Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Its been a week since you all signed the Chained Lady’s contract. A week spent preparing and resupplying for what lies ahead. Unfortunately the Shackled Court had precious little information on Honor’s End, but arrangements had been made with the enclave of Under-Kasha to house you while you tackled retaking the keep.

Today finds you aboard the Kasirutan clipper Father’s Disappointment, the cliffs of Gifar drawing close. Her captain, a surly woman named Azura Kambal, has been openly ignoring the six of you since you came aboard. The cold autumn winds have whipped up the seas, although when the ship begins to rock too much witchfire appears on the captain’s brow and the winds calm.

Captain Kambal

The cliffs loom above you, the sprawling remnants of a manor-house at the top. Orders are shouted and acknowledged, and the clipper comes about to reveal an opening in the cliff face. It seems the builder of the Kasha manor disliked to see the hustle and bustle of the staff, and located the storage areas, sleeping quarters, and support buildings in a convenient sea-cave below. Now it is a safe haven from the husks and abominations.

The dock is just outside the cave entrance, and Father’s Disappointment arrives with a thump. A collection of folks in ragged clothes are on the docks, and a happy murmur goes up. Above them, standing on a dock piling, is a pale woman in a robe of a foreign cut. Around her is a handful of unsavory sorts, sporting rough armor and clubs. She pushes back her hood, and you that she’s not just pale, she’s the color of fresh snow. She speaks, and her honied tones hushes the crowd.

Seriously pale

“You see Kantiba Senai, Auntie sends us supplies and heroes, just as I said she would.” An older man in the crowd scowls at this. “You all needed food and clothes to survive the coming winter, and who provided them? The knights? The Church? The High Negus? I did! Who loves you!”
A chant picks up from the crowd. “Niece! Niece! Niece!” The pale woman lets it go for a minute before quieting them.
“Now good people, let’s make way for the crew to do their work and I must welcome the heroes personally.” She steps off of the piling and floats to the railing of the clipper. She smiles at you all, and you can feel the cold of Night sucking at your reserves of power. “Greetings noble heroes! While I have yet to earn my proper title, the fine folks here call me The Niece. I have set aside quarters for you until you are able to complete your task, and I am happy to answer questions.” She motions towards the cave entrance. “Shall we adjourn to somewhere warmer?”

Moru: As you scan across the crowd on the dock, you notice fewer symbols of the One and Church folk-charms among the charms and protectives most wear nowadays. Most seem to sport charms in the shape of a pale figure, arms outstretched.

Kohath: As the clipper settles at the dock, its motion throws you against one of the sailors. “You are not alone My Lady” a voice whispers in your ear, and you feel a small parcel being dipped into your sash. When you’ve recovered your footing, the sailor is nowhere to be seen.

Sarah: As welcoming as this Niece creature is being, her thugs/bodyguards are definitely giving you all the hairy eyeball. While you have them outclassed, they aren’t the sort to fold easily.

Illo: You’ve heard of this Niece. While not as personally powerful as most of the Uncreated of Bakare, she’s ambitious in ways that makes even the inner Court nervous.

Masresha: A bit of motion catches your eye. Hanging from a crossbar just inside the cave is a gibbet, the iron bars holding a slumped form. A tabard waves in the breeze, a stained knightly crest partially visible.

The Warmaker: You can see into the cave mouth, and while a fair number of torches are scattered about, most of Under-Kasha is lit with a pale white light. Etherlamps, larger than any you’ve seen outside of the Republic.

The Niece is Uncreated, and has a Cold Breath value of 2. So any Effort Committed in her presence needs an additonal 2 before the gift activates
++++
Please link your character sheets in your post.
Names Gsheet

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

It was quite the experience, I had never had a welcoming party. The fact that they don't seem to view the One as the most important factor in their life is kinda of obvious considering the being right in front of us. People pray to what will give them peace. The One sure as hell has not been that in the last five years. I hope Lady Maserha doesn't notice, it seems like something that she would lose her mind about.

"Miss Niece, what exactly is attacking the keep?" I figure we might as well get down to business, plus it seems like getting everyone focused will keep the chaos down to a minimum.

quote:

pre:
Attribute         Modifier        Attribute Check
Strength-19       +4                       2 (Might-Boost 8)
Dexterity-16      +2                       5 (Alacrity-Boost 10)
Constitution-14   +1                       7
Wisdom-13         +1                       8
Intelligence-13   +1                       8
Charisma-16       +2                       5

HP:9
Saving Throws
Hardiness: +11
Evasion: +13
Spirit: +13
AC: 1
Effort: 2

Equipment
Weapons
Bioweapons(1d10+4 +5 Str)

Fray die 1d8

Wealth:0
Influence:2
Dominion:0
Experience:0

Words
Alacrity
Walk Between the Rain
All Directions as One

Might
Thews of the Gods

Shapeshifting
Fair Mortal Mien
The Claws That Catch 

Facts
Viridan Nomad: The Viridans are a nomad group that travel throughout all of Acrem. Moru's Caravan had been in Ancalia at the time the Calamity struck. Trapping Moru and her family.
Wandering Minstrel:Viridans traditionally work as merchants trading goods as they they travel around the world and as Minstrels providing entertainment. As she was born after the family had been trapped she had to learn the skills of music, dance and storytelling.
Hunted by the Cousins:The caravan had a run in with a raiding party of Fae Cousins, Moru escaped while the rest of caravan didn't(to her knowledge).

Goals
Short Term: See if any of my Caravan is still Alive
Long Term:Create a land safe for all refugees and those who wander.

JesterOfAmerica fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 10, 2017

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Sarah says nothing for now, preferring to scan the immediate area for any signs of danger. "Let someone else bite the bullet of talking to the Uncreated freak", she thinks to herself. She looks over the people in the mob in more detail, ignoring their ugly looks, and tries to get a good view of the cave before going inside.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 10, 2017

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

A card falls, a dagger holds.

I breath deep - the only calmness around me save the everpresent cold aboard this drat ship. The things been rocking so hard these past few days, you'd expect it pregnant by the time we reach Gifar. Which, they tell me, should be in the next hour. So how to pass the time? How else.

I flip the first card. The Knave of Gold. Not a bad start. Let's call that three points. I flip the second card. Death and Taxes. Already? Usually that's a game over - but that's no fun. Let's see - I'll just, uh... discard it... there we go... and draw another! The Queen of Storms. Hmm. A foreboding figure, one usually meant to end the game. I'll assign her three more points.

So that's six points going into the bluff. I place the next three cards face down. Those, you never reveal - at least, not if you don't want your license revoked. Though, the charter may no longer exist anymore... and, it was written on the back of a napkin by my brother...

I shrug, rubbing my hands together in a vain effort to keep them warm. Above, shouts can be heard, in some unintelligible sea language reserved for longshoremen and gulls. We must be getting close to port. I reach for the final card, but a sudden rock of the boat sends me toppling, crashing into the crate I had re-purposed as a table, and sending my beloved deck scattering to the floor of this cramped cabin.

I blink for a second, my world turned upside down as I lay against the wall, feet up in the air. Somehow, in my hand, there's a card - did I manage to grab it as I went tumbling, or did it simply appear? No matter - it must be the final card of my game. I turn it around hesitantly.

The Jackal. A loss. As usual. I moan, then move to right myself and gather my deck back up before this unwelcome journey truly begins.

---

The cliff-face port is none to welcome, and it certainly smells like any Uncreated hold that I've been to in the last few months, but this one is definitely special in its own right. Special, moreso, in the fact that I must leave the ship and actually interact with the people of this place. And... its curious and stunning leader, the Niece. As she speaks, I look nervously at my companions, who in their own right appear as unseated as I. A welcome thought, if any were possible.

The Niece. Yes, I'd heard of her, though more seemed ridiculous legend than truth. That she watched over a flock of congregants, barring the horrors of Gafir from entering this Under-Kasha. That she is the daughter of the Chained Lady, and angling to replace her. That she requires a weekly sacrifice of the youngest of the Under-Kashans. That she shits pure gold and pisses distilled Adali wine. Certainly, I'd like to see some of these before I believe them.

Watching her, however, I can tell there is some truth. Her presence is undeniable - less so than the Chained Lady, of course, but certainly notable. The way she looks over her people - and, more disturbingly, the way they look back at her. I spy some religious icons on ragged vestments here and there, surely more for show than anything else at this point. Months spent with one like her, and anyone would call her God. All the more reason to get out of here as soon as possible. And here she is, inviting us in. I gulp.

However, looking over my comrades, it's clear that none are of the conversing type. Certainly, I add with a glance at the Warmaker, some would even be detrimental to that effect. I mutter curses under my breath, then step forward, "Greetings, your Niece-est one. It would be, erm, wondrous to spend more time with you! Certainly, um, we would, er, like to habituate in warmer climes! At your leisure!" I gesture wildly, flinging my arms somewhere, anywhere. Oh Gods, everyone is looking at me now. Wonderful.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Effort 2 Committed 0 | AC 2 | HP 11/11 | Inf 2 Dom 0 Wth 0

The Warmaker spent the voyage tinkering with her equipment and preparing extensive, intricate schematics of unfathomable mechanisms. She neither ate nor slept, as far as anyone saw, and here on the dock she does not seem to feel the wind or the spray.

She looks past the Niece and the rest of the welcoming party, staring at something else intently, until the Uncreated directly addresses the group. Then her gaze snaps onto the woman as if noticing her for the first time, though her expression doesn't change in the slightest.

"How did this settlement acquire magnitude three etherlamps, and how are they powered?" She pauses, visibly reconsiders the last few minutes, then adds in the same flat tone, "Temperature and exposure no longer affect me. But if a climate controlled environment is more comfortable for you, I have no objections."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Masresha gives Niece the requisite amount of attention that a grotesquerie of the Chained Court deserves. Then she just turns away completely while everyone asks their questions. She already knows this island. She already knows what's changed over the past five years.

(Too much, if you must ask.)

She just goes ahead and observes the corpse in the gibbet. Another fallen knight. From what Order did this one come from?

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

So, here was at least one hook no one back at the court had thought to mention. Another Uncreated here, one tied into the people around here.

Well, Kohath is happy enough to let the situation unfold at first. No need to antagonize anyone right off the bat, at least not until he finds his feet. And it seems as if he'd had at least one of his stories reach this far, and plant a seed. Whoever is trying to support him, wonderful. He can look at what his unknown contact had provided him and decide what to do with it later.

This Niece figure is the immediate concern. Whatever cozy situation she's set up for herself, it will have to go. An Uncreated is no friend of the people, no matter what short-term arrangements she may make. Kohath considers the pressure the Niece is exerting on his own reserves of power before deciding how to proceed. There's plenty of ways to undermine someone trying to pretend to be a good ruler, but for the moment, playing by the rules of etiquette seems safest.

As his companions speak to her, Kohath simply... doesn't. If she turns her attention to him, he will give a bow appropriate to one of unknown station, but otherwise he plans to let Niece lead them to a meeting before doing anything precipitous.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Sarah: You too notice the etherlights in the cave a moment before The Warmaker mentions them. It seems to be fairly spacious inside, taking up most of the height from the water to the clifftop. There’s a fair number of people milling about on the walkways and bridges inside, most looking oddly nervous. And aside from The Niece’s thugs, you aren’t seeing any signs of a fighting force.

Masresha: The tabard is stained and torn, but heraldry is drummed into all squires. While you can’t quite make out their house, they are a Knight Vindicant. … And not actually a corpse, at least yet. The body moves slightly, against the wind, and you can see his face. Living, but flush with the final stages of the Hollowing Plague.

The Niece’s smile deepens, seemingly amused by the pantheon’s approach. “Ah, dear Illo. I am so pleased that Auntie chose to send her jester to Under-Kasha. Shall we?” She begins to float backwards, down the dock and into the cave. The crowd on the dock parts for her, many holding out their hands for blessings. Her ‘bodyguards’ pick up the rear, and you hear the sounds of the crew off-loading the ship.

Under-Kasha is showing signs of the last five years of hell, but you’ve all seen worse enclaves. Many things need repair and consumables seem to be in short supply, but the residents are in decent health and the structures carved into the cave wall are mostly intact. As The Niece leads you through the enclave, you see several clusters of people watching your passage with worried eyes.

“I do not know anything about these etherlamps Ms. Hoifan, they predate my arrival. The child-mage is preparing your quarters, he might know matters of history. And we unfortunately know very little about the invaders Miss Kewui. We saw their boats in the distance, three low ships with single sails. But they are able to shield themselves from my farsight, and the brave boys that volunteered to investigate didn’t come back.” She pauses. “Well, not in a useful form at least. I doubt you will learn much from the sack of heads that floated on the current.”

The Niece stops on a landing in front of a large recently-repaired door. The man she called Kantiba Senai is speaking to a beardless boy in hushed tones. “Ah Kantiba Senai, Magus Soro I assume the heroes’ quarters are ready?”

Kantiba Senai (L) Magus Soro(R)

Senai narrows his eyes, anger and nervousness evident in his body language. The boy stammers for a bit while fiddling with the occult charms on his robes. “Y-yes Miss. I’ve laid charms against vermin and pests, and cleansed the humors. My lords and ladies.” He begins to curtsy before stopping and giving you all a deep bow. The quarters are obviously a converted storage area, the large open room arranged into sleeping, eating, and workbench areas. The furniture is crude and threadbare, but once again you’ve all seen worse.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Sarah shakes the mage's hand. "Thanks, kid. I'll take it from here, as soon as a certain something leaves my presence and goes back to its quarters so that I can use more of my particular abilities."

She doesn't even bother looking at the Niece, instead flicking her wrist to summon a long-barreled magnetic rifle, outfitted with a scope and in-built range finder (both rather useless to her these days). She slings it across her back, then continues to warp in various instruments of high-tech ranged death; pistols, submachine guns, rifles, even a rocket launcher. She didn't have to do so; Sarah could just let the guns rest in the Bright Republic's armories where she last left them or even just chuck globs of concussive force from her finger tips, but the room was so bare that she felt the weapons would at least make nice decorations for her side of the quarters. Finally, she plops done a locked case upon one of the beds. "No one touch this case. And I mean no one."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Before she follows the others deeper into Under-Kasha, Masresha gives the knight a sad look. She can see the suffering within the poor soul. The plague will take them soon.

"Rest easy, brave knight." She says quietly. The gibbet is not so high up that she couldn't reach between the bars, taking the knight's head with both hands. "The Patriarch will let your soul rest before the One's return and your body should not have to embrace the curse. I will end your pain."

She then lets the man's head hang outside the edge of the gibbet. The easier it is to cut it off.

Mitama fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 12, 2017

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

"A moment." Kohath gently lays a hand on Masresha's shoulder once he notices her action. "Let's just tarry here. Once the Uncreated is away from our immediate presence, I can cure the illness. Perhaps he has something more he can offer." Kohath's sympathy is not faked, but his focus at this point is more on what another knight could offer to them.

Plus, it's a chance for a public spectacle. Few things could more clearly demonstrate a reason to support their little group than immediately and publicly healing someone from the brink of death. That's not to say it had no countervailing concerns, so Kohath is sure to keep a light enough touch that a pleading knight or vociferous Masresha know he won't force the issue.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Masresha hears this and relents. For now.

"He doesn't have much time before the Plague corrupts him. If you can save him, do it soon."

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

I take Soro's hand and kiss it. "Thank you for your time."

As I sit down on one of the beds I ask. "Do you have any maps or plans of the fortress?" I don't like how little we know about what is going on here. I have half mine to just gather everybody and take the fight directly to the pirates. But I have a feeling my companions would dislike such a direct approach.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

The Niece's response shocks me, "J-jester? I assure you, I am a fully-certified member of the, er, Shackled Lady's financial, uh, envoy to, er, well, here." She clearly isn't interested, and I fall to silence as she turns and heads deeper into the cave, the crowd parting before her. I look nervously again at my companions - that didn't go too badly, right? We follow her - though, out of the corner of my eye, I spot Masresha and Kohath stop by a gibbet and talk to its inhabitant. Hopefully that doesn't lead to any trouble... I shudder at the thought, then humbly follow in the icy footsteps of the Niece.

She leads us into the depths, carved rock leading to partially reconstructed woodwork, clearly from the ruin's previous inhabitants. This was a storeroom once, I muse as the Niece pushes her way - or, was it that the door flinched back - into our quarters for the night. Well, if we stay at least. I follow the group in, noting its newcomers while Sarah conjures some alien-looking weaponry around the room. Showoff, I think, before immediately regretting it. The Niece observes with a coldness, but I definitely would rather not talk to her any more than is needed. Kantiba Senai, however... perhaps I can worm something out of him?

I edge my way over, nodding as I approach, "Greetings, Kantiba, if I can presume to address you as such. What can you tell me of this place... before the Roads opened? Perhaps in that we can find clues to why the invasion was initiated," I smile, nodding in the Niece's direction, though she's clearly paying no heed in mine. I use the opportunity to speak low, hoping to encourage a discussion from the man, "Or, do you have any other knowledge that we can use to... defuse this situation?"

[6:58 PM] BOTSidekick: @Illo (Frgrbrgr): 1d20 = (12) = 12

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 13, 2017

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Once they're far enough away to be out of the effect of the Niece, Kohath decides to not just heal the man in front of them.

No, if first impressions count, it's time to show off. Kohath touches the knight, but his invoked power reaches well beyond it.

Kohath commits Effort for the day to evoke Ender of Plague's greater effect. Everyone in half a mile is cured, even through barriers, and he learns of any disease curses or sources of pestilence there.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The Warmaker examines the room for a moment, then walks over to the workbenches, the automail on her back harness dropping her bag with a loud thump. "Acceptable."

She goes over to speak with the mage, catching the end of Kewui's statement. "You may find more support for that approach than you expect."

"Magus, I have questions about the etheric mechanisms here."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Sarah leaves the Niece to prattle on with poor Illo and the Kantiba, and heads out of the caves to get out of range of the Uncreated's stifling aura. She yawns, and then begins to take in her surroundings in the way that only she can. Her sight now extended to roughly a mile, she cheerfully sets off to find an elevated position nearby, with which to scout out the nearby surroundings, and maybe snipe a few of the local undead if she sees any.

Committing Effort to Creation's First Light. My vision extends to the horizon, I can see through walls and other things that aren't magical, and I pierce through illusions and shapeshifting but not Deception-based magics.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Moru: The Niece shrugs at your comment Moru, and waves her hand. Several sheets of parchment float down from a shelf and land on the table. Old maps of the island and crude drawings of a massive walled keep can be seen. “The Purgatists were rather closed-lipped about the inner workings of their holdings, but I’ve had my children gather as many details as could be remembered. The base of Honor’s Keep is ancient, dating back to your kind’s foolish assault on Heaven. Modifications have been made over the centuries, but be prepared to deal with functional theotechnology. The main tower holds quarters and logistical centers, while the prison was situated in the underground portion. The ya-”

The Niece pauses, her face contorting into a mask of rage for a split second. You all feel the energy, like a fresh spring breeze with no wind. Then the smile is back on her face, as it had never left. “Ah, but time flows still. The Kantiba and Magos should be able to fill you in on the details known. Services begin soon, and I would hate to disappoint my children.” She floats out the door, taking the unnerving cold with her.

Illo: Something within Senai resists your gentle prying, but not for very long. There’s a unheard pop, and he nods to you. “Kantiba’s being gracious, its a comfort to the townsfolk mainly. I was Kasha’s steward… before, and those that made it here looked to me. And like-” His face twists in annoyance. “The Niece said, the Knights Purgatist held their secrets close. Honor’s End was their motherhouse as well as a prison for the vilest of the vile, so they didn’t entertain visitors. They only allowed Respite to be founded so close because the other knights that would visit needed entertainments. And the thing is, no-one knows what happened there during the troubles. When the Plague hit Gifar, they barred the gates and none have been inside or seen its inhabitants since. We send a boat out ever so often to check, but the River Wives make the trip risky.”

The Warmaker: Soro seems taken aback by the attention being paid to him, and gapes at you for a moment Warmaker before stammering out “D-Dawit my Lady. I was still an apprentice when Miss Amare passed. And if you’re talking of the faithlamps, the stories say they’ve been here for centuries. Lady Kasha was St. Sadira the Invidian’s oldest ally, and when the manor had to be rebuilt after the Scouring the saint gifted the lamps to the Lady. No-one knows for sure how they work, they just… do.”

Kohath and Masresha: A few townsfolk gather around you, murmuring worriedly. And then you release your power Kohath, and the murmurs turn to coughs. A sizeable part of the inhabitants of Under-Kasha are coughing up small clouds of darkness. The knight is wracked by deep liquid coughs, spewing a black goo which hisses and evaporates as it hits the stone. Your sight swims and in addition to the scene before you you also see a small spring, a rotten deer partially submerged in it, as well as a dozen shadowy figures shuffling in a dark room above you. Maresha, you watch as life flows back into the Knight Vindicant, erasing the signs of the Plague. Before you can react, his hand whips out and grabs your arm in a vise-like grip. His tired eyes lock with yours.
“The Patriarch needs St. Sadira’s Hope. I pass this quest to you Pavian.” He releases your arm as he slumps over, unconscious.

Sarah: You find a set of steps carved into the cliff-face leading up. Someone’s done a good job of smashing them half-way up, but its a few minutes work to climb past. Gifar lays before you, mainly low rolling hills dotted with woods and manor houses. One stands before you, you can only assume is the Kasha estate. While obviously undergone years of neglect, you also see signs of recent habitation. Repaired roofs, patched walls, and a pantry full of non-perishable foods. There’s even a few horses in the stables. A half-dozen other stalls have been recently occupied. A moment’s concentration reveals a double handful of shadowy figures in the basement. Husks. You can also make out faint outlines of a tunnel leading down into the cave, but the unworked earth makes it difficult to see details.

To the west, several miles away you can see a small empty hamlet before the massive walls of a castle. While you can tell the walls and main tower of Honor’s Keep are made of ancient plascrete, you realize you can’t see through them. No matter how much you concentrate, the walls remain solid. Maybe the same effect that thwarted the Uncreateds’ magics? You can see the keep’s docks, built partially into the cliff. Three low ship are docked. Three low long ships, the largest one sporting a dragon-skull figurehead. Skerries ships, one of them the personnel vessel of a Witch-Queen.

A rough map will be posted, but Honor’s Keep and surrounds are as follows:
Docks: Cliff-side, where the Ulstang rearguard and ships are
Respite: Small hamlet outside the walls, currently abandoned
Walls: Tall and ancient
Main Yard: Training grounds, cathedral, outbuildings
Tower: Quarters for knights, libraries, storerooms, armories
Underground Prison: Theotechnic defenses, mundane and supernatural prisoners

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Sarah sighs. "A Witch Queen, and so far from her little barrow palace. Can't be anything good in there if one of those madwomen wants it," she thinks to herself as she watches from atop her look-out. She makes a mental note to tell the others about the Husks trapped inside the basement she found. Wouldn't do to have undead about, especially with one of the necromancer queens of the north on the island. And besides, it was rather mysterious for there to be horses still stabled there, not yet eaten by wandering dead or starved to death.

After completing her mental lay-out of the area, she extends her wrists and summons the missile launcher that she had left hanging above her bed. Completely ignoring the advanced targeting systems that had almost assuredly cost a thousand dollars or more to add onto the shoulder-fired weapon, she aims in the general direction of the boats and fires a rocket that she knows will strike at the direct center of the Witch Queen's ship. And, without reloading, chases it up with a few more, until the ships in the harbor are nothing but burning cinder.

Committing my second Effort towards None Beyond Reach, which lets me fire at something whose location I know within 10 feet. Bolt of Invincible Skill has a constant effect which lets me always hit an inanimate target.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 14, 2017

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Saint Sadira." Despite Masresha's best efforts, she couldn't help but scoff. "Bless the Saint, but her Order was the first to fall from grace when all of this happened." The Invidian knights used deception and treachery to advance their goals. They thrived in the new order.

Her misgivings aside, it seems that she has a new quest to deal with.

"Good job, sir." She says to Kohath. "Stay close to me, I may have more need of you than I first thought." Masresha lets the knight go for a while in order to address the crowd.

"Help me free him from his cage. By the grace of the One and His chosen, this knight has been saved."

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

That surge of power is probably one of my companions judging from the Niece's scornful look. As I look over the maps given to its clear a frontal assault would be ill-advised even if it is distinctly possible.

"Illo, Warmaker, when you are done can you come over here, we might as well plan on how to enter Honor's End"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The Warmaker taps her chin thoughtfully. "Interesting. I will have to examine them. I would appreciate your assistance when I do."

When Moru calls her over, she turns and joins the other Godbound. "I favor a direct approach, but scouting the target should be our first step."

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Kasha Manor, cliffside:
The water at the docks is not deep enough for you to fully sink the longships Sarah, but its not for lack of trying. Great gaping holes are ripped in the wooden vessels and they settle into the sea, only the Witch-Queen’s dragonskull prow above the waves. You think you may have caught a few Ulstangers in the blasts, but the skilled retainers the Witch Queens use for their personal entourage are too smart to make themselves targets.

As you scan the area for more targets, you are suddenly buffeted by crosswinds. Turning to their source, you see Captain Kambal held aloft above the sea by the swirling winds. The witchfire on her brow has grown into a many-forked crown of lightning, and she looks quite displeased. “Are you suicidal, or merely an imbecile? You’ve fired into the waters, and now the Death-Tide Marchioness will demand compensation! I am to sail through her domain this very hour, and I refuse to pay for the rashness of another!”

Under-Kasha, common area
The crowd remains gathered around the gibbet, motionless. Fear and awe war upon their faces, and murmurs echo. A figure at last pushes through the crowd to stand before you Kohath and Masresha. On the downhill side of middle-age, his labor-gained muscles have resisted the ravages of time and calamity. He bows and pulls a hammer out his toolbelt.

“Please forgive my brothers and sisters Lord and Lady. We have lived in fear of this day for five years, and it weighs on their souls.” He begins knocking the pins out of the gibbet. “But I figure if God has decided that today is the day I am to be judged, I should accept it with open arms.” The cage opens with a clatter, and the man helps pull the Vindicant out. “After all, isn’t faith all the stronger for recognizing your sins?”

Under-Kasha, the pantheon’s quarters
As crude as the maps The Niece has provided are, they do hold clues for the keen-eyed. Moru you can see that Respite is laid out like a standard Ancalian market-town, which means both the inn and coin-lord’s hold should offer stored supplies and fortifications. Warmaker, you can tell that the keep looks to be shaped like a standard Pre-Shattering Khemite outpost. They generally fell into a handful of floorplans, so barring major renovations in the last ten centuries you have a general idea of the layout.

Under-Kasha, all
The constant sound of the waves fades into the background after a few minutes of being here, so that is why no-one paid attention at first. But they continued, louder and sharper than the waves. Explosions, rapid-fire and only a few miles distant.

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 20, 2017

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

"Who?" Sarah asks, perplexed by this new development.

"Is that some sort of local monster? If you point the way I can shoot a couple rockets at it too. It's no big deal, miss."

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

"Thank you." Masresha nods at the man. "Can you take him somewhere to rest? I'll compensate you for your troubles."

And then she hears the explosion. "Trouble already." She heads towards the docks to see what's going on, leaving it to Kohath on whether to follow.

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

With the explosion outside I stood up and ran outside.

"Looks like the final plans will have to be made later." As I run I shift into combat form. I have no idea what is out there but a fight is on the way as I head towards the docks.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Warmaker follows Moru at a steadier pace, her autofist automatically picking up her weapons as she passes.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

I nod as Kantiba answers my questions kindly. I open my mouth to speak, curious to know more of the Knights Purgatists, but a series of explosions cuts through the air instead. Dear Gods... will this be how the entire trip is?!

I grimace as my companions quickly empty from the room, with me hot on their heels, tugging at my short sword as I scamper back down the pathway. I call out to them as I near, "T-trouble? Surely, we aren't being attacked already." Moru has already changed her form, however - some sort of hellish-looking armor adorned with harsh curves and harsher colors. I gulp, finally managing to get my blade clear of its scabbard. I hold it awkwardly in front of me, "T-to arms!"

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Kasha Manor, cliffside: Azura glares at you Sarah, sparks flashing from her balled fists. “Oh, and you’ll just destroy her retainers and their barrow? And then since the Salt Court won’t be around to hold back the Deep Serpents, you’ll dive into the sea and shoot them too? You have no idea how lovely things are here, but you fully intend to just jump in guns blazing don’t you?” She slumps slightly, and her voice quiets a little. “Some of us don’t have the luxury of leaving once our mission is over Brighter. We’re stuck until Yama comes for us.”

Raised voices from below grab both of your attentions. Looking down, you can see a whirlpool forming behind the Father’s Disappointment, which quickly disgorges a horde of misshapen creatures. They swarm over the docks and into the sea cave, and screams of terror can be heard. “Well... gently caress” is Azura’s only response.

Under-Kasha
Masresha, you exit the cave in time to see the smoke-trails of the last rockets hanging in the air and the fires burning faintly in the mist at the base of Honor’s End. The fact that you haven’t seen Sarah in a few minutes makes the sequence of events fairly clear. Moru and the others catch up just in time to hear the rumbling of the whirlpool forming and see the horde of fish-men spew forth from the water. They swarm over the ship and docks, and even pop up inside the cave, frightening the locals. You all hear a roar over the gurgles of the horde, and two armored figures riding a device of metal and fire fly out of the whirlpool. One dismounts onto the dock, and their amplified voice echoes across the area.

“Thin-blood children infesting this cave! Our Marchioness have been kind enough to allow you to live within her domain, and you repay that kindness by disturbing her waters? You know the price for such betrayal: we’ve come for your breath!” The knight brandishes an ornate sword, and the fish-men surge forwards, grabbing at anyone in sight.

Given Moru’s background, she recognizes the armored figures as Goblin Knights, most likely Sword-trained. The fish-men are most likely lesser creatures twisted to suit the Fae’s needs (aka Misbegotten)

quote:

Salt Knight, x2 (AC 5) Sea Hounds, Large Mob (AC 7, Lesser Foes)

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

Goblin Knights, loving Goblin Knights! The Armour is different but its the same type of arrogance that tortured my family all that time ago.

Well, this time they won't be able to strike without reprisal. I focus my power into my forearms, and as blades grow along they begin to drip with a scarlet and lime green liquid. I charge the army of fish men hoping to kill as many as possible.

"You will take NOTHING from these people!"

Commiting Effort for the scene to make my Bioweapons have lethal toxin.(The Claws That Catch)

[3:38] Attacking the Sea Hounds Mob = (9)+5 = 14
Maxed Damage Die: 4 Points
Fray Die: 2 Points

JesterOfAmerica fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 28, 2017

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

A sawn-off shotgun appears in Sarah's offhand as she absent-mindedly fills the crowd of beast with two blasts of magnetically propelled pellets that are all perfectly and individually aimed to do the maximum amount of carnage, turning the sea and rocks a bright pink where the fish-men used to be. "Believe me, miss: When I head back home there won't be anything hostile to humanity left in this damned country."

Committing Effort for the Day to invoke Rain of Sorrow via miracle, which makes my damage against mobs read straight and adds my level to the damage, and Committing Effort for the scene to use Bolt of Invincible Skill to make the damage maximized and hit on anything but a 1. I rolled an 18, so I definitely struck the poor mob of fishmen, doing a grand total of 13 damage, plus 1 from my Fray Die.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

The sea erupts, spewing forth iron knights of some sort and a handful of menacing beastial fishmen. Moru flies ahead of me, her deadly blades flashing as she goes to work turning the fishmen into chum, and Sarah appears from out of nowhere, blasting away with her frightening weapons. I gulp - is this to be my new way of life? Facing endless swarms of deadly enemies? Is this something I can even do?

Still, screams erupts from the docks below, and the citizens of Under-Kasha are clearly unprepared for fending off these attackers. Saving your own skin works both ways - and I'm sure the Chained One will be unhappy with me if I don't act to protect her reluctant denizenry. Another gulp. Weapon forward. Walk.

You know... around the melee, stabbing lightly as I can.

As I gingerly tread the circumference around Moru, I suddenly stumble upon a loose stone on the path - and when I lift my head, I'm looking one of the knights directly in the face (well, its mechanical horse, to be exact). I shriek, flailing at the foe -

Committing Effort to use The World Against You - Luck is now my weapon, and I'm selecting Charisma as its attack modifier
[5:29 PM] BOTSidekick: @Illo (Frgrbrgr): 1d20+3 Attacking Goblin Knights = (1)+3 = 4
[2:21 PM] BOTSidekick: @Illo (Frgrbrgr): 1d8 Fray Dice = (7) = 7

- and miss wildly, my sword managing nothing but spinning me around in the circle. I land awkwardly on my feet, the knight still looming directly ahead of me.

Another gulp.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Before the Salt Knight can make Illo pay for his mistake, the Warmaker steps between them. There is no subtly to her opening attack, merely an overwhelming force as a massive weapon slams down, powered by the autofist harness on her back.

The Warmaker draws a sword in her other hand as the autofist readies the plasma axe again . She regards the Salt Knight with an expression somewhere between resigned and defiant. "You'll have to go through me first."

SidekickBOT - Today at 8:49 PM @The Warmaker (Gorbash): 1d20+4+5 Attack Salt Knight = (15)+4+5 = 24
SidekickBOT - Today at 8:49 PM @The Warmaker (Gorbash): 1d10+4 Damage = (2)+4 = 6
SidekickBOT - Today at 8:50 PM @The Warmaker (Gorbash): 1d8 Fray Die = (8) = 8

Hit the Salt Knight menacing Illo for 2 damage (barring any secret techniques) and also fray for 2 damage for any fishmen who get in my way while I'm closing with the Salt Knight.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

Your plasma axe bounces off of something Warmaker, something moving too fast to see. The Knight astride the Horse of Brass and Flame now has their sword out and a soft chuckle echoes inside their helm. They step off the vehicle and over Illo like he isn’t even there and take up a ready stance. “I am unsure if you are Ren or Din child, but I have not killed either of the lesser kinds in centuries so glory to you.”

Salt Knight B Commits 1 Effort to use Nine Iron Walls as an Instant ability. They now have an invincible defense against physical attacks until the start of their next round.

BTW, the Mob of Sea-hounds is at 2/24HD

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 1, 2017

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Masresha doesn't stop to question anything. Fighting monsters has been her life.

Her body glows with a golden light, the sunlight from her very heart causes the fishmen near her to flinch. She draws her blessed sword to smite a few of those creatures into dust, then charges straight at the Salt Knight. Her blade meets the knight's, and she joins the battle with the Warmaker.

"I hope you don't mind if I join this dance."

Fray dice whacks another 1HD off the mob, as I turn on Body of Burning Light for my buffs and try to attack the Salt Knight engaged with the Warmaker (and miss with 17).

Mitama fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 1, 2017

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

The ranks of the fish-men wither in the face of your assault, but the scent of their own blood seems to drive them into a frenzy. The survivors rush towards those of you on the docks, slashing and biting at your armor wildly.
The Mob succeeds on its Morale check(2d6 = (4+3) = 7 vs 8) and uses Overwhelm. Illo, Moru, Warmaker, and Masresha need to make a Hardiness save or take 1d6 = (6) = 2 damage.

Masresha and Warmaker, the Knight you’ve engaged regards the two of you warily and takes a defensive stance (ignoring Illo on the ground). “Ah, I see a child of the Thin Blood has joined us. Perhaps this will be a challenge worthy of my skills after all.” They make a few feints before swinging forcefully at Masresha.
Salt Knight B Attacks = (15)+5+2 = 22, 1d10 = (6) = 2 damage

Further down the dock, the first Knight that pronounced Under-Kasha’s doom curses at the fish-men and charges Moru. Their blade swings in precise arcs, finding the weaknesses in your chitinous plates.
Salt Knight A Commits 1 Effort to use Unerring Blade. 1d20+5+1 = (15)+5+1 = 21, max damage for 1d10 is 4.

The citizens of Under-Kasha and the crew of the Father’s Disappointment have taken advantage of your interference to batten the hatches and find places to hide.

quote:

Large Mob of Sea-Hounds
-1/24HD, AC7
Salt Knight A
-4/4HD, AC5, 1/2 Effort, (Nine Iron Walls, Unerring Blade)
Salt Knight B
-4/4HD, AC5, 1/2 Effort, (Nine Iron Walls, Unerring Blade)

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 8, 2017

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Sarah whirls around, her shotgun exchanged for her lucky mag-pistol, and squeezes the trigger until every last piscine monstrosity lies dead on the ground. The final bullets in the magazine go out to the Knight who wounded Moru, the shots piercing through its armor in the exact same spots that Moru was injured, with the last round in the chamber punching through the right side of the Goblin's helmet.

Fray dice rolled 5, so I apply that damage to all the fish people, wasting them. My roll against Salt Knight A was 23 and damage dice was 11, so I do the max damage of 4. This one-shots the poor Goblin Knight, slaying it.

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

HP: 6/8

I flinch back, shutting my eyes closed, assured that the Salt Knight's sword will skewer me any second...

... but the blow never comes. Gasping, I open my eyes, and witness the Warmaker step in between us, smashing the assailant with her strange weaponry. The Knight, however, deflects her blows with something - I can't quite make it out - and Masresha rushes in with her own attack, again denied. I shudder. What power!

The Knight comes in swinging at the two warriors, slashing out at Masresha and cutting deep into her thick armor. Blood lines the Knight's thick blade as it gets pulled free - That's gotta hurt.

I grimace, weighing my options. So far, the Knight has all but ignored me - but those beasts earlier got a few good licks in.

[11:21 AM] BOTSidekick: @Illo (Frgrbrgr): 1d20 Hardiness Save = (10) = 10
Taking 2 Damage

Still, both Masresha and the Warmaker have stepped in (over) me to stop these creatures. The very least I could do is take a few more stabs, right? What's the worst that could happen?

[11:28 AM] BOTSidekick: @Illo (Frgrbrgr): 1d20+3+5 The World Against You (Charisma) = (11)+3+5 = 19

My blade whiffs at some air again - maybe I can make a career out of this. But hey, at least I tried?

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015

HP: 3/9

The Salt Knight's blade had got through my armor, the wound was severe but I'll manage. The pain from the blow distracted me as the last vestiges of the fishmen army to score a few blows on.

Hardiness Save = (9) = 9

After enduring the assault I make another charge at the salt blades ready for attack.

@Moru (Carnival): 1d20+5 Attacking Salt Knight B = (16)+5 = 21

Attack Blocked by Nine Iron Walls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Masresha raises her glowing blade against the knight's own, staggering slightly. Even against gifts of the One, these Fae prove worthy opponents. But their corrupted powers can take only take them so far.

"You are just a shadow of an old, dead world." She casually batters aside the fish-creatures that try to chew on her, then raises her sword towards the sky. "Behold, the light of the One who shall deliver us."

The sun seems to shine behind her. Very brightly. It's an overwhelming light, focusing narrowly on the salt knight in a terrible, fiery beam. He can try to deflect that, if he can.

Hardiness roll at 19, I think I only take 2 damage in total.

I use Divine Wrath and deal 1 damage.

• Locked thread