Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How did all those WW1 planes make it all the way over to London?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I think it's fairly obvious that Blackburn was lying though his teeth through the whole story. Trust me, if he was a WW2 veteran, we'd have had Me-262s deploying from the Nazi moonbase to raid New York.

EDIT: That being said, I wouldn't mind a Battlefield '2' where you fight onboard a Ratte :allears:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 22, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Poil posted:

How did all those WW1 planes make it all the way over to London?

Airfields in Belgium.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SeanBeansShako posted:

Airfields in Belgium.

I was going to go with submarine aircraft carriers, personally.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
Airlaunched from the Zeppelins, obviously.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Excuse me? I believe you'll find those German bombers took off from Bristol.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think my favorite part is how Wilson is engaged in such a drawn-out fistfight as you shoot over his head. It's the part of the story that somehow makes it seem most like a wild action movie invented by Blackburn.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also yeah you are at the very least going to shatter your leg bones if you drop into water from that height.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The story would almost be more believable if it only included the zeppelins, though by this point in the war I don't think they performed any raids since countermeasures had been developed and material shortages meant they couldn't risk it any more.

The German fighters look like late model Fokkers which I guess could make it to London if launched from occupied Belgium but it would be a one way trip after you used most of your fuel to get there, used the rest in some dog fighting them fell from the sky.

Oddly enough, the Germans were the ones who were more likely to get issued parachutes since they realized that skilled pilots were much harder to replace than planes. The allies didn't bother with it since they thought it would make pilots more cowardly and likely to abandon expensive equipment in the field if they had an easy out, or something like that. I don't think being a pilot in WW1 was as glamorous as this game makes it out to be.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I find it funny that all the over-the-top stuff we do in this story is because Blackburn is bullshitting us, while in the next story everything we'll see is supposed to be 100% what really happened. :v:

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm a bit torn on the ending twist myself, namely because I just hate the "Psych! I've been an unreliable narrator this whole time!" twist. I don't mind it if I know going in (Take Dragon Age 2 for example, where you know from the start that Varric is a master bullshitter), but it being an ending twist usually leaves me with a sour feeling.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

radintorov posted:

I find it funny that all the over-the-top stuff we do in this story is because Blackburn is bullshitting us, while in the next story everything we'll see is supposed to be 100% what really happened. :v:

Well, it certainly sounds more exciting than 'I tripped over and knocked myself out in my sentry gear and when I came too my brother was deeeeeeeeeeeeead!

Spoilers for the next chapter, so don't highlight them if you want some ~mystery!~

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

GoneRampant posted:

I'm a bit torn on the ending twist myself, namely because I just hate the "Psych! I've been an unreliable narrator this whole time!" twist. I don't mind it if I know going in (Take Dragon Age 2 for example, where you know from the start that Varric is a master bullshitter), but it being an ending twist usually leaves me with a sour feeling.

Blackburn does call himself a liar in the first cutscene though

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So the French DLC is more than a few weeks away from dropping and is briefly being tested in the beta test edition of the game, and I am hearing many eye rolling comments about the blasted wasteland around one of the Verdun forts being the most legitimate WW1 map YET.

I really don't get this weird possible gamer obsession that the trenches and suffering of the western front translates to fun?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Are we still doing informative posts about how small nation X perceives WWI? I've got one from the Jewish-Israeli (inhabiting a portion of the Ottoman empire arguably known as Palestine at the time of the war) perspective .

WWI was a founding moment in the establishment of the Palestinian / Israeli idea. Not in the same way it was foundational for the Australian / Canadian self-definition as separate from good old England - Jewish nationalism, aka Zionism, was well established by the end of the 19th century. Nor in the sense of shared sacrifices in the hellish trenches of WWI helping forge a national identity - with all due respect to the Jewish muleteers and the like (which reminds me that I really should compile a collection of WWI "dear adorable national minorities we generally treat like poo poo, please enlist and die for the glory of the Kaiser / King" propaganda), they didn't really see a lot of fighting. That is to say - individual Jews saw plenty of fighting, on both sides of the war (and some of them later formed the core of Zionist paramilitary organizations), but specifically Palestinian regiments did not get to do much. In fact, best as I can tell, the most casualties were taken by the Nili spy network - an organization so important not a single English-speaking source I checked regarding WWI in Palestine bothered to mention it. The honored martyrs still have streets and the like named after them, but I doubt one high school student in 100 would be able to tell you anything of substance regarding who they even were. No, as far as popular consciousness regarding WWI is concerned, it's mostly "while people were dying in the hellish trenches of the Western front, general Allenby dropped by and conquered Palestine for the glory of the British empire, the end."

The real significance of the war to Israel comes from a little declaration made in 1917 and its aftermath. Whether due to recognizing the historical justice of Zionist claims of self-determination (which, I believe, is still the official narrative), being pushed by president Wilson (a firm supporter of the ideals of self-determination, at least outside US borders) and the international Jewry (by all accounts, some members of the cabinet were fully convinced that nefarious totally benign Jewish hands were in shadowy control of the American and Russian governments, and establishing the foundations for a Jewish state would greatly strengthen their commitment to the war), or due to needing white-ish allies in the region to safeguard the precious Suez canal (maaaaaybe the most relevant bit?) the British government basically reneged on their promises to the leaders of the Arab Revolt, and promised the establishment of a Jewish homeland within the borders of Palestine.

Furthermore, the declaration, and its aftermath, basically created what we now know as Palestine. The distinct entities we now call Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Palestine were not officially considered as distinct "states" or anything of the sort neither by the Ottoman empire nor the allies (arguably, the Greater Syria promised to the Arab Revolt leaders would include all of the above and parts of Iraq and Egypt). The Zionists certainly considered Palestine to be a separate entity, the former and future state of Israel, but the declaration was (AFAIK) the first official acknowledgement of that position as valid.

This focus on distinct and concrete statehood gave the Zionists a bit of an advantage in negotiations with the Brits, compared to the Arabs. The official narrative states that Arab nationalism was "weakly developed" at the time, and... well, at the very least, there was a lot of thinking along the lines of Pan-Arabism or Pun-Islamic connections, rather than specific concern for the fate of specifically Palestinian Arabs (at least, during and in the immediate aftermath of WWI). Furthermore, the Zionists had a lot of respected diplomats, scientists and politicians (occasionally combining all three in one person) who spoke good English, dressed in Western clothes, and were basically the next best thing to being properly white (never mind actual Zionist Jews related to / in position to influence cabinet members).

Anyways, the war ended with what woulda/coulda/should been "Greater Syria" portions of the Ottoman empire being carved up by France and Britain. Palestine became a British protectorate, a "mandate territory" to be ruled until the natives (and immigrants) were properly educated ready for the onerous white man's burden of self-government. (A mandate - when you declare people have the right of self-determination, but really want to keep your colonies. Brilliant stuff.) Palestine was one of the areas specifically noted as "provisionally" independent and only under temporary British control. Said control lasted until 1948, and we all know how that turned out (the rights and privileges of all inhabitants of Palestine were properly respected, and everyone got along perfectly well until the present day).

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 14, 2017

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

We're taking a detour into multiplayer/history stuff for a couple videos because I need to line up stuff for after the next War Story and I'm stalling for time.

Tanks are a mainstay of the Battlefield franchise. I don't think there's a single game where they just don't appear, but the BF1 tanks are quite a bit different than what you normally get in a BF game. In BF4 you had main battle tanks, Infantry fighting vehicles and mobile anti air tanks. Each had a slew of unlocks available: main weapon, secondary weapon, optics, countermeasures and passive traits were all selectable for each of the vehicle types. Each vehicle had a dedicated number of spawns; a large map could yield up to three main battle tanks, two IFVs and one MAA per team and if you spawned into the vehicle as the driver you would get out and be whatever class you had selected before you spawned.

By comparison there are four tank types in BF1: Heavy, light, artillery truck and Landship, and instead of each of those types being meant for specific roles you can select one of the preset tank loadouts to modify exactly what the tank will be best at. This is how you end up with a landship that has an anti-tank rifle at the front or a heavy tank that shoots flames out the side. There's also a limited number of tanks available per side at any time due to the new Token system. Instead of the tanks getting their own dedicated spawns instead each team has a number of tanks they can have and when a token becomes available the person who selects it gets to choose a tank and spawn it in. When they do this they become the tank pilot and unlike in other BF games this puts them into a specific vehicle pilot class that can repair the tank (or plane) from the driver seat but is meant to die with the vehicle as their weapons and gadgets are not great for infantry combat.

I like the change to the vehicles in BF1, it makes tanks more precious and impactful while also reducing the number of vehicles that players randomly abandon. The problem is that unless you have a couple infantry dedicated to killing a tank when it is on the field they can do serious work. Heavy tanks can have up to four side gunners and a rear gunner in addition to the pilot. If the gunners are paying attention they can clear out most objectives in a few seconds. Light tanks are a menace that can earn a good pilot dozens of kills in a life. Artillery trucks are deadly to armor and infantry alike and fast to boot. Landships kind of suck. The idea is that while there's not as much armor on the map as in previous Battlefield games tanks are still powerful and can mulch teams that aren't willing to bring them down. Every class in the game can do some form of damage to tanks. While Assaults are meant to be the tank killers anyone can equip a light anti-tank grenade. Scouts have K-Bullets; Medics have HE rifle grenades; Support has the HE crossbow, mortar and limpet charges. This means there's often few excuses for not being able to stop a tank from self-healing long enough for some assault or another tank to show up to finish off the enemy vehicle. In practice it is sort of rare to see that teamwork. Most tanks that die to infantry die because they get greedy and don't retreat when they should and instead keep pressing into hostile territory. Believe me, anti tank grenades seemingly start coming from every direction if you don't wait for your own team to catch up to you.

I think tanks currently have a decent balance in the game. Yeah, a guy in a light tank can go 60-0 sitting on the edge of the map and just firing random shots at people on foot, but that's mostly because the tank sat there unopposed or had people running up one at a time instead of coordinating. It's a sad fact of BF games that while everything is about working as a team people just don't want to and then get pissy when they have a hard time because of it.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
This video is brought to you by gently caress planes.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

cokerpilot posted:

This video is brought to you by gently caress planes.

I've collected so many clips of me shooting down planes with tanks that I don't save them anymore. I really have to get around to editing what I have together.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

I've collected so many clips of me shooting down planes with tanks that I don't save them anymore. I really have to get around to editing what I have together.

I'm thorougly impressed by your art of sniping planes.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

Seriously the only way that video could have been more perfect is if you had landed that last tank to plane shot it it.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Greggster posted:

I'm thorougly impressed by your art of sniping planes.

It's kind of easy, but you miss more than you hit. Look at that historical context video where I fired off half a dozen shells at planes and hit nothing.

Shells travel slower and arc more than in BF4, so planes can fly a moderate height and be safe, but to group bombs or be accurate with trench darts planes have to fly low and slow, which is the perfect time to nail them with a round.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
That was a very good update, tanks for posting it.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Flesnolk posted:

unforgivable sin

No.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That joke didn't land? Ship happens, I guess.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:

Samovar posted:

Crucifixion's too good for 'em, suh!

I feel outgunned and outclassed, and thus will tread lightly through this minefield - this no-man's land - of humor.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

First and foremost, BF1 is on super sale over on Origin if you are interested. You can get the Ultimate edition, which includes the season pass for $77 at the moment. For context, the standard game is $60 and the Premium Pass would normally be $110, so worth picking up if you don't own the game and have a PC that is capable of running it (and nearly $80 to burn).

Second: I love the medic class. I absolutely suck with the weapons in the class, but the utility is amazing. Any class that can stop you from having to wait to respawn and run from one point to the next is incredibly useful, especially in game modes like Rush or Operations where you need to be more conservative with your deaths. A good core of medics can keep the game going for a bit longer, sometimes that's all you need to pull out a victory. A group of "I want a mini sniper rifle" people who don't heal or revive and instead run around with the rifle grenades are the bane of every sensible player. They are sadly common.

I don't blame those people who ditch the medic's traditional tools for the rifle grenades, mostly because of how revives work in this game. In previous BF games you had a set time to wait after death in which a medic could bring you back. After that you get brought to the spawn screen and go on with your day. If a medic got to you in time you could simply decide to decline the revive and go to the screen slightly faster. In release BF1 instead of declining the revive after it has been given you can simply skip that entire revive period, the downside being you have to wait out the rest of the revive period unable to spawn. I'm not overly opposed to the idea; if I'm way behind enemy lines by myself I often just hold the skip button and go to the spawn screen. If I'm in the middle of a scrum of epic proportions I'll often decide I don't want medics trying to get me up when they should be shooting or running away. However, most of the time I'm going to sit and wait and see if anyone comes to get me. Thankfully, DICE added a distance readout that tells you how far away the nearest medic with the revive syringe is (even if they are in a vehicle) so you can gauge if someone is coming to get you and hold out for a few extra seconds. Sadly, few people seem to want to use this. I've had people get killed next to me who hold the skip button while I'm standing over their corpse trying to revive them, I've run out of cover through bullets and shells and grenades to get someone back up who just starts holding space the second I get reasonably close. Most Battlefield players seem overly impatient and apparently would rather sit and wait at the spawn screen, possibly because the few seconds extra seconds they get by skipping the revive period may let them nab a tank or plane, than give a teammate a few seconds to get over to them with a syringe.

The medic uses semi-auto rifles. Most of them play like a more rapid firing version of a Scout's sniper rifle. They often are loaded from stripper clips or with individual rounds and have low ammo counts. They are fairly powerful to compensate and shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger. Three total rifles in the class are either fully automatic or can be switched to automatic fire and those are the ones I tend to use simply because my terrible aim and need to be on the front lines means I'm often outclassed if I have to remember to pull the trigger multiple times. They are overall solid guns that most players can do well with if they have some patience. I often feel like the medic and support are meant to be more about helping the team than earning huge kill totals. With 50 points per revive and tons of point available via health restoration items, the medic can throw down on points without killing a single person (for 100 points). I've done it and it can be incredibly entertaining. The support class has a nearly endless set of targets to resupply and can decide to dedicate itself to fixing the team's vehicles instead of equipping one of their explosive options and earn points fast as well. Compare that to the Assault class, which has no team support items, or to the scout class that can kill in a single well aimed shot and gets fewer points from the flare and trench periscope spotting of enemies than a medic does from reviving someone (granted, flare spots can lead to multiple spot assists quickly, which will generate more points than a revive or two).

All classes in BF1 are fairly deadly if used properly, so I don't think it's fair to say that the Medic or Support are meant to only help the team via equipment by any means (I loving love playing aggressive Support), but it feels like their classes provide the most direct benefit to other players without being the kind of thing that will kill enemies. Now that we've covered 3/4 of the classes and 1/2 of the major vehicle types I feel like even the least Battlefield-attention-paying person is probably prepped and ready for something new and different: Operations. I've already recorded the first one and it is a beautiful clusterfuck.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

loving strap in, you'll be here a while once you click on the above link.

Operations is a new game mode for BF1 and it is probably the best new thing the BF franchise has introduced since Rush (which sucked hard in BF4 anyway). Operations blends together the core concepts of Rush and Conquest, but takes you across multiple maps and provides a couple unique twists.

The basic idea is that you have an attacking and defending team with the attacking team having a limit on how many respawns that can be used before they hit a failure state, similar to how Rush works. Also like Rush the map is divided into a series of segments and each segment has a set of objectives that the attacking team is trying to take while the defending team is either trying to stop them or retake the objective before it is too late. Instead of arming a bomb like in Rush, objectives in Operations are taken and lost like in Conquest; members of one team stand in designated areas and take or lose the objective based on if they have more people there. It sounds simple, but when you have 64 players vying for 2 objectives in a fairly compact strip of a map it becomes loving madness (this is why I'll be doing 40 player Operations whenever possible, 64 players is often too many). If the attackers are able to hold both objectives at the same time they take the sector and are tasked with killing all the enemy players in the area before they can mount their next attack. Remaining enemies get tags over their heads to make it easier to hunt them down, and each kill regenerates three tickets for the attacking team. If the attacking team fails to take a sector one of two things happens. The first possibility is that they get reinforced. This is more or less a do-over starting from whichever sector they captured last, but they also get whichever Behemoth a losing team would normally get in a Conquest round. Sometimes even that isn't enough to push through a dug in defense and the other failure state activates: the game ends, the defenders win. If the Attackers finish a map they go on to the next map, but if they needed a reinforcement they can't get that back.

If anything I wish there was maybe a bit more to winning the match than taking the last sector, it seems kind of lackluster to just hold a couple objectives at once as attackers or to just bleed the other team dry as defenders, but that's all that happens. You reach the end of the map or the end of the attacker tickets and the game is over, you get a score based on how well you did and get some historical background from the announcer lady.

In terms of things that happened in this game, that guy with the plane absolutely killed our ability to attack. Fighters are sometimes incredibly powerful, sometimes incredibly lovely, this guy was just really good. Just look at how much time he spends in vehicles and you'll get a glimpse at how people generate crazy numbers in BF1. I also hosed the math on service stars, it takes 100 to get one of them, and that guy had 100. I can't imagine having fun after spending that much time in a vehicle, I don't even have 100 service stars across all my weapons, vehicles and gadgets, this guy has at least 100,000 kills with just one vehicle. Jesus.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Operations is a fantastic idea really that I wish they'd spend more time on developing outside an extension of the game with each DLC.

When you and a group of friends get a good round of Operations, everything is just right. When you don't it really is frustrating. It doesn't help that for some insane reason they won't let AA guns respawn once they are taken out thus making the annoying obsessed arcade skylords almost invincible unless an armour slot is sacrified for the AA truck.

It'd be great if they dropped a version of Operations closer to Back To Basics with rifles and very limited vehicles/other weapons.

Amwhere
Jan 3, 2013
Something to keep in mind that small arms fire hurts planes, and the MG15 makes a decent ersatz AA gun (less so with the suppressive variant, because of the sight.). Also, the scout cars make ok AA platforms too... until someone drives off with it.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Good lord man you put some real hard work into that operation.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

cokerpilot posted:

Good lord man you put some real hard work into that operation.

I didn't think it was anything out of the ordinary. I tend to be willing to switch classes and tactics as needed, something a lot of BF players don't like doing. I think we had a chance if more players went medic early on and if I had switched to support crossbow towards the end of the second map to break the deadlock in the hallway we may have broken through with enough tickets to make it close.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You should consider perhaps recruiting volunteers from this thread for future operations perhaps?

The game itself of half off this weekend and is doing a three day three trial on Origin to promote the up coming French DLC for the game.

Also, another interesting article about the voice acting behind the game.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Ugh buying games not on steam... though BF1 has looked pretty fun to me for a while, I'd strongly consider buying it at half off. where's the sale at?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's on Origin right now.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's on Origin right now.

And Origin, for all its initial flaws, isn't that bad these days. Just turn off Origin In Game to avoid the worst UI bullshit ever. Also Mass Effect 2 is totally free on Origin right now.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
This operation also highlighted that it can be essential to have at least a couple of scouts on an attacking team. Not to to pick off snipers, but to launch spotting flares into buildings at capture points. Spot flares make it clear if someone is hiding in the cap radius slowing down the capture or acting as a spawn point for their other squadmates.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

New War Story, new character, new narrative technique. In this chapter we're playing a Italian fighting Austrian/German forces in the mountains. Of the first three this is probably the most interesting chapter in terms of storytelling technique; Through Mud and Blood was a pretty straightforward story with a single flashback blink-and-you-missed it moment, Friends in High Places was a as-it-happens third person story and now we get this chapter that is told as a flashback to an audience surrogate. It's also easily the most emotionally charged chapter so far with a man fighting to try and keep his brother alive and all. Oddly enough, it is also the most Dumb Loud Shooter style chapter in the game considering it starts off with you strapping a bunch of steel to yourself and hipfiring a giant machine gun.

I may or may not have claimed that the gun our character carries in the chapter weighs more than me. It turns out that is frightfully wrong, as he's carrying a specialized version of the German MG 08/15 that probably weighs no more than 40 pounds before accounting for ammo. The regular, mounted version of that gun does way more than I do, so I was kind of right. Either way, gently caress the idea of running up a mountain with a 40 pound gun, 20 pounds of armor and who knows how much weight in ammo. You don't think about it unless you try it, but running in thin air when you aren't used to it is a real problem. I found that out this summer when I tried my normal morning run in the mountains and found myself gasping for breath after half an hour. The idea of doing that while carrying dozens of extra pounds of equipment is not a pleasant one and probably somehow more unrealistic than anything else in the chapter.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

New War Story, new character, new narrative technique. In this chapter we're playing a Italian fighting Austrian/German forces in the mountains. Of the first three this is probably the most interesting chapter in terms of storytelling technique; Through Mud and Blood was a pretty straightforward story with a single flashback blink-and-you-missed it moment, Friends in High Places was a as-it-happens third person story and now we get this chapter that is told as a flashback to an audience surrogate. It's also easily the most emotionally charged chapter so far with a man fighting to try and keep his brother alive and all. Oddly enough, it is also the most Dumb Loud Shooter style chapter in the game considering it starts off with you strapping a bunch of steel to yourself and hipfiring a giant machine gun.

I may or may not have claimed that the gun our character carries in the chapter weighs more than me. It turns out that is frightfully wrong, as he's carrying a specialized version of the German MG 08/15 that probably weighs no more than 40 pounds before accounting for ammo. The regular, mounted version of that gun does way more than I do, so I was kind of right. Either way, gently caress the idea of running up a mountain with a 40 pound gun, 20 pounds of armor and who knows how much weight in ammo. You don't think about it unless you try it, but running in thin air when you aren't used to it is a real problem. I found that out this summer when I tried my normal morning run in the mountains and found myself gasping for breath after half an hour. The idea of doing that while carrying dozens of extra pounds of equipment is not a pleasant one and probably somehow more unrealistic than anything else in the chapter.

Curious to hear Trin's take on the realism for this one

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here's a nice video on that machine gun, including the steam shooting out of the condenser tube when there's no can attached.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwgGok9cYcw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ainsley McTree posted:

Curious to hear Trin's take on the realism for this one

I'm betting "no one ran up a mountain in a suit of armor and a machine gun." Is the assessment if the wild historical inaccuracies don't cause an brain hemorage on sight.

• Locked thread