Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
The UFC has a dumb, weird history filled with steroids, fat sumo wrestlers losing teeth, innovative dick strikes, bad tattoos, and boxercise instructors. It's high time we all get a little better acquainted with its backlog of pay per views. I've been watching this bizarre spectacle for a while now and there is still a bunch of the earlier PPVs I have never seen. I think this is a good opportunity for the UFC newcomers to learn a little more of the company's history and some of the veteran fans to relive what the UFC has to offer. If you know nothing about MMA and just want to partake in the fun, even better, this is more about the experience than knowledge.

Here's the game...

1) You can get a UFC fightpass subscription for :10bux: from ufc.tv. I believe they have the entire backlog of UFC PPVs from 1 to 205.

2) Go to https://www.random.org/ and set the min to 1 and the max to 205. Whatever you roll is the PPV you're watching. If you roll the number of a PPV you've recently seen or what another poster rolled, then roll again. No cheating though, Mark Coleman will know.

3) Post in the thread which PPV you are going to watch. I'll try my best to keep a running list in the OP which PPVs people are watching. If you roll the same PPV as another poster, roll again.

4) Post a report of the PPV. The good, bad, and ugly. I'll keep a running list in the OP of reports.

I'll get things started.

THE LIST

UFC 2 - Memento (Report)
UFC 9 - its me glenda
UFC 21 - OldTennisCourt
UFC 26 - Digital Jedi (Report)
UFC 28 - El Estrago Bonito
UFC 29 - Southpaugh
UFC 30 - regfairfield
UFC 34 - CommonShore
UFC 45 - CarlCX
UFC 47 - Aye Doc
UFC 54 - MycroftXXX
UFC 55 - Solomonic
UFC 63 - Bluedeanie
UFC 65 - handsome only face (Report)
UFC 66 - Szymanski
UFC 69 - Detroit_Dogg
UFC 74 - Siamang
UFC 77 - Rigel
UFC 86 - Belgian Waffle (Report)
UFC 93 - Lloyd Boner
UFC 98 - BlindSite
UFC 99 - Chexoid
UFC 105 - Fat Twitter Man (Report)
UFC 120 - Chichevache
UFC 123 - Dan Didio
UFC 124 - Spunky Jewster
UFC 130 - Thrifting Day!
UFC 131 - DrBrezo
UFC 133 - Tezcatlipoca
UFC 134 - Golashes
UFC 135 - maffew buildings
UFC 139 - tesilential
UFC 142 - Chris James 2
UFC 151 - pepperchomp
UFC 161 - mariooncrack
UFC 175 - TheKingslayer
UFC 176 - Sprecherscrow (Report)
UFC 205 - mistakinder

MycroftXXX fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I rolled 63. Lucky!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

This is cool, I'm in.

I wonder if maybe a UFC "book club" might not also be amusing. In other words every once in a while (once a month? once in each weekend where the UFC goes dark and has no event?) we all agree to watch the same random PPV, the OP or whoever rolls it and tells us what we're watching and on what night, we start the replay on our fightpasses at about the same time so that we can have a running commentary on it.

oh, and I rolled 77. I'll try to watch it sometime this week.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
This sounds fun, rolled a 93.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I'll get in on this, let's see what I get!

gently caress me. I guess there aren't going to be too many decisions on this one.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
UFC 134: Silva vs. Okami

I'm an extreme amateur so let's see what kind of insightful analysis I can add to this one.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Golashes posted:

UFC 134: Silva vs. Okami

I'm an extreme amateur so let's see what kind of insightful analysis I can add to this one.

The funny thing is that we'll regard you as a wise sage of MMA history who is imparting wisdom from the ancients to us, because most of us don't remember it and none of us are going to loving watch UFC 134 to double-check your report. Thats assuming someone like fatherdog doesn't choose to weigh in on whatever silly piece of poo poo we write for our report, in which case that poster is probably hosed.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Oh boy UFC 99, the comeback. I had actually forgotten Franklin and Wanderlai had fought twice. I only remember Franklin doing the weird balls stretch in the second one.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
I rolled 176. UFC 176 didn't actually happen. I'll roll again later, that was pretty great.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Looks like its UFC 175, Weidman vs Machida. I think that was good? Lets find out.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
UFC 105: Couture vs. Vera

ugh

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rigel posted:

The funny thing is that we'll regard you as a wise sage of MMA history who is imparting wisdom from the ancients to us, because most of us don't remember it and none of us are going to loving watch UFC 134 to double-check your report. Thats assuming someone like fatherdog doesn't choose to weigh in on whatever silly piece of poo poo we write for our report, in which case that poster is probably hosed.

UFC 134 had Rousimar v Dan Miller and Big Nog v Schaub so we remember it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Big Nog, his arms wide.

Schaub, when the walls fell.

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
I just rolled 151. That was an awesome card guys...

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I'm down. I got...45. I'm not sure I'm emotionally prepared to watch Cabbage fight again.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ufc 98. Frankie eddar, pat barry, lyoto machida. Oh gently caress yeah

DrBrezo
May 13, 2009

I'm in - drew UFC 131. I'll probably watch it later tonight.

Junior vs Carwin, Weidman, Cerrone - not bad.

Edit: JOEY BELTRAN!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UFC 134 was really really good, actually.

UFC 34 for me. Heh. I'll get around to it when I can. I've watched most of the early UFCs up until 20-something, but I didn't get this far.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

UFC 65 Hughes vs. St. Pierre

i'm pretty sure i was around 60~ in my journey through all the UFC shows so this is pretty close to where i was

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
UFC 66 Liddell Ortiz, not a bad looking card

Alex Murphy
Sep 3, 2011

1: SERVE THE PUBLIC TRUST
2: PROTECT THE INNOCENT
3: UPHOLD THE LAW
This should be fun. I got UFC 124. It'll be nice to revisit the destruction of Koscheck.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I was gonna do this but got 133 so gently caress that.

Wait I thought this was the one where Tito and Rashad drew, maybe I will watch it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I got 142. Aldo/Mendes! Vitor!!!

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Make sure you get really drunk while doing so, that's the most important part.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Make sure you get really drunk while doing so, that's the most important part.

I'll do that and watch Vitor punch Akiyama in the back of the head while I smoke a chicken for tortilla soup in 70 degree weather.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

UFC 206 is up on Fight Pass now apparently, so I guess the new max should be 206?

(I don't have it, can't afford it so can't participate in the thread)

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Got Fight Pass for my dad for Christmas, I never watched UFC so here we go!

UFC 21 for me!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Got UFC 26: Ultimate Field of Dreams

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 11, 2017

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

UFC 65 - Bad Intentions
  • Dosokokeojoskue Mishima (17-4-2) which is the biggest mouthful fifghter name i think i've seen in UFC vs. Joe Daddy Stevenson (30-7)
  • Brandon Vera (7-0) vs. Frank Mir (9-2)
  • Tim Sylvia (24-2) vs. Jeff The Snowman Monson (24-5)
  • Matt Hughes (42-4) vs. Georges 'Rush' St. Pierre (12-1)

Mike Goldberg has spiked up gelled hair and is clean shaven looking like a big baby piglet in a suit. Randy Couture is the other commentator. Goldberg asks Couture if "George Bierre" will join the likes of him in being able to win a championship.

---

• Dokonjonosuke Mishima vs. Joe 'Daddy' Stevenson

uhh bah.. woi.. huh. go this guy.

Joe Stevenson is 30-7 at this point which is a gently caress load of fights and i cant really remember any of them before this point. Goldberg being forced to say Dokonjonosuke more than once is cruel.
Stevenson catches Mishima in a guillotine in the first 20 seconds and is pulling his neck like a pez dispenser, Mishima tries to slam his way out of it.
Mishima eventually gets out and tries to pass, Stevenson grabs the guillotine again with 3 minutes left in the round and taps him. Xyience is the ultra premium energy drink and you can get it in cran/razz, clear, or big apple.

• Frank Mir vs. Brandon Vera

"Fortunately, whatever Frank Mir faces in the octagon will pair in comparison to the September 2004 motorcycle accident that forced him to relinquish his title and which kept him out of the octagon for 2 years" - Mike Goldberg

Brandon Vera is apparently known as a heavyweight GSP.
Round 1 Mir chooses to stand and gets cracked with a straight right punch and then a gently caress load of clinch knees, he is bleeding everywhere, he is now covering up on the ground taking punches, he is done and Vera wins by TKO.

after two quick finishes they are replaying a prelim fight

• Alessio Sakara vs. Drew McFedries
Round 1 McFedries is the aggressor and swinging wildly, they get into an exchange and Sakara knocks McFedries mouthpiece out with a big straight punch, Mario Yamazaki doesn't notice it.
Once there is a lull in the action McFedries calls his own timeout for the mouth piece and Mario calls time and doesnt even separate the fighters to their corners at all and they are talking to each other face to face.
With a minute left in the rood McFedries lands an uppercut and Sakara just sort of slumps over a couple seconds late reacting to it. Couture is bewildered why he just laid down. This was a fixed fight and this sport is fake.

before the heavyweight title fight we see backstage practice footage of Tim Sylvia in the locker room in a hat and hoodie and kilt throwing jumping knees to pads. Jeff Monson is in a t-shirt with a hole in it hitting pads with Josh Barnett.

• Tim Sylvia (c) vs. Jeff 'The Snowman' Monson - UFC Heavyweight Championship
Jeff Monson looks like a bunch of different color + design bowling balls all glued together which he still does as far as I know. he also has a big ol steroid gut. Tim Sylvia is loving stupid looking. I can see Marc Ratner in the background and he looks the same as he does today.
Tim Sylvia seriously looks like a big tub of ice cream with a lovely goatee and sideburns drawn on it. they could probably do this fight again today in Rizin if he didn't weigh 500lb.
Monson is just going for takedown shots from the outside. the height advantage for Sylvia is huge, this doesn't even look like the same weightclass. it looks simultaneously like every old wives tale retelling of McGregor vs. Diaz and a NYE freak show fight.
Jeff keeps shooting for takedowns with no result and i am rooting for him to beat this monstrous ice cream tub with pogo sticks sticking out the bottom. Sylvia isn't even monstrously fat but the extra pudge from his stomach just sort of droops over the top of his shorts like the guy's face melting in Robocop. Monson lands the best punch of the round before the bell.
Eddie Bravo scored the round 10-9 Sylvia. I was too upset to score it maybe.

Round 2 i am noticing Monson's left leg tattoo of t he hammer & sickle . Tim Sylvia's shorts link to tim-sylvia.com, im afraid of getting some malware on my pc if I go to it now but I wouldn't be fulfilling my duty if I didn't

these guys are loving the lovely fight as well

Sylvia's blog doesn't actually contain much first hand bodybuilding advice as far as I can see it's just stock pictures of vegetables and such, I didn't read it though.

Round 3 Monson shoots another takedown the exact same way he has been doing but is able to catch Tim's leg at an angle to where he gets him down this time. he is throwing lovely punches from Tim's guard.
Dana is talking to Chuck cageside in front of this and Chuck looks like he may have a panic attack watching this and may need to breathe into a bag.
Monson has Sylvia in side control, Tim tries to get up and Monson flips him back down with a guillotine forcing him to roll back onto his back. this owns.
Tim tries to get up again and Monson tries to guillotine again but ends up in north/south, McCarthy stops the action as Monson has a huge cut under an eye, they start again standing, Monson is knocked or pushed down at the buzzer.

Round 4 starts off looking like the first 2 lovely rounds, Tim Sylvia has mounted Monson, they grapple and both fighters lose the grappling struggle for my attention. Tim has a triangle briefly near the end of the round.

headed into Round 5 the fight looks like this:

they are staggering around staring at each other, the few shots thrown miss by a wide margin. John McCarthy calls time for timidity and tells them to fight. Monson goes to his back and kicks at Tim's legs and Tim looks like poo poo leg kicking Monson. and he looks like a loving idiot too.
probably the worst round in UFC championship history, as bad if not worse than Silva vs. Maia.

Sylvia wins 50-45, 49-46, 49-46 unanimous decision. he remains a big loving stupid idiot who suicks. Couture is interviewing him and the crowd is booing Tim out of the building as he is talking. im glad randy beats him up in the future

the video before the main event recaps Hughes vs. GSP, GSP doing the begging on his knees for the title shot, Hughes beating Royce & BJ Penn. "I am not impressed by your performance."

• Matt Hughes (c) vs. Georges St. Pierre - UFC Welterweight Championship
GSP is walking out, I am the same age now as he is here except I haven't done anything with my life, try not to think about it though. John McCarthy asks "do I have any questions from the challenger?" GSP nods yes, then no.

Round 1 GSP takes the centre and the crowd chants USA. GSP hits a nice 1-2 on Hughes. he is keeping Hughes at a distance with leg kicks, his jab and a spinning kick. GSP drops Matt with a dick kick lol. and again. a point deduction would be the only way GSP loses this round but it doesn't come, and shouldn't have anyway.
Georges catches Hughes' kick and takes him down and lands a knee on the way up off the ground. GSP's takedown defense is incredible. superman punch and a followup flurry and matt hughes is f ucking loopy at the buzzer. I would score it 10-8 GSP.

Round 2 GSP defends another takedown, lands the head kick and finishes Hughes on the ground. GSP is tremendous. Dana White 10 years ago is about half the size he is now, Lorenzo too. GSP: "I look down and I kick in is 'ead."
Lorenzo tells GSP he can have his next fight in Montreal and GSP goes wide eyed "are you serious?" and spins around yelling "ooOHhH poo poo!!!!" and Joe Silva is there as well grinning at this.

Nick Diaz vs. Gleison Tibau was on the undercard which I will watch now.

• Nick Diaz vs. Gleison Tibau
Round 1 Nick shoots for a single leg, Tibau turns it and takes Nick's back. He is transitioning looking for Diaz' arm. Nick escapes and Tibau is in Nick's guard. Tibau keeps escaping and standing up and diving back into Nick's guard. After a couple times Nick tries to grab an armbar which Tibau escapes.
Tibau takes Nick's back again. Nick grabs Tibau's leg and uses it to posture up an is in Tibau's half guard. Nick lands a bunch of strikes to Tibau on the ground. Goldberg is calling him "Nick 'Diablo' Diaz" which I have never in my life heard.

Round 2 Tibau shoots and Nick defends up against the cage. Nick lands a good uppercut and Tibau goes to his back. Nick is standing over him punching him with both hands like at the end of the first round. Tibau looks done and is. Nick Diaz round 2 TKO victory.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Fat Twitter Man posted:

UFC 105: Couture vs. Vera

ugh

By far the best part of this event was the GDT being titled "Haute Couture vs Vera Wang: Ultimate Fashion Championships"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

A good post to send this thread in the right direction.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
I pulled... UFC 86. Rampage and Griffin? That can't be too bad.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
sylvia v monson gross

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

handsome only face posted:

UFC 65 - Bad Intentions

I lost it when i got to the bowling ball monson/pogostick sylvia. Excellent first report.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i got UFC 47: It's On!, Chuck vs. Tito 1

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Outstanding

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Aye Doc posted:

i got UFC 47: It's On!, Chuck vs. Tito 1
It's not just that the events had subtitles, it's that the subtitles are also really bad.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

handsome only face posted:

UFC 65 - Bad Intentions

A pro post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I got UFC 55, featuring Arlovski as One Punch Man

• Locked thread