Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crotch Bat posted:

I did see one on Twitter last night, JMU can claim both the FCS and FBS titles.

e: figured it out, it's Clemson < Pitt < Northwestern < Illinois State(loving really, NW?) < NDSU < JMU

Illinois State held them to 7 points at home. Somebody proposed at the game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MyStereoHasMono posted:

You can't just discount the actual games played because of gut feelings and eyeball tests. In 06 everyone 'knew' the two best teams in the country were OSU and Michigan - you really going to tell me Florida should be playing OSU in the NCG? Earlier in this season many people thought Louisville was the only team that had a chance of beating Bama.

Aside from all that, its tricky to penalize a team for losing in a playoff game. AND one of USC's losses was Alabama's second biggest margin of victory of their entire season, second only to Kent State, by two whole points. So yeah I don't think its outrageous to rank UW above USC.

So why is FSU ranked above UWisc, despite Wisc having one more win and equal losses?

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space

iospace posted:

If we're going by losses, it should be Clemson, Alabama, then Western Michigan :colbert:

Going by losses and wins.

Ohio State beat three teams in the final top 10, including scheduling a marquee OOC opponent. Losses to #1 and #7.
Penn State beat two teams in the final top 10. Did not schedule a tough OOC opponent. Losses to #3, #10, unranked Pitt.

I get the idea of Penn State's head to head counting for a lot but so should everything else, its at the very least close enough to where I dont understand any indignation.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

gently caress Ohio state and the big 10

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The last play from a bunch of different broadcasts, including Clemson, Alabama, and ya boy Finebaum.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/clemsons-national-championship-winning-touchdown-as-he-1791012085

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Ohio State beat three teams in the final top 10, including scheduling a marquee OOC opponent. Losses to #1 and #7.
Penn State beat two teams in the final top 10. Did not schedule a tough OOC opponent. Losses to #3, #10, unranked Pitt.

I get the idea of Penn State's head to head counting for a lot but so should everything else, its at the very least close enough to where I dont understand any indignation.

iospace posted:

This is why I hate "strength of schedule" when it comes to CFB (college sports in general, really). It's 100% arbitrary and people use it to smug when it comes to their team.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
I'm happy Alabama lost

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Pitt was a tough OOC opponent.

This may be sour grapes, but the first month of the season really shouldn't count for much. Teams need time to figure things out and FBS football is the only sport on the planet where you can't play your way out off a slow start. YSU lost three games and played their way to the title game. The Dolphins started 1-4 or something and made the playoffs. Its not how you start, but how you finish. (PSU, USC vs Louisville, OSU)

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

iospace posted:

This is why I hate "strength of schedule" when it comes to CFB (college sports in general, really). It's 100% arbitrary and people use it to smug when it comes to their team.

My schedule can beat up your schedule. Also my schedule works at Nintendo.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Pitt was a tough OOC opponent.

This may be sour grapes, but the first month of the season really shouldn't count for much. Teams need time to figure things out and FBS football is the only sport on the planet where you can't play your way out off a slow start. YSU lost three games and played their way to the title game. The Dolphins started 1-4 or something and made the playoffs. Its not how you start, but how you finish. (PSU, USC vs Louisville, OSU)

Penn State always putting too much emphasis on the back end.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

single-mode fiber posted:

My schedule can beat up your schedule. Also my schedule works at Nintendo.

More or less. At least when the NFL says "Strength of Schedule", it's a clearly defined statistical measure (combined win-loss for all opponents, with ties being half of each).

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

PrinceRandom posted:

gently caress Ohio state and the big 10

:yeah:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kittenmittons posted:

Penn State always putting too much emphasis on the back end.

:staredog:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Penn State and Ohio State have the same number of wins, but Penn State managed to actually score points in its bowl loss. A whole mess of points. Ohio State looked like hot trash and deserves to be shamed.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/PFF_Sam/status/818819466159071236

https://twitter.com/SageRosenfels18/status/818895757470236673

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Sash! posted:

Penn State and Ohio State have the same number of wins, but Penn State managed to actually score points in its bowl loss. A whole mess of points. Ohio State looked like hot trash and deserves to be shamed.

Ohi-0

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/ Even better. Boomer!

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
I was always under the impression that both starting and finishing well are important aspects of success but apparently I am a crazy person.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
People getting really worked up over the meaningless coaches poll in here

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Wow, Cowherd actually responded like a sensible human being.

quote:

All I can say to Dabo Swinney is, you’re a hell of a coach, you made college football better," Cowherd said. "You gave me gave me four-and-a-half hours – the game was a tad long – but four-and-a-half hours of great entertainment. And your players showed such great character in the most crucial moments. I couldn’t be happier for Clemson.

Now I'm angry that he's eating crow in a rational manner!

rear end in a top hat :argh:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Notable great qb Sage Rosenfels weighing in.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kittenmittons posted:

I was always under the impression that both starting and finishing well are important aspects of success but apparently I am a crazy person.

You should probably do pretty well in the middle too

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

whiteyfats posted:

Notable great qb Sage Rosenfels weighing in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3_hi7gOjE0

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/status/818880429382074369

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Watson held onto the ball. And it's more of a hurricane kick than a helicopter.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dude was making a joke at his own expense, y'all, dang

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Besides, this is more akin to the flat spin that killed Goose in Top Gun

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Scarf posted:

Besides, this is more akin to the flat spin that killed Goose in Top Gun

Hey man just because the very first dunk in the NBA wasn't as cool as the first 360 windmill dunk doesn't mean it wasn't groundbreaking.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

quote:

For the first time in 49 years, no college football teams from Texas were included in The Associated Press’ postseason poll when the final Top 25 rankings for the 2016 season were tabulated.

The closest the Lone Star State came to a ranked team among its 12 FBS programs was Houston (9-4), a 34-10 loser to San Diego State in the Las Vegas Bowl. The Cougars were the only team from the state to receive any votes from the AP panel. Houston received eight points from AP voters, which would have placed the team in a tie for 37th nationally with Temple and North Carolina if the rankings extended that far. A total of 42 different schools appeared on at least one of the 60 ballots.

Until Tuesday, the last time the state of Texas failed to place at least one team in the final AP college football poll of the season occurred in 1967, when the poll ranked only a Top 10.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
love it

this season made me a kansas fan (when they're crushing texas dreams)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Scarf posted:

Wow, Cowherd actually responded like a sensible human being.

Now I'm angry that he's eating crow in a rational manner!

rear end in a top hat :argh:

It's only because Clemson is the #1 team now so he has to pretend to give respect. Moment Clemson loses a game next year Dabo will be back to being a fraud who won the NCG on a fluke.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:laffo:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:smugdog:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Actually, what was the final bowl game standings by conference?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

iospace posted:

Actually, what was the final bowl game standings by conference?

ACC had the best record, followed by a tie for second between the Big 12 and Sun Belt. The MAC went winless.

EDIT:

ACC .750
Big 12 .667
Sun Belt .667
C-USA .571
Mountain West .571
Pac-12 .500
SEC .462
Big Ten .300
American .286
MAC .000

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 11, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Winning record against other Power 5 conferences, as well.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The ACC's been getting better for a few years now, it's just everyone else kinda refusing to buy in to the idea even though the evidence is clear as day, especially with how this year went. That bowl record alone is ridiculous at 9-3 but in general almost every program is in an improved state from 5 years ago and has become the most difficult out of all conferences in OOC games.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I don't have a particular issue with Washington being ranked above USC, they were more consistently good during the season. I think USC was better than Washington, but you can't just pretend like their losses to Stanford and Utah don't count

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

The Glumslinger posted:

I don't have a particular issue with Washington being ranked above USC, they were more consistently good during the season. I think USC was better than Washington, but you can't just pretend like their losses to Stanford and Utah don't count

If end of year polls are meant as a reflection on the whole season, absolutely not, Washington had a great year. If the polls are meant as a reflection on how the season ended then USC should be #3.

Speaking of, besides that Ju Ju Smith-Schuster kid did USC lose anyone else to the draft? If not I think they'll make a good run at the CFP next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Crotch Bat posted:

If end of year polls are meant as a reflection on the whole season, absolutely not, Washington had a great year. If the polls are meant as a reflection on how the season ended then USC should be #3.

Speaking of, besides that Ju Ju Smith-Schuster kid did USC lose anyone else to the draft? If not I think they'll make a good run at the CFP next year.

Lets see, both starting tackles, a starting guard, starting D-Tackle, a starting safety, a starting ILB, Plus Juju Smith and probably Adoree Jackson.

So they return a ton of the skill players, and have good depth at O-Line becuase of past injuries

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 11, 2017

• Locked thread