Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Seriously. I was in the middle of mocking that scene when the two conveniently-unimportant characters joined up with them and promptly got pasted, but THAT shut me right up until the credits rolled. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

First Carl Weathers and now her. Gotta kill off all of Sawyers black partners :mad:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Carl Weathers is 69! Good looking bastard.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

First Carl Weathers and now her. Gotta kill off all of Sawyers black partners :mad:

Didn't he just leave the district through the tunnel? I don't remember them killing him.

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
Holy poo poo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muscles like this! posted:

Didn't he just leave the district through the tunnel? I don't remember them killing him.

Yeah he went off to live in his mountain cabin or something.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hey this season is actually good. The first had the promise of a good story but had a "Network Sci Fi show perpetually on the chopping block" feel to it, I really like everything they've done this season so far. Bowman's partner getting iced was totally unexpected

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I hope the greatest day actually happens this season and it isn't some garbage they save to the last episode and they are actually all dead and then a dog

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Is Kate not allowed to fire the nanny for some reason?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Is Kate not allowed to fire the nanny for some reason?

The nanny was sent to spy on the family and start brainwashing their kids by the government.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I remember she was given to them when Bowman got his new job, but not tjat she was a spy

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Okay, now I am convinced that it is totally time travel after that drone scene. Seems to me that the drones have marked up important people for the future or so on that they can't kill.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's pretty far fetched. Just seemed to me that he didn't get shot because he's still in the system as an employee who is working for the aliens.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I figured it was because the kid was in the line of fire. Didn't the little girl quote something from her secret book about how the hosts needed all the children?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yep, makes sense.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
She's officially a tutor not a nanny, But yeah, she's from the government and there would be issues if anyone pretended like they didn't like her brainwashing the kids.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I just figured the drone didn't shoot because Bowman has a transit pass. How you go about getting from sector to sector isn't that big of deal to the drones and they've all got his staff photo somewhere in their harddrives, so carrying the thing is more for the redhats.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

DarkCrawler posted:

Okay, now I am convinced that it is totally time travel after that drone scene. Seems to me that the drones have marked up important people for the future or so on that they can't kill.

He just has a transit pass. And stop spoiler tagging speculation.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He also doesn't actually have the transit pass any more. He lost it during the trade and didn't get it back.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Even if he had it it might be useless cause it was issued under Synder, who got kicked out of the job.

counterfeitsaint posted:

She's officially a tutor not a nanny, But yeah, she's from the government and there would be issues if anyone pretended like they didn't like her brainwashing the kids.
Also she happens to be like buddy buddy with Nolan (if not also religious nuts like him) because they're in the same alien church group.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Effective proselytization involves adapting to the local culture. I like that the alien imperialists have their own weird space religion that they are fuzing with Earth religions to make it more palatable. I imagine they'll find a way to gently caress this up, but both religion and colonialism are often topics that come up in Sci-Fi but are rarely mixed (except when the message is "humanity's faiths are super special, also Jesus is real"). I'm curious to see where they take this.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh poo poo! It's Toby Huss, of The Adventures of Pete & Pete/Halt And Catch Fire fame!

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Man that last episode sucked, bunch of drama and an ending where you know the annoying blond lady isn't really dead because she lacks the constitution to commit suicide. No boom booms or even a cool drone shot

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah that was a pretty slow episode that didn't really feel as great as the others, I do enjoy the new scenes at the start of each episode that go beyond LA though

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Feral Integral posted:

Man that last episode sucked, bunch of drama and an ending where you know the annoying blond lady isn't really dead because she lacks the constitution to commit suicide. No boom booms or even a cool drone shot

I assume she actually did die, hence the irony of the final shot (plus reference to the Panopticon).

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Feral Integral posted:

I think she's gone. Definitely took a bunch of the pills before we panned out to her minder being on a bathroom break or whatever.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
It's a little hard to believe with the level of surveillance displayed in this episode, especially after having Toby Huss explicitly saying that they're watching Jennifer, for the Transitional Authority to 'miss' the Bowman family secrets.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

xerxus posted:

It's a little hard to believe with the level of surveillance displayed in this episode, especially after having Toby Huss explicitly saying that they're watching Jennifer, for the Transitional Authority to 'miss' the Bowman family secrets.

Did you miss the part where all that surveillance is new and they are testing it in this block?

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I get that the system is new.
I can understand not having enough people to review all the cameras everywhere.

My issue is they had a specific person saying they're gonna review all of Jennifer's activities (and that if she had a secret she better reveal it now!)
and that they would miss her deleting footage.

or maybe that's why she's killing herself.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I have to give some credit to the film crew, they somehow mitigate Sarah Callies's forehead to take up less than half the shot in her scenes.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think they're going to reveal eventually that Jennifer's in interrogation and they got all the dirt on Sawyer. She was saved just in time thanks to alien anti pill technology.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, I don't think I was expecting that for the ending of Jessica Parker Kennedy's story arc.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Physics goons, what kind of fallout would a "dirty" antimatter explosion have? I'm guessing lots of x-rays and gamma radiation but how much? Plus vaporizing whatever that ship was made out of would probably be not good. Anything super weird to worry about beyond heavy metals?

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
If by "fallout" you mean lasting radioactivity, then essentially none. The fallout from a nuclear detonation is from the uranium/plutonium that was vaporized without undergoing a nuclear reaction. A matter-antimatter reaction doesn't rely on radioactive materials and the reaction is 100% efficient: all of the antimatter reacts with an equal amount of antimatter and it's all converted into energy. It'd unleash a ton of heat and gamma rays, but there would be no lingering after-effects.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm sure DARPA is got one on R&D list.

or... real science.

“If you add up all the antimatter we have made in more than 30 years of antimatter physics here at CERN, and if you were very generous, you might get 10 billionths of a gram. Even if that exploded on your fingertip it would be no more dangerous than lighting a match.”

Math goons, scale that up to a gram and energy output?

'a gram of antimatter would cost approximately a “million billion dollars.”'

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 25, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You're assuming the alien ship has any antimatter on board to begin with. It was probably a short range shuttle, it could easily run on something else.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Fair but the secondary explosion completely took it out. I suppose they could have an Antarean-like self-destruct system for cases like that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Odd thought: have they confirmed that the drones (or that large prowling unit we glimpsed a few episodes ago) are actually robots?

I'm wondering how far the Half Life 2 parallels go, and whether those robots are actually cyborgs (which, additionally, might explain what the Hosts are doing with the human population).

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

If they've mastered space travel, I'm sure they've figured out that turning your prisoners into cyborg murder thralls is a loving terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I really like this show and the raid scene was really well done

I'm hoping that Burke turns out to be a deep inside man for a resistance cell, that's at least where my mind went to after executing a bunch of prisoners and then grabbing Bowman during the interrogation, distracting him for just enough time for Frankie to kill herself

• Locked thread