Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

This thread and the incidents preceding it are an excellent example of people completely overreacting and being incapable of handling a black person in power, however small that power may be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

joeburz posted:

This thread and the incidents preceding it are an excellent example of people completely overreacting and being incapable of handling a black person in power, however small that power may be.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, Bait

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Sid Vicious posted:

i think he is talking about the posting of gifs in response to posts as opposed to adding to the discussion not necessarily the use of gifs in probation reasons but i am not tolkien minority so this is conjecture

shhhhh im totally mad about probations and d&d users aren't misconstruing what im saying purposefully because im a mean gbs man who says the retard word

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Oil of Paris posted:

i know that the prevailing argument strategy in DnD is poo poo like this

This seems like a problem that should be addressed long before we even ask who should be moderating. Pithy no-content rebuttals that say nothing more than "heh, you're dumb" aren't particularly debate or discussion.

This may run into the "I'm not here to educate you" problem, but informative sources for answering common questions and good-faith posting should deal with that.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Sid Vicious posted:

i think he is talking about the posting of gifs in response to posts as opposed to adding to the discussion not necessarily the use of gifs in probation reasons but i am not tolkien minority so this is conjecture

im an elf irl and demand fair representation

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

joeburz posted:

hmm this is a good thing to post about the owner of the websites wife certainly

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Tolkien minority posted:

shhhhh im totally mad about probations and d&d users aren't misconstruing what im saying purposefully because im a mean gbs man who says the retard word

stfu retard bitch

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Sid Vicious posted:

I dunno, if someone posts something expressly against the thread rules and keeps on doing it, I don't think a flippant gif is going to do any less adding to the conversation than calling them a dipshit

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

im an elf irl and demand fair representation

:lol:

Glad to see humor is still a thing here.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Dicky mouse posted:

Just like how I keep getting people trying to troll me for "whinning" about that sixer you gave me. Maybe there should be a rule that you dont import poo poo off site. Maybe PM a admin or Mod. Oh yeah it was a mod who posted about my whinning in QCS.
You're still on about this

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

Yeah, but at some point it's the same poeple over and over again doing the same poo poo because they can't be bothered to be educated.

this is the poo poo I'm talking about right here:

Chelb posted:

*A person hands out a grand total of four six hour probations with gifs attached to them*

this is ruining the discourse!!!!!!

joeburz posted:

completely ignoring the issue. refusing to debate. insisting this is not something that has been brewing for a long time, and is just because of the new mod. fragile white tears crying because a black woman finally has power over them

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

The GBS/QCS-ification of D&D begins.

its high loving time too

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Invisible Handjob posted:

thank you

all anyone is saying is that when someone comes in here with an opinion you find disturbing, you tell them why it is wrong. like it or not, these forums are mostly stupid ignorant white people. full of white tears. like the good ol' country of the USA most of you live in and despise.

if you are not willing to educate, debate, and explain to people why their opinions are wrong in your view and instead just label them racists and dogpile upon them shouting them down, then just rename this forum the safe space

This is how I've always felt about D&D. Rather than throwing probations/bans around like penny candy actually debate someone and tell them why you think they're wrong.

Also kiwifarms is a fun forum.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

*is totally cool and good with having a black president*
*thinks an unpaid volunteer mod on an internet comedy forum is dumb who is black*
uhhhh clearly u have a problem with black people in power!

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Chelb posted:

I dunno, if someone posts something expressly against the thread rules and keeps on doing it, I don't think a flippant gif is going to do any less adding to the conversation than calling them a dipshit

it is when its a mod doing it instead of like, idk, enforcing the rules i guesS? i dont know i really hate this subforum im just here to piss people of

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Chelb posted:

So I guess this wraps back around to people getting mad at a handful of six hour probations? because that's some pretty weak poo poo, op

i think youre, again, oversimplifying things. probations that are explicitly linked to ideology are pretty lame in DnD, especially since the one guy probated was actively trying to explain and clarify (indeed, debate and discuss) his viewpoint and was then probated for doing so

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Sid Vicious posted:

I'm kinda stumped that people interpreted 'taxs approval of kiwi's creative side as him approving EVERYTHING on that site.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

completely ignoring the issue. refusing to debate. insisting this is not something that has been brewing for a long time, and is just because of the new mod. fragile white tears crying because a black woman finally has power over them

Well yeah, racism's been going on for a pretty long time

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This seems like a problem that should be addressed long before we even ask who should be moderating. Pithy no-content rebuttals that say nothing more than "heh, you're dumb" aren't particularly debate or discussion.

This may run into the "I'm not here to educate you" problem, but informative sources for answering common questions and good-faith posting should deal with that.

IMO this is a really bad opinion to have in this subforum. Having lurked around for more than ten years a lot of my niche progressive opinions have been shaped by people willing to explain their stances and why something is wrong, rather than someone posting lena dunham squatting and yelling "NAY NAY!" or something.

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
does anyone remember laughter

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
for the record I don't think Koalas March has done anything wrong and has been a fine mod so far, and should stay as one

trying to oversimplify and make it about her is ridiculous. this turd has been brewing a long time

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

lol at mods upset that LadyAmbien posted this in public

Clearly it was done to show, publicly, that you're getting called out for doing a bad job and the consequences of not changing. I mean that's in the first post. To put it another way. You're doing a bad job running this subforum and instead of accepting that your fake boss will fire you for not meeting your comedy quota, you're complaining it wasn't done in private so nobody will know you are getting called out for being bad.

I don't mod D&D. I just think that allowing blanket statements about groups as long as they're not "too extreme" opens the door to a lot of poo poo. It would have been good to discuss exactly how much hate speech is allowed with the volunteers who spend their time moderating this forum before letting all of the posters know that racism is now ok as long as you're not personally attacking anyone. Right now, mods have to parse what exactly this announcement means for the day-to-day modding of D&D and this is why we have the mod forum.

defectivemonkey fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 12, 2017

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Archer666 posted:

I'm kinda stumped that people interpreted 'taxs approval of kiwi's creative side as him approving EVERYTHING on that side.

i agree and i posted a big post about it here in this thread even

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Chelb posted:

Well yeah, racism's been going on for a pretty long time

yup

rename this shithole the safe space

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

shoophobo posted:

yeah thats the thing that sounds like this right "huff huff huff"

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Chelb posted:

it's barely even a whole step above an image macro. if you're so bitchmade you have to resort to those just put the person you don't like on ignore

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Tolkien minority posted:

i dont give a poo poo about 6 hour probations i just want somethingawful to be a level of discourse higher than tumblr

HAHAH AH ahH AHAHAHHA hAAHHAHAHA

Tolkien minority posted:

SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT THIS BIG GAY FAG MAKIN UTUBE VIDEOS NO1GIVSE poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

shoophobo posted:

your av isn't laughing bucko :owned:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

shoophobo posted:

i keep it locked in a jar by my bedside and reminisce over better days

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

The CIA really needs to take back control of their debate and discussion forum. :lol:

Oh no I mean those are two mods whose backgrounds I remember. I don't remember what AA does but I remember it's also kind of important. I'm just saying the forum's has a tendency (in d&d anyway) to have mods who have really rich backgrounds.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Involving ones self in either side of the current internet culture war really seems like a fast ticket to brain damage.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

yup

rename this shithole the safe space

Yeah gently caress this place if we are discouraged from racism why even live

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

shoophobo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBhJZNY9e9c

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Archer666 posted:

I'm kinda stumped that people interpreted 'taxs approval of kiwi's creative side as him approving EVERYTHING on that site.

It fucks up their argument if they inerpret it like most sane people did.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

Like, it seems like if a thread isn't intended for debating, it shouldn't be in Debate and Discussion? It just seems like such a thread only exists in such a forum for the credibility that forum gives compared to any other forum on the Funny Website.

I think this is a strange observation considering how long you've been a part of the D&D forums. It's more of a discussion forum centered on political or civic topics. That thread focuses on issues black folks face, somewhat, as much as some other thread might focus on discussion about another country's politics.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
What if D&D took of the kid gloves and allowed everything, short of doxxing or threatening a life, go for a week?

Just flat out unbridled free speech.

Think GBS 2.0, just to let the steam off in this terrible forum.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i have no idea what this kiwi thing is or how it relates to Debate and/or Discussion

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Sid Vicious posted:

i agree and i posted a big post about it here in this thread even

yeah, but i read his posts as if he was wondering why people are bringing up dox stuff & that's pretty much why, i'd guess.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

CrazyLittle posted:

HAHAH AH ahH AHAHAHHA hAAHHAHAHA

i stand by calling the annoying youtube man who is not homosexual nor fat a big gay fag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

it is when its a mod doing it instead of like, idk, enforcing the rules i guesS? i dont know i really hate this subforum im just here to piss people of

It's possible to enforce the rules and also have a cool fun time with beyonce, op.

Oil of Paris posted:

i think youre, again, oversimplifying things. probations that are explicitly linked to ideology are pretty lame in DnD, especially since the one guy probated was actively trying to explain and clarify (indeed, debate and discuss) his viewpoint and was then probated for doing so

Actually, I see four posts made by people who were either expressly told to knock their posts off for being against the rules of a thread, or being downright contemptuous of the people arguing with them

• Locked thread