Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I would like to paint things in 54mm, but you do get way less stuff to work with. It mostly seems to be for vanity projects like special display figures and stuff.

I don't think Inquisitor would have survived even if it was 28mm, but 54mm sure didn't help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Cities of Death and Zone Mortalis are some of the best ways to play hams, especially if you don't bring many/any of the "I just remove your poo poo" units.

I do have to say that the new Planetary Onslaught book is shiiit and basically reduces Cityfight/Cities of Death to mission templates.

God I hate that book.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just built the new Blood Bowl dwarf team and I've just got to say that these are probably some of the best dwarf models GW has ever made. There are some great details like the blitzer's gut hanging out of his shirt. Can't really tell behind the beard though. :v: My one issue was that the bare-headed slayer head didn't quite fit right and needed some minor gap filling. That may have been on me, everything else was flawless.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

I would like to paint things in 54mm, but you do get way less stuff to work with. It mostly seems to be for vanity projects like special display figures and stuff.

I don't think Inquisitor would have survived even if it was 28mm, but 54mm sure didn't help.

The ruleset was basically DoA unless you were determined to make it provide fun "galactic grimdark space detetive super agent" games. Really determined.
Frankly Dark Heresy provides (provided?) a better alternative now anyway for that stuff, as do a few other options to lesser or greater degrees, although I've yet to see a true 1:1 replacement which actually does a good job of creating a game that is not poo poo, but captures the actual feel of being an intergalactic space cop that blows up planets every other tuesday. Plenty that come close now though, thankfully.

54mm is a nice scale to practice painting with and there are many non-GW sources (some of which are arguably better, some of which are absolutely clearly better) for stuff to build and paint (and convert, if you really want to).

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

mcjomar posted:

The ruleset was basically DoA unless you were determined to make it provide fun "galactic grimdark space detetive super agent" games. Really determined.
Frankly Dark Heresy provides (provided?) a better alternative now anyway for that stuff, as do a few other options to lesser or greater degrees, although I've yet to see a true 1:1 replacement which actually does a good job of creating a game that is not poo poo, but captures the actual feel of being an intergalactic space cop that blows up planets every other tuesday. Plenty that come close now though, thankfully.

54mm is a nice scale to practice painting with and there are many non-GW sources (some of which are arguably better, some of which are absolutely clearly better) for stuff to build and paint (and convert, if you really want to).

TBH I would hardly say Inquisitor captured the feel of being a space cop who blows up planets as a matter of course.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Inquisitor is about being rogue cops fighting other rogue cops.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

Inquisitor is about being rogue cops fighting other rogue cops.

~a loose cannon, living on the edge~

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Specifically, it's Inquisitor-on-Inquisitor violence as they disagree on which ancient conspiracy on Emperor's fatr is correct. Someone might even be declared double heretic.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
To be fair you can also have admech dudes, genestealer cults, chaos cults, xenos cults, recidivists and revolutionaries, low level daemons, witches, mutants, arbites, the occasional space marine, titan crews, knight pilots, planetary leaders/governors, scum scoundrels rogues thieves gangers, rogue traders, starship crew, traitors, radicals, astropaths, navigators, guardsmen, navy troops, air crew, assassins, death cultists, and a shitload of other character types i haven't thought of or heard of yet.

Just look at anything John Blanche does if you're lost for ideas or creativity.

It's just that everyone wants to be eisenhorn or ravenor or whatever so that's pretty much all you see.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I dunno, the fluff at the begining of the book and the title Inquisitor: Battle for the Emperor's Soul suggests an Inquisitorial bent.

I have been reading Nu Ork and the sheer amount of specialties make me uneasy. Like, at least a few of them are just variations of a theme, and when you build a team from multiple races and specialties, poo poo should get out of hand.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One of GWs many screwups in writing books.
An inquisitor comes into conflict with an awful lot more than other space cops. You only need to read Abnett's work to see that in action. Or Ian Watson's inquisition war. There's a lot of sources for stories outside of just internecine conflicts. But you're totally right when you accuse GWs poor organisation and writing of sending the wrong message to the readers.
A lack of clarity is one more issue with those rules. It needs an editor armed not just with shears or even a lawn mower. We're talking the use of an industrial grade combine harvester to clear out the junk.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Safety Factor posted:

I just built the new Blood Bowl dwarf team and I've just got to say that these are probably some of the best dwarf models GW has ever made. There are some great details like the blitzer's gut hanging out of his shirt. Can't really tell behind the beard though. :v: My one issue was that the bare-headed slayer head didn't quite fit right and needed some minor gap filling. That may have been on me, everything else was flawless.

My bare head slayer didn't fit as well as all the other models either - nothing really bad but it was noticeable.

Do you have any idea whats going on with the runners face? One of the eyes in the helmet is covered up and the other isn't. Going by the painted team the covering is part of the helmet but it looks weird to me.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

JcDent posted:

I have been reading Nu Ork and the sheer amount of specialties make me uneasy. Like, at least a few of them are just variations of a theme, and when you build a team from multiple races and specialties, poo poo should get out of hand.

Yeah, this is definitely the main issue I have had with it. It helps if you keep to one or two races and don't feel compelled to give everyone different jobs.

Making little Stat cards for each guy in your gang is ace.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

+1 this. Just put them together today and while I have opinions about hoverbeard technology the slayers are using the sculpts are great and the cad design to make the parts is excellent. The bare slayer head version needs green stuffing though (can just make two helmeted versions to avoid this) but otherwise a really good box of dwarves. GW made something good :psydwarf:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kore_Fero posted:

GW made something good :psydwarf:
Truly, the sign that the End Times are upon us.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

mcjomar posted:

I thought Inq28 was literally just the core Inquisitor ruleset, but just with the ranges changed to account for the smaller scale?
Or are you referring to Inquisimunda where it's apparently just an acolyte or weedy Interrogator in charge, rather than a full inquisitor (which doesn't really work for me, but whatever floats your space mans boat I guess).

I guess Inquisimunda is more what I'm going for, since I'd rather play Necro with a lovely band of weirdos than go full-narrative and ditch gang values and points costs.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I have a very important question/request:

My GF is interested in learning Blood Bowl since I have been playing it a lot lately. What's the cutest range of miniatures I could base a BB team conversion on?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I have a very important question/request:

My GF is interested in learning Blood Bowl since I have been playing it a lot lately. What's the cutest range of miniatures I could base a BB team conversion on?
I mean, you could probably build a skaven team out of those mousling models, but they'd all die horribly what with being a skaven team and all.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Black_Nexus posted:

Looks like a new version of blood bowl 2 is coming out, was announced today. 8 New races.

Also for some picture content, a team I converted this week to play some tabletop blood bowl with. Still gotta flock them and such.

Those guys are fantastic

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Safety Factor posted:

I mean, you could probably build a skaven team out of those mousling models, but they'd all die horribly what with being a skaven team and all.

I considered this but the issue with swapping hands and cutting out weapons was too much effort. Also size wise they'd probably work much better as Dwarves.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Safety Factor posted:

Women like swarms of things, right?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

:shrug:

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

If you're looking for adorable, how about this line of various anthro-adventurers?
http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/shop/index.php/miniatures/visions-in-fantasy-critters.html
I have a couple lying around unpainted, they're the best.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Women like swarms of things, right?
What are you trying to say here?

Blood Bowl has a max of 16 models and only 11 can be on the field at once. That's hardly a swarm.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Safety Factor posted:

What are you trying to say here?

Blood Bowl has a max of 16 models and only 11 can be on the field at once. That's hardly a swarm.

It's a Futurama quote. I just thought it was a good fit, meant nothing by it.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's a Futurama quote. I just thought it was a good fit, meant nothing by it.
:shrug: I had to look it up. Sorry.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Safety Factor posted:

:shrug: I had to look it up. Sorry.

Not everyone can base their identity on TV quotes.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'd give an another vote for mouselings, they're super cute, oh my God.

DnD 5e should have given me the option of being a cute anthropomorfic mouse instead of dragonborn or whatever.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Eh, apparently she wants to play Wood Elves so zzzzz.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

At least she has made a choice that she will be able to win with!

War Dancers :argh:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Lord_Hambrose posted:

At least she has made a choice that she will be able to win with!

War Dancers :argh:

I of course play Dark Elves

stabstabstabstab

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

I used these for pro/wood elves

Shadowforge miniatures

Be aware that 95% of their stuff is awful and looks like blowup doll hookers (In fact they have a line of Blow-Up Doll Zombies). The helmets are what make these passable. You have been warned.

Though if she has a really robust sense of humor she may find the [Playboy] Bunny team a funny option.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Cross post!

The Sex Cannon posted:

I finished my first 6 Orc Blood Bowl Players!

I really love these models. Some of the best work I've ever done. Interestingly enough, I find checks to be a lot easier to paint than dags! I though it would be the other way around!

The emblem on their chest plates is a freehand orky maw with red fangs, as the team is called Da Red Fangz. I think the Blitzer is my favorite.

6 down, 10 to go!

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Those are gorgeous. I love the yellow theme on orks.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
Been digging through Epic/Space Marine/etc at work, trying to get it all identified. Does anyone know what this is?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Acolyte! posted:

Been digging through Epic/Space Marine/etc at work, trying to get it all identified. Does anyone know what this is?

It's an Ordinatus:

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Worth ~$40 on eBay. Nice find.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

What he meant to say was it's worth jack poo poo, but I'll give you $5 for it :v:

(nice find, jammy sod)

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
Thanks for the quick response! Going through the Epic has been tough because there's so much of it and aside from the box bottoms/sides and a partial wiki it can be difficult to figure out what everything is since they're so small and often don't look like the contemporary 40k units (I also don't play 40k, so that's a stumbling block too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

The Sex Cannon posted:

Cross post!

6 down, 10 to go!

that bright yellow and the checker pattern is just mwah. bellissimo!