Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I think even someone who could handle themselves in a fistfight generally knows well enough to not try and start poo poo on a live charity stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

I think even someone who could handle themselves in a fistfight generally knows well enough to not try and start poo poo on a live charity stream.

Yeah and it's really not even all that offensive, especially when said to a group. It's clearly not meant to be taken personally.

Definitely not saying it was appropriate; I actually haven't even seen it because everybody is saying it's not worth watching. But "person getting so mad they stand up and physically assault the performers" hardly even happens at live sporting events.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Eh I wasn't really envisioning someone going up and knocking him out right there, but I take your point anyway. Just the idea of someone taking the mic and deliberately bad-vibesing the room during a charity event for cancer is pretty crappy though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I don't wish harm on anyone, but I wouldn't mind if the Waluigi meme was run over by a bus.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

RyokoTK posted:

I'm surprised no one in the audience went and kicked that guys rear end for telling them all to kill themselves, really.

I would be very surprised since that would actually be way weirder and surprising than the initial call out.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Samuel Clemens posted:

I don't wish harm on anyone, but I wouldn't mind if the Waluigi meme was run over by a bus.

i would really prefer if the waluigis would be quiet.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

KennyMan666 posted:

Two threads, one gdq

The other thread was more of a chat thread than anything else. There was a lot of funny shitposting and harmless jokes being made, but also a lot of people talking about their day, venting about dumb poo poo at work, and generally just being friendly towards one another. It was like going to a bar to enjoy the game. This thread served a very good purpose for well thought out discussion about a variety of topics centered around playing video games as fast as possible. I read both threads during gdq, and posted in the other one because I have no experience with speedrunning and very little to add to a discussion.

Basically, what studio said, both threads were good.

Also TBoI with curated seeds could work really well at gdq, but only if someone goes out of their way to made sure the best players together for a four way race or something. Cobalt Streak would be a good start. Also don't put it in a prime time slot, make it like mid day of day 3.

Also a room full of socially awkward, non-confrontational nerds, its unlikely to have someone want to get in a fist fight on a charity stream. I am sure most people were thinking of whatever they could do to defuse the situation, which was be quiet(er)

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I really wish they'd drop the Prevent Cancer Foundation and just do Doctors Without Borders for both events.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I really wish they'd drop the Prevent Cancer Foundation and just do Doctors Without Borders for both events.

I looked at the forums and there was talk about doing that for this year, but they acknowledged part of the problem was clearly communicating PCF's goals instead.

Though MSF would be a great one to do both, because they're well established and their goals are quite clear.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Doctor Reynolds posted:

why?

AGDQ raised about a third of PCF's operating revenue in a single week and funding early detection is important and not very sexy so it's unlikely to get large chunks of funds like AGDQ can provide. I'd rather AGDQ is a strategic partner for a charity than just another drop in the bucket like they are with MSF.

That said, I'm glad they do both.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

how the gently caress can you possibly say that after this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7Niwt_Y4ME&t=7750s

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I know it has been played to death, but I preferred the old Contra III speedruns, where we got boss fights instead of the level end glitch.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Just one, I believe. It's mostly just more proof of how good Blechy is (and yes Brossentia is good too, but come on).

In case you were wondering what that Athena game he is talking about is, it has actually been in a GDQ before!

Man, GDQs have come very far since then.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Technically throwing yourself in front of a bus is just a speedrun of life.

Taking damage..... *eyes widen in realization* ...to save time..!!

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

LLCoolJD posted:

I know it has been played to death, but I preferred the old Contra III speedruns, where we got boss fights instead of the level end glitch.
Contra 3 with warps was a donation incentive. I thought it was cool to see because that route was new to me but I don't assume it will be a regular run going forward

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
anyway the other thread worked much better as a chill liveposting chat thread and this one is the afterparty where everyone's sobering up and talking about highlights

Doctor Reynolds posted:

After all the donation comments about early detection saving lives, I'm inclined to respectfully disagree

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

I'm honestly surprised that Mike and Romscout and everyone else involved with production
Romscout hasn't been involved with organizing GDQ for a few years now, and judging from his Twitter he didn't attend.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Doctor Reynolds posted:

They did look at other charities in response to audience feedback to PCF, but weren't able to come to any working arrangement with any of the others - and they've also definitely said that they won't do the same charity for both events, so DWB for both is never happening. Matty talks about what he looked at here. PCF being able to do more international stuff, and communicating that they do, seems to be a direct result of their working with AGDQ.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

mandatory lesbian posted:

now having said that, let me tell you why big jon should run nes golf at sgdq
it's so weird that the game is even playable at that speed, but it's really just a highlight of what a bad golf game it is (you play the entire game with one club). it takes some skill but even when he tries to explain it the whole thing boils down to RNG to get a PB

TeaJay posted:

I dunno if two threads were necessary in terms of what was discussed in them, but I sure found it a lot easier to recommend runs and search for recommendations in this one. Maybe we could have a similar setup in the future as well.
It was good to have one slow thread and one fast thread, I could pretty much guarantee I would not keep up with the other one

victrix posted:

I wonder if UA and co are doing any sort of analysis to try to figure out what games, formats, and donation incentives bring in the most viewers and donations.
UA has nothing to do with selection, but the committee does make selections based on setting up blocks at given times for guaranteed appeal and makes no secret of it. You would be better served researching that on the SDA forums than here though.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I've had 2 cancer scares in the last year -- both as the result of routine X-rays. Both times the further testing came back negative.

I was pretty ambivalent about PCF before, but having your doctor say "you might have cancer" really changes how you feel about early detection and screening.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The ending recap video, now with sound

Edit: Mike "Uyama" Uyama

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 17, 2017

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I just went to the Games Done Quick YouTube channel, viewed all videos, and sorted by Most Popular. Want to guess what the most popular run so far from AGDQ 2017 is right now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NCfx4Zr0i8

Definitely not what I expected

2nd most popular so far is the OoT run, and 3rd most popular is the Dark Souls III run.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I watched the mystery race last night and it was pretty cool. Do they have their own channel for the other races they run?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

I've had 2 cancer scares in the last year -- both as the result of routine X-rays. Both times the further testing came back negative.

I was pretty ambivalent about PCF before, but having your doctor say "you might have cancer" really changes how you feel about early detection and screening.
Having your doctor tell you "it's stage III of an aggressive cancer"¹ also changes how you feel about early detection and screening.

Only problematic things for me about this GDQ was how little of it I caught live and that my donation comment seemingly got filtered² and then didn't get read.

¹) I paraphrased, doctors have better bedside manners than I do.
²) UA at least unfiltered my comment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

In the related videos was this highlight reel I'm sure :eonwe: would like

https://youtu.be/R8Y3zSY33QU

• Locked thread