Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

moths posted:

Slave Ogryn seem cool as heck. It's a shame they only printed like twelve sets of cards and they all sold out.

I am so glad the new house books have a list of all the card rules in them. Getting the physical cards for anyone is impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I didn't know! That's fantastic, thanks.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I am so glad the new house books have a list of all the card rules in them. Getting the physical cards for anyone is impossible
Slave Ogryn tactics are only in the deck.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Robert Facepalmer posted:

:rip:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What a rollercoaster. Glad I didn't order the gang yet.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

I am sure it would be fairly easy to find :filez: if you were so inclined.

That and I can count on a shop teacher's hand the number of times I have played a game of N17/18/20 that used any tactics cards.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

It wouldn't be a valid Necromunda release without missing/incorrect information.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

So poking around my local scene, it looks like Underworlds, Warcry and Necromunda have at least some presence here, which is nice. I already had some plans for Necromunda, but I'm kinda intrigued by Underworlds / Warcry - in both cases I'd like to throw together a Nighthaunt warband, maybe even with an eye towards expanding them into an actual AoS force at some point.

What would I actually need to buy? In the case of Underworlds it looks like the only option is the Nightvault core set, which I guess is fine since I'd get a rulebook, playmat, cards, and another warband I could loan out. Warcry has its own warband that doesn't overlap at all, miniature-wise. From what little I've heard, the minis are in unique configurations specific to the games and can't really be messed with, right? So if I wanted to try those games out I'd have to buy both?

And how do the "installments" for Underworlds work? Some of the wording on the product pages makes them sound like they're almost separate games that rotate out - is the Nightvault set obsolete now or something?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I typed a bunch of stuff about Underworlds, but honestly you're better off just reading this Goonhammer article.

I've gotten into Underworlds this year and while I'm a terrible player who doesn't fully understand how to build a good deck, it's a lot of fun to play, is quick, and I really like just picking up a new warband to work on for a project that doesn't entail painting like 200 goblins or whatever. Underworlds has my recommendation, for what that's worth!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

So poking around my local scene, it looks like Underworlds, Warcry and Necromunda have at least some presence here, which is nice. I already had some plans for Necromunda, but I'm kinda intrigued by Underworlds / Warcry - in both cases I'd like to throw together a Nighthaunt warband, maybe even with an eye towards expanding them into an actual AoS force at some point.

What would I actually need to buy? In the case of Underworlds it looks like the only option is the Nightvault core set, which I guess is fine since I'd get a rulebook, playmat, cards, and another warband I could loan out. Warcry has its own warband that doesn't overlap at all, miniature-wise. From what little I've heard, the minis are in unique configurations specific to the games and can't really be messed with, right? So if I wanted to try those games out I'd have to buy both?

And how do the "installments" for Underworlds work? Some of the wording on the product pages makes them sound like they're almost separate games that rotate out - is the Nightvault set obsolete now or something?

Warcry and Underworlds warbands are separate, yes. The Underworlds warbands are 3 - 9 unique models with cards specific to that warband.

There's only two universal card sets active in a season, with the older set rotating out when a new set arrives. The Nightvault universal cards will rotate out in December when the new set (Direchasm) arrives. You can still use the old warbands and warband specific cards. I'd recommend buying Beastgrave if you want the rules, playmat and so on (or wait for Direchasm), since the universal cards are valid for at least another year. You can buy the Nightvault Nighthaunt warband separately if you want, but note that they stop making them when "their" edition rotates out, so buy them sooner rather than later.

Of course all of this is only a thing if the local scene actually follows the official rules.

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 9, 2020

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The Underworlds Nighthaunt minis are perfectly applicable to Warcry, but they will need some reinforcements to make a good and satisfying warband.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That and I can count on a shop teacher's hand the number of times I have played a game of N17/18/20 that used any tactics cards.

Yeah it's probably not really a big deal but I hate owning "incomplete" stuff like this. That's basically par for the course now, though - no way I'm buying a splat book for every house gang.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

moths posted:

Yeah it's probably not really a big deal but I hate owning "incomplete" stuff like this. That's basically par for the course now, though - no way I'm buying a splat book for every house gang.

Exactly. The cards alone add up to a colossal amount of money.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Exactly. The cards alone add up to a colossal amount of money.

Especially when GW won't print enough cards that they don't sell out in a few hours of preorders, I'd say just print those suckers and glue them on common Magic cards in sleeves.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Winklebottom posted:

There's only two universal card sets active in a season, with the older set rotating out when a new set arrives. The Nightvault universal cards will rotate out in December when the new set (Direchasm) arrives. You can still use the old warbands and warband specific cards. I'd recommend buying Beastgrave if you want the rules, playmat and so on (or wait for Direchasm), since the universal cards are valid for at least another year. You can buy the Nightvault Nighthaunt warband separately if you want, but note that they stop making them when "their" edition rotates out, so buy them sooner rather than later.
This is good advice. The other thing you need to look into is how your community plays WHU - are you going to be doing casual games with friends? Or is your community more competitive, and if so, are they casual competitive (i.e. are they cool with you just printing out cards to make a deck that will actually allow you to play with them) or are they rear end in a top hat levels of competitive (i.e. they're going to flip the table if you show up and throw a printed card down because you didn't want to spend $35 for a warband to get a single card)?

Personally, I really like WHU, but I think it has a punishing release schedule combined with yearly set rotation and I think a lot of players are nearing burnout. If you're in a competitive environment and don't print your cards, you'll wind up spending upwards of $350+ per year, which isn't a ton of money in GW terms, but when you consider that you're probably not going to play every single warband you buy, and the fact that in two years, your warband(s) will be functionally underpowered in a competition game, it can be a bit much.

TBH, I wish that at the end of each season, GW would put out the full card set for that season without models - reward the players who want to spend the money to keep up with the meta for that year, but allow people who just want to have fun an opportunity to be competitive for the upcoming season. I'd pay $50 - $60 for the universals so I don't have to buy warbands that don't appeal to me.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Yeah I really want to get into WHU but the rate of release and wrangling the cards makes it really hard for me.

If the PC game was better I’d be all in on that :(

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I got really lucky and found a guy unloading both Shadespire and Nightvault with all the warbands (unpainted!) quite cheaply on our Craigslist equivalent. Otherwise yeah, I would probably have stalled a bit as well.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Maybe a dumb question but how do pick-up games of Necromunda work? It sounds like it's built for long-term campaigns where you you are slowly leveling up dudes and buying gear, etc., so is it a game where I could pick up a gang, show up at a store that runs games, and just hop in, or would it operate on a sort of "league" system that I'd have to catch at the beginning?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just found a Necromunda Underhive for super cheap at a half price books, complete in box. Now to decide if I wanna keep it or sell it...

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Maybe a dumb question but how do pick-up games of Necromunda work? It sounds like it's built for long-term campaigns where you you are slowly leveling up dudes and buying gear, etc., so is it a game where I could pick up a gang, show up at a store that runs games, and just hop in, or would it operate on a sort of "league" system that I'd have to catch at the beginning?

Playing a campaign and building up alliances and grudges is the funnest part of the game. Each time you play your game improves a small amount but you're also taking casualties and dealing with injuries. If you're playing pick up games you would simply make a starting gang (I think about 1000 creds worth?) and try not to include anything too over the top dickish.

In my experience, when players have dropped into a campaign, even halfway through, they can still be very competitive, and there is an underdog system for getting extra tactics cards for points disparities. Don't underestimate how useful tactics cards are, and how they can be used to theme your gang. They can support your strong points, respond to the strength of an opponent, or create an ongoing joke (like my penchant for monster lures). Also don't mistake technology for power in necromunda. All the gangs are very strong, including low tech gangs like Cawdor.

At the moment, at my local club, we're having a break from the campaign with a series of pick up games with starter gangs.

So, to recap:

Make a starter gang.
Yes you can make a gang and show up halfway through a campaign and the rules will give you extra underdog stuff to help you out and you won't suck either.

extra points
Bodies are better than toys early on. Have a look at tactics cards. All gangs are good in different ways.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

xutech posted:

Playing a campaign and building up alliances and grudges is the funnest part of the game. Each time you play your game improves a small amount but you're also taking casualties and dealing with injuries. If you're playing pick up games you would simply make a starting gang (I think about 1000 creds worth?) and try not to include anything too over the top dickish.

In my experience, when players have dropped into a campaign, even halfway through, they can still be very competitive, and there is an underdog system for getting extra tactics cards for points disparities. Don't underestimate how useful tactics cards are, and how they can be used to theme your gang. They can support your strong points, respond to the strength of an opponent, or create an ongoing joke (like my penchant for monster lures). Also don't mistake technology for power in necromunda. All the gangs are very strong, including low tech gangs like Cawdor.

At the moment, at my local club, we're having a break from the campaign with a series of pick up games with starter gangs.

So, to recap:

Make a starter gang.
Yes you can make a gang and show up halfway through a campaign and the rules will give you extra underdog stuff to help you out and you won't suck either.

extra points
Bodies are better than toys early on. Have a look at tactics cards. All gangs are good in different ways.

That's great to hear! I was worried about showing up and just getting steamrolled with no way to get a foothold.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

xutech posted:

So, to recap:

Make a starter gang.

extra points

So I don't quite agree with this. There are some mechanisms in the game to accelerate the growth of smaller, Underdog gangs/players. But no amount of cards will give a 1k starter gang an even chance against a mid/late campaign 3k gang.

Advice point 1 is to speak to your arbitrator (ie campaign organiser) about starting your gang at a higher credit level than normal. When taking on new players mid-campaign I have usually agreed a limit that sets them just below the campaign average. So they get a bit of a sense of catching up, but it's not insurmountable. There isn't any real power difference between a 2k gang made from scratch and a 2k gang that's grown from 1k in a campaign. Indeed, since skills/stats gained raise your fighters' 'value' by a notional amount that's quite high, and stats decreased by injury don't give a corresponding discount, you could say a fresh gang has some advantages over an experienced one.

Second, when fighting larger/more powerful gangs you need to play to it. Pick scenarios (if you can) that play to your strengths, e.g. you only have 5 models available, so you choose a scenario with max Crew size D3+3, so your opponent can't use 10 models against you. Pick Underdog cards and tactics cards that reward you or work well with your gang, use them early and be prepared to Bottle Out instead of fighting to the death, you are more likely to get away without being badly mauled and you let your cards reward you rather than focusing on a scenario objective which may be impossible.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Sure, but I don't want to add too much info about alliance rolls, etc. I'm writing for someone who might turn up at the local game store for an evening game. A good helicopter DM should be willing to help such a new player and give them a boost.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

xutech posted:

Sure, but I don't want to add too much info about alliance rolls, etc. I'm writing for someone who might turn up at the local game store for an evening game. A good helicopter DM should be willing to help such a new player and give them a boost.

Didn't mean to pick apart your points - I agree it's best to throw yourself in and a newer gang can definitely catch up. Just if you want to do really well, it helps to have a certain mindset. You're not there to smash the opponent's gang, but to leverage your under dog cards and then break contact. That's its own sort of fun, but too much of a gulf in gangs' size/power can be annoying.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The points about picking the right scenario are really important. I strongly feel one of the new game’s weaknesses compared to Old Munda is that the chance of the Underdog picking the scenario isn’t skewed in their favour much (if at all) whereas it used to be quite significant. It meant that choice of scenario was a massive balancing factor that the Underdog would probably get.

I would consider adding an Underdog rule that said something along the lines of “spend underdog credits in full or partial units of 200: for each, the underdog may modify the scenario table roll by +/-1”

I would happily give up some of my underdog tactics cards or hired gun picks to have more control over the picked scenario

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 11, 2020

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Just found a Necromunda Underhive for super cheap at a half price books, complete in box. Now to decide if I wanna keep it or sell it...

The tiles are definitely worth keeping if you ever want to play.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Finally finished Zarbag's Gitz! I need to get a proper lighting/photo setup as these pics seem to be getting worse and worse. Also, I will never paint another mushroom so long as I shall live.

Edit: I would also invite people to post their warbands, I feel like I never see any posted anymore.

Vulpes Vulpes fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 11, 2020

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

The tiles are definitely worth keeping if you ever want to play.

With all the hassle I'm going through right now of making my own tiles, this.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I bought several sets of the tiles when eBay was flooded with them and didn't hold on to them. :argh:

thocan
Jan 18, 2014
There's an auction with zero bids up on eBay right now for the tiles, 63 bucks shipped. I'm a little too deep into making my own at this point, figured I'd post in case anyone wants them. I just searched for necromunda underhive and found them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

I wish the Kroot Kill Team rules weren't apparently like the worst ones in the game because I always liked their models a lot but have zero desire to play Tau. Maybe someday...

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

I wish the Kroot Kill Team rules weren't apparently like the worst ones in the game because I always liked their models a lot but have zero desire to play Tau. Maybe someday...

Same. Would be a great little project to mess around with, but the list is almost unbelievably shallow.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Just kidding.

Is there a KT-like way to play in the new 40K rulebook, or am I mistaken? I haven't bothered to crack my Indomitus copy open yet.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm trying to find a SRS BIZNESS (or at least "in-universe serious") way to make an Enforcer Necromunda team with an acronym* of "ACAB". Of course I could always just have the leader's name be "Captain Acab" but :shrug:. Any ideas?

*: Initialism, :actually:

E:

berzerkmonkey posted:

Just kidding.

Is there a KT-like way to play in the new 40K rulebook, or am I mistaken? I haven't bothered to crack my Indomitus copy open yet.

I think there's Combat Patrol which is 500-point but it's detachment-based so you could still be looking at vehicles (of course, this can be avoided via a gentleperson's agreement that you don't bring anything with Toughness >X or Wounds >Y) but then you're looking at a lot lot more bodies than you would otherwise be. You could also set the points value arbitrarily low but in that case remember that you're still playing toward/against primary and secondary objectives which assuming about 500 points per side and they may be unfeasible at these lower point values?

TL;DR you might be better served by just using KT if you want really small-scale skirmish rules than by trying to make 40k fit?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 12, 2020

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Schadenboner posted:

I'm trying to find a SRS BIZNESS (or at least "in-universe serious") way to make an Enforcer Necromunda team with an acronym* of "ACAB". Of course I could always just have the leader's name be "Captain Acab" but :shrug:. Any ideas?

I really like that idea.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Altered Cyborg Alien Brotherhood

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

Don't be cheeky, be direct. Just make them Necromunda black bloc that beat some Palatinites and stole their gear.

Kitbash them to look like people wearing partial Enforcer gear, using parts from other gangs, Chaos or GS cultists, or Imperial Guard. Sculpt bullet holes and dents in their gear, and just paint it all as vandalized with stuff like ACAB.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Annointed Cultist Apprehending Brigade

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Get some pig-man heads and make donuts out of little elastic bands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012