Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Freak +3 | Danger +0 | Trouble -1 | Superior +1 | Menace +0
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy: 1 | Conditions: Insecure | Location: Mysterious Cabin

"You want to know how we reproduce?" I ask Xanthippe incredulously. "You're weird." Then I shrug, and tell her. It takes a long time, involves a lot of fairly advanced mathematical concepts by the standards of this place, and at a couple of points I have to summon Klip'e to reproduce technical illustrations. "The vats were a good guess," I add, "but not strictly necessary."

"And i have asked her out," I say. "What do you think the statue was? Is the giving of large ornamental monuments not a perfectly clear signal of intent?"

//////////////////

I stare at the Windspeaker, and parts of her stare back at me from directions the others do not perceive. She is much, much larger than the shell she inhabits, and curiously obscured from my sight. I could pierce her illusion by flexing myself through multiple dimensions, of course, but... not subtly. So instead I sip the decaying, toxic leaves dunked in scalding water.

Tea. What the gently caress is wrong with the people of this dimension?

I stroke the mirror enviously. Yes. This is an interesting and suitably advanced technology. With this, I could bypass many awkward courtship phases with the Empress. I could distill our messy and one-sided relationship down into simple, rational logic.

"Yes," I have a question," I say, as I circumspectly pour the remains of my awful "tea" into Raijin's cup. "Why us? This all feels curiously... tailor-made."

Pierce the mask: 2d6+0 8 What are you really planning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Freak +0 | Danger -1 | Trouble +1 | Superior +1 | Menace +2
Curses! 3/5 | Infamy: 2 | Conditions: Paranoid, Insecure | Location: The Mysterious Cabin

Raijin gently nudged the now-overfilled cup back towards Mandelbrot. He looks at the array of artifacts before them and back at the group. It was strange how perfect this all was. Their mysterious employer, this 'Windspeaker', clearly possessed many secrets of her own and had little trouble gathering information on them without their knowledge. He looked at Mandelbrot, sniffed at the simplicity of his line of questioning, then looked back at her, "It's clear that she shares some connection with Harbinger's... benefactor." His eyes narrowed. "I've heard enough to understand that there is a certain way to things. A cycle, if you will. She is not part of that cycle." He leaned back a bit in his chair. "Am I wrong?"

quote:

12:47 PM <Tricky> Raijin Pierces the Windspeaker's Mask
12:47 PM <Tricky> !r 2d6+2
12:47 PM <Krysmbot> Tricky, 8+2 =

What weakness are you hiding?
What do you care about most right now?
How could I gain influence over you?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Freak -1 | Danger -1 | Trouble +3 | Superior -1 | Menace +2
Curses! 2/5 | Infamy: 2 | Conditions: None! | Location: Mystery Cabin

Oh.my.GOSH. Will you look at all these things!? I've never seen so many valuable artifacts in one place before! Each and every one of these are worth more than I could ever imagine! Think of all the MONEY I could make! I could buy a small island with the amount I could make selling these things off! No, TWO small islands! And I could fill them with servants who would treat me the way I deserve to be treated; like a queen!

...Pull yourself together, Scarlet, you're drooling. Concentrate on the job for now. You can think about the insane amount of money you'll be making later.

Mm, that does beg the question. How did this "Windspeaker" come across these objects? And who is she? I've never heard her name until now. Arai's comment only makes me even more curious about her. "I suppose I'll be the one to ask the question," I lean my elbows on the table, and rest my chin on my kneaded fingers, "What are we trying to accomplish? You say we must break into the Silver Witches ritual chamber, but for what reason? And who is this Silver Witch, exactly? If we are to risk our lives for you, then I believe we'll need a little more detail about our job, hm?"

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 23, 2017

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

Freak +0 | Danger +0 | Trouble +2 | Superior +2 | Menace +1
Curses! 1/5 | Infamy 1 | Conditions: | Location: The Congregation

But could it be? Could it really be, her?

No, no I'm imagining things. The Shadow is long gone, where ever he has gone he took his tools with him. The idea that these things could just so happen to be in this random stranger's possessions is unlikely in the highest.

Just his mind playing more tricks on him.

He turned away from the mysterious woman and went to check his map, and possibly plot a course through the strange tower before them.

20:07 TheNabster Gospel is gonna do some actual SCHEMING
20:07 TheNabster With Superior+2
20:07 TheNabster !r 2d6+2
20:07 Krysmbot TheNabster, 3+2 = 5
20:07 TheNabster MOTHERFU-

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Harbinger

"Well, since nobody else seems to have stacked a claim, I suppose you'll get this one first." the Windspeaker notes, and within the blink of an eye the other artifacts are just... gone. You feel a small rift in time-space that dissipates quickly. Teleportation, most likely.

Well, now you have it. This item alone should make dealing with the defenses a breeze.

Mandelbrot Threat

Her face remains as expressionless as before as she replies. "Well, I'm interested in the abilities some of you have. As you can see, I am a collector of the strange. That personality trait carries over to the people I associate with, in a way. I simply want to get to know you better, that's all."

This is a test. She wants to find out your capabilities for future reference. It's very likely she could pull this off without you.

Raijin

She briefely locks eyes with you, and for an instant, you feel a certain terror, as if as you have been noticed by a predator. However, it fades within the same second, and is instead replaced by what feels like nostalgia. "Not part of the cycle, huh? Such a strange phrase to use for beings that should have been buried alongside their history."

After a very deliberate pause, she continues. "But yes, I know Lavelle back from when she was merely a misguided woman. Does that answer satisfy you?"

While not a weakness per se, that moment you locked eyes with her told you quite a lot. That kind of terror created by a simple look is simply not something a human can achieve. It's highly likely she isn't entirely human. And given the fact that she corrected it so quickly, she seems intent on hiding that fact.

Also, you're able to tell that she REALLY wants this ritual to go off without a hitch. Almost obsessively so. Whatever it is, it's hugely important to her.

If you think you can pull it off, you could probably blackmail her with either of these facts pretty effectively. However, as you've come to realize, she is a lot more powerful than her form suggests. Be careful~

Scarlet Rose

"It's relatively simple. You find the Tower, you find out how to deal with its defenses, and then you help me cast a ritual in it's ritual chamber. Doing so will undoubtedly draw attention, but that's where you come in." she explains.

... Well, to be honest, it feels like she explained just as little as the last time... but at least you know a tiny bit more about the job, right?

Gospel

"While I do approve checking the map of the tower, perhaps you should focus on finding the tower itself first. I'm sure the more magically inclined members of your team are capable of doing so." she voices as you try to check the map. Which... doesn't seem very helpful to begin with. It seems like the tower is partly non-euclidean, and also capable of changing its own form in response to threats. What you have is merely the neutral layout, if it detects nothing of note around it.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 28, 2017

• Locked thread