Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Sudden thought: they're depopulating the zones, but they're actually converting humans into alien kind, rather than outright killing us. Hence the blocks, and the general maintenance of human life in general. They're farming us. Hence the candidacy lists and the moon facility -- it's a factory in which humans are the raw materials, rather than the workers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RSA and BRS likely refer to respiratory sinus arrhythmia and baroreceptor sensitivity, both are related to heart function.

C3H6O3 is the formula for several different compounds. The most mundane of them are lactic acid and sunless tanning products while others include solvents and a component in hexamine fuel tablets.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That doctor is in really good shape, the soldier is dumb but both physically and emotionally stable, and O'Brien is a mess emotionally

I'm sure they don't mean anything and are just random set design stuff, I guess we might see O'Brien

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Professor Shark posted:

That doctor is in really good shape, the soldier is dumb but both physically and emotionally stable, and O'Brien is a mess emotionally

I'm sure they don't mean anything and are just random set design stuff, I guess we might see O'Brien

At first I was convinced this was misposted and meant for the Star Trek thread.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's interesting how this season has been completely willing to blow up the premise like it has. They definitely could have drawn things out another season or two.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this! posted:

It's interesting how this season has been completely willing to blow up the premise like it has. They definitely could have drawn things out another season or two.

all i know is someone better loving punch an alien

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Former Proxy Snyder isn't quite up there with Gaius Baltar or Lt Simcoe from Turn as being one of the best scenery chewing bad guys you root for and want to win, but he's getting goddamn close!

He is such a weasel but every time he comes out on top I cheer harder. :allears:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

That was kind of a lame episode given the premise. Last scene was decent at least

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Snyder is gonna be the hero at the end of all this. A slimy, obsequious hero who slithers his way to redemption.

Also, whooda thunk gormy-faced Bram would have such a talent for jihad?

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Bram really sucks and I wish he had taken the shells instead of Patrick

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

jfood posted:

Snyder is gonna be the hero at the end of all this. A slimy, obsequious hero who slithers his way to redemption.

Also, whooda thunk gormy-faced Bram would have such a talent for jihad?

But he has to still be completely selfish and doing it all for himself. Even Baltar had some redemption at the end. I don't want Snyder to be a totally face turned buddy with the good guys. He can help them, but it's gotta be all about setting himself up to win.

:getin:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I'm still laughing at the whole telling a story from different viewpoints storytelling device. Will's story was wake up leave bunker and then come back. Katie's contribution was hangout in bunker with kids. It felt like the episode was missing a lot of scenes

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

This episode wasn't missing scenes, it was just poorly written.

Telling the same events at the same time from multiple perspectives only works when you see the same events. This was skipping back and forth in the timeline and really only the first and last tied together, and then they bludgeoned you over the head with it.

The premise for this whole show deserves better than it's gotten. It's not the show we want but it's the show we deserve.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If Will is on the SS Alien's super secret list of people to kidnap and put in space coffins why didn't they snatch him up the instant he joined the Occupation?

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
I never got Baltar's appeal. He's a wierd panicky shithead with inscrutable (even to the writers) motivations. Is he legit evil? Is he just crazy? Is he a robot? Is he a loving ANGEL WTF HOW DID THAT SHOW GO SO FAR OFF THE RAILS AHSGSDG.

Snyder is my kind of a villain. A smug, competent, weaselly rear end in a top hat. King Weasel.

A man so weaselly that when he fucks up hard enough that the labor camp he is running is nuked from orbit, the Governor General sticks her neck out to save him so that she can have him in her pocket to weasel her out of her own poo poo situation.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What I like about Snyder is that he actually *is* the best friends these people have in the occupational government. He's a slimy weaselly gently caress who does actually want the best for humanity and is trying to actualize that goal. It's just that the methods he's using to further his goal of "what's best for humanity" necessarily involve enough tolerance for compromise that the end solution is still genocide.

It's a good lesson in these times.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Series ends with Snyder the King of the Hosts, Chronicles of Riddick-style.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'd rather it ends with Snyder smiling smugly as he's sentenced to death, knowing that he saved a colony of humans. Since it is USA, he will make a point of saying this so the audience catches on.

Followed by a scene-smash where that colony (the last human colony!) is processed into soylent or whatever the aliens are doing with people. Starring whichever members of the main cast as we understand it now we are supposed to actually empathize with.

Possibly/ideally in split screen if they want to get "artistic"?

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
Snyder would never sacrifice himself for anyone else. He's looking out for number one. It's just that he's not a sociopath. He is capable of empathy and doesn't enjoy cruelty. He likes helping people if it doesn't set him back, but if he thinks an action will have any degree of negative impact on him then it's not gonna happen.

However, nice guy or not, I still don't understand why he rescued Bram.

EDIT: Well, I mean, if he was saving THE LAST humans as the aliens were leaving Earth for good then I could see it happening. But that would imply that he was gonna get it too, so it's not really a full-on self-sacrifice.

GraceGarland fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 26, 2017

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
I mean really, why the hell did he save Bram? Bram is the only witness to Snyder's involvement in blowing up the ship. Letting him be nuked would tie up the only loose end.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ToadStyle posted:

Snyder would never sacrifice himself for anyone else. He's looking out for number one. It's just that he's not a sociopath. He is capable of empathy and doesn't enjoy cruelty. He likes helping people if it doesn't set him back, but if he thinks an action will have any degree of negative impact on him then it's not gonna happen.

However, nice guy or not, I still don't understand why he rescued Bram.

EDIT: Well, I mean, if he was saving THE LAST humans then I could see it happening. But that would imply that he was gonna get it too, so it's not really a full-on self-sacrifice.

That's not a contradiction in my understanding of slimy Snyder.

Side note: Snyder -- antisemetic or not? Vaguely Yiddish name portrayed by an actor from a Jewish background with semetic features who is a spineless collaborator and/or a secret mastermind who was a "Dean at a high level university" and "was a professor of economics".

I'm wrestling with the character. Thoughts?

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
Well, I definitely think there's some Israel/Palestine inspiration going on. The wall even kinda looks like a futuristic mega-version of the West Bank wall. In the first few episodes, before it was explicitly spelled out that the occupying force was aliens, I was amused by the thought that the twist would be "ITS REALLY THE JEWS."

But also, I thought they were calling the aliens "The Rabs" (like "Rabbis") instead of "The Raps," so maybe I was just primed to see it that way.

Shbobdb posted:

So do you think he felt like he stood to gain something by rescuing Bram?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Remember he didn't know Bram's father was a suspect of anything at this point. In his mind, Will Bowman is the highest placed ally he has in government besides the governor general, so it would make sense to stay on his good side even if he's just a low level cop.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

While plugging in his cell phone to charge the battery, Snyder crashes the power-grid and disables all the drones, freeing humanity. The last three remaining Texans get their vengeance and kill all the Raps, somehow.

I'd be cool with that.

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003

Astroman posted:

Remember he didn't know Bram's father was a suspect of anything at this point. In his mind, Will Bowman is the highest placed ally he has in government besides the governor general, so it would make sense to stay on his good side even if he's just a low level cop.

The ship blew up at night, and the camp got nuked during daylight. I find it hard to believe that Snyder didn't have enough time between the explosion and the evacuation to at least begin suspecting Bram (and Snyder's own) involvement in the sabotage. IMO, being on Will's good side doesn't seem nearly valuable enough to warrant Snyder rescuing the only witness to his (admittedly unwitting) treason.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know, would you be willing to piss off Will Bowman?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Shbobdb posted:

Side note: Snyder -- antisemetic or not? Vaguely Yiddish name portrayed by an actor from a Jewish background with semetic features who is a spineless collaborator and/or a secret mastermind who was a "Dean at a high level university" and "was a professor of economics".

I'm wrestling with the character. Thoughts?

I think you're looking way too hard for something to get offended by. The name Snyder is not Jewish. http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/Snyder

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know, would you be willing to piss off Will Bowman?

I certainly wouldnt

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Last night was pretty good, very tense and dramatic. And the last scene was :asoiaf:

I was mildly interested in this series after season 1, but the current season really got me

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Man we had some pretty awesome action tonight and some high level political dancing. Pretty awesome, especially with Broussard literally calling in a drone strike. Also a very Derek Reese style death for pilot.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

J33uk posted:

Man we had some pretty awesome action tonight and some high level political dancing. Pretty awesome, especially with Broussard literally calling in a drone strike. Also a very Derek Reese style death for pilot.

The episode was good but that wasn't at all a Derek Reese death. Once she said that they had a Rap but didn't give any more info I knew she was either going to take a bullet or reveal herself as a mole once they had the gauntlet.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Too bad about Greatest Day. We all knew where it would end up but I was hoping they'd play with it more.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

The episode was good but that wasn't at all a Derek Reese death. Once she said that they had a Rap but didn't give any more info I knew she was either going to take a bullet or reveal herself as a mole once they had the gauntlet.

Oh it certainly didn't approach the heights of what TSSC pulled off but it did have that nice kinetic "Oh gently caress they seemed important and it went down in a few seconds with no fanfare" kinda feeling.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

When Bowman came back they said he and Will might be on a list because of a document they found in a car? I don't remember that. What were they referring to?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought we only saw Will on the list? Was Brussard on it as well?

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
A couple episodes back Broussard and co. were trying to hijack some occupation vehicle and when he jumped into the driver's seat there was a terminal with some people's photos and information on it. Will's info was on it:
http://imgur.com/a/JuMIn

We never saw Broussard's info on the list but he stopped scrolling through once he found Will

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just caught up with the last couple episodes, really enjoyed that theatre scene! This show has great action sequences

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lastdancer posted:

A couple episodes back Broussard and co. were trying to hijack some occupation vehicle and when he jumped into the driver's seat there was a terminal with some people's photos and information on it. Will's info was on it:
http://imgur.com/a/JuMIn

We never saw Broussard's info on the list but he stopped scrolling through once he found Will

Very High RPG stats

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
Nuking LA better happen. I'm ready to see other blocs/the dead zone. Or space! Someone better go to space in s3.

Also, I think the aliens want Bowman and Broussard's sweet sweet bodies. Those men in black from a few episodes back were weirdos so I think they were actually aliens who can't human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm assuming that Will and Broussard are going to be going for a fun adventure beyond the wall to find the cell

• Locked thread