more