Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
This show has got some Xavier: Renegade Angel-level CGI Jeeeeeeeesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It really doesn't.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Sunny stuff sometimes looks goofy (perhaps both intentionally and not) but stuff like the reptiles looked great.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So I read the wiki pages for this series and is there really no closure at the end?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hey maybe don't talk about the ending of the book series in the TV show thread.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also, if you want Supplemental stuff for the show there are at least 18 books set in this universe, counting the "All the wrong Questions" books and the Unauthorised Autobiography. :v:

By the way, if the series were about Mr Poe, would it be called "A Series of Unfortunate Decisions"? :P

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 21, 2017

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Maybe a series of slight inconveniences.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Len posted:

So I read the wiki pages for this series and is there really no closure at the end?

No there is closure. It just might not be the closure that you decided you wanted beforehand.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way I know how people here hate the Channel Awesome crew but the "Lost in Adaption" guy is doing this series due to a promise on Patreon to revisit old material if it was remade. His response comes in two parts - He hated the books, although he finished them for research, because he only read them a year ago when he was out of their target audience and couldn't get past the fact that he liked the Baudelaires and felt bad for them. His summary for Netflix so far, cause he's going book by book, just did Bad Beginning, was as follows: "Well done Netflix - you're doing an awesome job and I hate you for it". :P

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FirstAidKite posted:

In episode 3, what was with the secret message in the theater? Yeah it was saying for Monty to take them to Peru because of the danger, but then they were all "Peru is compromised" because of...the quagmire triplets' parents? I wasn't entirely sure why they were going to take them to Peru as part of the plan since that only really makes sense in the context of "They're going there to meet up with mr and mrs quagmire" but maybe I'm misinterpreting it.

Not to be that guy but I clicked this thinking it was a spoiler for episode 3. So thanks I guess (though that was my primary suspicion).

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh uh speaking of spoilers, we're now well past the 72 hour mark so you don't need to use spoiler tags for anything to do with the show any more. I forgot to point that out before.

If you are going to do book talk though that still should be tagged.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

The ending is fine. (Vague book spoilers) It leaves some loose ends, but the main conflict of the series is resolved.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Wait people legit think that my question is a major spoiler?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Len posted:

No, but this is a thread for the first season of the Netflix show, not the entire series of books.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Len posted:

No I'm just trying to head off that line of discussion. This isn't a thread for discussing the books or questions about what happens in them beyond the first four.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sensational

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Just finished watching the season, and man that Quagmire fake out was brutal. I knew it wasn't going to be exactly what it seemed, but drat.

I'm really enjoying the way they're adapting the books. Most of the changes they've made, I'm totally on board with.

Speaking of, I've been assuming that Jacqueline is (book spoilers) Kit Snicket using a false name, being introduced earlier. I'm not sure how well this theory holds up, but I'll be happy to be proved right or wrong, either way.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm on episode 4 and enjoying this so far but I keep getting distracted because the kid who plays Klaus is clearly British and he keeps accidentally switching accents mid-word. Like, he's not a bad actor at all and accent control is hard at the best of times, so I can't really blame him. But it's still distracting. :britain:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm almost done with episode 5 now, and I'm just loving everything so far. The anachronistic everything from the books is perfectly translated, Patrick Warburton is just :allears:, the diverse cast is wonderful, but my favorite thing is the henchman have actual personalities. The person of indeterminate gender especially had none in the books, and I really love the direction they went with them.

E: I also really want that moment with *later book spoilers but I kept it vague* The White Faced Women and Sunny to appear later on. Even in a dreadful, miserable tale, the few moments of light are all the more touching. The aging up of the characters in the show make their reasoning not exactly fit unfortunately, but who knows.

E2: Oh my God Snicket's introduction of Charles and Sir. I love this series.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 22, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just finished. As a non-book reader, I can confidently say that this is a Pretty Cool Show. Stylistically and tonally it's definitely in unique territory. Patrick Warburton and NPH are both great, and the kids are pretty good too, even Occasionally-CGI Beaver Baby. And I'm glad they're doing two episodes per book; with 13 books and eight episodes per season, it means that at most, the show will run for three years (I imagine they'll just tack the last book on to the final season). That way, the kids won't be forced to very obviously age out of being teenagers before our very eyes. I feel like Klaus had visibly grown by the end of just the first season.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Spergatory posted:

Just finished. As a non-book reader, I can confidently say that this is a Pretty Cool Show. Stylistically and tonally it's definitely in unique territory. Patrick Warburton and NPH are both great, and the kids are pretty good too, even Occasionally-CGI Beaver Baby. And I'm glad they're doing two episodes per book; with 13 books and eight episodes per season, it means that at most, the show will run for three years (I imagine they'll just tack the last book on to the final season). That way, the kids won't be forced to very obviously age out of being teenagers before our very eyes. I feel like Klaus had visibly grown by the end of just the first season.

They're actually doing 5 books next season, but yes 3 seasons is the plan

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The kids aging actually is mentioned in the books occasionally so one of them having a growth spurt or Sunny growing more hair isn't going to break the casting too badly.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Solaris Knight posted:

I'm really enjoying this show (middle of episode 1) and read all the books when I was younger, but I do have one complaint, and that's I can't see NPH playing Count Olaf as anything but him PLAYING Count Olaf, he doesn't feel like the character, he feels like an actor playing a character, if that makes any sense.

It feels more like Barney Stinson playing Count Olaf (although that has faded a bit more at the episode I am on - Episode 5).

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I have to say too, that I personally enjoyed Vincent and Victoria, the news casters but specifically the individual names, and the Lucky Smells druck driver is named Amanda, if I heard that right.

It's going to be a long wait to season 2.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I have to say too, that I personally enjoyed Vincent and Victoria, the news casters but specifically the individual names, and the Lucky Smells druck driver is named Amanda, if I heard that right.

That would have been fabulous, but he said his name was Evander.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Straight White Shark posted:

That would have been fabulous, but he said his name was Evander.

Aww :( I still have the newscasters though, too bad it was just a one off.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I have to say too, that I personally enjoyed Vincent and Victoria, the news casters but specifically the individual names,

I really want to know how non-readers are dealing with the silly conspiracy stuff and the varied funny descriptions of things.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I really want to know how non-readers are dealing with the silly conspiracy stuff and the varied funny descriptions of things.

Nonreader.

The varied funny descriptions of things are worldbuilding quirks, many of which I assume will have added significance if I rewatch the show after they finish all 3 seasons... sort of like rewatching the old Rocky and Bullwinkle show as an adult. I'm a sucker for conspiracy mysteries so I'm loving the fact that everyone is connected and there appears to be a secret organization watching out for the kids on behalf of their (possibly?) dead parents.

As for conspiracy: thread reading has told me that it's something connected to a volunteer fire department, which fits with the redacted history of the Mill. I'm excited to see where it goes. I appreciate that the book spoilers are still tagged in the thread, but recognize I'm probably in the minority here as a nonreader so it's not the end of the world if that policy goes away.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I saw a page or so ago somebody crapping on the kid actors in this show, and I have to disagree vehemently. These kids are not bad actors at all. Bad acting is going for a certain emotion and missing. These kids were, very consciously and likely at the direction of the show runners, going for relatively little emotion. The Baudelaire orphans must be stoic almost to the point of absurdity, able to give only a hint of what would be an appropriate emotional response to their circumstances, because otherwise this show would be unwatchable. It wouldn't be funny at all. It would go from A Series of Unfortunate Events to A Series of Horrifically Scarring Childhood Traumas, Any One of Which would be Utterly Terrible on its Own, the Sum Total of Which would be Enough to turn any Child into either a Vegetable or a Complete Lunatic.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Agreed, some level of emotional detachment has to be there for the story to have any lighthearted moments.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
And it's much easier for an experienced adult actor to go for emotional detachment with hints of melancholy and hiding from the horror of what's actually going on, the way Warburton does amazingly well. The whole show has a level of detached artifice the same way Wes Anderson movies do, and for child actors to hit pretty well near the mark is a feat.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The conspiracy stuff is what really pushed the show over the top for me.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I've only watched the first two episodes so far but I like how they've captured the rather surreal and pedantic tone of the books that kept it funny rather than depressing. It's been a while since I've read the books, are the agent scenes new? I don't mind them, it makes sense to hint at the wider conspiracy going on.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I've only watched the first two episodes so far but I like how they've captured the rather surreal and pedantic tone of the books that kept it funny rather than depressing. It's been a while since I've read the books, are the agent scenes new? I don't mind them, it makes sense to hint at the wider conspiracy going on.

Yup they're new. That also helps battle the overwhelming depression, as in the books the kids were very much on their own until much later.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It is a testament to the extraordinarily good rearing of the Baudelaire children that they have yet to even once suggest murdering Count Olaf as a solution to their problems. You know they could do it. Violet could devise any number of devious death-dealing devices. If Sunny's teeth can tear through bark, they could tear through tender human flesh. Klaus might not be of much help in the actual act, but he'd be marvelous in the coverup and, if necessary, the eventual legal defense. No jury on earth would convict them. :colbert:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Somehow them deciding to have a baby chew Olaf to death seems like a super duper level of dark even for this show.

Like, I might not convict them but I'll lock them away somewhere.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Somehow them deciding to have a baby chew Olaf to death seems like a super duper level of dark even for this show.

Like, I might not convict them but I'll lock them away somewhere.

I feel like some kind of Rube Goldberg device designed by Violet to make it look like an accident would probably be the most effective means. Sunny would only be a weapon of last resort. Violet wouldn't want blood on her baby sister's teeth unnecessarily.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Nah. All they'd have to do is confess to killing him. Since they always get ignored they would get off scott free.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

On the other hand, them getting noticed only after confessing to a crime would fit the unfortunate luck they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even with all the great actors in this I was still delighted and surprised as hell at the two actors in episodes 7+8.

• Locked thread