Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

What a match, goddamn. When are they starting up their UK Show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

:lol: if you think that was anywhere near the performance this was.

...This final was good but no way was it as good as Ibushi/TJP.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The CWC had better matches, this had better storytelling. I don't think it's really fair to compare the two, they had completely different objectives.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

Yes but TJP did not get as over.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

That was the semi-final yo

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

agree to disagree

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Benne posted:

The CWC had better matches, this had better storytelling. I don't think it's really fair to compare the two, they had completely different objectives.

I'll take good storytelling over good matches 9/10. Make me care you fuckers.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'll take good storytelling over good matches 9/10. Make me care you fuckers.

Same

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The matches were great, also

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Revenant Threshold posted:

Two hours, and WWE managed to make a contemptible heel and a face that had the whole place on their feet cheering for him.

I feel like people are giving WWE too much credit. They put on a great two nights but they didn't make Bate or Dunne.
Fans came to that show already knowing both of those guys, Bate got over easily as a face because he was already over with the fans.
It was smart of wwe to put dunne against bate though as otherwise people would have cheered for dunne.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kaveman posted:

I feel like people are giving WWE too much credit. They put on a great two nights but they didn't make Bate or Dunne.
Fans came to that show already knowing both of those guys, Bate got over easily as a face because he was already over with the fans.
It was smart of wwe to put dunne against bate though as otherwise people would have cheered for dunne.

They got both guys over with a ton of this thread.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I already liked Dunne from his BOLA work and the YouTube snippets I've seen but he's now one of my favorites based on this tournament. I have a bunch of WWE guys I absolutely need to see him against. For the culture

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Yes but TJP did not get as over.

In this light CWC was a bit of a failure. Failed to get the winner over. Shackled him with a lame gimmick after the win too. At least we got Metallik, Tozawa and the second coming of The Brian Kendrick tho.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Also I knew nothing of Tyler Bate and had a legit emotional markout reaction to his win, so mission accomplished, Building New Stars

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Also Wolfgang rules and that short and sweet promo he cut after night one was a pure distillation of what I like in promos

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Kaveman posted:

I knew nether of them and as far as I know the roster was considered disappointing because there weren't any main event names in the tournament.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Gonzo McFee posted:

I knew nether of them and as far as I know the roster was considered disappointing because there weren't any main event names in the tournament.

I ended up not watching it because no one on the roster really jumped out to me. I'll probably come back around on it this week. I'm sure they were hoping to have a guy like Marty Scurll really anchor the tournament. Shame about that.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

NickRoweFillea posted:

Also I knew nothing of Tyler Bate and had a legit emotional markout reaction to his win, so mission accomplished, Building New Stars

I could really see him in the WWE

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

rovert posted:

Gallagher is like the most over cruiser so you're really hurting your own case here

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

rovert posted:

As a tag team with Gallagher? Yeah me too they can wrestle my fantasy team of Mandrews/Tozawa

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Does Rovert even watch wrestling?

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Gallagher is like the most over cruiser so you're really hurting your own case here
I am

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Simon Gotch loving sucks and the Vaudevillians were only over for a single match because of your nemesis Blue Pants. I don't wanna be that guy but seriously rovert don't be obtuse.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Dude I got a weird rear end grudge against Gallagher on account of a bunch of goons act like he's better than ZSJ when he's not, but even I admit that he's a very talented and entertaining dude who got over in an almost entirely heatless division

Besides if you're gonna compare anyone to the Vaudevillains in a way that's amusing but has the most tenuous connection to reality, obviously it's Bobby Fish = Simon Gotch and Kyle O'Reilly = Aiden English

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Vaudevillains peaked with that silent film of them beating up the Lucha Dragons

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/820762630373646337 https://twitter.com/TripleH/status/820768601103736832

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Those two were probably the biggest names.
And I was speaking specifically about the fans in the audience which without their hype I don't think the lads will have gotten over with the home audience.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I had no idea who any of these guys were until yesterday, and I marked out big time to Bate's victory. Its not just a matter of being over with the crowd, it's a matter of good storytelling. As someone who attended both shows, I can guarantee you that the pop that Bate got on his first match is nothing compared to the ones he got in the last hour of today's show.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I would probably try to lure in maybe a couple of big names for it going forward, just to add to what they already have there now they have done a good job with a proof of concept, but at the same time I think they can go forward without doing so with the people they have and maybe a few more second string guys looking to break out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Slightly off-camera William Regal is sneering at him.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Gorn Myson posted:

I had no idea who any of these guys were until yesterday, and I marked out big time to Bate's victory. Its not just a matter of being over with the crowd, it's a matter of good storytelling. As someone who attended both shows, I can guarantee you that the pop that Bate got on his first match is nothing compared to the ones he got in the last hour of today's show.

Yeah fair enough maybe my knowledge of them prior is masking my view of this.
I definitely think they did a great job with the storytelling as I was rooting for Bate even though I'm a huge Dunne mark. Plus It's got me interested in a UK show if they do it, which I was kind of against before this.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Jerusalem posted:

Slightly off-camera William Regal is sneering at him.

But secretly nodding with approval as villain recognize villain

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Pete Dunne was probably my favorite guy to watch for the whole tournament but I was so happy when Tyler Bate won because that build up was so perfect

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I've always been one for storytelling over workrate and while Dunne / Bate might have been merely a very good match (I feel like Dunne could have been more vicious), the storytelling was efficient and pitch perfect. I got to it late and almost spoiled myself trying to avoid results on the app, actually thought I'd read that Dunne had clenched it. A nice surprise.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/820799120289898496

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
The #1 thing this tournament has made me want is Regal vs Dunne and I'm gonna be really upset if that does not happen.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Capsaicin posted:

The #1 thing this tournament has made me want is Regal vs Dunne and I'm gonna be really upset if that does not happen.

Prepare to be upset because Regal has Edge Neck and can't take bumps anymore. That's probably the one reason why Regal vs. Joe never happened.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Yeah, I think the last match Regal had was back in FCW where he put over Ambrose via "beaten until unable to stand up"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

He had a match with Cesaro in NXT, but yeah he's done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

skaboomizzy posted:

Yeah, I think the last match Regal had was back in FCW where he put over Ambrose via "beaten until unable to stand up"

He put over Cesaro after that. And didn't put over Ohno.

• Locked thread