Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!
Hi All,

I am hoping someone who is a bit more familiar with this technology can help me out. I just spent the last ~30 mins or so googling around and just confused myself further I think.
In my googling I kept seeing references to number of columns and how big of a role they play in storage pools. With that said I'm struggling with best practices when it comes to adding additional drives to a existing pool and how columns impact that.

My storage pool is setup as follows:
Mode: Parity
Number Of Drives: 4
2x 4 TB (3.63 TB usable on each)
2x 3 TB (2.72 TB usable on each)
12.7 TB Total

Running a powershell cmd I found:
(Get-VirtualDisk | ft FriendlyName, ResiliencySettingName, NumberOfColumns, NumberOfDataCopies, @{Expression={$.Size / 1GB}; Label="Size(GB)"}, @{Expression={$.FootprintOnPool / 1GB}; Label="PoolFootprint(GB)"} -AutoSize)

This returns:
ResiliencySettingName = Parity
NumberOfColumns = 3
NumberOfDataCopies = 1
Size (GB) = 13005
PoolFootPrint(GB) = 10586

Looking at https://social.technet.microsoft.co..._Storage_Spaces

"Due to striping, a storage space simultaneously allocates capacity from as many disks as its stripe requires. Therefore, when increasing pool capacity, you can usually achieve optimal pool capacity utilization when you add disks in multiples of the number of disks the storage space needs. For example, adding disks in multiples of four might provide optimal capacity utilization for a pool comprised of two-column, two-way mirror spaces (2 columns + 2 data copies = 4 disks per stripe)."

I want to add some additional space to this pool and was looking at 6TB drives but given my current setup I am having trouble interpreting what would be best to add based on the above quote.

My question are:
Are the best practice for storage pools to add drives of the same size?

What would happen if I just added one 6TB drive to this storage pool? Would it result in a ton of unusable space? Bad performance?

Would it just be better to add two 3TB or 6TB drives?

From my reading it appears the max amount of columns allowed in a parity setup is 8. Should I look at changing my number of columns? If so what benefit does this provide? Better performance? More usable space? Note: I understand that to change # of columns I would have to rebuild the pool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread