Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Srice posted:

Major season two is missing from the list. I'm gonna be the only one to vote for it but I demand recognition!!

You're right! It appears to be the only winter 2006 show to have started in 2005, and it thus fell through the cracks. Added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Miscellaneous 2006 anime thoughts:

Kemonozume and Welcome to the NHK are both animes I should watch, they very well might earn a place on my best list whenever I get around to them. Yuasa is always fantastic, and the few eps of NHK I've seen were very promising.

Shana and Zero no Tsukaima. Were these really as similar as they seem now? Kugimiya, tsundere, LNs... I don't know, they're practically the same series in my memory. I enjoyed both at first, but fell off after a season or two of each. Unremarkable, really.

Aria, along with not-2006-anime Hidamari Sketch, makes up the biggest whole in my SoL resume. I need to fill that hole someday.

I never watched more than the opening arc of Black Cat, and I believe it's pretty much your standard shounen fare, but I recall quite liking those handful of episodes, and making a conscious decision to watch no more. If I ever watch fight shounen again, I'll probably institute the same policy.

Higurashi was really cool and creepy at first, but then it meandered too much and took forever to come out, and I just kind of lost interest. :rip:

I've never heard of Lovedol, and it probably isn't good, but it's name reminds me of Locodol, which makes me want to know more.

Shuffle is pretty much an unremarkable VN adaptation, and it's not very good, but I'll always respect it for not going with the yandere childhood friend obvious female lead, and instead going with the cute senpai that the male lead had chemistry with. While watching, that's what I wanted, but I didn't at all expect it.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

2006 Fate is why the DEEN meme has survived so long.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I'll take you on, effortpost incoming. Other than Pokemon on kid's TV when I was like 10 and scattered popular shounen shows like Naruto which found its way even to these shores with their popularity, I first was really exposed to anime in 2005 and even then the only recently aired show I watched was Shakugan no Shana (which I thought was entertaining enough but not anything great), so 2006 was when I really started watching shows as they aired. Even if some of the shows I've soured on/got rose-tinted glasses for, I still fondly remember all the fun I had watching and talking about shows from this year and the next especially. These days I basically only read manga so it's kinda nostalgic. Still, I watched a decent bit of stuff but didn't watch a whole lot more, so obviously I can only rank what I actually did watch.

Top 5:
1: Simoun. I have a complicated relationship with Simoun, by which I mean that it's a show I have never rewatched and thus I'm relying on current me's interpretation and memories of 10 years aged impressions of this show. Even with muddled memory I can still remember several things, big and small, to criticize about it. It had a creepy subplot with the pair of sisters that I didn't like back then and I was really oblivious about that kind of poo poo at the time. The early parts has lots of stupid fanservice shots that didn't do anything to actually make it popular so they clearly did a bad job with those, and similarly a lot of the commercial-break stills (do they still do these? It feels like so long since I last saw one for a show, not that I watch a lot of anime these days. Well, I digress) were badly fanservice-y too. I mean I'm not super down on fanservice in the right place but it felt pretty out of place in Simoun. The first episode's presentation is honestly dogshit between the overload of kissing shots, being ridiculously cram-packed with technobabble and setting one of our main protagonists on a multi-episode mourning/sulking session which while perfectly understandable and human doesn't necessarily always make for great television, see: how many feel about Shinji in Evangelion. It's a pretty bad episode. Also while I like the art-style, the animation was generally pretty lacking even by 2006's standards.

So despite all this, my memories of it are ridiculously fond to the point I'd probably call it my favorite anime, and being aware that this could be a solid amount of rose-tinted glasses is part of the reason why I don't go back and watch it again to be honest. Except for the couple of as I said creepy characters and their interactions, I loved the main cast. I loved the story, and I definitely loved the ending. I remember episode 4 being the episode I really started liking the show and appreciating the things it set out to do. Plus, for teenager me, the show's handling of gender, choice in general, even war was probably real mindblowing stuff too. I don't really feel any need to revisit it and I don't really care if it holds up these days, it'll always have a special place in my memories.

2: Ouran. To be honest I probably wouldn't like Ouran as much today, much like many other series on this list! But at the time I thought it was hilarious, the MC was great, and while the guys were mostly assholes, at least they were being played as assholes intentionally and exploited for good comedy. In my memory that is - I definitely cannot remember any individual gags except the vase breaking so maybe it was actually all poo poo. Who knows! But here in list-town, my imperfect memory reigns.

3: Black Lagoon was just honest adrenaline-pumping fun. Sure ramping a boat and fighting underwater Nazis and nuns with guns are all really loving cheesy to current me (though cheesy isn't bad), but 2006 me lapped it up. One of the few shows I bet would lose very little on a rewatch too.

4: Aria The Natural was my introduction to the ARIA series, which is really soft and fluffy. Honestly I'm pretty sure everyone who likes ARIA likes it for the same reasons and it's pretty popular so just read someone else's description because this post is gonna be way too long anyway!

5: Welcome to the NHK a show I thought was very good, that sometimes grated (I remember being really loving annoyed by the opening). It could definitely be hard to watch for me which is part of what puts it this low as it could be tough to enjoy. Hell, you could probably say that the hardest stuff to watch was the best.

Honorable mentions:
Haruhi for being extreme fun to watch as it aired - while I'm not huge on either on their own these days, Haruhi and Code Geass were definitely the most fun and entertaining anime watching experiences I've had since everyone watched/talked about them, and I feel like Haruhi stands on its own a bit better. And I definitely still like it, Disappearance was a great movie too. That said, my enthusiasm for it has certainly waned, and even acknowledging some bias coming from later series copying it in style and snark if not content, I've still definitely grown less attached to several characters, and the series really hinges on finding the characters' interactions fun given its episodic nature. Sorry Haruhi, but you don't make the list!

Honey and Clover 2 partly because I can't actually remember if I watched this one or only the first season, and partly because I thought Honey and Clover was good at the time but I honestly cannot remember a single thing about it. And I can't in good conscience put something I don't remember on my list.

Renkin San-kyuu Magical? Pokaan which I'd probably dislike if I watched it now, to be honest. Maybe, I dunno. But joke's on 2016 me, because it was 2006 me who watched it and thought it was really fun, so on the 'good' mentions it goes.

xxxHolic. I strongly suspect that this eventually turned into Not Good because that's how I basically feel about all other CLAMP stuff, and I never bothered with the manga or following it past the first season of the anime. Even then I didn't feel super strongly about it, but it was fun and it had a super catchy opening so on here it goes.

Dishonorable Mention: Fate/Stay Night. I actually read all the LP of the game way back when (after this) and liked it okay, these days I definitely dislike everything to do with Fate. It'd be fun to blame it all on this adaption because it really deserves it, somehow excising basically all of the actual good parts of Fate in the process of adapting it. Not only inferior in every way, but also really boring on its own. So why only dishonorable mention? Because while I definitely wasn't a fan at the time, it did somehow hold my attention enough to actually complete it and somehow only elicited a 'meh' in response from me. And 'meh' is still (barely) better than my bottom three. That said, on a list purely based on quality rather than my subjective thoughts, it should probably switch places with my #3 on the worst list.

Worst three:

3:Familiar of Zero because it's really boring and generic, and while I wasn't a big Shana fan Louise was still basically just knock-off less interesting Shana to me at the time. Obviously they're actually pretty different characters except for that at-the-time familiar Kugimiya Rie touch, but that doesn't really change that I disliked Louise a lot. Besides that, the side-characters were all a lot more entertaining than the main pair, I thought the story and setting were both boring as hell. Saito was my first introduction to the idea of 'why do these chicks like the MC he's so loving bland and uninteresting' which...sure is a common thought even today. Honestly after ten years of far worse examples to compare him with, he doesn't even come out looking bad at all! But at the time he did and combined with me getting annoyed at the KugiRie schtick and being supremely bland and generic in every other way, I quite disliked it.

2: Strawberry Panic. Honestly, I only watched a handful of episodes, but it was insufferably melodramatic for me and had a dearth of likeable characters which is kinda needed to get invested in a show like this. It was real bad but only watching a bit of it means it can't really compete for top spot.

1: Mai-Otome. Because I was an impressionable teenager I actually quite liked Mai-Hime which I watched early in the year, even though with the wisdom of not being a teenage dumbshit I can see all the things that are bad/goofy/cheesy as gently caress about that show. Though even then I realized the ending to Hime was bullshit, I just didn't really care that much. Well, even teenage me didn't like this one, I mean the character designs were stupid as gently caress. What was wrong with regular clothes huh? It also featured way too much angst and boring stuff and I didn't care about the world, plus all the cool Hime characters were now side-characters or basically didn't even appear, but we were still constantly reminded of them hanging around off-screen while we watched their much shittier knock-offs. Booo! Somehow I watched this to completion, mostly out of inertia, the theoretical promise of something cool happening with better characters, and bad judgement. And this poo poo was 26 episodes too! It probably wasn't the worst show of the year but it definitely was bad, unlike most other poo poo I watched it, and it was also the most disappointing show of the year for me.

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 9, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

RasperFat posted:

Yeah I know but the way they edited the show it felt like forever before Shirou came around. He was less of an rear end about it in UBW it seemed like too. It was always dumb, but in the first F/SN, it was presented more like a positive character trait than a flaw to be overcome.

That's part of his character development over the three arcs, yes.

He's less of an rear end about it in UBW, and again in HA, that's the narrative

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I feel like my timeline is supremely hosed on this, I remember watching Paradise Kiss the same time as Eureka 7 and Gurren Lagann same time as NHK but neither of the formers were 2006 apparently.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
1.) Mushishi Requires no explanation.
2.) Honey & Clover S2 This one had a huge amount of emotional resonance for me, because I was having trouble with school and direction in life in the way the MC was and it was quite cathartic for me. I saw someone diss the ending, and I'd have to disagree on that one.
3.) Haruhi I don't think this needs an explanation either.
4.) Bartender One of the things I think anime & manga do really well that I don't see as much of in other mediums is a drive to share with the viewer or reader a deep passion about a specific thing. In this case it's the history of alcoholic beverages, used as a lens through which to view life's problems. Very mellow & contemplative, and not something you'd easily find anywhere else.
5.) Aria: The Natural Chill AF.

Other shows people should check out/I want to talk about :

Ayakashi: Purely on account of the final arc (it's Mononoke) and the stellar ED.
Ergo Proxy: Honestly kinda pretentious but I still love it and its OP.
Higurashi: Close to the apex of Deen QUALITY, and has problems as an adaptation, but still delivers some amazing performances.
Jigoku Shoujo
NHK
School Rumble S2 & Shuffle!: Romcoms where they don't tip their hand on who the final pairing is going to be by the end of the OP, and also ones where Best Girls win.
Simoun: The poster child for dedication to taking far-out premises and being willing to fully commit to them, even in ways that will seem strange to your viewers. On a recent rewatch I had to admit that the animation was garbage and whoever did the character designs has a forehead fetish, but I love the music, the rough-sketch backgrounds, the setting, and the straightforward presentation of ideas that will find some way to be offputting to just about everyone.

Worst: Eh, I don't really track this stuff in my memory and mostly just forget stuff. I guess Gunparade Orchestra for being an inferior and unrelated sequel to March, that I mostly recall because it was the first time I ran into a show whose subs just stopped.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not a big fan of the second half of eureka seven but i think the first half is extremely good

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Colonel posted:

i'm not a big fan of the second half of eureka seven but i think the first half is extremely good

this but the exact opposite

eureka seven takes like 10-12 episodes just to become watchable, it's just that it pays off in the long run

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'd say it takes like three episodes. after a point it gets really fantastic until like episode 25 and everything after that is pretty good but i don't think it ever quite reaches the same high again outside of a couple eps

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Of the whole list, I've only seen Fate/stay Night all the way through, and just random dub episodes of Eureka Seven.

And I'm reminded again that I should watch NHK. 'Tis a slow season, so I'll probably manage to squeeze it in.

Just remember for another ten years: People die if they are killed.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Ouran High School Host Club is the only anime I own.

Black Lagoon was also incredibly good and I just enjoy the whole concept of it, with the fantasy Singapore and the mercs and stuff.

Welcome to the NHK is on my want-to-watch list.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Noien, Eureka 7 and Kemonozume were all great.

Musashi Gundoh will forever be the anime yardstick for 'well at least it's not as bad as that'.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

I'm just going to vote Haruhi as my #1 best for 2006 and leave it at that.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I'm fairly sure that Haruhi is the only anime on that list I actually watched, and I'm fairly neutral on that one in hindsight.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There are a handful of Eureka Seven episodes that are like, Perfect Episodes of Anime. Back in those days I'd regularly rewatch them because it was the coolest poo poo. The rest of the show was generally good enough that combined with those Perfect Episodes it made for a pretty compelling experience.

I'm pleasantly surprised Higurashi hasn't cracked too many people's lists. I liked it at the time but it was a compromised adaptation in every way and should not be experienced in any way, shape, or form in the year 2017 (not when the VNs are available).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Higurashi taught anime fans that different knives had different names, so props for that.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

This is from 2005 although I thought it was from 2006, but I had never heard of it and Ill never have a chance to talk about it in any other threads:

Anyone ever watch Starship Operators? I just watched it a few weeks ago and really ended up enjoying it. Its a scifi series set in a universe where a large empire comes out of nowhere and annexes the homeworld of the heroes, which only has a navy of two capital ships. One is destroyed and the other which is filled with trainee officers on a live exercise is ordered to surrender. Instead they gently caress off, sailing away, claiming to be the government in exile of their homeworld and trying to drum up support for a war, which they end up doing by selling the rights to thier story to a news agency and letting them put cameras on their ship to livestream the war and turn themselves into a reality show.

The art and story isnt anything reat but I really enjoyed the naval battles. They were tactical in a very satisfying way. The very first encounter they have is an automated defense turret on an asteroid, which has Infinite Ammo for its mass driver because its built into an asteroid and the mass driver just keeps digging up and firing more rocks.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ievr9RSK9T0

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I can't believe it turns out AnacondaHL is my mortal enemy.

I haven't watched E7 a second time, but i love it and i bet it's still as good as my memory says :colbert:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

To be honest I agree with AnacondaHL. I watched Eureka 7 around when it came out (my college anime club watched some episodes and then I watched the rest on my own later), and I have no clue what people find so great about it. It was thoroughly "OK" in my opinion. Nothing particularly bad but also nothing that stood out at all. I had to force myself to keep watching because I got really bored with it. I feel like a lot of people may have watched it when they were first getting into anime, so something merely "pretty good" stood out a lot to them?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Never really watched a whole lot of Eureka 7 and I hated Haruhi. Black Cat is a good-rear end manga but they hosed up the sequence of events for the adaptation and I don't like it

2006 was a year in which I didn't even watch a lot of anime, but I didn't seem to miss a whole lot so

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I never watched more than two episodes of Haruhi because i still can't figure out what order they're supposed to be in.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
whatever order you want them to be in

just pick episode titles out of a hat

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The different orders are on wikipedia now, there's no excuse.

I don't know that anyone recommends anything other than broadcast order for a first viewing.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The different orders are on wikipedia now, there's no excuse.

Yeah there is. Poor labeling.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

1. Eureka Seven
I get why people hate this show and I get why people love this show, but it's still probably my favorite anime of all time. If you just take the plot, it sounds like some loving third rate Evangelion (or even Star Wars) knockoff. However, Eureka Seven just does a lot of stuff really well; to this date I don't think there's a single anime series (that ive seen) that has done worldbuilding better than it, and both the animation (3rd OP excluded) and soundtrack are top notch. I get that it doesn't really go over well with jaded 20-or-30-somethings in the "Me irl" culture, but the optimism it puts forth without being too treacly about it is really nice. It's still a great series to watch and chill. Hell, I even liked the movie. Too bad that BONES decided to George Lucas it with AO, but then again, when has a BONES sequel ever been good?

2. Black Lagoon
It's a fucken' ride. Despite not having much substance to it other than ultra-violence (that's tame in comparison to some 80's OVAs), there are few shows I've watched that consistently bring a smile to my face. I dunno what that says about me.

3. Haruhi
It's Haruhi. Had I watched it today, I probably wouldn't be so kind to it, but at the time, it was something new, something different, and something that got me to watch anime other than the Gundam-mecha-etc. shows. So congrats, Haruhi, you ruined my chances of ever being a successful normie. It also produced the Haruhi-banner fiasco on SA which is probably one of the funniest things to happen to the boards that wasn't Zybourne Clock.

4. Noein
I missed out on Noein the first time around and only saw last year, but it was still enjoyable. The quantum-mechanics psuedoscience babble kind of turned me off at first, but then i remembered that it was only a vehicle to drive the plot forward and got over my pet peeve with it. Noein had a really different art style, which is kind of nice breath of fresh air with how lazy character design has gotten without being too dated. If there's one thing I was let down by it would probably be Noein's true motives but you can tell by that late in the show the writing team was kinda grasping. I do wish that more episodes had been like the flashback episode, because that was really cool and was a lot more grounded than the rest of the series. Also, the Noein dub produced the funniest outtake Crispin Freeman has ever made.

5.Welcome to the NHK
I probably watched this a bit too early in life to empathize with the "No Job, No Money, No Social Skills" aspect of it, but it gets my vote simply for being one of the series that has managed to still be...is "Relevant" the right word to use here... after a decade. It's sort of like Crime and Punishment in that respect- I hated Dostoevsky's writing and execution of the novel but the message still somehow resonated with me. I tried rewatching it recently now that i'm in a sorta similar situation, but I just can't get through it without losing interest- partly because I already know what's gonna happen, but mostly because "wacky and/or depressing NEET antics" have been done to death in anime, and while NHK is particularly scathing in its treatment it's also not really new. Still, I remember it, which is more than I can say for something like 75% of the list.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think nhk is particularly amazing watching through it for the first time right now, but it does have an amazing op and that wins a lot of points from me

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

I feel like Binbou Shimai Monogatari was cute but I haven't watched it in 10 years and it was probably the first slice of lifey thing I ever saw. I should go back and check.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Triggerhappypilot posted:

1. Eureka Seven
I get why people hate this show and I get why people love this show, but it's still probably my favorite anime of all time. If you just take the plot, it sounds like some loving third rate Evangelion (or even Star Wars) knockoff. However, Eureka Seven just does a lot of stuff really well; to this date I don't think there's a single anime series (that ive seen) that has done worldbuilding better than it, and both the animation (3rd OP excluded) and soundtrack are top notch. I get that it doesn't really go over well with jaded 20-or-30-somethings in the "Me irl" culture, but the optimism it puts forth without being too treacly about it is really nice. It's still a great series to watch and chill. Hell, I even liked the movie. Too bad that BONES decided to George Lucas it with AO, but then again, when has a BONES sequel ever been good?

People who talk about Eureka Seven being a "knockoff" of Evangelion are missing the forest for the trees. Like, Evangelion is about how terrifying the encounter with the Other can be, then concludes in EoE that no matter how terrifying it is to have the uncrossable gap between one person's experience and another's, it's still right to have it. It tells us to be hopeful even as it declines to actually portray a hopeful future.

Eureka Seven is the natural follow-up / response to that; it's a show about how you can come to recognize something like yourself in a stranger and be a better person as a result.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Now, Rah-Xephon on the other hand... :v:

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
rewatching NHK because I'm NEET as gently caress now and yeah it basically gets it. almost as savage as the Chaos;Head VN

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

klapman posted:

rewatching NHK because I'm NEET as gently caress now and yeah it basically gets it. almost as savage as the Chaos;Head VN

Only almost? Maybe I should check that out...

I used to tell people that Welcome to the NHK was like Steins;Gate if it didn't pull its punches.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Only almost? Maybe I should check that out...

I used to tell people that Welcome to the NHK was like Steins;Gate if it didn't pull its punches.

Word of warning: I think the VN is good enough that I've read it twice, but if I remember right the fan TL installation instructions are from the worst sort of channer. They're kind of arcane and strange and it took me ages to get it running all while the program called me a loving moron idiot. I totally consider it worthwhile, but it can be very frustrating. I've just left it installed on my PC ever since so I don't have to bother anymore. :)

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

1. Kemonozume
I watched Kemonozume after falling in love with Ping Pong: The Animation and becoming curious about the director, Yuasa.

It is a strange and beautiful dream to watch. Tragic and funny, it is a show I would recommend it to any anime fan. It has entered the pantheon of shows that I rewatch on an annual basis. Fantastic.

Unranked:

Black Lagoon
Kind of merges in my mind with Jormungand and I’m not really sure what set pieces were from which. All I remember is kickin’ rad action and hilariously over the top characters. Good fun.

Ouran High School Host Club
Bunch of cuties, if I do recallllll.

Look, I’m Sorry, Okay? I Can’t Try To Watch Them Again. I Tried. You Must Go On. I Can’t Go On. I’ll Go On
I had a crack, but have not been able to get into either Haruhi or Mushishi, but goddammit I will eventually commit to watching those shows through. Hyouka took me ages to get into as well, and that ended up being one of my favourite shows. Same with Kino's Journey. So I refuse to surrender this anime hill. I may even have another shot because of this thread.

Man, 2006 was pretty good for anime film by the way: Paprika, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Tekkonkinkreet!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Best Anime

1. Simoun

One of my favorite anime for its nuanced look at its themes, it's optimistic tone, and, yes, the girls kissing. It's a little melodramatic at points, but on the whole it's a genuinely good and interesting look at the conflict of using religious artifacts in warfare, along with...gah, everything. It's just - it's interesting and I love it, and forgive its flaws. (Its flaws are the opening set of episodes being kind of slow to watch, but it's all worth it.) Also, shout-out to that amazing ending.

2. Ayakashi - Samurai Horror Tales - Specifically Bake Neko.
I cried. I sobbed. It's one of the best tragedies/horror stories I've ever seen, and it ruined the rest of Mononoke for me. Honestly it's probably best in overall quality than Simoun, but I don't dissect it the way I do Simoun so it takes a second ranking. Absolutely incredible, though.

.... And I don't have anything else for the best list! Mushihi or Eureka Seven should probably go here, but I haven't seen/finished them, so! I would like to shout out to Kyou kara Maou for being dumb fluffy fun, and .hack//roots for being one heck of an interesting flawed experience that I liked.

Worst Anime

1. Zatch Bell

gently caress the people who made this. gently caress my brother for loving it as only a younger brother can. gently caress it for being so ugly and unfunny and aaghghghgh so many annoyed memories associated with this one. May it rot in the pits of Anime Hell.

2. Higurashi no Naku something something
I tried the anime and visual novel, saw how highly recced they were, and....no. A lot of tedious slice of life nonsense juxtaposed with jarringly unpleasant horror sequences. I couldn't finish either, and of course there's no coherent plot summary on the internet anywhere so I can find out how it all ends. :mad:

3. Ergo Proxy
This is a real tentative entry, but I remember being real mad at it back in the day: cool sci-fi setting, interesting mystery, and then the main character left the city and the plot got real boring real fast. I suppose someday I'll come back to find out how it ends, but oh man, I was not thrilled with going from cyberpunk city to brown wasteland.

Runners-up: Night Head Genesis was so boring an interesting premise went to waste, Hell Girl for being so unpleasant, and Noein for being interesting but having a brand of drama that I couldn't stomach.

...So in the end, 2006 was a good year for anime, crimes against older sisters aside. What it lacked in the amount of anime it made up for in the sheer quality of what it had. And yes, yes, I know I need to see Ouran.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADKfrKhTvlI

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:getout:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

AnacondaHL posted:

So guess what? My opinion is that the show sucks! Main character sucks a big suck, story sucks, main girl mostly sucked, the couple (names forgotten) were the best characters albeit in a minor role, and this show especially sucks for having such loving awesome music tied to it while sucking so hard. Also :lol: at AO, your sucky series deserved its sucky sequel!

I felt the same, although I only picked it up in 2008 when I had time to watch and curiosity was getting the better of me. Everyone swore up and down it was good and how "the character development is so good!" but the whole time it was just everyone yelling at each other and being sullen like it was a horrible family roadtrip from hell. And then it ends with something something merge existence destroy humanity but teen with gundam saves the day.

Also iirc wasn't Eureka gone for like half of the anime? I remember being interested in main boy and her's relationship but then she's kidnapped for the rest of the anime before anything happens and we're back to watching verbally abusive rear end in a top hat lead of the good guys yell at both main boy and slightly older girl who likes abusive leader for the rest of the series.

And the only other saving grace of the show, the whole counter-culture surfer feel, was threadbare. Surfing on trapers ended up being like something only Gekkostate ever did and even then, why would they do something so risky with giant military robots when the actual military is out there looking to kill them? The whole thing only ever seemed to serve as the lure to sucker main boy up to Gekkostate before he finds out leader guy just likes to tell people how much he hates everything. You don't ever see them surfing ever again and you don't really see anyone else in the rest of the world caring or buying their weird magazine that gets published somehow in the police state military government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I'm gonna do a weird list of ones I remember liking a whole bunch to put as best, ones I remember enjoying but not much else, and ones I did not like.

Best Anime

1) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
I still have a spot in my heart for this and the movie. Not season 2 or the Yuki spin off though. Bleaugh.

2) Nerima Daikon Brothers
I super enjoy this one and I can't explain why. I think it's the money lending song...

Anime I remember liking/Honorable Mentions

Honey and Clover Season 2 - I don't remember much of this show but I remember it being kind of nice seeing college anime kids since I was in college at the time haha
School Rumble Season 2 - I remember it went way in on the "Harry McKenzie" joke
Kashimashi - I liked this up until the end but then that got fixed in the OVA iirc so I liked it more
Yakitate Japan - We would go to Panera before watching this in anime club

Anime I remember not-liking much/Dishonorable Mentions

XXXholic/Tsubasa Chronicle season 2 - This one seemed to have an interesting premise but somewhere along the lines I realize I really did not care about anything that was going on in it aside from liking the opening theme song and wishing I was watching a different CLAMP show.

Worst Anime

Tonagura - Me and anime pals watched this years back. We mostly remember it as gross and having a stupid line in the opening with the words " DEAR BOYFRIEND" in English

Good Listener fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jan 16, 2017

• Locked thread