Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DNE
Nov 24, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

Is it weird that I was shocked and refreshed by a character in an anime being attracted to an pretty looking older woman?

Natsume Ono is generally refreshing in her focus on mature adults, which is one of the reasons that Ristorante Paradiso struck a chord with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This was a good ep of a good show. I love the tension that's present in almost every scene, no matter how innocuous on the surface. This is definitely my favorite of the season.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

DNE
Nov 24, 2007
So like, the gorgeous food everywhere (and constantly being given as gifts) is a thematic choice and represents political influence and corruption, right?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
every episode is a race to see exactly how rickety and rear end backwards they can make the system of governance.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Jean seems oddly influential.

I imagine the point of ACCA and the inspectors is to have a solid bureaucracy and civil servants with independent inspectors who can keep them on the straight and narrow even when a more incompetent King takes over.

But I dunno, the Council there seemed oddly keen on "Well I'm no longer getting wet I must not need this umbrella!"

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this week seemed a bit less connected from the actual events of the main story (in a sense) but i'm still coming off the high of Jean being incredibly adorable in ep3, so it's fine. Suitsu and its own little political situation was definitely interesting. i'm also glad the soundtrack still is full of pleasant surprises as we clear the first third of the show.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
good ep. good show. Luddite district was cool.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I've not been watching much anime all year and this was deffo a good choice to try and help me get back into it. It's not the best show to be watching when you've just quit smoking though, anime cigarettes look very appealing. :gonk:

The art style and design of characters took a while to get used to but the story and the fantastic music really makes up for any flaws.

Gonna have to renew my crunchy roll premium now.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

this show owns, wanna eat that food...

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This is the first *new* anime I've enjoyed since the end of Summer season, I think? Watched the four broadcasted episode over two days.
What I mean to say I don't remember when I last enjoyed an actual new IP in anime until this one.

It doesn't really have any elements I really enjoy in anime at all, but it somehow delivers this package that is enticing. The world building is actually the one thing this series has that I usually enjoy, even if it's whimsical.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
That episode was great! It opened with bread, and was bread the whole way through, and also it was compelling and had a great Jean-Nino confontation. An awfully friendly one, I expected some sort of fireworks (and also for it to not happen for a few more eps). I love this show.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

It's interesting to watch all of the political tension on Jean's side of things while Lotta is obliviously leading a culture war against the royals.
This show makes me wish I lived somewhere with a cafe.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
It's a really nice slow burn of a series.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I just burned through this and i thought it was great, but I am bummed that it appears that Jean really is clueless about what's going on and doesn't secretly have a plot within a plot.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Fellis posted:

I just burned through this and i thought it was great, but I am bummed that it appears that Jean really is clueless about what's going on and doesn't secretly have a plot within a plot.

He's not really clueless, and the lack of obsessive scheming is what makes him a fun character. The chillness is what the show is about.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've never been watching a show such that I have so little idea as to what's going on but still looking forward to each episode.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've never been watching a show such that I have so little idea as to what's going on but still looking forward to each episode.

:same:

I'm still not sure what genre I'd call this even this far in.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the political intrigue is good, but this show has made me care much more about seeing the gaggle of idiots fall over themselves trying to woo Lotta.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

dogsicle posted:

the political intrigue is good, but this show has made me care much more about seeing the gaggle of idiots fall over themselves trying to woo Lotta.

I love it. Just in terms of screen time, this show's really about bread and Lotta's suitors, with a minor coup subplot.

This show is so good! I want more now!

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I love how this episode was a defiant response to expectations that they might actually escalate the plot.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I finally caught up with this show and I'm so happy I did. This slow burn of a series is exactly what I didn't know I wanted. It's so relaxing, even when it's serious. It reminds me of the feeling Mushishi episodes gave me.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I want to live in this cozy world revolving around bread.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Well, that absolutely escalated the plot. Still super chill, though.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Helter Skelter posted:

Well, that absolutely escalated the plot. Still super chill, though.

I love how it absolutely shifted things, and yet is still being taken along at the same chill deliberate pace.

And aaaaargh, I love how solidly grounded everything is. The conversations feel real, like they have real weight to them, people talk to each other as really though like for example Otus and the guy have been friends for years and years.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Yeah im back on board, holy gently caress that was really well foreshadowed by a shitload of interactions throughout this whole show. And they did two regions in one episode to speed things along on the inspection front.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I started to suspect who Nino's boss was partway through the episode but I didn't put that info plus the parents plus the 30 years observation together until the reveal.

I'm so glad the director general isn't mad at Otus. I hope they get together in the end.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Wow that was a good ep. I didn't see it coming, but yeah, I can see the pieces now that I know the picture. I loving love this show.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I started putting things together (the broad strokes, anyway) about a minute before they came out and said it. I really like how this show is put together.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Well, I'm a bit startled after that last episode. I was not expecting anything like that. I kinda liked the idea of Jean just being a dude.

But now that I'm thinking about it, the king's love of sweets is pretty reminiscent of Lotta and the fact that he's chill as gently caress is like Jean. So yeah, I see the relation there.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
To me, the most disappointing thing about this last episode is that it confirms that there is in fact a coup plot.

Because we've seen none of the actors or proponents of such a coup, I sort of began to suspect that there was no actual coup plot and all this suspicion was kind of ACCA as a whole experience an existential crisis as to its own purpose during a time of relative peace where despite its hiccups the country was running generally OK. From there I kind of envisioned Jean's 'investigation' into the coup plot playing out like The Man who was Thursday, where all the evidence of the plot turned out to be a side effect of various efforts to undermine or investigate the plot. Which would have been pretty cool.

But this revelation really seems to point towards the coup plot being legit.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I'm pretty sure the king is planning the "coup plot" because he wants Jean to succeed him and not the princeling.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I''m pretty sure I predicted Jean's true significance a few episodes in, it made perfect sense if Nino had been observing him since childhood.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah i think the theory became really popular around episode 3 because i was hearing it pretty much wherever i went to read/listen to show discussion. didn't really think it would be a thing until they continued dropping the same subtle hints. if last week's episode didn't sell you, this one certainly beat you over the head with it before the reveal.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I tend to usually ignore fan theories for being batshit crazy, so even if I had seen it I don't think I'd have believed it. If the show was hinting it was being pretty drat subtle. I didn't suspect anything until it was straight up told to me.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
They called what is clearly an apple pie an apple cake! :mad:

They made sure to spell it out that supposedly Jean has no claim to the throne; but realistically that hasn't stopped people before, and is probably what's driving the coup plot?

I really hope Crow stays Jean's BFF. :(

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Uh, is the cake thing a joke and this is a totally serious political drama or something?

I hope not.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ranzear posted:

Uh, is the cake thing a joke and this is a totally serious political drama or something?

I hope not.

don't worry, there's plenty of lovely anime food to go with the side dishes of bureaucracy and intrigue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I say it after pretty much every episode, but aaaaaaaa I love this show! It's so chill and subtle, for everything! I hope that Nino can someday admit he actually likes Jean & Lotta, and that all my friends can eat bread and be happy.

• Locked thread