Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Josh Lyman posted:

Also La La Land is obviously going win musical/comedy and would be one of the few to actually fit the category

Were you not laughing to your bones at The Martian? Or singing along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

OJ Simpson couldn't be here to accept this award.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

got any sevens posted:

That oj documentary was pretty good. Espn knows their stuff

This is not the ESPN one.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Give this to Johan son of Johan

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

How the gently caress was Drive it Like You Stole It not nominated for this?

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Jiro posted:

La La Land will win because it's about L.A. and old Hollywood so a better movie like Moonlight will get overshadowed.

I've already accept that it's going to beat Moonlight and Manchester by the Sea here and at the end of next month. It's a great movie, but those other two are a step above.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Awards season is gonna trick me into watching La La Land isn't it

also wtf is this Dog's Purpose movie

The schmaltziest movie ever.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

X-O posted:

Well I'm one of those things as well.

What's Memphis like?

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Hidden Fences lol

Viola Davis deserves this.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

I know they do this all the time, but it's still weird that she's in a supporting role. I bet if the genders were reversed in Fences, Denzel would still be up for lead actor.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

DC Murderverse posted:

someone needs to explain to me how the gently caress Dev Patel is a supporting actor in Lion because how does that even work the entire movie is about him.

Well he's only in half of it, but yeah. I guess Moonlight was another one that didn't lend itself to a leading performance.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Dev Patel is pretty drat suave. Lion is also pretty good.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Goldie Hawn working on her 3rd bottle of wine.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

DC Murderverse posted:

Ryan Gosling and Ryan Reynolds for a remake of Strange Brew.

Max Von Sydow is still kicking!

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

DC Murderverse posted:

This acts as confirmation that La La Land is going to win *everything* tonight.

Pretty much

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

X-O posted:

I've heard really good things and I'd like to see how Janelle Monae does acting. She's in Moonlight as well but I'm not sure how big of a role she has.

She gets a couple of scenes in Moonlight, but she's on screen for 10ish minutes total.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

I only saw Zootopia and Moana. They're pretty much even in my mind so this is cool I guess.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

X-O posted:

Moana had Lin Manuel Miranda songs in it and The Rock so I imagine it's better just for that. Still Kubo was a beautiful film.

I haven't seen Kubo yet, I need to rectify that. Yeah Moana is a lot of fun, but Zootopia is also top notch. It's hard to rate them against each other since Moana was more recent for me, and I had lower expectations for Zootopia so it was much more surprising.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Go see Manchester by the Sea if you want to see the saddest thing ever.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

I haven't seen any of these because I'm awful, but Paul Verhoeven owns.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

I want to get really drunk and go see The Space Between Us because it looks like the dumbest movie ever, but that would make for a very awkward movie theater experience for everyone else.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

I'm ok with you spending your entire speech dunking on Trump.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Jerusalem posted:

Look whatever your personal politics or beliefs, when Meryl Streep takes a moment to call you out on being a giant sack of poo poo it's time to reevaluate your life.

If Meryl Streep called me out for being a giant sack of poo poo, I'd just go to the nearest corner and cry until I died.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Meryl Streep is America's answer to "Anthony Hopkins."
Who else would you put on "God tier" living actor?

De Niro and Denzel are the first I think of.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Chris Pine gives the 4th best performance in Hell or High Water and he's still really great in it. Just not as good as Ben Foster, Jeff Bridges, or Diner Lady.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

I'm waiting for DDL to play a teenage girl in 1970s California and still win an Oscar.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

DC Murderverse posted:

If Meryl Streep is like Jerry Rice, then DeNiro is like Peyton Manning if he played another 10 years instead of retiring when he did.

If were using sports comparisons, DDL is Lebron because he just dunks on everyone elses performances.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

This was pretty obvious. Props to Hailee Steinfeld though.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

This is a reminder that Sing Street is on Netflix and you should watch it.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

X-O posted:

I mean, La La Land has to win this next award but if Sing Street stole I wouldn't even be mad.

It would be hard to imagine something losing picture after winning director, actor, actress, screenplay, score, and song.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

I feel like Trevante Rhodes didn't get enough recognition because that diner scene is the best poo poo I've seen all year.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Jose Fernandez might be better since he actually played in the big leagues.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

X-O posted:

Only the big Drama categories left. I actually can't choose between Washington, Affleck, and Garfield for Best Actor. They're all so good in their movies it's a tough pick. For actress I kinda think Portman might take it for Jackie but really I wouldn't be surprised by any of them winning.

I would pick Denzel every year but this year. Affleck went to another level. That said, if Denzel wins, I wouldn't be too disappointed.

For actress, I've only seen Arrival and Loving and both were real good. Plus Amy Adams is the nicest person ever.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

X-O posted:

The only Best Drama film I haven't seen is Moonlight but all of the others are good to great films. I personally liked Hell or High Water most.

Hell or High Water is on my 2nd tier of films from last year with La La Land. Manchester, Arrival, and Moonlight are my top three.

People seemed really down about last year in film, but those top 5 were all amazing.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Here's an upset

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Anything that makes Paul Verhoeven look good is fine by me.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

I am extremely down with this pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

X-O posted:

Of course it's the only one I haven't seen. I guess I know where I'm going Saturday.

I was in tears for the final third of this movie, and I in no way can relate to the main character.

• Locked thread